General Trek Talk Star Trek: Starfleet Academy - Paramount+

Primal Slayer

Let the Siren scream
Reaction score

Starfleet Academy series in development at P+.

Seems like this would be the kind of show that'd make for a good anthology show. Each season focusing on a different time period of Starfleet.

"For a younger audience" suggests this is looking at a young teenage audience. Which sure, go ahead. Just more Lower Decks and old school Trek than... everything else.

I'll always give a ST series a chance, but the most recent ones vary wildly in how much I like them.

I despise Discovery, Picard was OK, but nothing exceptional, but I love Lower Decks depite it being the one I had the lowest expectations for.
A shame The Orville isn't ST, it's the closest thing to classic Trek of the bunch, even if they try to shoehorn in a little too much humor (thankfully later episodes mostly eased back on this).

I’m keen. It’ll be fun to see what people are like before they become seasoned Star fleet professionals. Hopefully they go full x-men/ Harry potterish and get some fun actors to play the teachers

Younger Audience essentially means the likes of Riverdale, but in Trekworld. It's going to be about a bunch of horny teens doing stupid things whilst trying to make it through the academy. We already have enough teeny dramas that I'm not sure one set in the Trek universe is going to do too well, and there's also the fact that not every cadet would be young.

If this goes ahead, I'm expecting 95% of the cadets will be human too. Doesn't quite make sense w when you think of the Federation, but heh... I'm sceptical of how well this'll do, especially as on ongoing series, because do I really want to watch a show about mischievous and know-it-all humans in a society where humanity has supposedly overcome their selfish and bitter nature?

Yeah, I don't think think Riverdale is a good example. Think more of the various Disney/Nick teen shows

I'll always give a ST series a chance, but the most recent ones vary wildly in how much I like them.

I despise Discovery, Picard was OK, but nothing exceptional, but I love Lower Decks depite it being the one I had the lowest expectations for.
A shame The Orville isn't ST, it's the closest thing to classic Trek of the bunch, even if they try to shoehorn in a little too much humor (thankfully later episodes mostly eased back on this).

I think the excessive humour in the early episodes of the Orville was probably partly for legal reasons. There is a defence against plagiarism when something is considered a parody. By putting the humour in, McFarlane could get away with what was essentially a Star Trek show without legal ramifications. Once it was established, he could then scale back on it and do it as he always wanted to do it as a straight up homage.

Of course, he still needs to keep the humour in there to get away with a parody but doesn't have to go as full in on it now.

I think the excessive humour in the early episodes of the Orville was probably partly for legal reasons. There is a defence against plagiarism when something is considered a parody. By putting the humour in, McFarlane could get away with what was essentially a Star Trek show without legal ramifications. Once it was established, he could then scale back on it and do it as he always wanted to do it as a straight up homage.

Of course, he still needs to keep the humour in there to get away with a parody but doesn't have to go as full in on it now.

That's not how IP law works in the US.

Yeah, I don't think think Riverdale is a good example. Think more of the various Disney/Nick teen shows

I actually could see them aiming for like a riverdale or gossip girl type audience with this. That’s ok, it’s good to get new fans into Star Trek and maybe also include different people that haven’t had a chance to appear yet in the series like those shows have done

I would like to see Future Earth more, it is always shown briefly. We would also get to see the future version of our Solar system with cities on Luna(the moon). That is if the cadets still practice flight in our solar system and don't just stick to holodecks. But the holodecks could have the solar system as the training ground. But I would watch just to see Future Earth. Hopefully the people writing this understand that Starfleet isn't just Humans, and we get some Aliens in there. I am thinking a bolian, a benzite, obviously a Vulcan. It would be interesting to see why Vulcans join Starfleet instead of the Vulcan Science Academy. They usually have something in their past that leads them to Starfleet.

Just found out Tawny Newsome (Mariner from LD) is going to be a writer on this. That should be fun.

Officially won't be filming till late summer, probably a 2026 release.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"