• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Strange New Worlds Star Trek: Strange New Worlds - General Discussion Thread

Yeah, has to be that and not because of... [looks at Christina Chong].

And honestly, that guy is not someone you really should be bringing up as an authority. He is a regressive *******, AT BEST. Terry Matalas' recent interaction with him said it best.

Anyway, season looks fun. Just missing out on a look at the crossover, which I look forward to making many people online angry. And yeah, classic Klingons are back.
@Snow Queen does this. Constantly.

@Snow Queen does this. Constantly.

kKvwVM0.gif

...this is the right franchise, right?

You sure you want to use him as a reference?

He just sounds like a bigot who doesn't understand Star Trek.

Have you listened to him talk about Star Trek? If anyone knows the franchise inside and out, it's RMB. This comes across has a poor attempt at humour in that he dislikes the direction Kurtzman has taken Star Trek since 2009 and how Kurtzman and his team try display the issues of the modern world in Star Trek stories.

In his view, Kurtzman isn't very creative when it comes to taking the big world issues of today and laying them out within the world of Star Trek - take something that is happening and wrap Star Trek around it whereas Kurtzman take Star Trek and wraps issues around the franchise.

Also, I adore the re-appearance old school ship's phasers. Beam weapons can be so creative and fun for the staging of action. And the hi def return of the traditional TOS style Enterprise in orbit shot just put a massive smile on my face.

Have you listened to him talk about Star Trek? If anyone knows the franchise inside and out, it's RMB. This comes across has a poor attempt at humour in that he dislikes the direction Kurtzman has taken Star Trek since 2009 and how Kurtzman and his team try display the issues of the modern world in Star Trek stories.

In his view, Kurtzman isn't very creative when it comes to taking the big world issues of today and laying them out within the world of Star Trek - take something that is happening and wrap Star Trek around it whereas Kurtzman take Star Trek and wraps issues around the franchise.
I don't think Kurtzman is creative. It has somehow never led me to attacking targeted minorities even as a "joke". Because I'm not a bigot.

By the way, is there any bigger current social issue discussion then gender? Why would anyone mock such an inclusion?

I don't think Kurtzman is creative. It has somehow never led me to attacking targeted minorities even as a "joke". Because I'm not a bigot.

By the way, is there any bigger current social issue discussion then gender? Why would anyone mock such an inclusion?
I'm far from a Kurtzman fan as most know, but that "joke" does not in any way reasonably reflect criticism of Kurtzman's handling of Trek in any way. It is pure far right, bigoted dogwhistling. All of those things listed are essentially things we would actually hope to see in Federation education. Trek has never been perfect and some of its handling of LGBTQIA+ sexuality in the 90s was hamfisted and cowardly at best, but I will always give them credit for actually trying to tackle gender identity and trans issues on network TV as early as the early 90s. That is the true spirit of Trek.

I'm far from a Kurtzman fan as most know, but that "joke" does not in any way reasonably reflect criticism of Kurtzman's handling of Trek in any way. It is pure far right, bigoted dogwhistling. All of those things listed are essentially things we would actually hope to see in Federation education. Trek has never been perfect and some of its handling of LGBTQIA+ sexuality in the 90s was hamfisted and cowardly at best, but I will always give them credit for actually trying to tackle gender identity and trans issues on network TV as early as the early 90s. That is the true spirit of Trek.
Looking at his retweets and yeah, this is his kind of crowd:

Yeah, well, a lot of bigots know Star Wars really, really well too. You make a joke like the Babylon Bee, I will treat you like the Babylon Bee. And from what I've seen, yes, he very much belongs in that crowd.

Yeah, well, a lot of bigots know Star Wars really, really well too. You make a joke like the Babylon Bee, I will treat you like the Babylon Bee. And from what I've seen, yes, he very much belongs in that crowd.
I was on his twitter for 3 minutes. It didn't take me very long to figure it out. :funny:

Star Trek has always been a show trying to look forward. Does it have a perfect track record? Of course not. Nothing does. But if your someone who understands the heart and soul of Trek, connects with it, you wouldn't be one of those playing to the crowd complaining about it for being "woke". Even as a joke. And thus, I do not value such opinions in the least.

I think he may be pulling a little too much from Pine's Kirk for people, but I look forward to seeing more of him.

I just wish they didn’t use Kirk at all. I mean, Pike is kind of playing the “Kirk” of this series so I get they can’t have two kind of doing the same thing. But there’s just no charisma with this guy.

Pine was that perfect balance between Shatner but a lil more modern. And tons of charisma lol

RMB is a total chud and professional dip****. I am not interested in giving him the benefit of the doubt about anything. I don't like Kurtzman's work either but that is a blatant "Har, har, har, it'll be bad cause its woke" dog whistle - even if he didn't mean it that way a grown ass man should be intelligent enough to know that is, rightfully, how it plays.

So ****ing delightful! So nice to see Klingons that look like Klingons again! And holy crap is that current scene clearly Toronto. Hello Roots boutique. :D
My thoughts: Oh, yay, the Klingons aren't buried in the suffocating Discovery prosthetics anymore! ...Oh, they're just TNG era Klingons who I've never liked. Win some, lose some. Hopefully in the actual show they get some of that weird, sleazy Soviet energy TOS/Undiscovered Country Klingons had.

Don't like him either. And he seems more like Jim Carrey than Captain Kirk. Nothing about him says Kirk.
See, he isn't blowing my mind but there's something that is really clicking as Kirk to me. I think he's doing a lot of less notable Shatnerisms rather than the big ones, focusing more in on TOS era Shatner rather than later on when Bill's quirks grew more notable.

Obviously he ain't Pine but Pine is a pretty singularly charismatic lead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"