Star Trek: The Original Series

As I may have said before in the TNG thread, those TOS characters were so effective because the writers weren't afraid to highlight their very human character flaws. Spock was arrogant and condescending (and self-hating, to some extent), McCoy was grumpy and stubborn, possibly slightly bigoted but in an amusing and pragmatic way. Those two really disliked each other in the TV show, that's been my observation.

Kirk was a borderline sexual degenerate and, when he made one of his moralistic speeches, a complete hypocrite as well. But these flaws made these 3 characters to relatable to the audience, who could recognize traits they could see in themselves.

Wheres in the post TOS universe, for some reason Roddz wanted the characters (the human ones at least) to never have any personal flaws. So you wound up with Bev Crusher, Laforge, Wesley Crusher, Troi, Ezri Dax, Harry Kim, Paris, Chakotay, Belanna Torres (the two most boring terrorists in history, apparently), Mayweather, Tucker, Sato and Reed. All those character you could switch their personalities and it would take you an hour before you'd notice the difference.

I'd almost include Riker on that list too, but he was such an amazingly effective first officer (the best XO in all of Star Trek IMO) that I give him a pass.

To quote Spock--Fascinating!

You may have a point, which could explain the reasons behind the alien influence that the characters underwent in episodes. In TNG, we see the main characters get influenced in episodes like "Power Play" when the away team comes back having been possessed by a hostile alien race. We see Troi giving orders and doing some serious ass kicking.

As I may have said before in the TNG thread, those TOS characters were so effective because the writers weren't afraid to highlight their very human character flaws. Spock was arrogant and condescending (and self-hating, to some extent), McCoy was grumpy and stubborn, possibly slightly bigoted but in an amusing and pragmatic way. Those two really disliked each other in the TV show, that's been my observation.

Kirk was a borderline sexual degenerate and, when he made one of his moralistic speeches, a complete hypocrite as well. But these flaws made these 3 characters to relatable to the audience, who could recognize traits they could see in themselves.

Wheres in the post TOS universe, for some reason Roddz wanted the characters (the human ones at least) to never have any personal flaws. So you wound up with Bev Crusher, Laforge, Wesley Crusher, Troi, Ezri Dax, Harry Kim, Paris, Chakotay, Belanna Torres (the two most boring terrorists in history, apparently), Mayweather, Tucker, Sato and Reed. All those character you could switch their personalities and it would take you an hour before you'd notice the difference.

I'd almost include Riker on that list too, but he was such an amazingly effective first officer (the best XO in all of Star Trek IMO) that I give him a pass.

Wasn't Roddenberry taking a hands off approach later on and was even dead by the time of some of these later series especially Enterprise, so he can't really be blamed for the likea of Mayweather who is the most boring character in all of Trek.

There was a reference in the films to that episode?

The shuttlecraft they took to Kronos was "confiscated during the Mudd incident", according to Sulu.

Today is the anniversary of DeForrest Kelley's death. Leonard Nimoy tweeted this a little while ago:

https://twitter.com/TheRealNimoy/status/344604241379352576

@TheRealNimoy
Too sad missing De. May his memory LLAP

I saw DeForrest Kelley at a Star Trek convention in the early nineties, and he was so awesome. He told a bunch of stories about working on Westerns in the 50s, and read this long poem he wrote about Star Trek from the original series through the movies, and this story about this time he tried to prank Shatner at a convention. He was so funny, I could have listened to his stories all day.

I've started seeing Star Trek not long ago, but it didn't take much so that it conquered my heart and changed my life philosophy.

I finished watching the original series not too long ago and am working my way through TNG.

I couldn't help but notice that throughout the last season it seemed as though the show was going out of its way to throw as many girls as possible at Spock. As if they wanted to even up the score with Kirk. There was that Romulan girl, the girl who lived on a cloud, and that cave girl he met in the past. He was also forced to kiss Nurse Chapel at one point.

I'm currently at about the middle of season 2. I'm watching the remastered series on netflix, and it's amazing how the tiny touches they've done seem to keep the episodes from feeling as dated as it ought to be. That might have more to do with how ahead of it's time the series was, though. I mean, Kirk's communicator is straight up a cellphone...before there even was such a thing. The ear pieces are bluetooth before there ever was such a thing.

The writing is surprisingly great, too. I'm just surprised by how well it all holds up, really. I agree with most of what Pink Ranger said, except the sexual deviancy of Kirk...though I'm just half way through season two. But, yeah...there's a great use of character flaws to make these character come to life. I think one of the earliest episodes, "The Enemy Within" kinda explained the concept, now that I think about it.

I'm fascinated by the stuff they had to do in a subtle manner, considering the amount of censorship that handcuffed so many things of that time. There's a clever sophistication to some of it that's pretty impressive. Something like Marlena, in "Mirror, Mirror" saying that'd she'll bang every officer in the fleet to become a Captain's woman again. She doesn't say "bang", or "sleep". It's subtle enough that it's not apparent, but clear enough in the way that it's written that you get the message.

I'm really enjoying the original series way more than I thought I would. I'm thinking I'll finish the original series before moving on to TNG, which I hear great things about. But, I've grown quite fond of Captain Kirk and Spock.

I've been rewatching the original series too, in its remastered form. I don't remember now what the unmastered opening credits look like or how the Enterprise looks without the newer special effects.

One thing with Season 1 though - the audio for Kirk's voice sounds as if it is distant and not as clearly heard as in Season 2. I don't think this was the way it was before it was remastered. The remastered version doesn't seem to have the correct balance there.

I'm currently at about the middle of season 2. I'm watching the remastered series on netflix, and it's amazing how the tiny touches they've done seem to keep the episodes from feeling as dated as it ought to be. That might have more to do with how ahead of it's time the series was, though. I mean, Kirk's communicator is straight up a cellphone...before there even was such a thing. The ear pieces are bluetooth before there ever was such a thing.

The writing is surprisingly great, too. I'm just surprised by how well it all holds up, really. I agree with most of what Pink Ranger said, except the sexual deviancy of Kirk...though I'm just half way through season two. But, yeah...there's a great use of character flaws to make these character come to life. I think one of the earliest episodes, "The Enemy Within" kinda explained the concept, now that I think about it.

I'm fascinated by the stuff they had to do in a subtle manner, considering the amount of censorship that handcuffed so many things of that time. There's a clever sophistication to some of it that's pretty impressive. Something like Marlena, in "Mirror, Mirror" saying that'd she'll bang every officer in the fleet to become a Captain's woman again. She doesn't say "bang", or "sleep". It's subtle enough that it's not apparent, but clear enough in the way that it's written that you get the message.

I'm really enjoying the original series way more than I thought I would. I'm thinking I'll finish the original series before moving on to TNG, which I hear great things about. But, I've grown quite fond of Captain Kirk and Spock.
Before you get to TNG, rewatch all of the TOS films (The Motion Picture, Wrath of Khan, Search for Spock, Voyage Home, Final Frontier, and Undiscovered Country).

Yeah, hopefully I can watch them all after I wrap up the series.

I've even managed to find TOS films, and add them all to my watchlist, on Amazon Prime. They seem to have an even more extensive library than even Netflix does. I've even noticed that Amazon Prime has the first two seasons of TNG in HD, whereas Netflix only has them in SD. I know they're still remastering TNG, but the seasons that have been are up on Prime. I'm looking forward the films, just to see how they change things up from what I'm really digging with the series.

I know I'm going to miss the color schemed uniforms, though. I really like those.

So now I'm making my way through the third season. I've heard about the hate for "Spock's Brain", which I get. But, I can't say it's been the worst episode I've seen. "The Alternative Factor" has to be my least favorite episode. But, I can agree that "Spock's Brain" was awful.

But, Season 3 hasn't been as bad as I was told it'd be so far. I liked "The Paradise Syndrome", even though it's definitely a story I guess we've all sen done a dozen times by now in other shows and films.

"And the Children Shall Lead" won me over by the end of the episode, and it was worth it enough alone to see Spock and Kirk vocalizing the idea that they might need to kill children.

I just started to see the original series for the first time. Of course I've seen some of the movies and I know the characters and premise of the show. But had never seen it before.

I saw the pilot yesterday and it was really weird. Weird as in 'I gotta see this whole thing.' It's always a pleasure to me to see a series you know of from the very beginning and to observe those differences and how they developed the series as we know it know.

The very early episodes had a "Twilight Zone" feel to them. Season 1 will always be my favorite, hehe.

Its weird, but the episode, "Where no man has gone before" is technically the second pilot episode, but was the third episode to be aired. Notice the different costumes, characters, sets, etc.

The greatest crew in Starfleet history, and my personal favorite.
2021174-trek.jpg

Last edited:
I still think it's amazing how much they were able to do with the show in such a limited time for television, they really let their imagination go wild.

I didn't know where to post this but...I think that the youtube Star Trek Continues are far better than the original movies and the new ones too. They've captured the series spirit way better.

I love TNG, DS9, Voyager, I even like Enterprise and the reboot film series. But for me nothing can beat TOS.

I didn't know where to post this but...I think that the youtube Star Trek Continues are far better than the original movies and the new ones too. They've captured the series spirit way better.

No... Just no.

I just learned of the Ticonderoga set tour. Planning a trip for next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"