Star Trek Forum Petition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah man, just looking at this page alone, talk about a slippery slope!

Popular votes mean nothing. You're losing in the electoral college.

What do you guys think about TNG on blu-ray? It looks beautiful.

I think they tried to use most of the original effects/graphics. Not sure. But it looks incredible.

This is from a blu ray.com review.

Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season Two arrives on Blu-ray with a fairly consistent and highly impressive high definition transfer. The image is presented in the series' broadcast 4x3 aspect ratio; "black bars" necessarily frame the image on either side of the 1.78:1 high definition display. Certainly, this isn't the perfect image. There are very unobtrusive and very infrequent but nevertheless noticeable white speckles throughout the season. Characters and objects appearing in front of effects shots -- such as windows showing a star field or the ship at warp speed -- go fairly soft and lack the pinpoint detail seen elsewhere. Blacks can also go a hair pale, whether uniform bottoms or shadowy backdrops. Additionally, the visible grain field often fluctuates from quite heavy to practically invisible. Yet despite all of these rather minor flaws and inconsistencies, the image on the whole dazzles. Details are so impressive at times that makeup streaks are visible and minor flaws or the crudeness of set construction down in corners or seams appears clearly evident. The flip side is breathtaking facial details, whether Picard's winkles, Riker's beard, or Data and Worf's detailed makeup work. Uniform textures are stunningly intricate in close-up shots, as are other costume pieces such as Wesley's sweater. Exterior Enterprise shots reveal tremendous details across the entire vessel. Colors are also quite strong. They're not brilliant but rather stable to just a tad bit dark. Red uniforms in particular appear a little dim, but the mustard crew and science blue uniforms look fantastic. The bridge's tan colored furnishings and wooden fixings are true, while the darkened recesses of space impress. Flesh tones are excellent across a dynamic range defined by natural variations and makeup both. This is a very appealing image, not quite perfect but certainly a revelation that's worthy of the show, of Blu-ray, and the restorative effort.

I barely noticed any of the flaws. Its such an improvement from its previous look, and I'm grateful that they are taking the time to even remaster the series.

It makes sense that they are releasing Enterprise on blu-ray next, since that was filmed in HD to begin with. By the time TNG is released, they will probably get DS9 and voyager afterwards.

Sometimes TNG looked a little video taped. Is that still the case here?

It was never video taped. They shot it on film, transferred it to video, and then did the effects on there. That's why people thought a blu-ray would never happen, because they would need to go back and redo the effects on film. Which is what they are doing. Explains why the sets are so expensive.

It was never video taped. They shot it on film, transferred it to video, and then did the effects on there. That's why people thought a blu-ray would never happen, because they would need to go back and redo the effects on film. Which is what they are doing. Explains why the sets are so expensive.

He said "it looked" video taped. I'm sure Dark Raven is privy to how television works.

Anyone see this? Its pretty awful. I hate the sound effects that were added to this, but its all I could find on youtube. This scene gave me nightmares as a kid:

[YT]5gYQHhtlN2A[/YT]

I'm ok with a Star Trek Forum, but I also believe a Jame Bond one should be made as well.

Star Trek has so many variations, it needs its own section to do it justice. `Nuff said! Lets get it done! :)

I don't think I've seen the remastered version of TMP. I've watched remastered episodes of TOS though, and they look great IMO. A lot of "purists" are against it, but I think even with CGI, it captures the essence of the series.

You need to get a copy of the DVD. The improvements are marvellous, various and subtle in many places. If you like TMP you will love the Directors Edition. It is the only version I will watch now.

I hope they re-render the new effects in high resolution and release a Blu-Ray version before I die...

Mind you, we will probably have 4k or 8k televisions and players by that time. :woot:

Did they only remaster ST:TMP or have any of the other original cast movies (eg TWOK) been given that treatment with new special effects as well? TWOK has some 80s looking graphics in places (eg the Genesis effect). It looks like something from an old Atari computer. They need something that looks more modern at least (if not futuristic) rather than primitive 80s graphics. Something that doesn't look like computer graphics would be best. That would look more timeless.

You need to get a copy of the DVD. The improvements are marvellous, various and subtle in many places. If you like TMP you will love the Directors Edition. It is the only version I will watch now.

I hope they re-render the new effects in high resolution and release a Blu-Ray version before I die...

Mind you, we will probably have 4k or 8k televisions and players by that time. :woot:

I don't understand why they put the director's Edition on DVD but not blu-ray. That's just laziness, but oh well. I need to get that DVD and watch it.

100 Votes :D

I don't think Blu-Rays were available when ST:TMP:TDE came out...

No updates to special effects have been done to any of the other ST movies.

The only changes to effects for ST:TMP:TDE were the inclusion of effects scenes which were originally story boarded but not filmed due to time and budgetary restraints.

As I said before small changes made, but a big difference to the film overall. There were also some minor editing changes. But the biggest change was that a lot of the sound effects were altered. For the better in my opinion.

How long does it take to make a forum? I have a bad feeling this won't be happening which is a shame because we seem to have the numbers!

How long does it take to make a forum? I have a bad feeling this won't be happening which is a shame because we seem to have the numbers!

"The Hype isn't a democracy."- Every mod ever at some point.

I agree 100%.

Star Trek has been around nearly 20 years prior to Star Wars.

Make it so!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back