A New Hope Star Wars Appreciation Thread

DCW

Sidekick
Reaction score
I can't let my favorite movie of all time go without an appreciation thread when its two sequels get one.

I missed this in theaters by ten years when it was originally released but I have fond memories of mowing laws and doing other chores when I was five or six to save money for these beauties:

$(KGrHqRHJBwFCQ3Y9tVqBQrS,+ElPQ~~60_35.JPG

I watched and watched those tapes until they gave up the ghost. I loved these movies. And while all three are my favorite movies of all time, if I could only choose one it would be the original. I don't mind the special editions, but the theatrical versions will always be my preferred versions.

The characters, the locations, the music, just everything caught my imagination. One of the only times a movie has ever literally taken my breath away was the first time I saw the trench run. It was something very special to me and still is today.

Lets hear some of your stories about this movie. When/where did you first see it? Who're your favorite characters? What's your favorite piece of music from it? Etc.

Star+Wars+-+A+New+Hope+(1977)+Style+A+by+Tom+Jung.jpg

Star+Wars+Theatrical+Posters+Around+The+World+in+1977+(12).jpg

star-wars-1977-20th-century-fox-production-photos-46703.jpg

star-wars-episode-iv-a-new-hope-20061222111307977.jpg

star-wars-1977.jpg

star-wars-1977-20th-century-fox-production-photos-46715.jpg

star-wars-20th-century-fox-1977-production-photos-46698.jpg

Last edited:
My favorite out of the OT also! I think my fave one, period.

I first saw it back in 1983 when ROTJ was released, and my parents took my sisters and i to a Star Wars marathon, because they were showing the first two and then ROTJ. I was six and my life changed forever. I fell in love with the movies on first sight :cwink:

I actually prefer the SE over the originals, so i'm a bit different then u in this sense lol. Also, i first saw them dubbed to spanish until i improved my english, so i got to a point where i could recite the movie lines in both languages :oldrazz:

I dont know if he was my favorite off the bat, but i was so impressed by old Ben, that i wanted to know more about this mysterious jedi he spoke of. For some odd reason i remember i was in awe of the banthas (i dont even know how, since they werent on as much lol) and the sand people scared the heck out of me. I had a crush on Luke and Han (of course)

As far as the music goes, dear lord, it's almost impossible for me to pick a favorite, because the tracks are simply too iconic all around: tales of a jedi knight, the cantina band, throne room... sorry, i just cant lol.

Favorite scene? Probably the trench run (at least today lol), because it's exciting, the music is wonderful and to this day i still feel like jumping up and down when Han sweeps in and saves Luke :woot:

Favorite scene? Probably the trench run (at least today lol), because it's exciting, the music is wonderful and to this day i still feel like jumping up and down when Han sweeps in and saves Luke :woot:

I'm glad you brought up Han saving Luke. If I had to choose my single favorite movie moment of all time it would be that. Even after seeing it hundreds of times it still brings a smile to my face. Such a great moment.

Speaking of the trench run, I still feel that the tension in the scene holds up remarkable well, even after all these years.

That image of Han, Luke, Ben, & Chewy in the cockpit of the Falcon is so icon, at least to me.

Luke: look, he's heading for that small moon.
Ben: that's no moon, it's a space station.
Han: it's too big to be a space station.

I'm glad you brought up Han saving Luke. If I had to choose my single favorite movie moment of all time it would be that. Even after seeing it hundreds of times it still brings a smile to my face. Such a great moment.

Speaking of the trench run, I still feel that the tension in the scene holds up remarkable well, even after all these years.
Totally agree. This movie just doesnt get old for me, i dont grow tired of it, even after all of this time. I find myself involved in what's happening, even when i can recite the movie and know what's coming lol.

New pic to me, very cool :word:
600625_549765585096001_1801378867_n.jpg

Awesome find! I've never seen that before either.

Here's a few pictures I found:

the-making-of-star-wars-1977-87-pics_2.jpg

the-making-of-star-wars-1977-87-pics_26.jpg

ford_fisher.jpg

Awesome find! I hadnt seen most of those before :hrt:

Edit: this one cracks me up. It's as if Ben's thinking: "Not that bright, he's a Skywalker all right!" lol
the-making-of-star-wars-1977-87-pics_81.jpg

Last edited:
Haha. "Are you sure this one is working Ben? Where's the on-swith?"

I rewatched Star Wars and yes, it felt like a fairy tale. It was a perfect storm of great, mythological storytelling. It didn't reinvent the rules but it gave a new, fresh take on Joseph Cambell's narrative style, and to this very day, nobody could've done it better than Lucas. Well, back then.

The coolest and most powerful death in SW (imo, of course):
1394791_10151934065573713_1385126710_n.jpg

Love tha lat one with Cushing!

Looks like he's contemplating on giving Mark a piece of candy.

I love all of these old pics :woot:

Couldnt help it, sorry lol

1377391_638352249549713_1529974141_n.jpg

Luke: *thinking* His medal is bigger than mine...

No joke, I actually want to buy the outfit Luke is wearing in that scene. Buy or construct it.

Short behind the scenes clip of the Leia and Luke chasm swing!

[YT]VM_1a2CAsds[/YT]

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"