Return of the Jedi Return of the Jedi Appreciation Thread

Empire isn't as well written as it's made out to be. The timeline is all jacked up. Lukes Degobah story and the Han/Leia story don't mesh at all.

I'm not bashing it, that's just something I've always noticed that nobody ever seems to.

Nobody brings it up because it's quality work regardless. That's more nitpick than a fallible flaw that destroys the film.

Nobody brings it up because it's quality work regardless. That's more nitpick than a fallible flaw that destroys the film.

I never said/implied it destroyed the film. :huh:

And I don't see how obvious structural inconsistency is just a "nitpick" and Han not flying a speeder bike in ROTJ isn't.

Like I said, I'm not bashing Empire...it's my favorite like most fans. I'm just simply saying there are flaws in that film as well because I think ROTJ gets too much unnecessary flak.

Last edited:
To be fair, all of them have some problems in the dialogue, but yeah, Empire has some Structural inconsistencies, as it is, it looks like Luke just arrived in Hoth and started to train and run right away, and then left all in the same day.

Overall, I think the mythic and archetypal nature of the trilogy overcome the script/structure issues. These three films tap into a tried and true storytelling premise like most others don't/can't. That's why they've endured for so long. And honestly, Jedi is probably the strongest on an emotional level for me, while Empire is the strongest storywise.

I never said/implied it destroyed the film. :huh:

And I don't see how obvious structural inconsistency is just a "nitpick" and Han not flying a speeder bike in ROTJ isn't.

Like I said, I'm not bashing Empire...it's my favorite like most fans. I'm just simply saying there are flaws in that film as well because I think ROTJ gets too much unnecessary flake.

Exactly.A lot of people like to put down Han/Ford in Jedi,but it's called a character arc.He went from being a selfish rogue to a selfless leader of men.He still had the brash cocky charm he always had,but he had an actual plotline to deal with this time,instead of just hiding out, trying to lock lips with Leia whenever possible.

I've stated Empire is my favorite, but honestly it's more of a battle between Empire and Jedi. As a kid Jedi won the fight, but as an adult I bounce between the two. I'll watch Empire and say "Ya, this IS my favorite."

Then I give Jedi a watch and think: "Damn, I love this movie too. This is actually my favorite."

Now, feel free to challenge me, but I've never noticed much hate for Jedi until around the time of the prequels. I honestly never heard anyone speak ill of Jedi until Lucas became the bane of nerdom all around the globe. The back turning started with with Special Editions, but the hate for the man really sealed amid the time of the prequels.

Ya, people would talk crap about the Ewoks, but I never heard people downright DOG Jedi like they do now. I run into comments all the time saying it's as bad as the prequels. This baffles me.

My best friend introduced me to these films as a kid, and his dad was a Star Wars nut and saw all three in theaters (He told me he saw the first film 16 times in theaters. That blew my mind!) I asked him around the time Sith came out if there were a lot of people who hated Jedi when it came out and he said he didn't remember anybody hating it. He said everybody seemed to love it. He said people made fun of the Ewoks but that's where the dissent stopped from his recollection.

Does anybody share my thoughts? I honestly don't recall Jedi being so bashed until the Lucas hate reached it's zenith.

I've stated Empire is my favorite, but honestly it's more of a battle between Empire and Jedi. As a kid Jedi won the fight, but as an adult I bounce between the two. I'll watch Empire and say "Ya, this IS my favorite."

Then I give Jedi a watch and think: "Damn, I love this movie too. This is actually my favorite."

Now, feel free to challenge me, but I've never noticed much hate for Jedi until around the time of the prequels. I honestly never heard anyone speak ill of Jedi until Lucas became the bane of nerdom all around the globe. The back turning started with with Special Editions, but the hate for the man really sealed amid the time of the prequels.

Ya, people would talk crap about the Ewoks, but I never heard people downright DOG Jedi like they do now. I run into comments all the time saying it's as bad as the prequels. This baffles me.

My best friend introduced me to these films as a kid, and his dad was a Star Wars nut and saw all three in theaters (He told me he saw the first film 16 times in theaters. That blew my mind!) I asked him around the time Sith came out if there were a lot of people who hated Jedi when it came out and he said he didn't remember anybody hating it. He said everybody seemed to love it. He said people made fun of the Ewoks but that's where the dissent stopped from his recollection.

Does anybody share my thoughts? I honestly don't recall Jedi being so bashed until the Lucas hate reached it's zenith.

Might have more to do with the special editions than the prequels. Star Wars was being seen as kiddified, and I think Jedi was an easy scapegoat of "the beginning of the end" or whatever.

Bad as the prequels? People really say that? Crazy talk.

Return of the Jedi has always been my favourite, ever since I was a kid.

So many things to like. Jabba the Hutt and The Emperor - my favourite Star Wars villains, the amazing space battle, the emotional showdown between Luke and Vader at the end...

I don't even mind the Ewoks. Hell, I even like the two Ewok movies - way better than the prequels IMO.

Doesn't deserve the hate. A great way to end the saga.

Return was also my fave as a kid. What I liked most about Star Wars was the whole Jedi/Sith/Vader/Luke relationship, which was almost nonexistent in Hope, focused on in Empire, and almost a full focus of in Return

Despite my faults with 'Jedi', I still love the film.

I just don't like Hamill's hair. Must be the bangs, and the way it was cut and how it's not layered. While his hair was more surfer in the other two, here is more Aunt Beru.

I just don't like Hamill's hair. Must be the bangs, and the way it was cut and how it's not layered. While his hair was more surfer in the other two, here is more Aunt Beru.
:hehe: i actually like his hair more in this one than i did in Empire. The hair annoys the heck out of me in that one.

Despite my faults with 'Jedi', I still love the film.

It is soooo 80s... :funny:

I think that could be the fact that Hamill had 70's surfer hair in the first two movies, which is still in, and then 80's hair in 'Jedi'.

http://www.*****************.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/rare-unseen-star-wars-poster-art4.jpg

First time I've seeing this.

Edit: for some reason it's not linking right but it's a Revenge of the Jedi poster.

http://www.*****************.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/rare-unseen-star-wars-poster-art4.jpg

First time I've seeing this.

Edit: for some reason it's not linking right but it's a Revenge of the Jedi poster.

ROTJ Deleted Scene

tumblr_nlcz3dC5S91qjmus3o4_r1_540.gif

tumblr_nlcz3dC5S91qjmus3o6_540.gif

tumblr_nlcz3dC5S91qjmus3o3_r1_540.gif

tumblr_nlcz3dC5S91qjmus3o2_r1_540.gif

tumblr_nlcz3dC5S91qjmus3o1_r2_540.gif

This was one of the first scenes filmed. It was cut out because they felt the simulated sandstorm had ruined the picture quality and had made parts of the scene too hard to see.

Some of the Ewok stuff is cheesy, but it's not nearly as bad as stuff in the prequels. It's childish but it's still enjoyable. The only thing that kind of irks me is Chewbacca's Tarzan yell but even that's a blink-and-you'll-miss-it thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"