Stark's refusal: is it fair?

Killswitch

Civilian
Reaction score
Tony Stark has always refused to build another Iron Man suit, because it might be used for evil. Like the nuclear bomb, he says, it might be too much power for anyone.

But come on, Stark! There are many good characters who could use an Iron Man suit responsibly, and could use some kind of help.

Why not black widow? Giant man? (In a huuuuuge suit?) Maybe just make some rocket boots for non-flying characters like Iron Fist? etc.

Is it fair he's holding out?

what are you talking about? stark's got a million iron man suits...

I mean giving one away: Let's say, finding a worthy person and saying "okay, we're going to have 2 Iron Men from now on."

But War Machine was issued by Stark first I thought and then Rhodes stole it. Also I think the real reason that Stark doesn't give away his suit is becasue Marvel just needs to keep IM fresh and one of a kind.

Tony Stark has always refused to build another Iron Man suit, because it might be used for evil. Like the nuclear bomb, he says, it might be too much power for anyone.

But come on, Stark! There are many good characters who could use an Iron Man suit responsibly, and could use some kind of help.

Why not black widow? Giant man? (In a huuuuuge suit?) Maybe just make some rocket boots for non-flying characters like Iron Fist? etc.

I'm almost positive the Cape Killer suits are based off his Iron man designs.

I never got the impression that Stark was ever holding out on anyone. The guy makes his living inventing weapons for people, and he did it specifically so that the good guys would always be one step ahead. Heck, half of SHIELD was probably built by his tech.

With all that stuff he just gives to people, it makes sense that he should show a level of restraint. Iron Man is his crowning achievement. It's also incredibly dangerous in the hands of anyone, so he limits its production as much as possible and keeps close watch on just who gets to use it. And even if he wanted to, he can't just mass-produce it; it costs seven billion dollars for a single suit. He can't just hand them to to anyone without damn good reason.

And also, in Stark's eyes, it's smart thinking to..."keep"...the best stuff for yourself, just in case. Remember what he said to Peter at the end of the ASM Hydra arc? He kept a store of every anti-toxin available in Stark Tower. When Pete asked him if any of it was available to civilians, Stark looked all emo and explained that they can't help others unless they help themselves first. I imagine that's why he hoardes his Iron Man stuff, for lack of a better term.

Or he's a dick. I dunno.

Tony already went through the whole Armor Wars stuff where people had stolen some of his tech and that makes him weary, I guess. The armored guards that worked at The Vault had Stark tech, they were basically simplified IM armors. There's War Machine, Iron Spidey and Misty Knight's current bionic arm is Stark tech. Stark gave input in the design of the new Sentinels (before they went all Evangelion) but isn't responsible for them or their production.

I don't see the use for other characters to sport IM armors or tech to "make them better". If the appeal of a character like Black Widow (since you brought her up) is that she's basically an unpowered human that can go up against stronger foes and prevail just because of her skills, wouldn't giving her armor take that away? Besides, there's a bunch of other people that can do tech without it having to be Stark. I prefer if the character does their own tech instead of having to resort to someone else.

they are.this is to broad a thread title,do you mean having a suit of equal power given to a hero with an established but weaker id?

They were more or less based on someone else's designs. The same guy that almost killed Stark.

Well, because Stark, like any high yield genius, tends to harbor low trust of several others. He knows exactly what his armour is capable of, and in the hands of several people, knows exactly what comes of it.

I wouldn't even consider handing out that tech myself. Having an army of Iron Men isn't exactly as useful as one may think for the design purpose of the Iron Man suit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"