State Your Opinion on a Character

Status
Not open for further replies.

random_havoc

The Golden Guardian
Reaction score
As per the same threads on the Marvel and DC threads, on this thread I'll list some comic characters and everyone can state what they think of them.

For this variation of the thread any character that is not Marvel or DC will be considered fair game. I'll consider Wildstorm fair game too since they started as part of Image.

If anyone has suggestions, feel free to let me know. And if for some reason I'm away from the thread and don't post a new one for, say, 36 hours. Anyone that wants to can feel free to post a new character.

Sound good? Let's roll...

First Up:

Invincible
Invincible-1.jpg

Like a teenage Superman, but in a comic with a lot more blood. Thoughts? :yay:

Awesome. I recently finally got into that series, and Mark is a pretty cool cat. One of my favorite moments was when he broke down why he really doesn't need to be in college with his mother. It was a great scene that showed how being a full time hero would work, and how it's pointless for him to be in college when he spends most of his time saving the world all over.

Also, his fight with Conquest was just great! That's the culmination of how far a hero would go to protect what they love. Mark's not one of the most complex characters in comics, but he is a guy who is easy to understand and easy to like. I think that's why his stories are so engaging. We know where we stand with him. Now all we gotta do is just enjoy the ride.

Wow, only 1 person? You're the man E-Man.

Let's try someone else. SAVAGE DRAGON

savage_dragon.jpg

Love him or hate him? Think he could make for a successful movie/tv show?

You're the man for making this thread. :up: As for the Dragon, I've had bad luck getting his issues/trades. Either I have no money, get outbid, or even get some faulty...err...material. :cmad:

I remember watching his cartoon as a kid, and and picking up sporadic issues here and there. I always liked the character, but for whatever reason I never really latched on to him. Still, he's a cop that looks like a jacked up dragon man, and thats kick ass.

I forgot about the cartoon. I used to love it as a kid. I'm gonna go see if I can get lucky and find some Savage Dragon back issues and trades on eBay. Larsen's art should be worth it alone.

I REALLY liked a lot of aspects about Savage Dragon back in the day. Having him be a regular cop for his job was really good. Good action, good mysterious past storyline like Wolverine used to have.

I thought that Larsen dropped the ball when Dragon beat his original big villain (blanking on his name right now, but he was a crimeboss) and it was revealed that he was just some random dude. I was expecting something a lot more epic.

I do find it really impressive though how long Larsen has had that comic going continuously while writing and drawing it all himself. VERY impressive.

Dragon and Pitt were two of my favorites when Image originally launched.

This thread's still off to a slow start so I'll leave this character up til tomorrow then move on to the next one.

I do find it really impressive though how long Larsen has had that comic going continuously while writing and drawing it all himself. VERY impressive.

Yeah, its great that this is a character he has been tinkering with since he was a kid, and he got to produce this epic run with him. Thanks guys, I'm broke enough, now I want to start getting the trades on this.

Awesome design, interestingish story, and a awful/hilarious movie. I like Spawn. I think I like Sam and Twitch more.

I really want to love Al Simmons, but I can't. The concept is cool as hell, and so is the look. It's also nice to see a black guy that powerful, but there wasn't much cake under that icing.

I haven't read Invincible, and I'm still not sure I want to. I hear lots of good things, but also lots of stuff that I don't like in superhero comics.

Never liked the Savage Dragon, though it was interesting that he was a cop.

As for Spawn, I have the entire first year or so of his comics, and they were pretty good, but only the Cerebus crossover issue stands out in my mind. The character himself is a mixed bag, but I'm leaning more towards dislike.

The HBO series was excellent. It seemed more focused than the comics. One big problem of the comics is how it never seemed to go anywhere. It just ran circles around all the potential there.

Yeah, it really did. Definitely not typical for a creator owned thing either.

Well, part of the problem is that Todd McFarline isn't that great a writer so he hired other writers like Frank Miller, Neil Gaiman, and Alan Moore to write very good but very self contained issues that had nothing to do with each other.

I'm pretty mixed on Spawn. I feel at times his story is cool, but other times I can't stand him.

I hear that David Hine wrote some pretty good issues from something like 150-184. Maybe one day I'll check it out. It's supposed to be a reboot that is darker but with solid direction.

I read the first five or six issues of Spawn and they're easily the worst comics I've ever read. Todd MacFarlane is a pretty bad artist and a ****ing heinous writer. I wouldn't write off the character, forever, though, because he does look kind of cool (albeit very "90s"), and the concept of the character isn't bad.

Oh man, the HBO show was great!

Like most of you, I think the design of the character is pretty awesome, but everything else just fell short.

New character!

PITT
Pitt-1.jpg

I haven't read much with him, but I liked the crossover he had with the Maxx. I thought it was pretty fun.

My favorite thing abut Pitt is Dale Keowns artwork.

I think I've got Pitt #1 lying around somewhere in my basement. That's literally all I can say about the character.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"