State your unpopular Batman related opinion

TDKR is a fine Batman story and a product of its time... although Frank Miller forever destroyed Superman's reputation among the fans... but I still can't stand the art.
And TDKSA is ****in atrocious on all accounts.

This is why I HATE TDKR.

I love All-Star & TDKSA. People take these too seriously, like they expected some kinda classic Finger or O'Neil story, that can be taken seriously like a Nolan film. I think people forget comics can be highly amusing, fun, entertaining and plain silly. They're like bad B rate movies or exploitation flicks. Is there anything to take from them and reflect upon? Hahahaha, NO! But who cares. Was Arnold's Commando on par with something like The Godfather or Citizen Kane? Pfft, no it was a piece of **** in comparison but a highly fun piece of ****.

I love All-Star & TDKSA. People take these too seriously, like they expected some kinda classic Finger or O'Neil story, that can be taken seriously like a Nolan film. I think people forget comics can be highly amusing, fun, entertaining and plain silly. They're like bad B rate movies or exploitation flicks. Is there anything to take from them and reflect upon? Hahahaha, NO! But who cares. Was Arnold's Commando on par with something like The Godfather or Citizen Kane? Pfft, no it was a piece of **** in comparison but a highly fun piece of ****.

They only work as parodies of DKR and the grimdark style it inadvertently spawned. Taken that way they work very well actually. But I'm not sure that was Miller's intention.

Chris O'Donnel is underrated as Dick/Robin,He did a great job despite what he had to work with and overall he's one of the few good things about the Schumacher movies

Not so much an opinion, but the whole "'97-'05 was the dark age of Batman" belief is really overblown. While it's true the film franchise was in limbo, nothing drastically changed in terms of the overall media. Batman comics still kept selling just as well, toys and merchandise were just as strong, and the list went on. If anything, certain mediums like TV and video gaming had the character thriving much higher than any time before.

If anything, the real "dark days" of Batman were the 50's and 60's. Outside of a story here and there, the quality wasn't too good. The character had deviated too far from his roots in the Kane/Finger era. Sales dropped drastically, to the point DC was questioning how much of a frontliner his two main titles should be. The popularity of the '66 show is what started turning things around, followed by Denny O'Neil returning the comics and character to their roots, followed by Frank Miller setting it in stone to the GA.

You're right, but i was one of those people who didn't read anything Batman, didn't watch any animated Bats during that period. So for people like me who gave up on it and for people who only knew Batman through the live-action movies...yeah it was a dark period.

Not so much an opinion, but the whole "'97-'05 was the dark age of Batman" belief is really overblown. While it's true the film franchise was in limbo, nothing drastically changed in terms of the overall media. Batman comics still kept selling just as well, toys and merchandise were just as strong, and the list went on. If anything, certain mediums like TV and video gaming had the character thriving much higher than any time before.

Indeed.

I kind of see both sides of it. The live action franchise was such a constant force in pop culture from 89-97, so that going down in flames was a pretty noticeable hit. And while I do really enjoy Batman Beyond...it's no TAS. Comics and merch obviously kept the flame lit though. And I actually really enjoyed the Batman: Vengeance game, for the time.

It really just depends on your point of view, your age, whether or not you fell out of comics and cartoons as you got older, etc. A LOT of my friends when I told them about Batman Begins were like, "Another Batman movie...ugh, seriously?" So there was still a pretty lasting stigma there, again from a mainstream point of view.

^ Even then, I would still argue the 50's and 60's were way worse for Bats. The '66 show was practically the thing that saved him across all mediums.

I never knew there was a dark age among fans beyond the film franchise between B&R and Begins. Lucky for me,I have always been into anything Batman and so during that time I had my fix with comics,animated films,BB show and games. I have never given up on the bat!

For some fans,it's a dark age now with current bat comics and Batman v Superman has devided fans already but I don't think all current comics are bad like recently with Batman Eternal being awesome and I'm pumped for BvS. Plus the Arkham Knight game isn't looking like a slouch either!

^ Even then, I would still argue the 50's and 60's were way worse for Bats. The '66 show was practically the thing that saved him across all mediums.

Not sure about 50's but I agree about the 60's and would say most of the 70's. As a kid,I loved the 60's show but when I got older and read old comics,I thought 60's to mid 70's Batman was total bs. Most stories weren't great and just lame compared to how Bob Kane started the character and then in the 80's it was like back to the roots but modernized nicely.

I’ll give TDKR another go sometime; it’s probably due to me just setting my expectations too high. It was so unconventional to me for a Batman story. Once I start getting deeper into Batman, I’ll read it again and see if I find some appreciation for it.

I still need to read Year One; I’ll definitely try to get my hands on it soon. I doubt I’ll read Year Two though, I read the synopsis for it, and it just doesn’t really attract me.

Also, what’s so bad about the TDKSA?

I just watched the season finale of Gotham and in all honesty I can't see why so many people hate the show. It isn't the classic it could have been but it's still very entertaining.

^ The main problem is that it's a show stuck in the past. It feels like the show they wanted to make in the early 2000's instead of Smallville, only they now made it in the Golden Age of TV when everyone is ready for a little more than just "wink wink, nudge nudge" setups.

I lost interest in the show after 10 or so episodes. The only character who was consistently well acted and entertaining was The Penguin. But he wasn't enough to keep me as a regular viewer.

Never watched the show at all. Trailers didn't catch my attention.

The Flash >>>>

I think Mask of the Phantasm is overall great but overrated! Awesome characterisms and voice acting but I hate that a love interest helped influence Bruce to become batman and that the love interest is revealed as the mysterious bad ass new villain. It worked in BR&BB but was too much here.

I agree that it's one the best batman films but I can't say that it's by far the best.

Also, what’s so bad about the TDKSA?

It's silver age-y not Miller dark, it doesn't take itself seriously and nor do the readers, not much Batman and probably more Superman tbh. Basically it's not TDKR, but sequels are usually inferior regardless (some occasions the sequel is better if not as good).

Don't know if this is unpopular or not but I'm a fan of Clark Bartram Batman Dead End, to me that's Batman, not the one on the movies with the rubbery suit that constraints your every move. Plus that Batman does works out for real.

I don't think it's unpopular. Not everybody agress through.

^ The main problem is that it's a show stuck in the past. It feels like the show they wanted to make in the early 2000's instead of Smallville, only they now made it in the Golden Age of TV when everyone is ready for a little more than just "wink wink, nudge nudge" setups.

Yup. Arrow, Daredevil, and The Flash are giving us the full superhero experience on TV, which makes the Gotham/Smallville approach look tame.

Sick of this trend of batman retiring, just so creatofs can put a definitive end to his journey.

Can't believe it's been nearly a year since this thread. It was so fun.

Anyway...breathing some life into it.

I love Dick Grayson's run as Batman. I loved Battle for the Cowl and I'd have been ok if Bruce wouldn't have come back for a pretty long while. Black Mirror was a modern marvel and I think it was Snyders best work.

The 1940's movie serials deserve some love, Not just do I find them underrated but I enjoy them more than the 1960's show and film!

BvS is good/underrated, especially the Ultimate Cut!

Arkham Knight is overall the worst of the game series.

Ben Affleck is overall the best Batman AND Bruce Wayne or at least the best Batman after Keaton but has the potential to be the best by far in Affleck's solo Bat Film!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"