State your unpopular Batman related opinion

Discussion in 'Batman World' started by Goshdarn Batman, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Eddie Dean Jokerfied

The problem with TDKR's fight scenes is that there never seems to be any impact. The moves are there but it feels like it's a stunt rehearsal. Tom Hardy takes a big swing at Bale but slows down right before he actually hits him and gently nudges him.

WhoMani and Langstrom Karlo like this.
  2. TheBattinson Registered

There was an elements of laziness to the fight scenes in Rises.

Felt like at times Nolan was kinda spent on the material beyond the over arching storyline for Bruce Wayne.

Even the gun fire sounds and squibs don’t match up with hand gun motion in the Stock Exchange heist scene if you pay remote attention.

With that said, I think the Batman / Catwoman vs LOS mercs fight, first Batman vS Bane fight, Batman saving Blake from the LOS mercs, and the final Batman v Bane fight are all very well done.

The best in the trilogy however is by far Batman vs GPD SWAT and Joker goons in the climax of TDK. It’s actually IMO by far the best fight and action sequence in ANY Batman related film ever.

Eddie Dean likes this.
  3. Eddie Dean Jokerfied

The final Batman / Bane fight is where I think it's the absolute worst. Nolan is actively cutting away from any physical contact between the two. It's infuriating. Totally agree on TDK Joker finale though.

I really think Nolan's enthusiasm f0r Batman died with Ledger. So much of DKR is just going through the motions and there's suspiciously little follow through with anything in DK. Who knows what Nolan's plan would have been for Bale v Ledger round two, but I don't think Batman immediately going into retirement following the events of DK was part of it.

TheBattinson likes this.
  4. TheBattinson Registered

I mean not if Joker broke out he wouldn’t be retired.

He’d once again given the end of that film be an outlaw hunted publicly by the cops. And if people were “losing their minds” and there was more “crazies” in Gotham.

Originally TDK was two movies. With Two Face being the second part after Joker’s capture.

I do think Ledger’s death altered things.

I do think WB parked a brinks truck on his lawn to do it.

But there was still a plan originally for a trilogy. A three part act or structure to Bruce’s story.

Now a finale Batman movie featuring Hardy’s Bane AND Ledger’s Joker makes me cream my pants with excitement.

5. BrollySupersj Howard, Fine, and Howard

I think any cowl with a covered mouth section is automatically better than one without. I think taking away any human aspect to Batman works so well in creating a phantom like monster. Batman 89 kinda did this with hiding Batman's eyes time to time. Now this doesn't mean I dislike the traditional cowl design, but put me in charge of designing Batman and I'll change it. Give Batman a cowl similar to say...Black Panter and he looks so much more intimidating.

TheBattinson likes this.
  6. CConn Fountainhead of culture.

Batman is a far more interesting character when he kills moderately but not excessively.

Spider-Aziz and TheBattinson like this.
  7. BrollySupersj Howard, Fine, and Howard

Here's one I've recently developed. The Robin suit in Batman and Robin....isn't all that bad. Now nipples aside, I feel the giant red robin emblem is a better emblem than the literal R symbol.

Spider-Aziz likes this.
  8. Awest66 Registered

There's really no way to truly know for certain considering Nolan approached each movie one at a time but I firmly disagree with the notion that he would have made Joker the main villain two movies in a row. Perhaps he would have had a supporting role but it does a massive disservice to the rest of Batman's rogues gallery to keep going back to him over and over. This is the Dark Knight trilogy, not the Joker trilogy or the Dark Knight/Joker trilogy.

On the bold part, I don't know about that. In his commentary on Rises, Nolan said that taking the fall for Harvey Dent's crimes and preserving his reputation needed to have an impact on Gotham city, therefore it can't just amount to "the police putting catching Batman as priority over the actual criminals" while the rest of the city remains completely unchanged.

TheBattinson likes this.
  9. shauner111 Registered

There’s a great story and emotional arc for Bruce in TDKR. Bane is also a creative change after Joker. Nolan had passion for that final instalment. However, film editing, sound editing, all that **** was rushed like crazy. Most of the problems are either from editing or what he and his brother were trying to accomplish with the actual plot. That’s where it gets messy. The hand to hand combat is always messy for Chris, but it comes off worse than usual in Rises because of how those sequences are cut. I do think he was drained..AFTER he got all the footage he wanted and moved to the editing room. It’s really a shame.

The Batman on the other hand will be the first for Reeves and just like the script, he will take his time with every ounce of this film. TDKR has a cut in the vault that makes it a near masterpiece, im positive of it. I’m sure there’s still a couple of issues that would be impossible to fix, but most of its problems (fighting as well) could be fixed with a new cut. But Nolan hates director’s/extended cuts so it will never happen. The guy prefers the terrible OG Bladerunner with the narration lol. That’s how much of a screwball he is. He admits to rushing in the editing room and it baffles me.

Hopefully Matt has the opposite attitude and tries to get everything right before making it available for theaters worldwide.

10. WhoMani Registered

I don't really mind if Batman kills in self defense.

11. TheBattinson Registered

Me neither, or immediate urgency to protect the greater good ... where it's nearly inescapable or plausible to do otherwise anyway.

1) Joker Goons controlling chemical weapons? Fine by me.
    2) Joker killing himself trying to escape while Bats tries to catch? Fine by me.
    3) Two Face going after all his coins killing himself? Fine by me.
    4) League of Shadow Goons dying in an explosive fire? Fine by me.
    5) Left Ra's, who basically committed suicide, to fend for himself? Fine by me.
    6) Dent incidentally falling to his death, saving Gordon's son? Fine by me.
    7) Shooting Talia's armored car which falls to her death, to stop a nuclear bomb? Fine by me.
    8) Returning fire from his bat jet on anti aircraft guns to save Supes mom? Fine by me.

None of these bother me. The bomb on the strong man from Returns, with smile is an actual murderous problem for me.

WhoMani and shauner111 like this.
  12. Milk Tray Guy 70s Man of Action

That doesn't bother me, although I can see why it would bother someone.

How do you feel about the fire-eater (assuming he dies, which I always have), also in Returns?

13. Spider-Aziz Farewell, Silver Perm Friend

Did something wrong happen? I think the current page is showing a post of years past.

Of course it's not bad, it's the Nightwing suit with a cape and a pinkurple emblem.

14. Frodo Registered

My unpopular opinion: Kilmer was a decent Batman .

Sure, he wasn't given the greatest material and he didn't have a Chris Nolan to guide him, but I felt he did fine with what he was given.

At the time , i.e. 1995-96, he felt the closet to me to the Animated series Batman in live action. He was a hero as opposed to an avenger, he had something of a code however thin, and he looked like the Dashing and charming playboy.

His version is uneven, though I feel that has more to do with the script and direction then Kilmer's performance.

I think feel he either gets lumped in with the trainwreck of Batman and Robin or he gets ignored, forgotten, or dismissed all together.

More people tend to talk about Clooney than they do Kilmer.

Spider-Aziz and Milk Tray Guy like this.
  15. Milk Tray Guy 70s Man of Action

:up: I thought Kilmer was a great Batman and Bruce Wayne. And for my money no-one has ever looked better in the suit.

Spider-Aziz likes this.
  16. Schlosser85 A Very Stable Genius

I don't know how popular or unpopular this, but I see Batman as a loner.

I'm not even the biggest fan of Robin, let alone an entire extended "Bat-family".

For that matter my ideal Joker is a loner too and not the type to keep a girlfriend around with any regularity.

17. TheBattinson Registered

Absolutely me too. 100% on all accounts

Spider-Aziz and Schlosser85 like this.
  18. Milk Tray Guy 70s Man of Action

I don't like the Batman/Catwoman romance. I've never liked it. I like Catwoman as a character. I'm okay with a bit of flirting. But the only time I've enjoyed the actual romantic relationship is in Batman Returns.

Spider-Aziz likes this.
  19. TheBattinson Registered

His performance and characterization was neutered ... while also being bland and boring.

Keaton was heroic (primarily in 89) but also dark, neurotic, interesting and tortured.

Kilmer was a card board cut out and nearly one dimensional in a really boring way. Batman isn’t a superhero. He has more teeth, vengeance and violence to him than Forever presented. Even his poses were like corny cliche superhero posing. Not a threatening urban legend, monster or dangerous vigilante.

It’s also why him having a little boy sidekick in fighting dangerous crime is utterly stupid.

Spider-Aziz likes this.
  20. FeedOnATreeFrog (A Metal Gear reference)

-TDKT is the best iteration of Batman ever made, in large part because Nolan had a vision of how this character and story could 'feel', and he didn't let comic-faithfulness get in the way of serving that direction. Reeves needs to do the same thing, to take pieces of Bat mythology and change them as he sees fit to serve a specific vision.

-Bat family are fun characters, but TV is the perfect place for them.

-A violent AF Robin who's lost his way was the right move to bring the character back (execution is another issue).

-A Batman who's lost his way and deviated from his traditional morals, paired together with Superman, is a good story (execution is another issue).

-Philipps' Joker has great aesthetics, tension-building, and performances, creating an absorbing visceral experience for the audience, but the story underneath is not that well constructed as an overall piece (exact same problem as Logan).

#720 FeedOnATreeFrog, Apr 2, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
  21. Herofan Registered

He didn't die, he set a good example for the viewers by stopping, dropping and rolling ;).

Spider-Aziz likes this.
  22. Milk Tray Guy 70s Man of Action

Fire-safety is important :yay:

Spider-Aziz likes this.
  23. TheGuy Dwelling under the Batcave

HQ > BTAS

Spider-Aziz likes this.
  24. Spider-Aziz Farewell, Silver Perm Friend

Your avatar is awesome. Asamiya Kia did a great job with Child of Destiny, especially with the cover art.

TheBattinson likes this.
  25. TheBattinson Registered

Thanks my brother.

Keaton in a 89 esque comic book hybrid suit is sick af

Spider-Aziz likes this.