State your unpopular Batman related opinion

How could I forget ... Robin sucks.

As do the other super natural characters in the mythos.

89, TDKT, Year One, Long Halloween, TDKR are like my preferred primary roots or favorite iterations of the character.

Here’s one:

I can do without a batwing. It sorta contradicts what Batman is trying to achieve. With a suit, a car, he can get away with that without looking like he’s a millionaire or billionaire. A plane or a jet? It really narrows the suspects down, makes it easier to figure out who’s funding Batman or if Batman is indeed making the big bucks.

It’s also a bit of a death sentence in the movies. Immediately turns it into a massive action extravaganza. And I’m at the point where I get more out of Batman stories that are smaller and ground level. For once, I’d like to see a trilogy where a Batwing doesn’t exist.

Oh boy, I have a few:

1. I hate Harley Quinn with a burning, unending hatred. I wish she never existed.
2. I don't like Clay-Sandman/Chameleon-Face. I mentioned the Preston Payne version as my preferred version of Clayface (which is in itself an unpopular opinion) but the giant mud creature just seems... out of place in a Batman story.
3. I'm not big on the modern version of Black Mask, aka Black Skull. I prefer the original version of the character from 1985. He had an actual motivation beyond being a mildly interesting gangster.
4. I like Robin. I think he's an incredibly important character to the mythos.

I hate the Court of Owls. I don't find them or their story-line interesting and the entire premise feels like jumping the shark to me. There is already deep reaching corruption in Gotham, ranging from Mob Families, The Government, The Police, tons of crazy villains, henchmen and just regular old criminals everywhere. Now all the sudden there is this ancient society of goofs in Owl costumes that have been around for centuries but nobody knew? It reeks of over-reaching to create something new because the classics have been used over and over.

I feel similarly about the expansion of the "Bat Family". It's just jumping the shark to me. Outside of the main Jason Todd Red Hood story, anything after Dick and Barbara I've never found interesting.

- I'm not a fan of what I've read of Batman in comics, including Year One, and The Long Halloween...except that I find All-Star Batman & Robin to be an amusing parody of the character (whether or not it's intended as parody). Similarly, the only versions of The Joker I've enjoyed are from the movies.

- I'm seemingly the only person who didn't like how Heath Ledger played The Joker. His nebbishy voices didn't appeal to me. I liked his Joker in spite of that.

- Black batsuit all the way.

- I like Batman as a mysterious character who works alone. If he is going to take on a sidekick, I prefer one Batgirl (Barbara Gordon or maybe Stephanie Brown), not a “batfamily”. I can appreciate Batgirl for her own sake, while Robin just isn't that good of a persona. I'd rather Grayson just be Nightwing to begin with, if he is going to show up.

- People criticize Arrow for being like Batman, but I like that because it takes elements of Batman that I don't want for Batman, like the batfamily concept, and places them in a context where they don't conflict with any preexisting expectations on my part. I had no background with Green Arrow, so it was a blank slate for me to get, among other things, the “alternative” Batman experience.

- I haven't liked Penguin or The Riddler outside of what little I've seen of them on Gotham. I wasn't that crazy about Two-Face in The Dark Knight. He was all right when he briefly showed up in Arkham City.

- I liked Basinger's Vicki Vale, Rachel Dawes, and especially Chase Meridian.

I feel similarly about the expansion of the "Bat Family". It's just jumping the shark to me. Outside of the main Jason Todd Red Hood story, anything after Dick and Barbara I've never found interesting.
:applaud

Go one further ... they all suck. Batman works best as an isolated solitary individual but a tragic lonely character. With a disturbing one man reign of terror in a war on crime.

Mentoring a child stricken by a similar tragedy is great, as well as the lineage angle. But actual child sidekicks is utterly stupid.

Oh boy, I have a few:

1. I hate Harley Quinn with a burning, unending hatred. I wish she never existed.
2. I don't like Clay-Sandman/Chameleon-Face. I mentioned the Preston Payne version as my preferred version of Clayface (which is in itself an unpopular opinion) but the giant mud creature just seems... out of place in a Batman story.
3. I'm not big on the modern version of Black Mask, aka Black Skull. I prefer the original version of the character from 1985. He had an actual motivation beyond being a mildly interesting gangster.
4. I like Robin. I think he's an incredibly important character to the mythos.
Yes to the last point.

As for points 1 and 2, some of Batman:TAS's best episodes have these two characters, and I love the involvement of Matt Hagen in a Justice League arc in the cartoon.

I don’t like Robin as a child. Like others have said here, it doesn’t add up. It doesn’t make Bruce more interesting, it makes him unlikable. If they can do it in the movies and turn me on the concept, then I’m all for it, but Dick Grayson works better as a 16 year old. But 8 or 10? Hell no.

The Under The Red Hood storyline is stupid and desperate. Jason Todd is not at all interesting. Any Robin after Dick is unnecessary. Baffles me when fans always suggest it for the basis of a new movie.

Clayface is better as a rejected horror movie actor who becomes a serial killer. Pure slasher! It sounds more like a classic Batman mystery plot than...a huge clay monster doing whatever a clay monster does lol. That’s some Spider-Man ****.

Man-Bat is a SUPER cheesy name for a villain. How could anyone past age 5 take that seriously or get creeped out by it? I can’t imagine him in the movies.

All of the fantastical villains could be sold to Marvel for them to use in a Spidey comic/animation/live-action film and it would feel more natural than seeing Batman take them down. Whether I’m a fan of some of them or not. Freeze, Croc, Grundy, Ivy, Clayface etc.

Batman Beyond should only be a last resort for Warner Brothers, when they have run out of ideas for the franchise.

Val Kilmer could have been the GOAT with a better team behind him. Forever has the coolest batcave in cinema so far. The score in that movie is every bit as catchy as Elfman’s.

I'm not a big fan of the penguin and think he is one of the less interesting classic batman foes.

I like Damien Wayne and Jason Todd. I like that they challenge batman and have their own views on how to do things.

Personally I think most violent street vigilante superheroes who have no kill rules are still not morally righteous characters. Characters like batman and daredevil still jump and the shadows and violently assault people. Anywhere outside the fantasy of comics would have them locked up in jail.

I dislike the Gotham police force being portrayed as incompetent to justify the need for batman. I'm ok with them being too corrupt though.

BTAS isn't the definitive Batman interpretation outside of the comics. And I find those people who preach the series as some perfect output are rather condescending. I know that it is greatly inspirational for the animated medium, but can we at least have some conversation without others being slapped in almost every other post how BTAS this and BTAS that? :o

BTAS isn't the definitive Batman interpretation outside of the comics. And I find those people who preach the series as some perfect output are rather condescending. I know that it is greatly inspirational for the animated medium, but can we at least have some conversation without others being slapped in almost every other post how BTAS this and BTAS that? :o

tumblr_otqgzjeJ0b1rrkahjo5_540.gifv

Last edited:
Speaking of unpopular opinions...

Batman & Robin and even Batman Forever are way more enjoyable to watch than Man of Steel and Batman Vee Superman Colon Dawn of Justice.

Speaking of unpopular opinions...

Batman & Robin and even Batman Forever are way more enjoyable to watch than Man of Steel and Batman Vee Superman Colon Dawn of Justice.
Definitely. Lol. :hehe:

You can even extend further that the Schumacher movies are the most enjoyable Batman movies. With the Burton, Nolan, and arguably Snyder's movies you had to pay attention with the details (visuals and story) but the Schumacher movies are so whack.

I love the Harley Quinn accent and hope to hear it every time the character is adapted. Partly to piss off the people who find the accent annoying.

I love the Harley Quinn accent and hope to hear it every time the character is adapted. Partly to piss off the people who find the accent annoying.
BTAS or HQ? Or both?

I don't like how DC is trying to make Harley Quinn DC's version of Deadpool, by shoving her into lead role nonstop. She doesn't work in lead roles, as she's a purposefully annoying character, and it just doesn't work. She works in bite size chunks or as a side character. It's just too much annoyance. It's like making Janice from Friends the star of the show, when she only works in small doses. If you made Janice the star of Friends, it would've totally destroyed that show.

I don't like Ben Affleck's Batman. Beyond the numerous problems with the script and characterization, which are very admittedly the biggest problems, I have a really hard time getting past the fact that it's Ben Affleck in a Batsuit or Ben Affleck in a tuxedo in an effort to buy that he's the character. Snyder made a mistake in casting a name for the role because at the time they were cast, every other actor to play Batman in live action hadn't built up a high profile career spanning two decades.

Anyone who has a problem with Robin because they believe that Batman works best on his own either willingly ignores Alfred and Gordon or are seriously deluded about Bruce as a character. Batman worked solo for less than a year in his overall history. There are a shockingly few stories in the comics, shows, games, or other media where Batman is shown to be entirely working by himself. He needs people in his circle.

Anyone who has a problem with Robin because they believe that Batman works best on his own either willingly ignores Alfred and Gordon or are seriously deluded about Bruce as a character. Batman worked solo for less than a year in his overall history. There are a shockingly few stories in the comics, shows, games, or other media where Batman is shown to be entirely working by himself. He needs people in his circle.
giphy.gif

Probably also the main reason why I prefer the Schumacher movies over Burton's.

I have a few:
  • Harley Quinn is far more interesting when writers explore her relationship with Poison Ivy and/or Joker. She's boring when she's not around with either of them
  • Batman Begins is the best Batman movie imo and I personally feel its better than Batman: Mask of the Phantasm. I find Mask of the Phantasm to be just good but not great.
  • I have no problems with Batman not working alone and having sidekicks. Its very easy to forget that Batman is just a man, also technically Batman did not work alone in his early days as he had Gordon and Alfred. Without Gordon Batman wouldn't be able to have a working relationship with GCPD and have easy access to the evidence. While Alfred offered moral and medical support to Bruce.
  • I actually enjoy Batman having crossovers with other superheroes (especially Superman) and Batman being in the Justice League works for me.
  • I don't like Huntress and Red Hood. I don't really see why Batman would be willing work with Red Hood as he's a cold-hearted killer.
  • Barbara Gordon should have remain as Oracle.
  • I don't really care for Penguin and Black Mask.
  • I have no problems with Bruce retiring as Batman in The Dark Knight Rises.

I agree. BTAS is the definitive Batman interpretation, period.

In many respects, Yes, I can understand that but it has actually quite a few shortcomings in terms of portraying certain characters (It's version of Catwoman was pretty lackluster honestly)

I'm not a fan of the BTAS/TNBA version of Catwoman and I think the 2004 Batman cartoon did a better job with her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"