Logan Stephen Merchant is the New CALIBAN!

Doesn't make them an idiot in any sort of the sense. This was a minor character. The majority want to be entertained and don't care about details or characters that are insignificant.

Ironically it wouldn't surprise me if the inconsistency in the franchise is what actually starting to create backlash, no one can follow whats going on because no one really knows who is officially who and whats continuity anymore.

its easy to go by the idea that if they do it again and do it right thats all that matters but i am sure if they retconned another 3rd colossus but changed him up losing perhaps the accent you would probably dislike that and then be bothered about the lack of continuity, but this franchise seems to do that so probably shouldn't be shocked if another director had a different vision and executed that vision.

At the end of the day all I care about is that they produce a good film.

At the moment though this just feels like a misstep. We literally just saw Caliban in the film that was released earlier this year, portrayed by a different actor set in the 80s. I assume there's going to be age bending to accompany the recast or or complete reboot of the character. Caliban will need to be pretty compelling in the new film to overlook this.

How they've used Jubilee though is even more proof to me that there's no planning or coordination with these films.

They changed Jubilee's age from her cameo appearance in the original trilogy so that she could appear in the 80's apocalypse film only to end up cutting almost all of her scenes. Now we learn the Reavers are the villains in Logan, set in the 2020s. Jubilee made her appearance in the comics rescuing Logan from the Reavers. If they were going to reboot her age this would have been a much better film to use her in as it would have been more true to the comics.

Now we have X-23 in the film who apparently would have been engineered by Mister Sinister given the end credits scene of Apocalypse. Mangold has said the character isn't in the film and Richard E. Grant is playing another mad scientist type. So are we to believe that they are planning to use Sinister later or do they just have coordination problems?

They changed Jubilee's age from her cameo appearance in the original trilogy so that she could appear in the 80's apocalypse film only to end up cutting almost all of her scenes. Now we learn the Reavers are the villains in Logan, set in the 2020s. Jubilee made her appearance in the comics rescuing Logan from the Reavers. If they were going to reboot her age this would have been a much better film to use her in as it would have been more true to the comics.

honestly replacing Jubilee with X23 in the Reavers story is such a great decision!

Sorry, but Jubilee is so irrelevant. Even in the comic books nobody cares about Jubilee since the 1990s...She had her seconds of fame but they are long gone. jubilee fans should be happy that they saw her at least for a moment in X-Men Apocalypse.

honestly replacing Jubilee with X23 in the Reavers story is such a great decision!

Sorry, but Jubilee is so irrelevant. Even in the comic books nobody cares about Jubilee since the 1990s...She had her seconds of fame but they are long gone. jubilee fans should be happy that they saw her at least for a moment in X-Men Apocalypse.

Jubilee is poor man's kitty pryde and 3rd rate one at that.those who primily know X-Men pre films through animated series have nostalgia glasses on.

even mostly cutting out mall sequenze jubilee had bigger role than in trilogy.

she was in apocalypse because singer likes the character.

quite honestly if people are going to go after singer and mangold for characters they need to go after Miller as well.on wiki deadpool page is quoted at saying colossus in X2,3,and DOFP wans't f-ing colossus.

ignore the better cgi and russian accent.colossus In deadpool is made into
simpletan,which while colossus comes from peasent background isn't something i would call colossus,and made him punching bag for the villains.
This is acceptable for deadpool solo which is basicly a r rated violent
comedy.But,it's not ok for full X-Men film.

Depends if she comes back for next movie

Jubilee is poor man's kitty pryde and 3rd rate one at that.those who primily know X-Men pre films through animated series have nostalgia glasses on.

Many things could be seen as having nostalgic goggles on, including judging a character as a poor mans versions of another prefered character which really doesn't matter one bit.

Last edited:
Many things could be seen as having nostalgic goggles on, including judging a character as a poor mans versions of another particular preferred character which really doesn't matter one bit in context to each owns opinion.

I started reading comic books a long time after Kitty Pryde was Wolverine's little sidekick but even I know that Kitty Pryde is often implied by Claremont to become mutantkinds true champion in the future and is destined to become the first mutant president of the United States. Kitty Pryde very much matters!

There is nothing nostalgic about her relevance in the X-Men canon.

Jubilee on the other hand...:whatever:

I started reading comic books a long time after Kitty Pryde was Wolverine's little sidekick but even I know that Kitty Pryde is often implied by Claremont to become mutantkinds true champion in the future and is destined to become the first mutant president of the United States. Kitty Pryde very much matters!

There is nothing nostalgic about her relevance in the X-Men canon.

Jubilee on the other hand...:whatever:

Everyone has relevance in some X-Men canon or another, you can't say one is more important then something else like its fact because that's based on opinion.

Last edited:
It's still a shame most of Jubilee's scenes were cut from XM:A.

She was mostly just the 'annoying kid' in the animated series and I have no great attachment to her, but it's still not good to cast someone and get the look right and then virtually remove them from the movie.

I'll agree and disagree. If we're talking about the Jubilee of that era, I think she would work well. That being said, the Jubilee of the era has never been seen again. Hell, I'd argue X-23 in the movie will probably be closer to the Jubilee of the era than Jubilee has been.

They will probably just ignore Caliban from Apocalypse. This is probably going to be presented as a completely different character with no relation to the one Tomas Lemarquis portrayed.

I'm not a huge Jubilee fan. I'm just pointing out that they've been trying to use the character without success. There were storyboards from DoFP where she was one of the mutants in the future. Then she was cast and filmed in Apocalypse to have her scenes cut. Introducing her in a Wolverine solo film simply would have been a better choice if they were wanting to use the character. Not as much competition for screen time and the producers would have had the good will of comic accuracy on their side.

Another example of this is in X3. They chose to adapt the dark phoenix saga without the Hellfire Club. Then they used the Hellfire Club in First Class which was set in the 60s. So now in the new timeline even if they revisit the dark phoenix saga again we won't see the hellfire club involved in the story.

With the right planning Donald Pierce could have been a member of the Hellfire Club in the film universe and returned as the leader of the Reavers in this film.

So now in the new timeline even if they revisit the dark phoenix saga again we won't see the hellfire club involved in the story.

Nothing's stopping them tbh. Won't be surprised if they did a third Emma Frost (oh I mean third Emma...we wouldn't want the apologists to point out that the first one was Emma *Silverfox*) lol :drl:

They will probably just ignore Caliban from Apocalypse. This is probably going to be presented as a completely different character with no relation to the one Tomas Lemarquis portrayed.

If there are no indications, this caliban will be the same Caliban in 80's apocalypse
like Vistor in Origins in Sabretooth in X1, and Toad DOFP is Toad X1.

If there are no indications, this caliban will be the same Caliban in 80's apocalypse
like Vistor in Origins in Sabretooth in X1, and Toad DOFP is Toad X1.
Except how has Caliban not aged in over 40 years?

Cyclops doesnt look like an old man (56yo) in 2023

Maybe Caliban ages slowly

I guess Wolverine isn't that special after all. Every mutant can have a healing factor and age slowly.

Logan, Mystique, immortals mutants like Apocalypse, Selene .. yes.

But the others, Cyclops, Havok, Xavier, Emma, Storm ... they age like normal humans.

But some characters can age slowly in movies version like Sebastian Shaw

I think it has periodically been stated in the comics that mutants in general age slower and better than normal humans. Its not a matter of immortality or agelessness; just that, absent other factors, the typical mutant will have a longer lifespan than the typical human by a couple decades, and retain health and wits better.

So this Caliban can now find Karl Pilkington being an idiot anywhere in the world? Interesting.

This film seems so weird with continuity

I'm more bothered by there only being a year between the end of DoFP and this though

I find it appropriate. Sentinels were the problem in that chaotic future in DoFP, whereas a new problem has occurred. I'm actually wondering if the Sentinel program isn't completely scrapped, just transmogrified into becoming the Transmode Virus, with a Legacy Virus effect with it depowering/killing mutants and eventually even humans.

The inconsistency of Apocalypse's Logan whereabouts was bothersome, considering how Mystique rescued him at the end of DoFP disguised as Stryker. Bit confusing in that they didn't even try to explain that in the sequel. DoFP might be my favorite X-Men movie. It had so much comic bookyness to it. Loved it.

Logan, Mystique, immortals mutants like Apocalypse, Selene .. yes.

But the others, Cyclops, Havok, Xavier, Emma, Storm ... they age like normal humans.

But some characters can age slowly in movies version like Sebastian Shaw

Well, you have to take into account comic book character aging. It's very relative. But do get what you mean.

Healing factors, metamorphic powers... They slow things down greatly. Magneto's magnetism creates a slower aging and keeps him spry well into his years. Same goes for Sebastian Shaw, which is actually comic book accurate from the movie. His kinetic powers give him a healing factor by the absorption slowing his cells aging by the lack of damage they take through impact, energy, and even the natural wearing down of cells and tissues. You can argue Gambit and Cannonball can have a slower aging. And since movie version Negasonic Teenage Warhead was basically given (sorta) Cannonball's powers, she'll age slower, too.

U'r right
about Shaw's powers and abilities, his marvel.wikia page :

Age Reversal: Shaw's healing factor decelerates his aging process & restores most of his youth when he has absorbed energy, effectively making him immortal in a sense.

The inconsistency of Apocalypse's Logan whereabouts was bothersome, considering how Mystique rescued him at the end of DoFP disguised as Stryker. Bit confusing in that they didn't even try to explain that in the sequel. DoFP might be my favorite X-Men movie. It had so much comic bookyness to it. Loved it.

Wolverine was a solider that volunteered for the surgery in the 80s as explained in X1, X2, and Origins. They didn't need to explain it Apocalypse because it was already explained in previous films several times.

I'm not very familiar with the comic version of Caliban but I liked the Logan version more than the one in Apocalypse.

My group of friends also preferred this Caliban. I'm personally a little bit more torn, I loved the heart and deepness of this version, but I also liked the other version's humor and quirkiness. I think both did good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"