Superhero Cinematic Civil War - - - - Part 44

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing I really don't like about Ang Hulk is how they all talk in whispers. Speak up.
How do you guys feel about Norton in the role?
Maybe underwhelming in delivering lines, but good in timing facial expressions. I'm fond of how he played the role most of the time.

The IMDB score for Black Panther is now 6.7. I am sure this is totally normal and they have all seen it.

8300 viewers only, I wonder how many of them belong to the "F*** DISNEY" crowd.

RIP to Frank Storm from Fan4stic, Reg E Cathey
http://www.indiewire.com/2018/02/reg-e-cathey-dead-dies-house-of-cards-1201927244/
He was actually a good actor despite his most recent SH movie appearance
TIH I feel is definitely underrated. I like it more than Iron Man 2, Iron Man 3, and Thor: The Dark World. Now, once you get into the next tier of MCU movies, then I start having to make hard choices, LOL!

I'll go one further I'd put it above all the ones you mentioned as well as Dr. Strange, TFA, Thor 1, Guardians 2, and Ragnarok. Yeah I said it.
How do you guys feel about Norton in the role? To me he felt like he was sleepwalking. Nothing in the way of charisma or energy and the chemistry between him and Liv Tyler is borderline non-existent. I'd argue that they are both Marvel's only two casting mistakes.

He's fine in the role, same with Tyler. The problem is they didn't give them a lot of personality. I mean to me that's been a problem with all the live action Hulk's before Ruffalo. Whedon actually wrote Banner to have personality.

It still bothers me we haven't even gotten an appearance of Betty or even a mention.

How do you guys feel about Norton in the role? To me he felt like he was sleepwalking. Nothing in the way of charisma or energy and the chemistry between him and Liv Tyler is borderline non-existent. I'd argue that they are both Marvel's only two casting mistakes.

He and Ruffallo are probably equal. Norton didn’t blow me away, but Ruffallo is easily the most overrated actor in the Avengers lineup.

The Incredible Hulk looks and plays like a filler television episode of something. Its not substantial in anyway, and looks cheap.

It's probably one of the only MCU films that is serious all the way through. This and TWS.

Yeah, he’s apparently very selective when it comes to roles. So that’s something, but no one is perfect.

Makes me wonder why Hardy was in This Means War. Its baffling a guy of his caliber would be in a terrible rom-com.

In any case, the Venom trailer was a nothingburger. I couldn't tell that was a CBM if not for the Venom title at the end.

Oh dear gawd, Reg E...he was barely in much in recent years but he's practically a stellar Morgan Freeman stand-in. RIP

Besides Spider-Man and Ant-Man, Civil War is pretty serious too for the most part. Especially since it has one of, if not the darkest scene in the MCU to date:

[YT]hqdiDJ1hqxU[/YT]

Besides Spider-Man and Ant-Man, Civil War is pretty serious too for the most part. Especially since it has one of, if not the darkest scene in the MCU to date:

[YT]hqdiDJ1hqxU[/YT]

Ehhhhh....

[YT]hqdiDJ1hqxU[/YT]

1ka4gr.jpg

I hope that we get to see Jeff Goldblum in the MCU again.

The Champion, I agree. Jeff Goldblum should return as Jeff Goldblum in the MCU.

I preferred And Lee's Hulk due to its strong drama and character work. It seemed like a piece of art, for example when they mimicked comic book panels, or in the fight with the tanks at the end.

There was also a lot of humanity to Eric Bana's Bruce Banner, we saw who he was as a person and it was a rare film that I thought had the "socially awkward scientist who is somewhere on the autism spectrum" role played out in a humane, empathetic, and realistic manner. Normally those roles are played for the audience to laugh at (Steve Urkel, or GdT's scientist characters), and later MCU scientist characters (Stark, Banner, etc) are simply jocks with brains. Rather than representing nerds, they pretend that nerds are jocks. An example is Tony Stark "I'm a billionaire, philanthropist, playboy, I invent a new suit every week, and I'm going to bring back the Prima Noctae, all shall worship me," I get that everybody loves him but I mostly find his shtick annoying.

It's the way Bana rode his bicycle (In contrast, Ruffalo's Hulk might just drive a Ferrari), how he couldn't get his relationship with Betty to work, how he couldn't effectively talk back to Talbot. The Hulk was in effect a power fantasy for him to resolve his problems, but at the same time it's an anger that he was afraid of, as anger has consequences. I will leave aside the rich commentary on mature capitalism and the military-industrial complex.

Aside form that, the magnificent cinematography continues to be unmatched by the MCU (Ragnarok is arguably an exception), as is the excellent musical score. And Lee's Hulk is a movie that I've seen many times in the past, and will see many more times in the future.

Totally agreed, Ang Lee's Hulk is still one of the most under rated CBMs of all time for me, it was the first CBM that delved a little further into its main character and the mental complexities of Banner and Hulk. I try and watch it around once a year as I find it so enjoyable.

That said, I did like TIH also, as well as the MCU Hulk in general.

Yes, but besides the airport fight scene, the jokes were few and far between.

Ehhhh.
-Serious speech from Rhodey. Then "Tony Stank"
-Right after Bucky and Cap get detained, That whole Paprika thing
-The opening fight scene with Falcon's little drone. "Go ahead, pet him"
-"Cmon man" Steve said to Bucky during their escape
-The Sharon kiss
-Spider-Man's whole intro scene in his apartment
I could go on. And even saying "Besides the airport fight scene" That's like over 10 mins of the movie, which even for a 2+ hour movie that's a good amount of time for 1 uninterrupted scene or set piece

It wasn't as prominent as other movies, but Civil War did have a fair bit of comedy especially compared to TWS. And even besides the humor, with how "slap-boxy" the airport fight scene is and how they really didn't take some full measures with the ideas introduced, Civil War is not that serious to me. Sure maybe more serious compared to a majority of the rest of the MCU, but that's not saying much.

Not saying you can't have humor and be serious at the same time, I just don't get how Civil War is that serious when the whole major climax to the main conflict are a bunch of people pulling their punches.

Last edited:
Russos can handle the humor perfect IMO.
Im very confident, Infinity War will not be a laugh fest.

Russos can handle the humor perfect IMO.
Im very confident, Infinity War will not be a laugh fest.

I thought it was perfect in TWS, Civil War I had a good amount of problems how they balanced it. With CW being so much more successful than TWS, I can see them leaning more toward their CW sensibilities.

-Serious speech from Rhodey. Then "Tony Stank"
I think it is funcional to say Rhodey is not broken and gets very depressing.

-Right after Bucky and Cap get detained, That whole Paprika Thing
That is one of my favorite cuts in the entire MCU :drl:

-The opening fight scene with Falcon's little drone. "Go ahead, pet him"
Not too bad for me

-"Cmon man" Steve said to Bucky during their escape
Yeah I can see your Point, but I think this is still very in character

-The Sharon kiss
That works perfect for me.

-Spider-Man's whole intro scene in his Apartment
Here I can agree. Way too much.

I could go on. And even saying "Besides the airport fight scene" That's like over 10 mins of the movie, which even for a 2+ hour movie that's a good amount of time for 1 uninterrupted scene or set piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"