Superhero Cinematic Civil War - - - - - - - - Part 48

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty indifferent about Aquaman right now. Before JL, I was a little excited. I've heard good things about Wan and I liked the cast they put together. But after? Momoa was pretty lame surfer bro and I'm not sure he can lead his own film

Just read about the alleged negative reception to Aquaman.

I don't think Wan would be a problem, I've only seen Furious 7 though. My biggest worry was Momoa. He just never came across as a leading man to me. He seems charismatic enough, but from Ive seen of his Aquaman I'm not really interested in following that character around.

But I'll have to see the material for myself. There was allegedly a lot of positive reception too. The adventure-y, Indiana Jones feel that it's supposed to have does sound interesting. Not what I would've done, but interesting none the less

Last edited:
Gal Gadot left a mixed impression as an actress until we saw Wonder Woman. I think Jason Momoa has the potential to be better in his solo movie, or at least that is what I hope for.
Wan made two legit good films - Saw and Conjuring. The rest of his films are quite mediocre at best.
It's a bad movie with an interesting -albeit far fetched- idea behind it.

Gal Gadot left a mixed impression as an actress until we saw Wonder Woman. I think Jason Momoa has the potential to be better in his solo movie, or at least that is what I hope for.
It's a bad movie with an interesting -albeit far fetched- idea behind it.

After WW I still think she's a mediocre actress so that analogy doesn't do anything for me.

As I said, I hope to be proven wrong. But it's whatever at this point

After WW I still think she's a mediocre actress so that analogy doesn't do anything for me.

As I said, I hope to be proven wrong. But it's whatever at this point
I thought she was mildly more impressive there than in her BvS appearance.

I thought she was mildly more impressive there than in her BvS appearance.

She worked well in Wonder Woman, because Patty Jenkins knew how to use her well, and how to coverup her limitations. I actually think she made a great Wonder Woman... but everything else I've seen her in (including JL and BvS) leaves something to be desired.

She worked well in Wonder Woman, because Patty Jenkins knew how to use her well, and how to coverup her limitations. I actually think she made a great Wonder Woman... but everything else I've seen her in (including JL and BvS) leaves something to be desired.

Looking back at the shortlist, the other Wonder Women under consideration were:

Elodie Yung, would have been inferior, she was boring in Daredevil.
Jamie Alexander, would have probably been inferior.
Olga Kurylenko, I'm unsure, but she was good in Oblivion, she's old though.

But from previous iterations, Megan Gale might have been better. Lilly Collins was also fabulous in John Carter.

Last edited:

Elodie was great in Gods of Egypt; very similar role.
She just doesn't have the height requirement to make the Amazon believable. They'd pretty much have to do what they did for Gods of Egypt.
Jamie Alexander would just be playing Sif.
Olga has the most experience relative to these ladies and I don't think I've seen a role where she doesn't have that accent.
I feel like the accent is also now pretty pivotal to WW. So, if she was the 2nd to last choice, it'd make perfect sense.

I'm one of the people who weren't impressed, I liked her in all three movies though.

Avengers has been dethroned domestically by Black Panther.

Idk no offense TO Gadot but I don't think she'll be remembered as one of the great SH performances like some people were saying last year. And I still stand by saying on a pure film level (just judging the film) this iteration of Wonder Woman on film will not be that revered

I think it’ll depend on how she’s used going forward. And unless they **** up royally, I think her WW will definitely continue to be celebrated in the future.

Once we get more female led superhero movies, her performance in WW wont be as revered as it is today.

I doubt it. I certainly didn’t think she was fantastic, but she did a fine job, and worked with a director who knew how to use her. She won’t necessarily become the Christopher Reeve of Wonder Women or even female heroes in general, but if she continues to improve (or even just stays where she’s at), I think she’ll be highly regarded.

I think it’ll depend on how she’s used going forward. And unless they **** up royally, I think her WW will definitely continue to be celebrated in the future.
Agreed.

Woah, no love for Insidious here? I mean I know the third act gets a bit ridiculous, but I always thought its first two-thirds were great low-budget horror, with effective, unpredictable scares.

I like parts of that movie and the overall concept is interesting but Demonic Darth Maul is just too silly looking to be scary.

But from previous iterations, Megan Gale might have been better. Lilly Collins was also fabulous in John Carter.

All of these actresses seem objectively better than Gadot. I'm also of the opinion that Patty Jenkins used Gadot masterfully to pull a great performance out of a very limited, however charming actress. I think Jenkins could have pulled something even more incredible out of these actresses who give WW-level performances with middling directors.

Absolutely. WW is the Batman 89 of superheroine movies, and Gadot will always have a special place in the heart because of it.

I think if the movie had been made in early 2000s Angelina Jolie would've been a shoe-in for the part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"