• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Superman II Donner Cut VS Spider-man 2

It´s not a fair comparison cuz even this Donner cut of SMII is not the completed movie that he wanted to shoot. Raimi had the luck that he never had to deal with bastards like the Salkinds producing his Spidey movies.

ultimatefan said:
It´s not a fair comparison cuz even this Donner cut of SMII is not the completed movie that he wanted to shoot. Raimi had the luck that he never had to deal with bastards like the Salkinds producing his Spidey movies.

The circumstances are irrelevant. All that matters is what YOU think. It's all in your hands.

And the donner cut tramples all over raimi's spidey easily so vote for that please.

Now seeing the real Donner SII would be interesting. But both cuts now have bad dialogue, poor pacing, undeveloped characters, an annoying female lead nad for the most part (save for Zod himself) uncomplelling villains and plot. Also, Clark loses all respect when he gives up his powers. Basically saying his powers define him, something I disagree with and Raimi did not stoop to.

BTW nice vid, but Cider House Rules is very different than Spidey. Watch Pleasentville, Cider House Rules, Wonder Boys, Seabiscuit and then SM3 and you'll see a much larger and more talented range.

Overall I think both Raimi and Maguire are more talented, though Donner in his prime was quite good. And I think SM2 is an overall all around movie. And I still haven't seen a convincing argument for why SII is better other than it came out first and is about Superman. It is just an inferior movie in almost ever yaspect (save perhaps score).

Oh well.

It doesn't matter what I say. This is the former spider-man hype. put up spidey against anything and I think it's perfectly safe to assume how the results would be.

but if you want someone to explain everything to you ok...

I like the donner cut more because Superman doesn't have a ridiculous cake scene, isn't too cheesy, has great dialogue, Kneeeeeeeeeeeeel before zod!11, doesn't have a bunch of incredibly over-done "woe is me" moments, no punch me I bleed, no identity being revealed every day, it's a billion times better acted (molina is excellent however and the only actor who rivals the likes of stamp, reeve, brando but let's not get out of sorts.), is the shadow of a classic film we'll never see but still tops raimi's cheese burger, doesn't have some line from some guy "wooooooooooooohhh he stole that guyz pizzzaaaaaahhh!11"

Seriously let's take a moment and look at the Pizzah guy.

We're to assume a few things from this. Peter was spotted changing into spidey. That guy who saw him is really not the brightest bulb. As a new yorker and movie goer I'm a bit offended. And it's just a bad joke that I didn't care for.

Moving on.
, has a more serious tone and more interesting villain plot than the incredible evil sun ball thing that'll quite easily be defeated by water, the chem between reeve n kidder must melt your heart... superman's mom isn't his sidekick in battle... god there's so much. Just believe me will you...

Spider-Man 2 is the better movie. I loved the new Superman II. The Jor-El scenes are magnificant, Christopher Reeve was fantastic again, and Zod is even cooler. However, I think Spider-Man 2 takes a similar story, and does a better job with it.

superman 2 donner cut wipes the floor with spiderman 2

i did everything spiderman 2 has, better and more seriously and did it more than 2 decades previously, there is simply no match for the superior donner cut.

and dont forget
the movie was made in the 1970's, no cgi and had great actors like reeve,stamp and brando.

Zod would absolutely kill Spiderman.

If they did a remake of superman 2 with today's technology it would probably make people cream their pants, it would probably own everything on this planet

spiderman 2 is good, and i love the movies and love raimi's style

but you just can't compare the two,

superman 2 donner cut is unbeatable,

without superman 1 and 2 there would have been no batman or spiderman, come to think of it, there wouldn't have been any decent comic book movies

we have richard donner a LOT to thank for

my word, the scenes between Reeve and Brando are nothing short of amazing,

comparing reeve and brando to maguire and dunst is a joke

reeve and brando are legends

yes, spiderman 2 is good, but superman 2 and superman 2 donner cut are on another level to any other comic book movie,

the donner cut is superior because donner is a genius

also, even the lester cut of superman 2 is superior

but donner cut rules because there is no camp like lesters cut and also there is no camp like in spiderman 2.

indeed, Zod is the best comic book vilian come to life

and reeve is the best superhero ever on screen

yes dont forget, donner had to deal with the salkinds, was simultaneously shooting both superman and superman 2 at the same time!

raimi is a very lucky man for being able to make he wanted.

had richard donner had the same freedom, the superman movies would be even better! an important thing to remember

superman 2 donner cut is the father of all movies

I can't believe people are calling other movies campy, and still love a movie that ends with the main character spinning the earth backwards to make time go back :p It's just plain silly

Spider-Man 2 because its a finished movie. If Donner had been able to complete SII than I think SII would be better.

superman 2 lester cut has campy moments and thats because richard lester loved camp,

look at superman 3, full of camp,

richard donner didnt use camp.
he used good humour.

spiderman 2 used some campyness in it, but not that much

superman 2 donner cut has no camp, it has been fixed by donner to his original vision

had he finished it originally, it would have been unbeatable

Lester liked camp right, and there´s even an explanation from Tom Mankiewicz: the Salkinds hired him basically cuz they owned him money and them and Donner were at each other´s throats through all the making of Superman The Movie. Mankiewicz remnds that the problem is, Lester didn´t believe, he was a talented but cynical guy, to make this work you needed someone who believed, who held the mythos at heart.

If you have the hero reverse time at the very end to put everything the way it was at the beginning to avoid conflict it's simply a stupid movie and a waste of time...period. How are the characters supposed to grow like that?

Also, Donner completely betrays the whole conflict of Superman keeping his powers or being human by having him sleep with Lois first before making the decision. It makes no sense. It gives him no reason whatsoever to give up his powers other than he's STUPID.

Those 2 things absolutely cripple Superman II no matter what kind of excuses you make for it.

DACrowe said:
Um, it isn't that Reeve is Da Vinci. Da Vinci was a genius in every field he went into. Whether it be design, painting, whatever. From The Last Supper, to the split man to yes Mona Lisa.

Bit parts in Noises Off, a poor remake of Rear Window for TV and a remake of Children of the Corn is not exactly up there with what Da Vinci did. Or Maguire for that matter.

You're overlooking the fact that he was a stage actor first and foremost. And yeah, he didn't get great roles after Superman, obviously, he was typecast.

I haven't seen Donner's cut yet because I'm saving up to buy the entire 5 movie set.

SMII hands down.

Ugh...are there really people claiming SM3 is a rip off of Superman whatever?? Dear lord, give it a rest. You can look at any superhero movie and find elements in each that mirror each other. You should be more upset that Superman Returns was a rip off of Superman I. :whatever:

Matt said:
He's right. Name one notable role or good performance Reeve did outside Superman. Can't, can you?

Sure can, little Matty. Ever heard of a movie called Somewhere in Time? Besides, your idea that an actor can only be good if he's been in many movies (like Maguire I guess? LOL!) is completely stupid.

Maguire is a more versatile actor, he has more depth, he is all around better. It is like comparing Brendon Fraiser (Reeve) to Ian McKellan. Sure, Fraiser can be good if the role suits him but McKellan can make any role suit him and be damn good in it.

Laughable retort. Really, you should be ashamed of that crap you just tried to pass off as smart.

Besides, I still maintain, Reeve would not be held in such high regard were it not for his accident.

Or maybe his dedication to finding cures for people with similiar disabilities?

SolidSnakeMGS said:
Sure can, little Matty. Ever heard of a movie called Somewhere in Time? Besides, your idea that an actor can only be good if he's been in many movies (like Maguire I guess? LOL!) is completely stupid.

Somewhere in Time? A critical and financial bomb in which critics panned Reeve's performance? Great example. The point isn't quanity, its quality. Maguire has always been well recieved and praised by audiences and critics alike, time and time again.

Laughable retort. Really, you should be ashamed of that crap you just tried to pass off as smart.

And yet for such a stupid argument you are unable to present any counter so you resort to name calling.

Or maybe his dedication to finding cures for people with similiar disabilities?

You know damn well we are talking about acting, so lets leave that out, mmk? Oh, and by saying that you pretty much have proven my point.

Kevin Roegele said:
You're overlooking the fact that he was a stage actor first and foremost. And yeah, he didn't get great roles after Superman, obviously, he was typecast.

To be fair though, his stage career wasn't exactly a sensation and arguably just as disappointing as his film career.

Darthphere said:
Matt hates Christopher Reeve. :csad:

No, I just think his acting career is completely unremarkable and he is held in such high regard because he is a tragic figure. I feel the same way about Kurt Cobain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"