World Superman Lives!

That was brilliant, the end with Batman was awesome "I'm Batman" :oldrazz:

Nicolas Cage Talks SUPERMAN LIVES; Thinks It Would Have Been "Really Special"

Nicolas Cage gained comic book fame as the lead character in two Ghost Rider films, but the actor actually came close to portraying the Man of Steel in the never-produced film "Superman Lives." With a script by Kevin Smith and visionary director Tim Burton behind the camera, the film was set to show the world a decidedly different take on the iconic character. The lost Superman film would have been released a decade before Bryan Singer's "Superman Returns" and almost a decade after Burton's game-changing first "Batman" film.

Cage spoke with MTV News about the lost Superman epic and about the Kickstarter campaign to further examine "Superman Lives."

"The fact that Tim and I were pretty far down the road designing ["Superman Lives"], and I know that with Tim and where I was going to go, we would have done something really special," recalls Cage. "At least it's out there in the ether that that could have happened, but we don't have to make the movie. It's still interesting to people."

Interesting could be considered something of an understatement. The Cage/Burton collaboration has become a hot topic again thanks to a wildly successful Kickstarter campaign. The campaign to fund a documentary about "Superman Lives" overshot its goal by over $17,000, proving that people are clamoring to know what went wrong with the production. Cage admits that he has heard about the documentary, called "The Death of 'Superman Lives': What Happened?" "It sounds fascinating...It's a good idea."

Cage hasn't lost any affection for the character, despite never getting to don the blue and red tights himself. "I do think that I had the win-win situation, because that character is such a bullseye that you have to hit. He's one of the most precious icons of our country."

Thanks to Splash Page legend Josh Wigler for conducting the interview and asking all the right questions.

Source: http://splashpage.mtv.com/2013/03/19/nicolas-cage-superman-lives-kickstarter-doc/

Hope that they get to speak to Nic for the doc

you_will_believe_a_cage_can_fly_by_darthterry-d5yq5u4.jpg

Well, that's not a flattering depiction of Nic Cage.

Here ya go.
nicholascage.jpg

nicolascagebyjumangekad.jpg

nicolascageportraitbydi.jpg

imgsx.jpg

Awesome, really can't wait for the doc

May 28th on twitter Jon Schnepp said ‏"Getting ready for Philly WizardWorld, screening the Grimm Animated Pilot, shooting "Superman" Doc footage, selling my merch! Come say hi!"
https://twitter.com/JonSchnepp

Loads of great and very interesting information. Thanks theMan-Bat.

I have been always interested in what Burton's take on Superman would have been. After so many rumors and denials.

This movie obviously would've been quirky, peculiar and unique visually (it is Tim Burton after all, that is the extent of his depths as a film maker)

But this movie surely would've been a disaster on scale with the Superman II, Superman III, Superman IV, Batman Returns, Batman Forever, Batman and Robin of the world.

Kevin Smith clowned this movie, and he worked on the damn script. That tells you all you need to know. A known big name actor as Superman? Especially one as odd and off beat as Nic Cage? Stupid decision.

Last edited:
Superman II, Batman Returns and Batman Forever were not disasters. They were all financially successfully and all of those films had and still have many fans.

They were not using Kevin Smith's scripts.

I'll take odd and off beat over dull and bland any day.

Superman II, Batman Returns and Batman Forever were not disasters. They were all financially successfully and all of those films had and still have many fans.
Financially successful doesn't equate to quality, and you're more than intelligent enough to realize that. Each one of those films weren't as successful as their predecessor (aside from BF being more marketable to families thus the financial success) ...

Superman II was ruined with the replacement of Donner and then adding even more cheese and tongue in cheek-ness than what was already dating aspects of the '78 film. Batman Returns was obviously a very alienating film among the fan base. And it didn't have the commercial appeal of it's predecessor.

theMan-Bat said:
I'll take odd and off beat over dull and bland any day.
Over a confused bland mess such as say ... Superman Returns? Completely agree. Seeing Nic Cage as Superman would've made me laugh like no other. It probably would've ended up being a giant un-intentional comedy.

It still most likely would've failed as a film though in terms of quality. Seems like from leadership down the focus of the movie was still in the wrong place, as it was ALL the WB films post Batman '89. The focus wasn't on the material, the source, or being a quality film. The focus of the studio and producers was their business ties with toy companies and other merchandising venues.

Superman Lives was no different. Just look at all the unused toy concept art that was being designed before the finalized film aesthetics were. It was influencing the design process. Which is terrible. It should be the other way around, when the look for the film is finished then the merchandising companies get the blueprints to make their products.

This movie obviously would've been quirky, peculiar and unique visually (it is Tim Burton after all, that is the extent of his depths as a film maker)

Burton at the time was very good at depicting alienated characters and I mean beyond the visuals alone.

But this movie surely would've been a disaster on scale with the Superman II, Superman III, Superman IV, Batman Returns, Batman Forever, Batman and Robin of the world.

Superman II, Batman Returns, B. Forever were disasters? I wasn't aware. Nor did I know that they were in the same bag as B&R, SIII and SIV.

Kevin Smith clowned this movie, and he worked on the damn script. That tells you all you need to know.

Kevin Smith clowning about this just tells me he was spitting sour grapes as he had fired from the project after all he wanted to work in it.

A known big name actor as Superman? Especially one as odd and off beat as Nic Cage? Stupid decision.

Yeah, what's exactly wrong with a big name as Superman?

And I know Nic Cage doesn't scream Superman to anyone. just like Michael Keaton didn't scream Batman. Not saying it's the same case, but without seeing the movie it's easier (although it should be harder) to pass judgement.

Last edited:
Financially successful doesn't equate to quality, and you're more than intelligent enough to realize that.

Opinions of quality do not equate facts. That comes down to individual preferences, types, tastes. What you consider quality, awesome, appealing, exciting, interesting, relatable, funny, sexy, scary or emotionally moving isn't necessarily the same as what I respond to in those ways.

Each one of those films weren't as successful as their predecessor (aside from BF being more marketable to families thus the financial success) ...

That doesn't make them disasters.

Superman II was ruined with the replacement of Donner and then adding even more cheese and tongue in cheek-ness than what was already dating aspects of the '78 film.

Your opinions and preferences aside, Superman II was financially successful and still has it's fans, which doesn't equate a disaster.

Batman Returns was obviously a very alienating film among the fan base. And it didn't have the commercial appeal of it's predecessor.

That doesn't make it a disaster.

It still most likely would've failed as a film though in terms of quality. Seems like from leadership down the focus of the movie was still in the wrong place, as it was ALL the WB films post Batman '89. The focus wasn't on the material, the source, or being a quality film. The focus of the studio and producers was their business ties with toy companies and other merchandising venues.

Superman Lives was no different. Just look at all the unused toy concept art that was being designed before the finalized film aesthetics were. It was influencing the design process. Which is terrible. It should be the other way around, when the look for the film is finished then the merchandising companies get the blueprints to make their products.

If they would have let Tim Burton direct the film as he wanted then the focus would have been on story and art, and wouldn't have been on soullessly promoting toy sales and happy meals.

Last edited:
Clear as day, theMan-Bat would defend a Burton Superman and somehow claim that it's true to the original character created by Siegel and Shuster...

Come on fellas lets forget all the back and forth.

I want to know whats happening with the Superman Lives documentary

The two interviews that I want to see the most are Tim Burton and Nicolas Cage. Here's hoping he can get them. They're obviously the two most important to have.

The two interviews that I want to see the most are Tim Burton and Nicolas Cage. Here's hoping he can get them. They're obviously the two most important to have.

Yeah definitely I think without them it would be pretty pointless and I think he'll definitely get Burton as he sounded really interested in it.

This is vaguely related by any of you hear about Mark Millar's treatment he proposed a few years ago about an epic trilogy detailing the birth and death of superman? Sounds very interesting but probably would have never been made.

Millar’s story is, without a doubt, epic in scale. To just hear a snippet of the scope reveals that. “I want to start on Krypton, a thousand years ago,” Millar said, “and end with Superman alone on Planet Earth, the last being left on the planet, as the yellow sun turns red and starts to supernova, and he loses his powers.” - See more at: http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/ne...upermans-magnum-opus.php#sthash.fhSACSrK.dpuf

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/news/mark-millar-set-to-pitch-supermans-magnum-opus.php

This is vaguely related by any of you hear about Mark Millar's treatment he proposed a few years ago about an epic trilogy detailing the birth and death of superman? Sounds very interesting but probably would have never been made.

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/news/mark-millar-set-to-pitch-supermans-magnum-opus.php

I remember that. I would've killed to see that.

But they turned him down, and now he's Fox's Shared Universe guy (whether he actually does anything noteworthy though...), actively schilling them and recently (and foolishly) claiming DC's stable was 'outdated'. After they turned him down, he mentioned he'd love to adapt his trilogy into a series of thick OGN's. I guess that won't happen now, unfortunately.

Maybe someday he'll get to do that would certainly be interesting, regardless of what he's said about DC time heals all wounds and so does success.

I just saw these pictures.

Superman-Lives-Nicolas-Cage-in-costume1_zps6dc83c79.jpeg

Superman-Lives-Nicolas-Cage-in-costume1_zps6dc83c79.jpeg.html

link: http://spinoff.comicbookresources.c...photo-reveals-new-look-at-nicolas-cages-suit/

I know you had talked about this but I have to say it:

I insisted so much when those pictures of Cage's head over a plastic toy were released that that and the early sketches weren't exactly what Superman was going to look in Superman Lives. But no, pretty much everyone bought and swallowed those fake pics at straight away.

It was obvious. Tim Burton would make a Superman suit the way he invented it and left to posterity: dark suit with muscles and a long cape.

That said, am I seeing the MOS's bracelets there?

Personally I love what we got in MOS. But I love this suit too.

Great suit, people.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"