Superman Returns vs. Batman Returns

SirThomasSharpe

Civilian
Reaction score
Which "return" triumphs over the other? 2006's nostalgic Superman Returns, or 1992's gothic Batman Returns?

Superman Returns doesn't have any characters half as entertaining as Penguin as Catwoman. BR wins this.

I dislike both of these movies for minimizing the hero but Michael Keaton was arguably the best Batman and Brandon Routh was easily the worst Superman, so BR wins this for me.

Don't like either film, but I guess I'll go with Batman.

Batman Returns easily. As I've said before, Psycho Batman is far better than Stalker Superman.

BR is one of my favorite movies, CBM or otherwise, because they really get how screwed up the Batman universe would be and how dark that world is.

Look at the civilians, they're nuts. They live in a city where the architecture is bizarre art deco that makes no frigging sense with streets that all seem to be barely two lanes wide. This is for a city that's supposed to be another Manhattan. The citizens bring vegetables to throw at a mayoral candidate they made signs show their support for and turn on him in less than a minute once a voice clip comes on the speakers which he is obviously not saying at the time and could have been faked.

Batman flat out murders various people with a psycho smile on his face, sets a few on fire, uses explosives to kill one and throws Catwoman off a roof. They show that the longest relationship he has is with one woman and it lasted a few months at best. His only friend is his father figure that has been with him since he was a kid and he's such a recluse even the reporters at the party he threw in the first movie don't know what he looks like.

All of that and the fact that it's a movie where no one wins and everyone loses just makes it a really interesting movie to watch. Besides they have an all-star cast of Michael Keaton, Danny DeVito, Michelle Pfeiffer and Christopher Walken.

Superman is just kind of boring in general to me. I mean he gets to save a plane in the middle of the movie and not a lot happens until he gets stabbed, beaten by thugs then kicked off a cliff. As hilarious it was to watch that, it made no flipping sense. How can the guy not recognize kryptonite when he's been exposed before? Since he got so weak so fast how can he carry the island into space when he couldn't fly off the cliff a few minutes earlier?

Batman Returned is art.

Superman Returns is a hack job.

Class dismissed.

Yeah, good enough review. :p

Batman Returns obviously.

Michelle Pfeiffer's Catwoman is one of the best CBM performances ever.

Batman Returns easily. As I've said before, Psycho Batman is far better than Stalker Superman.

BR is one of my favorite movies, CBM or otherwise, because they really get how screwed up the Batman universe would be and how dark that world is.

Look at the civilians, they're nuts. They live in a city where the architecture is bizarre art deco that makes no frigging sense with streets that all seem to be barely two lanes wide. This is for a city that's supposed to be another Manhattan. The citizens bring vegetables to throw at a mayoral candidate they made signs show their support for and turn on him in less than a minute once a voice clip comes on the speakers which he is obviously not saying at the time and could have been faked.

Batman flat out murders various people with a psycho smile on his face, sets a few on fire, uses explosives to kill one and throws Catwoman off a roof. They show that the longest relationship he has is with one woman and it lasted a few months at best. His only friend is his father figure that has been with him since he was a kid and he's such a recluse even the reporters at the party he threw in the first movie don't know what he looks like.

All of that and the fact that it's a movie where no one wins and everyone loses just makes it a really interesting movie to watch. Besides they have an all-star cast of Michael Keaton, Danny DeVito, Michelle Pfeiffer and Christopher Walken.

Superman is just kind of boring in general to me. I mean he gets to save a plane in the middle of the movie and not a lot happens until he gets stabbed, beaten by thugs then kicked off a cliff. As hilarious it was to watch that, it made no flipping sense. How can the guy not recognize kryptonite when he's been exposed before? Since he got so weak so fast how can he carry the island into space when he couldn't fly off the cliff a few minutes earlier?

Dude, one million per cent agree on all of that !

Both are fine. Have a very great day everyone!

God bless everyone!

It disturbs me to see that as a community we're quickly slamming the doors shut on artistic freedom and re-interpretations. At least as far as films go. Many fans have turned their backs on Tim Burton, and that just makes me sad.

Batman has successfully evolved and survived through being re-imagined so many different ways, and to cherry-pick what you like and call the rest illegitimate is dishonest behavior. Personal preferences are fine so long as you don't pretend they're the gospel.

It's funny to see so much 'Batman doesn't kill, so the BvS version was an insult and a betrayal to the character', and yet an equal amount of 'Keaton, who also kills, is the best Batman'. :p

But I digress... The point is: Tim Burton really rocked.

Batman Returns was it's own thing, and I liked the new, unusual spins on the characters. I don't hate Superman Returns, but BR's easily the better film.

Last edited:
It disturbs me to see that as a community we're quickly slamming the doors shut on artistic freedom and re-interpretations. At least as far as films go. Many fans have turned their backs on Tim Burton, and that just makes me sad.

Batman has successfully evolved and survived through being re-imagined so many different ways, and to cherry-pick what you like and call the rest illegitimate is dishonest behavior. Personal preferences are fine so long as you don't pretend they're the gospel.

It's funny to see so much 'Batman doesn't kill, so the BvS version was an insult and a betrayal to the character', and yet an equal amount of 'Keaton, who also kills, is the best Batman'. :p

But I digress... The point is: Tim Burton really rocked.

Batman Returns was it's own thing, and I liked the new, unusual spins on the characters. I don't hate Superman Returns, but BR's easily the better film.
The difference is that people were much younger when Burtons movies came out, so there's a nostalgic feeling about that era. I was 4 years old when I saw Batman Returns. I loved it. Of course I'm going to pick that movie over a Superman movie I never bothered to watch in the cinema. I'm 27, and I saw Batman v Superman with a brain that knows more about life, filmmaking and Batman. Batman Returns is not a good movie, and I still think Keaton's version is not really Batman just like Affleck's is not really Batman. But I can enjoy a lot from Burton's sequel.

Most people who praise Keaton...it's because of the performance as Batman. They're not necessarily praising the characterization. Same with the Bale vs Keaton arguments.

Superman Returns features better actors for Superman and Lex that their DCEU counterparts but it's also very boring

BR on the other hand is one of my favorite movies ever, so...

Batman Returns definitely. It can be mostly nostalgia for me but I can still put it on and have a good time watching it.

Hmm... I actually really like both. Leaning toward BR, though.

Batman Returns is more artistic and stylized. Superman Returns has a bit more heart than BR though.

It's a tie for me.

The difference is that people were much younger when Burtons movies came out, so there's a nostalgic feeling about that era. I was 4 years old when I saw Batman Returns. I loved it. Of course I'm going to pick that movie over a Superman movie I never bothered to watch in the cinema. I'm 27, and I saw Batman v Superman with a brain that knows more about life, filmmaking and Batman. Batman Returns is not a good movie, and I still think Keaton's version is not really Batman just like Affleck's is not really Batman. But I can enjoy a lot from Burton's sequel.

Most people who praise Keaton...it's because of the performance as Batman. They're not necessarily praising the characterization. Same with the Bale vs Keaton arguments.

Respect your opinion, but for me the difference has nothing to do with youth or nostalgia. I rewatched Batman Returns recently (saw it first when I was 21) and it was still better than Superman Returns - which is damn boring, no matter when you watch it.

Now Batman Returns isn't as good as Batman '89 or any of the Nolan films (although it's better than Batman Forever, and do I really need to talk about Batman and Robin). Still, it's entertaining and a pretty decent entry into the Batman film library.

But that's just me.

Batman Returns is more artistic and stylized. Superman Returns has a bit more heart than BR though.

It's a tie for me.
Yeah, I agree with this. I tipped in favour of SR though as I watched it again recently and thematically it really works and looks glorious. BR is fairly hollow in comparison.

They're about on equal footing for me (in that I'm not particularly fond of either), but SR has no awesome performance rivaling Michelle Pfeiffer's as Catwoman, so I'd have to give BR the edge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"