World Superman vs. Hollywood

This book was just recently released this month. I was in Borders and decided to make the purchase. It chronicles every Superman film, television show, and serial, from the ones that were made to the ones that were also abandoned. So far I have read the chapters on Dick Donner's Superman films as well as Bryan Singer's Superman Returns. A very great read so far and I advise it to all who are big fans. :up:

I just got it, and I can't put it down - and that's an accomplishment since I don't think I've read an actual 90%-text book, from beginning to end, in years.

I wish they'd put more pictures in it, though - specifically of all the half-baked ideas they came up with to revive the live-action Superman franchise during the dark times, like after George Reeves' death (Superpup, for one) and some of those weird-@$$ concept drawings for Superman that Peters liked so much - just to better show readers how utterly f***ed up Hollywood has been in trying to keep the Superman property alive.

Wizard did a little article on it, there is also mentioned that when Superman The Movie was first released on home video that the film was sped up to accommodate the limits of VHS back in the day, is that true does anybody have an early tape?

just finished it.Good read.Some interesting stuff even for the well informed.

Two thumbs up.

From Word Balloon:
A Super Talk With Marty Pasko
john siuntres said:
Marty Pasko joins us as he returns to Metropolis writing the 70’s DC Retroactive issue of Superman, drawn by Eduardo Barreto . We talk about the still amazing world of Superman. We ‘ll discuss the career of the late Jackie Cooper who played Perry White in the first 4 modern Superman films . Despite a good working relationship with Cooper on Simon & Simon in the 80’s Pasko confesses he wasn’t crazy about the casting of Cooper as Perry. Marty also describes the editorial philosophy of Julie Schwartz, and goes into interesting detail about how DC’s Silver and Bronze age books were written .

You’ll get insights into the cast of the 50’s Adventures Of Superman, Superman regulars like Mike Carlin, and Cary Bates We also discuss the way DC and Warner Bros interacted in the 90’s , because Marty had the job as liason between the divisions of Warner Film TV and animation with DC.

I love this book, but haven't read it in quite a while. The whole idiocy surrounding Kevin Smith and Jon Peters with "Superman Reborn" was hilarious.

I love this book, but haven't read it in quite a while. The whole idiocy surrounding Kevin Smith and Jon Peters with "Superman Reborn" was hilarious.

I personally don't believe that that the Superman movie would have been good even if Smith was given free reign without Peters' BS. Smith's film writing is evidence that his Superman film would have been crap!

Last edited:
I personally don't believe that that the Superman movie would have been good even if Smith was given free reign without Peters' BS. Smith's film writing is evidence that his Superman film would have been crap!
I don't think so. Kevin did write the "Guardian Devil" comic for Marvel, and the director's cut of the 2003 film (partially based on Kevin's story) was awesome.

I'm no fan of Kevin's attempts at "comedy", but he's a good storyteller most of the time. I listened to a 3-hour discussion he had with Mark Hamill last year, and was amazed how little either one of them mentioned "Star Wars".

I don't think so. Kevin did write the "Guardian Devil" comic for Marvel, and the director's cut of the 2003 film (partially based on Kevin's story) was awesome.

I'm no fan of Kevin's attempts at "comedy", but he's a good storyteller most of the time. I listened to a 3-hour discussion he had with Mark Hamill last year, and was amazed how little either one of them mentioned "Star Wars".

Well yeah, I guess if his comics work is any indication. I own his Green Arrow, Daredevil and the Cacophany book as well. His comedy (for the most part) is not my taste, though I liked Dogma, Mall Rats and Chasing Amy.

I just picture him writing Lois and Clark's relationship really bad.

It would be nice if his Superman script COULD BE turned into a graphic novel as I've never read the Smith script.

It would be nice if his Superman script COULD BE turned into a graphic novel as I've never read the Smith script.
I haven't read it either, but Kevin stressed it wasn't very good, mostly because of producer Jon Peters' interference. Here's the full speech; its a riot except for the language.

[YT]hUwkqeI7XWk[/YT]

Yeah, I've seen it. I love the concept art released for the film, but am so glad that we didn't get the movie. Superman Returns had the right tone,the right production design and maybe the right actors, but the story and the script WERE UTTER CAT-DUNG!

Singer just leaned on the Donner era far too much...and while I think Brandon Routh was okay, he looked way too young for Superman. Kevin Spacey was great as Lex, and Kate Bosworth's version of Lois reminded me of Erica Durance on "Smallville". Frank Langella was far too gentle as Perry, and Sam Huntington's performance just annoyed me after a while. I actually liked James Marsden as Richard White, even though it resulted in Cyclops being killed off for "X3". I also liked the idea of Superman having a kid, but the history Singer created for the film was too vague.

On the whole, "Returns" was far too dependent on what had come before; that's what I meant by "a lack of originality". It's still light-years ahead of "Superman III", though.

Singer just leaned on the Donner era far too much...and while I think Brandon Routh was okay, he looked way too young for Superman. Kevin Spacey was great as Lex, and Kate Bosworth's version of Lois reminded me of Erica Durance on "Smallville". Frank Langella was far too gentle as Perry, and Sam Huntington's performance just annoyed me after a while. I actually liked James Marsden as Richard White, even though it resulted in Cyclops being killed off for "X3". I also liked the idea of Superman having a kid, but the history Singer created for the film was too vague.

On the whole, "Returns" was far too dependent on what had come before; that's what I meant by "a lack of originality". It's still light-years ahead of "Superman III", though.

I agree with this almost completely. Routh was fine, IMO but Bosworth was nowhere near as tenacious or charming enough to be Lois. Langella has nothing on LANE SMITH! Spacey was nowhere near as evil as I know he can be on film. Should have had a better characterization. The rest of the cast did great!

Lane Smith will always be Coach Jack Riley to me, first and foremost. "The Mighty Ducks" was the first film I ever saw him in; I also loved his role in "My Cousin Vinny".

I agree with some of your points.

Everything seemed "watered down", including the muted colors, brownish tint, cloudy skies, gentle Perry, depressed Lois, not happy Superman, to dull Lex Luthor, who seemed a shadow of Gene Hackman.

Instead of ramping up the original elements of Donner movies, Singer toned them down, which resulted in a Superman movie that was not energetic enough.

I still believe that same cast members could have given even better performances, they were held back by director and story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"