Supernatural: Tribes - The CW Trying Out SPN Spinoff

Sawyer

Definitely Not 40
Reaction score
http://www.deadline.com/2013/07/supernatural-planted-spinoff-episode-next-spring/
‘Supernatural’ Planted Spinoff A Go As Episode Next Spring, To Explore Clash Of Hunter & Monster Cultures In Chicago
By NELLIE ANDREEVA

The long-gestating spinoff from veteran CW drama Supernatural is moving forward as a backdoor pilot to air as an episode of Supernatural‘s upcoming ninth season. To be written by Supernatural supervising producer Andrew Dabb, the planted spinoff, in early stages of development, won’t be as nomadic as the mothership series, which takes place in a different town every week. It will explore the clashing hunter and monster cultures of Chicago.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/07/30/supernatural-spin-off/
'Supernatural' bosses give scoop on spin-off: 'It's much more of an ensemble show'
By Sandra Gonzalez on Jul 30, 2013 at 10:32AM

Let’s just call this one Season Nine, Time for a Spin-off!

But as buzz continued to build about Supernatural’s upcoming spin-off executive producers Jeremy Carver and Robert Singer yesterday shared with EW some new info about the spin-off, which is currently scheduled to be introduced to viewers in episode 20 of the upcoming new season.

In the Chicago-set episode, Carver said we’ll be introduced to a show that would, if picked up by the network, “explore the clashing monster and human characters” living in the city. In fact, he said, “we’ll have main characters who are both human and monsters.” That will include, added Singer, “families of monsters and families of hunters.” “It’s much more of an ensemble than Supernatural,” Singer said.

Starting with a fresh slate of characters, Singer explained, felt like a non-traditional approach to a spin-off that also left room for Sam (Jared Padalecki) and Dean (Jensen Ackles) to introduce viewers into the world. “Most spin-offs, you spin characters out and create a show about them. Jared and Jensen will be in the spin-off, but it’s an entirely different cast of characters,” Singer said. “And unlike Supernatural – which is a road show — this will take place in one place with a wider cast of characters.”

And while news of the in-the-works Supernatural spin-off may have caught some fans of the long-running series by surprise, Carver said he had a feeling it would eventually become a topic of discussion. “I think any time a show goes this long — unless you’re Chicago Fire [which got a spin-off after one season] — then you’re always in the back of your mind going to be thinking the what-if scenario,” he said.

“It’s going to be quite a departure — the same world but from a whole new perspective,” Carver added.

Meanwhile, CW president Mark Pedowitz said on Tuesday morning that the spin-off is in no way an indication of an upcoming end-date for the mother series. “As long as they keep telling great stories and Jared and Jensen still want to do it, why wouldn’t you continue?” he said.

http://tvline.com/2014/01/29/supernatural-tribes-spinoff-the-cw-cast/
Additionally, The CW in-the-works Supernatural spin-off will be called Supernatural: Tribes. The offshoot, which will air as a regular episode of Supernatural this spring, will explore the clashing hunter and monster cultures of Chicago.
I hope this is something they can stick the landing with.

Sounds good though the title is a bit weak.

Yeah, I'm not crazy about it, but it's not too bad. At least it's not like... Supernatural: Chicago.

I was hoping it was going to star an already existing character from the show. It's going to be silly to introduce a new character near the end of the season and expect people to instantly like him enough to jump to the spinoff.

Worked for CSI: Miami and NY. :o

Or basically any new show that isn't a spinoff of something...

Not thrilled about the title but everything else sounds interesting. They could have done a spin-off based around Krissy Chambers and her group.

Considering Supernatural kills off majority of its supporting characters there really isnt anyone who could headline a spin off. I just hope that some of these characters are female since that is probably Supernaturals weakest point.

They better cast a hell of an actor if this character is getting his own show

It's gonna be Pauly Shore and you're going to ****ing deal with it. :ninja:

Pauly Shore! Hell no, they are casting Snookie!

They will just cast The Mindy Project cast after that show gets cancelled

Stop ****-stirring, Donut.

I was hoping it was going to star an already existing character from the show. It's going to be silly to introduce a new character near the end of the season and expect people to instantly like him enough to jump to the spinoff.

The Only star I could've saw that doing with was Garth or maybe Crowley.

I hope that this show doesn't turn into a family drama where everything is about personal relationships and who is sleeping with who.

Supernatural does have a lot of drama at times but it has also managed to keep it's focus on hunting and most episodes have the brothers either dealing with a monster of the week or trying to stop something big and bad from happening while the drama plays in the background.

Hopefully we get an episode with the leads hunting Chief Keef.

The show sounds good, but the title is not appealing.

Sounds meh, was much more excited for the proposed Colt spin-off :(

Three reasons I'm interested in the possibilities here, and how they differ from the main series:

1. Ensemble cast. For as long as Supernatural has been on, we've only had two constants: Sam and Dean. All of the supporting castmembers, whether they be allies or adversaries, merely weave in and out of the story for a handful of episodes per season until they inevitably die. I'm intrigued to see what they could do with a larger number of players on the board.

2. One continuous location. We're so used to the action moving from place to place, and that lends itself to Supernatural almost being a procedural of sorts. Sure, there's the underlying story of the season being weaved throughout it all, but for the most part, week-to-week, there's a case, the Winchesters seek it out, the case is solved, and they move on... what will happen when stuck in one location? What will it do to the storytelling? More serialized and less episodic, perhaps? We'll see...

3. Back to basics. If the show is truly hunters vs. monsters in Chicago, it stands to reason that the show could be much more grounded in approach, like SPN was in the early days. The characters may well have no knowledge of the grand mythology that SPN has built up over the years. No tablets, no Angels, no God, etc. Their perception of demons may even be more limited than what we're used to. In doing so, the show could greater explore the world of monster hunting and the culture of the monsters themselves.

The title sounds like a season of Survivor. I haven't been watching Supernatural since season 7. I've meaning to catch up on season 8 on Netflix but I always put it off and I'm not exactly in a rush to see the episodes. The show has been okay but not great since season 5. I miss Kripke running things. Seasons 1-5 were fantastic, IMO.

Don't judge seasons 8 and 9 by what seasons 6 and 7 did. They got their **** together like crazy with Jeremy Carver as showrunner.

Would you say it is back to seasons 1-5 quality? I mean I will get around to watching it eventually...

In terms of the overall arc of the seasons, absolutely. I mean, I didn't really mind the overall storyarc for season 6, even if there were alot of elements in play, but season 7 was just a turd in terms of what they did with the Leviathans. Since Carver came back, he really realizes that there's no turning back from the Angel mythology they had going and I think the show is all the better for it.

The title sounds like a season of Survivor. I haven't been watching Supernatural since season 7. I've meaning to catch up on season 8 on Netflix but I always put it off and I'm not exactly in a rush to see the episodes. The show has been okay but not great since season 5. I miss Kripke running things. Seasons 1-5 were fantastic, IMO.

Seasons 8 and 9 have been a return to form imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"