Supernatural: Tribes - The CW Trying Out SPN Spinoff

**** YES!

That was such a waste of an episode introducing a couple of *****ey characters.

I don't know what they were thinking. If you're going to do a spinoff, you use already established characters that the fans like, you know, so your spinoff might stand a chance.

**** YES!

That was such a waste of an episode introducing a couple of *****ey characters.

I don't know what they were thinking. If you're going to do a spinoff, you use already established characters that the fans like, you know, so your spinoff might stand a chance.

For the most part, I agree, but CSI: Miami and NY say hi. :o

For the most part, I agree, but CSI: Miami and NY say hi. :o

I don't see them as being comparable. Mainly because people seem to be obsessed with their crime shows and they apparently, looking at how many there are, follow more than one of them. The ratings are good/great enough to keep them going for all these years. Whether it's CSI or Law & Order(which also has a number of versions).

Supernatural is a specific kind of audience. It's like comparing the general audience(who make up the majority)to hardcore comic fans going to see a superhero film and wondering which group is going to contribute the most to the BO. In this case it's ratings.

Then you have to take into account, out of all the built in Supernatural fans, how many of them didn't give two ****s about the spinoff because those characters were lame. Judging from twitter reactions and on other message boards, I think it was safe to say that even if the show got picked up for a season, it wouldn't have made it to a season 2.

Supernatural is definitely not a CSI/NCIS/L&W type series. I think it could have a spin off but this one wasn't it. The idea started off sounding good but the more details we got the less interesting it became culminating in seeing the backdoor pilot bombing hard.

If it had been kept to another set of hunters in Chicago, or followed one or two families of monsters or even a random story of the week (sort of an anthology where we see a new cast and story in the universe) it might have worked. But put together it like it was I didn't like it.

Glad this is getting a swift kick in the ass.

Melrose Place did the same thing. I think Grant was in like 2-3 episodes of BH90210 before MP came around.

good call. i hope they try again with the spin off idea.

Lol @ them passing on this. Only downside is that we got a waste of an episode. Definitely could've got a mythology episode.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/supernatural-spinoff-cw-704360
CW to Develop New 'Supernatural' Spinoff
6:07 AM PDT 5/15/2014 by Philiana Ng

Mark Pedowitz says the network will attempt to expand the universe "once more next season."

The CW still has hopes for a Supernatural spinoff.

Mark Pedowitz, president of The CW, said as much during a call with reporters Thursday when asked whether he would attempt another offshoot, perhaps with characters already in the Supernatural universe. "We believe that there's a real brand in Supernatural," Pedowitz told reporters during a Thursday call ahead of its presentation.

The network passed on Supernatural: Bloodlines, which aired as a backdoor pilot and introduced a crop of new characters, led by Lucien Laviscount, Sean Faris and Nathaniel Buzolic. The ratings weren't bad: The April 29 hour averaged more than 2 million viewers in live-plus-same-day.

"We had six really good pilots this year. We felt that Supernatural [spinoff Bloodlines] just didn’t quite get there, though we do know that people would come to it based on what we saw that night," Pedowitz said. "I've already spoken to the creator and the studio. They know that we want to develop once more next season, a Supernatural spinoff. What it is and what it isn't is still in the air."

Pedowitz noted that discussions about what that spinoff would be will be determined around June and July.

Had The CW moved ahead with Bloodlines, the network would have had three spinoffs from its biggest shows, the others being Arrow (with The Flash) and The Vampire Diaries (The Originals).

Pedowitz remains high on Supernatural, which enters its 10th season in its Tuesday at 9 p.m. slot, touting at the top of the call that the Jensen Ackles-Jared Padalecki series had its biggest season in four years.
Lets just put some actual thought into it this time, shall we? :o

****, Kripke's out of a job now, ask him to create something...

I wish they hadn't ruined Garth this season. A spin-off that featured him hunting while training a new hunter could have been great. Just keep it to small stuff with monster of the week style episodes and an over all arc of helping the newbie catch what ever made him become a hunter.

End of the world style story telling should be reserved for the Winchesters :)

Just so many things went wrong with Bloodlines. Its like they tried but didn't try at all. Ennis's girlfriend really didn't have to die. It made no sense.

I'd rather see a spinoff with Krissy and the kids from season 8. Hell a spinoff with the chick from "Bitten" could work. Anything.

I liked the Bloodlines episode, but Dabb should have done what Guggenheim did and introduce Barry, but not make him the focus of the episode. Instead, he overloaded us. Honestly, though, a lot of the complaints came from the romance aspect and the fridging of Ennis' girlfriend. Think about it, Ennis is the main character, if his girlfriend is dead, no romance for him. No romance for the main chracter and the romance of the side characters would have been a side-plot. This would have made a very good show, I know, it's just the teaser was horrible.

Anyways, how do you guys think they're going to resolve this next season? I get the feeling that it's going to the first filler episode, they go to Chicago kill that Julian guy and meet Ennis' dad. Tie up all loose ends, right? Watch the episode be amazing. Then watch the next spin-off's episode suck again and they just pick up Bloodlines.

Oh yeah while the boys do have bigger fish to fry I can't see them letting something like this slide now that they know it exists. But then again, the monsters aren't exactly killing people like the regular ones they hunt. They just run the city. They might as well fight corruption all over for that matter.

I don't get it...they clearly put a lot of work into the Men of Letters lore. Why not just take one more step and make it a series? Modern day. Say some of them survived in secret.

That would't make sense for them to still be around yet leave their already top secret headquarters completely abandoned for decades. There was a lot of stuff left behind they could have used had they still been around.

If you're going to do something based around the Men of Letters, it has to be period. If a show about Mary Queen of Scots can garner an audience on the network, I'm sure something about an organization investigating the supernatural in the early 1950s can work. Shoot, make Henry Winchester the lead character and set it at the start of his time with the Men of Letters.

The problem with prequels is that you know how they end which always makes them a lot less interesting plus the writers have their hands tied to much.

I think it depends on how a prequel is handled. Some of them can be good but they do have limitations in what the end result will be.

I think a Sam Colt prequel would take place far enough in the past that they'd have more leeway regarding continuity. All we really know about him is that he made the colt and that giant devils trap.

Like Gotham?

Gotham isn't really a prequel since there isn't an already established tv show set in the same continuity so they have some room to write their own story. It does however have it's hands tied behind it's back when it comes to certain characters, after all they can't kill off future Batman villains without risking a big fanboy backlash :yay:.

Will they finally go back to the Samuel Colt idea? It sounded pretty good, and was an oportunity to get out of the Angels routine for a while, would also open up the possibility for new stories. I just hope that they do more monster of the week episodes and use some that the original show didn't, instead of trying to start yet another "epic giant storyline"

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"