Superpowers that Shang-Chi will have in the MCU...?

Jordanstine

Civilian
Reaction score
I’m reading his Marvel bio and they list Shang-Chi’s abilities as:

- Martial Arts Master
- Mastery of Chi
- Self-Duplication (formerly)

What? He can self-duplicate, or at least he used to? I hope they give him self-duplication in the MCU. It’s a power set unique and not seen in that universe (not counting Doctor Strange) and not just more of the same old standard super punching trope.

I would honestly be a disappointed if all they give Shang-Chi is just Martial Arts, because Marvel finally made an Asian SUPER hero but only to make his “super” powers the stereotypical Martial Arts.

Last edited:
You could merge his Chi mastery and duplication abilities with Shang-Chi having the ability to create "shadow" images of himself using Chi energy. As in, when he's engaging multiple foes in battle he will leave his Chi form behind to continue fighting while he takes on a second opponent.

You could merge his Chi mastery and duplication abilities with Shang-Chi having the ability to create "shadow" images of himself using Chi energy. As in, when he's engaging multiple foes in battle he will leave his Chi form behind to continue fighting while he takes on a second opponent.

Yeah shadow powers could work!

First thing I think of when I hear chi is Dragonball throwing fireballs! Or Street Fighter! Hadoken!

DifficultLimpingGrosbeak-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:
This is what I think we'll see.

Yeah, the duplication stuff is something I hope we'll see, but not in a cheesy way like they tried to do Multiple Man in X-Men 3. Instead of having actual duplicates of Shang-Chi, I like the idea of him creating "shadow" or energy-based clones of himself that just look like his silhouette.

I hope he cannot self duplicate. As I've said in another thread, if he could clone himself it would completely remove any suspense from a fight because then he could easily overpower or outnumber an opponent. Instead of him winning against impossible odds like when Bruce Lee fought all the guards by himself in Enter the Dragon, Shang Chi could just even up the odds.

I hope he cannot self duplicate. As I've said in another thread, if he could clone himself it would completely remove any suspense from a fight because then he could easily overpower or outnumber an opponent. Instead of him winning against impossible odds like when Bruce Lee fought all the guards by himself in Enter the Dragon, Shang Chi could just even up the odds.

You could always add some limitations to those abilities, like him spreading his chi more thin the more duplicates he makes, have a time limit on how long they can last or having to concentrate harder to maintain them, and still have suspense during a battle with other opponents. Him having an ability like that doesn’t have to automatically make him overpowered in a fight.

This wouldn't be half bad, actually. I wouldn't want full on duplicates, but one singular shadow image could be cool.

I think the duplication ability will either happen at the end of the film or in a sequel, like Ant-Man going giant for the first time in Civil War.

I watch the new Rockstars breakdown and they mentioned one interesting thing. When Shang Chi is a boy punching that pole there is a picture that probably illustrates pressure points. We see him again as a teen in the trailer continuing his training I guess where he's being smacked with big wooden sticks and he can take it. So they trained him in a way where he can deal with pain and maybe exert more force with each attack?

Basically the joke about Shang Chi's power being Kung Fu might actually not be a joke? They could go with the idea that he channels his chi to make himself physically stronger and faster I guess. I like that idea because I'm for powers and not against. Whatever it is I think they hint strongly in the trailer that his body can endure far better than even the typical peak human fighters that we've seen in the MCU already.

Personally I'm not a fan of him cloning himself. But I'm all for enhanced speed and strength so he's an even better version of himself.

I certainly hope they don't include the duplication, that was the most random and pointless power up. I have to assume it was the result of some writer or editor being completely unable to conceptualize the idea of "superhuman chi-enhanced martial arts".

Anyway, expect that his 'powers' are exactly what they are in 99% of the comics: superhuman chi-enhanced martial arts. Functionally speaking, this means strength, speed, and durability above the normal limits of humanity, along with probably whatever other typical martial arts tricks you could predict, like "sensing attacks coming from behind" or "pressure point strikes on living beings". Hopefully he does at least one bullet-time dodge or parry, since that is one of his more signature moves in the comics.

Have to admit that initial duplicates fight looked pretty sweet. Though when they fly up to the sky and shoot fireballs back was a bit much. If they limit him from doing that and say the "Chi" powers only work close by it would be neat. Maybe it just wipes him out if he goes full on "chi mode". That way they don't end up with a problem like Captain Marvel where she's waaaaaaaaaaay overpowered.

He is going to need a "super move" when he fights the 10 rings though.

He should have mystic chi powers about one level lower than The Mandarin, to establish him as an underdog, but not a hopeless underdog.

I don't even think they need or will give him "proper" superpowers. His mastery of chi basically is a superpower.

He's been punching through cinder block and steel doors, smashing weapons with his bare hands and catching bullets easily. And what I'm mentioned here it's been happening in his recent comics only; there's much more to find if we look through all his stories!

I don't even think they need or will give him "proper" superpowers. His mastery of chi basically is a superpower.

He's been punching through cinder block and steel doors, smashing weapons with his bare hands and catching bullets easily. And what I'm mentioned here it's been happening in his recent comics only; there's much more to find if we look through all his stories!

I basically want this to be his super power. I know his best trait is how skilled he is, but I still want him to do super stuff like punching a guy 10 yards away or leaping really far when he needs to.

He'll still have his underdog role and need to his use brains to defeat more powerful foes. But this at least puts him in the fight though where he could go toe to toe and take a punch from power house characters and keep going.

I basically want this to be his super power. I know his best trait is how skilled he is, but I still want him to do super stuff like punching a guy 10 yards away or leaping really far when he needs to.

He'll still have his underdog role and need to his use brains to defeat more powerful foes. But this at least puts him in the fight though where he could go toe to toe and take a punch from power house characters and keep going.

That's fine. As long as he isn't able to self duplicate. Steve Rogers has super strength but he can still be outnumbered by foes, and the fact that he's able to take them down singlehandedly makes it more impressive. Shang Chi can have super strength but if he's always able to even up the odds in a fight, that makes it extremely dull and lacks any suspense.

I want to see him alone take on hoards of enemies and hold his own and beat them by his own skill. We saw Daredevil do that in the stairwell fight in his own series. Imagine if DD could just clone himself. That would have been nowhere near as compelling or thrilling to watch.

From the beginning I've been against duplication since I first heard that he has done it before. I just want his "superpower" to be the same thing we've been seeing in kung fu movies for decades.

Basically like how they can defy gravity in wuxia or how they've trained their bodies to a point where they can withstand being hit by concrete as well as punching through it. This stuff isn't considered a super power in kung fu movies though. But for Shang Chi(assuming he's enhanced) I hope it's explained in a way in which the audience understands that it is one for him.

I mean, why would it need more explanation than "He had the really good super kung fu tutors"? Its not like "mystically potent martial arts masters can teach a better grade of kung fu" is alien to pop culture.

The latest episode of Kung Fu just did what Iron Fist does with his fists by having the lead actress punch a hole through a solid door by channelling her chi. Just without the glowing fist.

I mean, why would it need more explanation than "He had the really good super kung fu tutors"? Its not like "mystically potent martial arts masters can teach a better grade of kung fu" is alien to pop culture.

I'm not asking for a 10 minute break down, just a quick explantation of why Shang Chi can do the things he can as an ordinary human. This is Marvel after all and all the extra special people have a reason for why they can do the things they can.

Sure they could just have the audience come to their own conclusion that it's just kung fu. But people like the lore behind why characters can punch through walls so I hope Marvel doesn't ignore that.

I'm not asking for a 10 minute break down, just a quick explantation of why Shang Chi can do the things he can as an ordinary human. This is Marvel after all and all the extra special people have a reason for why they can do the things they can.

Sure they could just have the audience come to their own conclusion that it's just kung fu. But people like the lore behind why characters can punch through walls so I hope Marvel doesn't ignore that.

Hawkeye never got an explanation. We always act like he’s just really good and doesn’t have a full blown power but let’s be real, Hawkeye 1000% has a superpower.

Hawkeye never got an explanation. We always act like he’s just really good and doesn’t have a full blown power but let’s be real, Hawkeye 1000% has a superpower.

We might find out on his show coming out later this year.

The fundamental problem is the idea that you need one of a finite and specific number of explanations in order to be Extraordinary. The MCU, like most comic book worlds, doesn't work like that. "Talent and training" is a perfectly valid 'origin' for a Superhero, no powers needed, and while it puts a boundary on the *type* of abilities a character can have, it doesn't particularly put a cap on the *level* of said abilities.

Shang Chi should be a lot more like Clint Barton and Natasha Romanoff: a superhero without any powers but a very valuable member of the Avengers

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"