Taika Waititi's HUNT FOR THE WILDERPEOPLE

Moridin

Death Contagious Deity
Reaction score
Taika Waititi (Eagle vs Shark, Boy, What We Do In the Shadows, Thor: Ragnarok) writes and directs his 4th feature, starring Julian Dennison & Sam Neil.

1.jpg

RT synopsis:
"Raised on hip-hop and foster care, defiant city kid Ricky gets a fresh start in the New Zealand countryside. He quickly finds himself at home with his new foster family: the loving Aunt Bella, the cantankerous Uncle Hec, and dog Tupac. When a tragedy strikes that threatens to ship Ricky to another home, both he and Hec go on the run in the bush. As a national manhunt ensues, the newly branded outlaws must face their options: go out in a blaze of glory or overcome their differences and survive as a family. Equal parts road comedy and rousing adventure story, director Taika Waititi masterfully weaves lively humor with emotionally honest performances by Sam Neill and Julian Dennison. A hilarious, touching crowd-pleaser, HUNT FOR THE WILDERPEOPLE reminds us about the journey that growing up is (at any age) and those who help us along the way."
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/hunt_for_the_wilderpeople/

Trailer 1
[YT]dPaU4Gymt3E[/YT]

US Trailer
[YT]XGj3AogT9EM[/YT]

I had seen What We Do in the Shadows around early 2015 and really enjoyed it. I saw Boy a few weeks ago and it immediately became a new favourite, Wilderpeople looks to be in a similar vein to that, so I'm all in.

It was released in New Zealand on March 31st. Will be released in Australia at the end of May, and the US on June 24th. It doesn't seem to have secured release in other major markets yet.

The trailer's amazing.

It is very well cut.

It's picked up more distributors, though no release dates just yet, & it's the top film in New Zealand:

Thor: Ragnarok director Taika Waititi’s Sundance hit Hunt for the Wilderpeople has sold out at Cannes for Protagonist Pictures. Vertigo Releasing has acquired the film for the UK, Synergy has taken it for France and Front Row Entertainment for the Middle East. North America (co-repped by Protagonist and CAA) sold at Sundance to The Orchard, while local territories New Zealand and Australia were retained by the producers and are with Piki and Madman.

Sony Pictures Worldwide Acquisitions has scooped up all remaining territories.

Hunt for the Wilderpeople has just become the highest-grossing local film ever in New Zealand, surpassing previous record holder, Boy, also from Waititi, which grossed in excess of $9.3M in 2010. Waititi (with co-director Jemaine Clement) also holds the seventh slot on the top box office list for 2014’s What We Do in the Shadows, which grossed over NZ$2.5M.

“Having the film sell worldwide is fantastic,” Waititi said. “We’re thrilled that people will get to see it in all territories. It’s also great for New Zealand Film that there is an appetite for our style of filmmaking. I couldn’t be happier.”

http://deadline.com/2016/05/protago...-hunt-for-the-wilderpeople-cannes-1201757044/

What We Do In The Shadows was genius. Looking forward to this. :up:

fiOLeKJ.jpg

Looks like this has a UK release (which I assume will be the same for Ireland), 12th of August. Which makes August a lot more interesting for me, the only other film out then that I'm looking forward to is Suicide Squad.

@Starlord, don't stop at WWDITS, check out Boy aswell. I still have to watch Eagle vs Shark.

This is out in the US this weekend.

I also watched Eagle vs Shark a couple of weeks ago. Pretty good debut for Waititi, has that offbeat comedy/drama vibe that his other films have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"