Taika Waititi’ - “Jojo Rabbit”

2 “Full Price” from the guys at Double Toasted.

I've seen Jojo Rabbit! ;D
Taika Waititi once again delivered a unique piece of cinema.

It's something special that should be experience by everyone. It takes you on a emotional roller coster ride which will leave you laughing, fully engaged, heartbroken, hopeful, happy and speechless. It's a miracle what TW accomplishes taking into account the subject matter because he tackles it with passion, insight and all while giving the audience something important to think about as you leave the theater. It's a movie that impacts on a deeper level and that stays with you, a movie that raises questions and hopefully delivers answers about indoctrination of younger generations, love/hate, tolerance, humanity...

Jojo Rabbit has Taika's particular sense of humor sprinkled throughout. The humor of the mundane and the absurdity of certain situations. It has some great jokes that will leave you in stitches, really memorable stuff... Big surprises too. The dramatic moments are well crafted and for the most part deliver some powerful and intense emotional responses. It's also fast paced and flies by in an instant.

The cast fires on an all cylinders. Every single one is great. Everyone in their own right.
So many amazing performances, comedic, dramatic, scene stealing... Incredible work form a well rounded cast.

It's another solid win for Taika Waititi. Another great addition to the TW box set.
Very rewatchable and rewarding as his previous work. I'd rate Jojo Rabbit at a 8.5/9 out of 10. Up there with his best work. It's not a prefect movie but one that is wholeheartedly unique and unforgettable. Go see it. :)

giphy.gif

Last edited:
This wasn’t as great as I thought it could’ve been, having read the script (some of the casting I just didn’t love), but it was still a funny, highly enjoyable, very sweet film, imo.

This wasn’t as great as I thought it could’ve been, having read the script (some of the casting I just didn’t love), but it was still a funny, highly enjoyable, very sweet film, imo.
How would you rate it out of 10? Which casting choices didn't you like?
And if you had to rate Taika's filmography where would you put Jojo Rabbit?

I knew I'd love this just from the opening credits alone and it didn't disappoint. One of my favorite movies of the year.
Cool. Have you seen other Taika movies?

How would you rate it out of 10? Which casting choices didn't you like?
And if you had to rate Taika's filmography where would you put Jojo Rabbit?
Probably 8/10. All of Taika’s other movies I’ve seen (WWDitS, HftWP and Ragnarok) are nines so this is my least favorite of his but I still very much enjoyed it. I never liked the casting of ScarJo, and Rockwell felt like a bit of weird typecasting with the kinds of roles he’s been doing lately, so that was kind of “blah” choice to me, as was Rebel Wilson for her role, which could’ve been funnier in the hands of a different comedienne, imo.

Yep! Every one except for Eagle vs Shark and Boy. What We Do in the Shadows and Jojo Rabbit are my favorites.

I also love the What We Do in the Shadows series on FX.
Oh you gotta see "Boy". I had the lucky chance of catching it on Youtube a while back, it's really good and feels very personal. It's probably me favorite. That movie feels really like the starting point for his career, his style is so peculiar and unique. Also there are a ton of nods in "Boy" to his latter work, like Thor: Ragnarok, Jojo Rabbit, HFTWP... A few examples of that.
tumblr_ou8b1jW62S1qa1s2no2_400.gif
C12fzZUWIAElRwt.jpg

Probably 8/10. All of Taika’s other movies I’ve seen (WWDitS, HftWP and Ragnarok) are nines so this is my least favorite of his but I still very much enjoyed it. I never liked the casting of ScarJo, and Rockwell felt like a bit of weird typecasting with the kinds of roles he’s been doing lately, so that was kind of “blah” choice to me, as was Rebel Wilson for her role, which could’ve been funnier in the hands of a different comedienne, imo.
Try and find/watch "Boy" somewhere. I highly recommend. ;)

ScarJo/Rosie is the heart of Jojo Rabbit. I thought she was truly fantastic and deserving of an oscar nomination.
Rockwell i thought was great too. Rebel Wilson accent was hilarious to me. So bad. :D Anyways I thought the whole cast was good.

Last edited:
Haven’t been lucky enough to make it to the cinema in months but I was able to catch this over the weekend and it didn’t disappoint.

Went in expecting to laugh and I certainly did, but the real meat of it all and what I loved the most was Jojo and his mother. I knew almost nothing about the story beyond Taika playing Hitler so I was very taken with how charming and heartfelt that mother/son relationship was. Brilliant casting for those two leads.

All in all I think this or Ragnarok might be my favorite movie of his. What We Do in the Shadows is lovely and funnier on the whole but there was a sweetness to this movie I didn’t expect.

I could see many people taking issue with the relatively simplistic approach to the Nazi/Hitler issue and how hate is portrayed and laughed at but I think that showing it’s ridiculousness through a child’s eyes was quite fun and effective and overall part of the charm.

9/10.

Last edited:
This movie stays with you and when i revisit certain stuff it's so affecting both comically and dramatically.
A few more takeaways from Jojo Rabbit.

- Among many others the 2 dog jokes cracked me up.
- The dramatic moments hit you like a ton of bricks.
- Taika's performance as the imaginary Hitler was funny/goofy but also manipulative and scary real at points.
- I felt the movie really fired on all cylinders in the last 30 minutes.
- The pythonesque vibe to some of the scenes was just gold.
- It's absurdly funny and lighthearted at times but it also dabs into some dark humor.
- The main performances are so strong. Roman, ScarJo and Thomasin are top notch. Coupled with strong supporting appearances by Rockwell, Taika, Alfie Allen, Archie Yates, Stephen Merchant...

I finally managed to see this and I was not disappointed in the slightest. What an absolutely lovely film. Outside of three specific 15-second ads, I didn't watch a single bit of footage and I'm very happy I avoided all of. The jokes were very funny, the performances were great, but the thing I loved most was how heartfelt the movie was. The plot is very simple and probably quite predictable, but the characters' relationships really made everything soar. Jojo and his mother's relationship was so so sweet and I got teary-eyed during that one scene.

I'm not a big Rebel Wilson fan, but she had me dying. Taika's work continues to impress me and he's one of my favorites working today. Very excited for more original movies like this and What We Do in the Shadows in the future. My personal favorite of the year, 9/10.

I really enjoyed this, easily one of my favorites of the year. Though did I miss where they
mentioned how Jojo's sister died? I saw on wiki they say influenza but I don't recall them ever mentioning it in the film.

I really enjoyed this, easily one of my favorites of the year. Though did I miss where they
mentioned how Jojo's sister died? I saw on wiki they say influenza but I don't recall them ever mentioning it in the film.
I think it’s something
discussed between Jojo and Elsa

This was a spectacular film. This along with Joker made so so so happy and thankful that we get such beautiful art like these to see, analyze and admire. Scarlett Johansson was excellent. I loved performance and it was truly delightful to see her in this role. Sam Rockwell was excellent as well. There are so many parts of the movie that are gut-wrenching and sad yet interlaced with moments of beauty. This was such a layered film with a beautiful message and I’ve been thinking about it all week. Will definitely have to rewatch this and Joker!

I regret reading the script last year when it was still floating around the interwebs. Definitely lessened the impact of *that* scene, which definitely got an audible reaction from the audience.

Still thoroughly enjoyed the movie though. This one is a first-day Blu-ray buy.

Took me a little while to get into it, but once I did I was all the way in. I was expecting this to be more of a comedy, but man, the drama worked more than the humor.

I thought Scarlett was good, but Roman Griffin Davis was fantastic.

Overall I liked it, but I didn't love the first act so that brings it down for me a bit. I'd watch it again.

Took me a little while to get into it, but once I did I was all the way in. I was expecting this to be more of a comedy, but man, the drama worked more than the humor.

I thought Scarlett was good, but Roman Griffin Davis was fantastic.

Overall I liked it, but I didn't love the first act so that brings it down for me a bit. I'd watch it again.

what did you feel about the first act that was a let down? Just curious as I love hearing other opinions on this film as well! Agree with Davis being fantastic.

what did you feel about the first act that was a let down? Just curious as I love hearing other opinions on this film as well! Agree with Davis being fantastic.
I wouldn't say I was let down by the first act, but I just don't think it was as good as the second and third acts and maybe it took some time for this to find its footing or for me to get into it.

It could change on a future rewatch.

I feel like I should've seen *THAT* scene coming, but I just wasn't thinking about the possibility and it really punched me in the gut.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"