Taika Waititi’ - “Jojo Rabbit”

Discussion in 'Misc. Films' started by HammerDown, Mar 14, 2018.

1. venom892 Coming Home

Don't know exactly where this will rank, but it was one of the more enjoyable theater experiences of the year. The entire cast was charming, it was the most I laughed all year and when the gut punches come, they come without softening the blow. Taika has yet to disappoint me.

KaijuDude1992 likes this.
  2. HammerDown High Tide Or Low Tide

I agree with you on this. It definitely takes some adjusting in the beginning.
    Yeah the 2nd and particularly the 3rd act is when things really kick into gear. I'm also looking forward to seeing it again.

I knew of it before hand and it still hit me like a ton of bricks. Just the way the scene plays out is heartbreaking.
    It's actually kind of similar to something that happens in "Hunt For The Wilderpeople", just that in this it was much more drastic and impactful.

KaijuDude1992 and scarlet-witch like this.
  3. Asr Registered

Just came back from this and I loved it, absolutely loved it!

The only other Taika Waititi movie I've seen is Thor Ragnarok (which still felt super Marvel-ized to me), and I had only seen the first theatrical trailer, so I went in with very minimal expectations. And I was totally blown away by it and won over by its charm—when the movie meant to be funny, it was absolutely hilarious, and when it meant to be sad, dramatic, and even scary at points, it was all very effective and genuine. And I loved that it didn't forget to be funny even after that laugh riot of the first act, and that the jokes kept coming throughout the rest of the film.

All of the actors were so, so good in their parts, and I loved the kid actor who played the main character. That kid is totally going to go places as he gets older! He was instantly likeable and adorable, and the relationship with his mom played by ScarJo was just absolutely beautiful.

Loved, loved, loved this film. It had so much heart and charm put into it that pulled me in hook line and sinker. And I also loved the setting of the film which was absolutely brilliant and something I've actually never seen before in any WW2 movies that I've seen (and I've seen my share of them)—placing it in WW2 Germany from the perspective of the Germans, in an unknown town where it felt idyllic and peaceful, and for most of the movie, you actually forget about "evil Germans" and Nazis being bad guys. That was a great twist on a formula where it seems every American-made movie set during WW2 has to show the Nazis (or Germans otherwise) as 1-dimensional villains.

4. scarlet-witch Stormborn

@Asr You should really check out Hunt for the Wilderpeople!

Batmannerism, Asr and HammerDown like this.
  5. HammerDown High Tide Or Low Tide

Yep. HFTWP and Boy are similar to JJR, tackling impactful themes with an absurdist, humorous and heartfelt lens.
    @Asr

scarlet-witch and Asr like this.
  6. scarlet-witch Stormborn

The only movie I've seen of Taika's that I legitimately didn't like was Eagle vs Shark. Otherwise I've enjoyed all the rest.

7. HammerDown High Tide Or Low Tide

Jojo Rabbit in a nutshell.

[​IMG]

#307 HammerDown, Nov 18, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  8. HammerDown High Tide Or Low Tide

Really smart marketing strategy and well cut actual footage with people's reactions.
    "WHAT ARE YOU BURNING?" LOL :D

scarlet-witch likes this.
  9. HammerDown High Tide Or Low Tide

10. Schlosser85 Watchful Protector

It seems exactly the kind of movie he’d approve of.

11. tzarinna Mamochka

I thought the kids were absolutely amazing in this. I saw their Q&A on twitter after viewing the movie, and they're just as awesome off the screen. Looking forward to them killing it on the big screen in their future projects.

12. HammerDown High Tide Or Low Tide

13. scarlet-witch Stormborn

I really want to watch this movie again.

Holy Slapper likes this.
  14. KaijuDude1992 Registered

A really sweet and charming little movie. Fantastic performances from all the young actors in this, especially Roman Griffin Davis and Thomasin McKenzie. Scarlett Johansson was pretty great in this too and Takia was an awesome choice for imaginary Hitler, but holy crap did that shoe scene get me. I definitely wasn't expecting that at all, but it was very effective and definitely an emotional gut punch.

9/10

HammerDown likes this.
  15. Batmannerism Super-unknown

Mel Brooks is a comedy genius - and had the guts to tackle racism by laughing at it. Waititi hits some similar notes here, great to see Brooks giving him props, as today's world is much harder to tackle these topics in than the one Brooks released Blazing Saddles ( one of the funniest films ever made).

16. CaptainWagner Not Today

FINALLY got to see this after it being one of my most anticipated works of the year, and it was well-worth the wait. Just incredible work on every level. I could go on and on about the cast, which was all brilliant but I really especially highlight how Alfie Allen had about five lines and built such a brilliantly funny character out of that.

Rockwell and Allen here have the greatest movie romance of the year, change my mind :o

KaijuDude1992 and scarlet-witch like this.
  17. scarlet-witch Stormborn

I laughed so hard at their staring scene. :funny:

KaijuDude1992 and CaptainWagner like this.
  18. HammerDown High Tide Or Low Tide

19. HammerDown High Tide Or Low Tide

20. antsman41 Belongs To Prince

...I think Jo Jo finding his mom might have been the most heartbreaking/beautifully shot scenes all year.

21. HammerDown High Tide Or Low Tide

AFI Awards: 2019's Top Films, TV Programs Honored As Mel Brooks Praises "Terrific" 'Jojo Rabbit'

22. scarlet-witch Stormborn

Agreed. In hindsight there were plenty of hints but it still caught me way off guard when it happened.

23. HammerDown High Tide Or Low Tide

24. HammerDown High Tide Or Low Tide

Box Office:
    Jojo Rabbit is well on its way to becoming a solid box office hit for Fox Searchlight and Taika. It just recently opened in Australia and the UK while 80% of the international markets will open throughout January and February.

With the awards chatter surrounding the movie the BO final results should get a significant bump. When all is said and done I would expect the movie to score at the very least around 50M+ WW which would be around 4x it’s original budget.

25. Silvermoth Avenger

Saw it last night and loved it! It’s so nice every now and then to see a film that’s not obviously designed by markets and franchisees. I loved jojo’s little buddy and rebel wilson is an unlikely scene stealer