• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Teleprompter vs Bush-isms?

chaseter

Esteemed Member
Reaction score
I have noticed that Obama never makes a speech without a teleprompter. Every speech he has made has had a prompter there every single time. Is this the reason that add to some of the mythos surrounding the man; that he is a great speaker?

Recently, the press asked the White House team if they could lower the prompters to get a better picture of Obama and his foreign dignitaries to which they were quickly denied. Yesterday, the prime minister of Ireland came to the White House and was reading off the teleprompter to discover that it was Obama's speech because he nearly introduced himself!:woot:

So, do you think this route in being prompted is better than goofing up words like Bush did and being ridiculed about it? Bush didn't use prompters, he used cards and winged it. Does this also bring concerns about when asked a question, a group of people behind the scenes quickly write up an answer for him?

Last edited:
Him and Al Sharpton need to make their own dictionary.

Obama Thanks Himself, Irish PM Repeats Speech in Teleprompter Meltdown

Irish Prime Minister Brian Cowen reads word for word a speech that Obama had just read from a teleprompter, while the president apparently thanked himself for the invitation.

WASHINGTON -- Irish Prime Minister Brian Cowen was just a few paragraphs into an address at a St. Patrick's Day celebration at the White House when he realized something sounded way too familiar. Turns out, he was repeating the speech President Barack Obama had just given.
Cowen was set to speak twice at the White House on Tuesday night because there were two different parties going on at the executive mansion. No matter -- he would give the same speech to the two different audiences.

But Cowen was 20 seconds into his second address when it dawned on him that he was giving word for word the speech that Obama had just read from the same teleprompter. Cowen stopped and looked back at the president to say, "That's your speech."

Obama laughed and returned to the podium to offer what might have been Cowen's remarks. In doing so, President Obama thanked President Obama for inviting everyone over.

Earlier, the president claimed an Irish ancestry to Ireland's leader and joked to Congress that his genealogy could have helped him as a once-unknown Chicago politician.

White House fountains and sparkling wine both ran green as Obama courted Ireland's prime minister and political leaders from Northern Ireland. As Obama sought to tamp down violence in Northern Ireland, he announced Tuesday a key campaign backer Dan Rooney, owner of the Pittsburgh Steelers football team, as his choice to fill the post of U.S. ambassador to Dublin.

"Not all Americans are Irish, but all Americans support those who stand on the side of peace and peace will prevail," Obama told Prime Minister Brian Cowen in the Oval Office, praising the two countries' deep ties.
On tap for the evening's festivities -- which Obama described as "rambunctious" to East Room guests -- was green sparkling wine from a California vineyard.

The White House cocktail reception featured Pulitzer Prize-winning poet Paul Muldoon from Northern Ireland and Maggie McCarthy, a traditional Irish dancer and musician from Cork, and the vocal group Celtic Thunder. The Shannon Rovers, the official pipe band of Chicago's St. Patrick's Day festival, also were set to perform.

Obama joked about the free-flowing bar and warned his guests not to wear lampshades on their heads in front of the cameras. He later went off his remarks to get laughs about Ireland's popular stout.

"Guinness tastes very different in Ireland," Obama said. "It is much better. You guys are keeping the good stuff for yourselves."

:lmao:

I have noticed that Obama never makes a speech without a teleprompter.
Most people who have to make media appearances use some sort of pre-planned, pre-screened speech, whether it be a script or a teleprompter. I honestly find it amusing that people get on our current President for using a teleprompter.

By the by, Thomas Jefferson was a horrible speaker, so much so instead of addressing Congress or his staff directly, he'd generally address them in writing (which was his forte').

I would say it isn't that big of a deal. Mostly on account that Obama comes off very charismatic and able to speak very well with it.

Notice anytime that he doesn't have a planned speech or teleprompter, you'll see that he stutters a lot and just comes off horrible and makes you wonder why the hell people give him props for his skills when they look utterly non-existent.

I would rather see Obama speak well than shake my head every time he doesn't use a teleprompter.

But as Carcharodon said, Bush invented entirely new words. Which was awesome.

Without Bush, I would not know that there are multiple internets. Without this knowledge, I could very well accidentally confuse good internets with bad internets, and that would be a huge mess that frankly I'm glad I don't have to worry about.

You do realize Bush used a teleprompter at many of his speeches, yet still couldn't manage to speak intelligibly...

Most people who have to make media appearances use some sort of pre-planned, pre-screened speech, whether it be a script or a teleprompter. I honestly find it amusing that people get on our current President for using a teleprompter.

By the by, Thomas Jefferson was a horrible speaker, so much so instead of addressing Congress or his staff directly, he'd generally address them in writing (which was his forte').
I am not knocking Obama...I think it is a smart move so that he isn't ridiculed like Bush was by the media. But, you begin to wonder what are really his answers and what are the answers of his team of writers that field questions and quickly type up a response. He is a personable man, but I don't see why he can't talk without a prompter.

Everyone slammed Bush for his winged speeches and words, calling him an idiot. But, I don't see how constantly reading off a prompter is any better than actually speaking for yourself. In today's day and age, video and sound bytes make or break a career...not the same as when Jefferson was president. I don't think any president today could get away with only typing up addresses to the people or congress.

You do realize Bush used a teleprompter at many of his speeches, yet still couldn't manage to speak intelligibly...
He used blue cards more than he did prompters. I am not talking about national media covered events where everyone uses a prompter, I am talking about these localized events and even short speeches made at the White House in which Bush did not use a prompter but Obama is. I have heard Obama speak without a prompter and he does stutter and fumble words and sentences as Hippie Hunter mentioned.

He used a prompter for his short speech yesterday about St. Patrick's Day and welcoming the Irish Prime Minister...:dry:

He used blue cards more than he did prompters. I am not talking about national media covered events where everyone uses a prompter, I am talking about these localized events and even short speeches made at the White House in which Bush did not use a prompter but Obama is. I have heard Obama speak without a prompter and he does stutter and fumble words and sentences as Hippie Hunter mentioned.

He used a prompter for his short speech yesterday about St. Patrick's Day and welcoming the Irish Prime Minister...:dry:
That went well, huh? :hehe:

This reminds me of Anchorman...great things could come from this. Get to work people.

As much as I love to laugh, I'll the take guy who's interested in making sense. Which is something Obama can still manage to do without notes, his Q+A's after the speeches attest to this. Sure, it may take him a year to get through a sentence...

As much as I love to laugh, I'll the take guy who's interested in making sense. Which is something Obama can still manage to do without notes, his Q+A's after the speeches attest to this. Sure, it may take him a year to get through a sentence...
So Obama is Andy and Bush is Barney Fife:woot: I can see that:woot:

Without Bush, I would not know that there are multiple internets. Without this knowledge, I could very well accidentally confuse good internets with bad internets, and that would be a huge mess that frankly I'm glad I don't have to worry about.

That's why there are plumbers. They're the ones that keep the tubes of the internet moving. It's not like it's a big truck

One thing I cannot understand in regards to this teleprompter controversy is why some people are making it into such a scandal. So the Irish Prime Minister read from Obama's speech... and that reflects poorly on Obama how, exactly? :huh:

Oh quit acting like every time Bush blinked it wasn't turned into a controversy. Obama uses a teleprompter 24/7...I asked if this was a good thing or a bad thing. Good in that he will never flub a speech like Bush did but bad in the sense that what is really his honest opinion and answer on a matter. Obama is personable and him reading off a prompter all the time is not so personable which then makes you question if he can speak or not without it.

One thing I cannot understand in regards to this teleprompter controversy is why some people are making it into such a scandal. So the Irish Prime Minister read from Obama's speech... and that reflects poorly on Obama how, exactly? :huh:

Yeah. Inquiring minds want to know. :huh:

But you gotta admit, Obama is great at giving speeches. He's also good at talking to a small audience. It's when he answers questions at press conferences and debates is when he stumbles.

Bush sucked with a teleprompter. And when he made off the cuff remarks, it was classic. My favorite is:

[YT]jqcfGp2tMW0[/YT]

Here's a prime example of why Obama should avoid talking without a teleprompter:

Yeah. Inquiring minds want to know. :huh:

But you gotta admit, Obama is great at giving speeches. He's also good at talking to a small audience. It's when he answers questions at press conferences and debates is when he stumbles.

Bush sucked with a teleprompter. And when he made off the cuff remarks, it was classic. My favorite is:

God I love it when Bush didn't have a teleprompter.

Oh quit acting like every time Bush blinked it wasn't turned into a controversy. Obama uses a teleprompter 24/7...I asked if this was a good thing or a bad thing. Good in that he will never flub a speech like Bush did but bad in the sense that what is really his honest opinion and answer on a matter. Obama is personable and him reading off a prompter all the time is not so personable which then makes you question if he can speak or not without it.

Bush's verbal screw ups reflected poorly on him as a public speaker and leader. It made him an international embarrassment. I don't see how the Prime Minister of another country's accidental reading of Obama's speech is controversial at all, nor a reflection of his poor public speaking abilities, nor an embarrassment to this country.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"