Terminator: Dark Fate

Well, that's exactly why that novelty was needed. It shakes things up.

Legion is winning.

Humans send someone back as a last stand.

Legion gets a hold of it and sends someone back to stop whoever was sent back. Oooor...

Legion is winning.

Humans sends someone back to stop a Terminator which was sent back before the victory.

Of course I just made this up in mere seconds, but if you give it some thoughts there are endless possibilities on how to approach the issue.
maybe its because i grew up with the terminator movies. but in the first movie it makes sense. The machines are advanced AI and are able to create a time machine. they are losing so it makes sense that they would try to go back in time to stop John . If the machines are winning why would they create a time machine and why would humans first go back in time? if you have to come up with those kind of changes than i guess its time for an original movie or a reboot.

Alternate timelines are pretty much the only loophole writers have regarding paradoxes.

T2 is a much better film in every way imo. Even the evil terminator is better imo.

Objectively speaking I'd say both movies are on a par with one another. Though their strengths might lie in different areas. As far as my own personal tastes go, I've pretty much always given the edge to T1. Even when I was a kid I preferred the tech-noir '80s aesthetic and slasher horror vibes. Literally the only thing I have a problem deciding is whether I prefer the T-800 or the T-1000 as a villain.

Last edited:
The Terminator is an incredible movie, but i grew up thinking T2 was one of the greatest movies ever, and I still feel that way.
I preferred T2 over T1 only in my teenage days. When I saw it as an adult, it felt like a fifth wheel to the story of T1, which was complete. I'd go even further to say that it ruins the story of T1. More adult, critical eye revealed seams I didn't care about as a kid. T1 also has some, but it's tighter and smaller nature helps conceal them much better. T1 is far more atmospheric, with better OST, tighter narrative and I frankly prefer time traveling love story over "I'll take my child to a suicide mission" and pet cyborg. With all it's problems, I still think T2 is an awesome movie. We rarely get stuff like that on big screen.

Not an attempt to pile on it, just trying to explain why I think T1 is superior to T2. Or at least why I prefer T1 over T2.

Last edited:
DOMESTIC (23.9%)
$59,531,297
INTERNATIONAL (76.1%)
$189,800,000
WORLDWIDE
$249,331,297

Lowest box office performance since the original Terminator.

Boxoffice is already dying fast. No chance to hit $300 mil.

01) Terminator 2 JD (1991) - $520,8 mil.
02) Terminator Genisys (2015) - $440,6 mil.
03) Terminator 3 RotM (2003) - $433,4 mil.
04) Terminator Salvation (2009) - $371,4 mil.
05) Terminator Dark Fate (2019) - $270 mil.
06) The Terminator (1984) - $78,5 mil.

The movie has a cost north of $250 mil (production & marketing).
Needed a $450+ mil WW gross to break even.

Guess we re not getting another high budget sequel any time soon. Probably for the best.

Damn that’s rough, when they inevitably try again they need to keep the budget down.

Blasphemy! I mean get why some name that specifically as his best but for me it's hard to single one out as he has such a gem of a collection with the likes of Abyss, Aliens, Terminator, T2 and a smaller tier with True Lies.

He's like Spielberg to me! You can name Jaws or ET but then look back through his career while still being active and it's like yeah but yeah but..

Damn that’s rough, when they inevitably try again they need to keep the budget down.

The next Terminator movie needs someone like Neill Blomkamp, Leigh Whannell, or Alex Garland to write & direct it. Directors who know how to make quality sci-fi on a budget. ;)

Doug Liman, Joseph Kosinki, or Denis Villeneuve would work too—I'd be willing to bet Villeneuve in particular would come up with a great Terminator film, he hasn't disappointed with anything he's done yet. Or even Matt Reeves—I'd be interested in seeing his take on this franchise too.

Last edited:
The next Terminator movie needs someone like Neill Blomkamp, Leigh Whannell, or Alex Garland to write & direct it. Directors who know how to make quality sci-fi on a budget. ;)

Doug Liman, Joseph Kosinki, or Denis Villeneuve would work too—I'd be willing to bet Villeneuve in particular would come up with a great Terminator film, he hasn't disappointed with anything he's done yet. Or even Matt Reeves—I'd be interested in seeing his take on this franchise too.

All great choices to be fair, though Blomkamp needs to get back to his District 9 self.

I hope no one does another one and theyll just leave it alone. Poetically, Cameron came back and approved things, editing and gave story ideas and its his first involvement since T2 3D. And its also the third movie in Sarah Connor story so I like the things to stay as trilogy as they do now. I wish they release a bluray combo with T1, T2 and TDF in one package

As much as I love the whole Terminator concept I can't see another one coming for quite a while. Genisys was deemed a failure and this one's doing even worse. I think they were hanging everything on Cameron's name to bring back the faithful and it just didn't work. I can't see any way that yet another attempt is going to perform as well as they're obviously hoping for. This franchise needs to power down for a good few years IMO.

maybe its because i grew up with the terminator movies. but in the first movie it makes sense. The machines are advanced AI and are able to create a time machine. they are losing so it makes sense that they would try to go back in time to stop John . If the machines are winning why would they create a time machine and why would humans first go back in time? if you have to come up with those kind of changes than i guess its time for an original movie or a reboot.

OF COURSE it makes sense in those movies. I LOVE those movies. They're two of my favorite pictures ever. But you have to try new things when making a sequel, especially one that's supposed to be the third chapter in your saga.

And I disagree with your statement. Otherwise, when it comes to James Cameron's own "Aliens," they should've just made an original movie or a reboot, because it doesn't simply take place on another spaceship like the original movie.

In the defense of filmmakers, trying to make a good sequel itself is very hard and trying to find that balance that works. How are you doing something different and breaking new ground but not ruining what was established beforehand?

Just stop shoehorning sequels into a played-out franchise. Just stop.

Terminator- Negative. The Terminator franchise can not be stopped. It can only be stopped if the box office gross is lower than the budget.

I have been getting into video editing lately and this is the first time I have tried to edit a pre existing movie into a trailer of sorts.

Em try to have it not show who the bad guy is as the other trailers in the past have given it away. It does show quite a lot of action scenes so its kinda spoilery in a sense but if you haven't seen it already then you must be mad.

Last edited:
It was the case of the sequel just ramping up the entire concept 200%. The first movie was a horror basically. The second was a sci-fi action. The same thing happened with Aliens.
Yes. 2 of my favourite sci-fi action sequels of all time following up 2 great sci-fi horror films.

Just stop shoehorning sequels into a played-out franchise. Just stop.
It's only played out until it isn't. Some day someone will make another successful Terminator film or series I imagine. Just can't tell when.

Missed this on the big screen, but I actually really enjoyed it. Didn't go in expecting it to be better than the first two of course, but just wanted something that was clear and easy to follow. Suffered from a bit of CGI-itis at times, but aside from that, I liked the action.

Big fan of Mackenzie Davis too and she was solid. I hope she gets a chance to appear in another big franchise - and succeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"