Guardians of the Galaxy Terrigen Mist an Infinity Stone

Super Jim

Sidekick
Reaction score
A while ago in one of my other threads, which talks about who Starlord's pops will be, I started to get into the possibility of either an Inhuman or Starfox. This got me thinking about something that I believe may end up being one of the next Infinity Stones.

I think we all know now that the Inifinity Stones, and possibly the Infinity Guantlet, is where we are ultimately heading. This is where Thanos is focused and is what will make him the ultimate threat in likely Avengers 3.

As we all know the Infinity Stones (or Soul Gems), in the comics, are six over-powered and indestructable artifacts, each with a unique property. When together, they grant someone the effective power of God, to create, alter, recreate or destroy anything or everything, even the universe itself.

Infinity-Gems-Avengers-Comics-colors-2-570x876.jpg

In the movies these Infinity Stones have been main pieces of some of the previous Marvel movies (although the look and colors don't necessarily match the comics). So far we have the following:

- The Tesseract/Cosmic Cube, which was seen in both Captain America: The First Avenger and The Avengers, appears to be the Space Stone since it was used to transport Loki and the Chitauri armada.

- The Aether was seen in Thor: the Dark World, and is likely the Reality Stone.

- In Guardians of the Galaxy right off the bat Starlord steals an orb which turns out to be another Infinity Gem. This one is likely the Power Stone, based on a Tweet from James Gunn.

- Next, some are saying that Loki's staff will end up being another, though that one seemed to get it's power from the Tesseract, so who knows. It did have the power to control people, which might play into the concept of the Mind Stone, but we'll see.

The point is that instead of these artificats being just some small stone in the Marvel Movieverse, they instead have been something more. Now looking at different powerful substances from the comics one that seems like it would play very well into the possibility of being one of the movieverse's Infinity Stones is the Terrigen Mist.

Let me explain why...

The Terrigen Mist is a substance used by the Inhumans to give them special powers.

The Inhumans are really nothing more than a Kree science experiment on humans. They secluded themelves from the rest of humanity and developed advanced technology.

They experimented with something called the Terrigen Mist which gave them various super powers (as well as genetic deformities and such). This led to selective breeding and control of who can go through the Terrigen Mist exposure and when.

Their King is Blackbolt, who has a supersonic scream ability. He can also channel his powers inward for super strength, speed, concussive blasts and the ability to fly.

Now although Blackbolt is on my short list of possibilities for Star Lord's dad, he's nowhere near my top pick. That actually goes to, at this time, Starfox.

But, the Terrigen Mist is the focus of this discussion. The truth is that the writers could use the Terrigen Mist and apply it to whatever story/characters they want. They could apply it to the Eternals of Titan if they wanted to, especially since these two groups are related in a way. In fact, it turns out that the Kree only experimented to make the Inhumans after they found and experimented on an Eternal, discovering that they originated from Earth.

Also the fact that it was the Celestials who created the Eternals, and the fact that we've been introduced to the Celestials when we visited Nowhere in Guardians, shows the possibility for this connection making it into a movie.

So what I am ultimately surmising is that the Terrigen Mist could end up being used as one of the Infinity Stones. The question is which one would it be. Since it grants powers it would make sense if it was the Power Stone, but supposedly (as explained above) that's the one we saw in Guardians. So which are left?

- Time
- Soul
- Mind (if it's not Loki's Staff)

I have a feeling that the Soul Stone will be a focal point for Doctor Strange and/or Adam Warlock (who could make his way into the next Guardians).

Not sure which of these the Terrigen Mist would be right for, but the point is that the Mist seems like something that could be a plot point and a Stone. Do you guys agree?

Last edited:
Soul Gem is the name of one of the Gems...they are called Infinity Gems

The point is that instead of these artificats being just some small stone in the Marvel Movieverse, they instead have been something more. Now looking at different powerful substances from the comics one that seems like it would play very well into the possibility of being one of the movieverse's Infinity Stones is the Terrigen Mist.

(snip...)

Not sure which of these the Terrigen Mist would be right for, but the point is that the Mist seems like something that could be a plot point and a Stone. Do you guys agree?
Maybe... But I was rewatching T:TDW the other day, and I picked up a line from Odin about the stones. He says that the Aether's fluid form is unlike the others, which are stones. I forget if it's outright stated, but it seems to be, at the very least, strongly implied that all the others are actually solid stone in form. Although I suppose that could be retconned if needed.

Second point is that if the mists grant powers to a Kree science experiment, it seems plausible that the mists would be an invention of Kree science. Perhaps a neural activator or a mutagenic agent of some sort (yes, I know, they can't say "mutant").

Soul Gem is the name of one of the Gems...they are called Infinity Gems
In at least one issue of Captain Marvel (perhaps even before the "infinity gem" concept was fully developed), the six Infinity Gems are actually called "six soul gems". There's a scan of that on this page (search the page for the word "soul" to find it).

I hope they keep Inhumans Inhumans and don't try to pass them off as Mutants or use a similiar name, they sold that term and concept of Mutants, Fox could and should sue them if they try a sneaky workaround cheat.

Personally I hope the mist isn't a gem or stone or whatever, I'd like the Inhumans to be out of the Inifinity gauntlet set-up.

One thing that I find interesting though is I can't see the Agengers beating Thanos if he has the power to snap his fingers and send them to another dimension or turn their bodies inside out or simply imagine them out of existence or from time itself. They're gonna have to seriously neuter the power levels which will prove difficult give how powerful each of the stones/gems have been so far

Last edited:
^ I expect it will be similar to what happened in the comics. At least, as far as the way they finally won.

Once Thanos wins he leaves his mortal form and becomes a cosmic force (eternity's replacement). Nebula seizes on the opportunity and steals the guantlet from Thanos' mortal form.

Adam Warlock enters the soul gem and through the connection to the other gems causes them to overload, forcing Nebula to remove the Guantlet.

Adam Warlock is left with the Infinity Guantlet and wanting to be "perfect" expunges all good and bad from himself. The Living Tribunal appears and decides Adam is too unstable to weild the power and makes it so the stones no longer work together. Adam then creates the Infinity Watch to guard the stones.

So effectively you're right, Thanos was not defeated, but he made the mistake of letting someone else (Nebula), who could be defeated, gain access to the power.

You got it Super Jim! It will most likely be like the comics, Thanos will beat himself like he usually does, because deep down in his subconscious he knows he's not worthy of it. It's Thanos' only weakness.

you can clearly see all the six stones on a holographic screen while The Collector tells the guardians about the stones.

You got it Super Jim! It will most likely be like the comics, Thanos will beat himself like he usually does, because deep down in his subconscious he knows he's not worthy of it. It's Thanos' only weakness.

Eh, He will probably be beat in the movies

you can clearly see all the six stones on a holographic screen while The Collector tells the guardians about the stones.

Yeah. The stones are definitely inside the objects, like the tesseract.

The aether must be the reality stone, small gem like on the screen. But because the asgardians and elves didn't know what it was, it starts to defy known reality, or something like that. I bet

Right, but the Aether and Tesseract are confirmed to be stones so I don't think it stretches reason that since their creation they have been manipulated in some way to appear as something else entirely

Right, but the Aether and Tesseract are confirmed to be stones so I don't think it stretches reason that since their creation they have been manipulated in some way to appear as something else entirely

that's what i also thought. but it was quite nice to see all six stones in one pic.

My guess is that once Thanos has all six stones and the guantlet (I wonder if they will maintain the concept of the guantlet being in Odin's treasury, or wherever) the different things will enter into the stone itself.

If memory serves, the guantlet we saw appeared to have the stones on it, so maybe the power of the six things (cube, aether, etc.) will drain into the stones.

My guess is that once Thanos has all six stones and the guantlet (I wonder if they will maintain the concept of the guantlet being in Odin's treasury, or wherever) the different things will enter into the stone itself.

If memory serves, the guantlet we saw appeared to have the stones on it, so maybe the power of the six things (cube, aether, etc.) will drain into the stones.

I don't see why they wouldn't. Thanos going to Asgard and breaking in to get the gauntlet would sure be an awesome scene.

Totally agree. Makes me wonder if that would happen during Avengers 2 (after credit scene) or in Thor 2 (my best guess), though again, would it be part of the main story or in an after/mid credit scene?

Would Loki just give the guantlet away?

Well, looks like they decided to use the Terrigen Mist in Agents of Shield.

That makes it unlikely that it will relate to the Infinity Crisis...

Am glad they at least used the Terrigen Mist in the MCU.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"