Superman II Thanks To Richard Donner & Company For Superman 2: Director's Cut

buggs0268

Superhero
Reaction score
Thank you for writing it, busting your ass making it, and going back and giving us this film. It was outstanding, minor flaws and all. Thanks again.

I could not agree more. Donnor has not only vastly improved Superman II but restored the heart and soul of the characters. That passionate kiss towards the end and the tearful exchange between Lois and Superman are what all fans have always hoped they would see. The film works because Donnor respects the material and is honest with the characters. What a fitting tribute to both Christopher Reeves and Richard Donnor himself. I only wish Chris could have been here to see it. He would have been proud. Mr. Donnor I can never thank you enough for your vision because it reveals your true love for the characters and the actors who portray them.

Every flaw I saw in this film could be attributed to the fact that it wasn't finished in the first place. The movie feels disjointed and the Lester version is more cohesive, but how the hell could it not be? Funny thing is, I thought I would be relieved to actually see the Donner version, but in truth I'm actually more angry than ever because I now see just how truly great this movie could have been if it had been finished, and connected to Superman: The Movie. Imagine if Donner had used the "turn the world" back on II instead of one as origniallly intended. Imagine if they hadn't had to use the screen test for Lois finding out Clark is Superman, and actually shot a real scene. Imagine if Superman I and II had been made as one complete cohesive story and movie experience. Then imagine Donner had been able to make a trilogy like he'd intended. OMG, I wanna cry just thinking about it!

Oh, and I fully concur. Dick, Tom, and Michael, thank you soooo very much. And I thought it was incredibley classy that Donner made an intro thanking the internet fans who fought to get this cut released. :up:

Thank god indeed.

Superman II...is now the second best comic based movie. Superman the movie is top....and I always had trouble with Supes II...until now. All the truely stupid crap is gone......this goes perfectly with the first one. They are like one big movie (as in the Lord of the Rings films)......fantastic.

Thanks, guys! Superman II is great. Too bad you never finished it.

Hmm... now I have to buy this if C.Lee likes it. It'll be a nice addition to my Superman II fan edits. thanks

Wesyeed said:
Hmm... now I have to buy this if C.Lee likes it. It'll be a nice addition to my Superman II fan edits. thanks
Yes....ZOD commands it!!!!

I just saw it, and my first impression is it may just be as good as S:TM (which I also loved). Thanks are in order, and it was a great dedication to Christopher Reeve. I also wish he could have seen it.

A HUGE "Thank You" to Mr. Donner and Co. for the wonderful gift that Superman II: The Donner Cut truly is! I have normally ranked STM in the top spot and Spidey II in the second spot. But now SDC just might squeeze the wall crawler out of that position! If you don't already have your copy, run out and get it, this is definitely a "must see" for every Superman and superhero fan!

The thing that surprised me about this movie is that not only were Reeve and Brando great, I kinda expected they would be, but Kidder is really great as Lois in this as well. She is extremely likable in this movie.

Haven't seen it yet, but yes, thank you to all of those people who worked their butts off to get this film made. :):up:

Lighthouse said:
The thing that surprised me about this movie is that not only were Reeve and Brando great, I kinda expected they would be, but Kidder is really great as Lois in this as well. She is extremely likable in this movie.
I think Hackman was hilarious!

Thank you, Mr. Donner & company. Your version was better than Lester's take. Too bad you never finished it.

Lighthouse said:
Kidder is really great as Lois in this as well. She is extremely likable in this movie.

Somehow (and I say this cause it was shot together with Superman 1) she gave her best performance. I expected her performance to be equal to Superman 1 but it's actually better. I don't know why, but it is. Plus, she looks BEAUTIFUL in this movie. Margot Kidder has always been my favorite Lois...performance-wise...but I never found her to be that attractive. I think Teri Hatcher, Erica Durance, and Kate Bosworth are a million times hotter than Kidder. But, here she looks AMAZING! During the opening scene in which she discovers that Clark is Superman she makes this face in shock and delight and she just looked so beautiful. I was like...WOW! And, she also looked great in the screen-test.

I like how there's more range in Zod's character. He's more intelligent now!

I just want to say a very big thank you to Richard Donner, Tom Mankiewicz, and Michael Thau.

It was truly wonderful to see Superman II as it had been intended to be seen originally. Even though the film hadn't been finished and has been hidden away for the past 30 years, you've managed to create a movie that stands as one of the best comic book adaptations ever created in my opinion. It is a real credit to you all. :super:

CGHulk said:
I like how there's more range in Zod's character. He's more intelligent now!

I liked how he got the machine gun and started shooting people at the white house. :woot: That smile on his face was priceless.

Catman said:
I liked how he got the machine gun and started shooting people at the white house. :woot: That smile on his face was priceless.
You mean this smile. :D

^ General Zod. With a machine gun. Pure awesomeness. :up:

:yay: :yay: :yay: :heart: :heart: :heart: OH yessss... I can't wait to get this.

I quite enjoyed the new version. Great unseen scenes of Chris and margot.

My only complaint --, they didnt show any emotion between Clark and Lois prior to them flying off for that sleep over at the Fortress. I think that's the only thing lacking. Lois was so unattached from him emotionally. It could have used her looking adoringly at him..something. It was just rather abrupt to go from shooting him , Gotcha..to a romantic sleepover.

(Plus, some of my favorite scenes like the shirt ripping as he heads to paris werent there. And the reporting to the President. I cant imagine why they couldnt add in that scene , into the movie, with Jimmy and Clark at the elevator. One of my favorites from the 1980's network version

Also, is that really margot standing off in the superman shirt at the fortress? I know Ive seen posed shots of Margot like that. But somehow that didnt quite look like her back there and they never showed a close up to give viewers an impression that she's moved by what Clark is doing and saying (as the Lester version had.)

(the screen tests scene was very clean and not bothersome.)

It was interesting to watch restoring The Vision and seeing how Donner still hurts from being replaced. I Liked his comment that he and Tom discuss what an awesome series of films they could have made. (Is it really too late Dick?? Lots of directors are older than you. Think about it!!!) Although we no longer have the extraordinary Chris Reeve to make Superman live, breathe, emote. You can see it in his eyes in every scene, that he nails the exact emotion. (If he had gotten shot in the eye with a bullet he would have shown alot of anger, power..you would have known that guy had gone too far.) LOL

EL

chrisgc.jpg

Once a girl's seen Superman in action, Niagara Falls kinda leaves you cold.

The smile on Zod's face when he shoots the machine gun is worth the price of admission.

matthooper said:
The smile on Zod's face when he shoots the machine gun is worth the price of admission.

But see...this is what good directing is. Terence Stamp pretty much gave the same performance in both movies. Yet he's better in this version because of little touches like that.

Catman said:
Wesyeed is FINALLY pleased. :word:

Oh, I'll find something to complain about. I'll guarantee you that...:supes:

But zod smiling while murdering people... yes... that pleases me.:woot:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"