Superman II The Official Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut Discussion/News Thread!!!!

Kevin Roegele said:
There is an awesome sequence, which will inevitably be someone's avatar eventually, of Zod grabbing a machine gun - and grinning as he fires it!

:woot:

I got this movie the other day and I made the right choice. Finally, a Superman II that I can watch. For the longest time, even before I heard of a Donner version of II, I could not watch it. It just didn't look right and was off and wrong.

Now with the REAL version, the villians are menacing and do kill people instead of being jack*sses, the camp is little to none and has humor like STM, the scene where Lois shoots Clark (despite it being screen tests) was better than just Clark tripping to reveal him as Superman, and because Brando/Jor-El was back there were no plot-holes like the last time. This was better and MAKES SENSE.

Just in case someone asks, people have said there was a plot hole in the end after Superman turns the world back and he, as Clark, goes to the diner. Many complained that it doesn't make sense because why would Clark even go back if they aren't suppose to remember him? Well that guy was a bully, and someone needed to teach him a lesson, and the others might've thought Clark was "someone that wanted to get back at that guy". That's my only answer. And if they did remember Clark, they would've mention it. "I had this joint fixed up, it cost me a fortune" probably meant the guy had to fixed some things of the diner and didn't want it to get damaged over that bully guy. It still works.

Thank you, Richard Donner and Tom Mankiewicz. Finally a Superman II I can watch.

Yes, this is just one of those movies I could watch again and again and not get tired of it.

And ha ha ha, kevin. ;) :p

Lazlo Panaflex said:
I noticed a few minor things:

Is it my ears or does Chris Reeve sound sort of British as he's talking to Jor-El about loving Lois?

Margot Kidder looked way hotter in Donner's scenes and not so boney as in Lester's version.
I believe she got into an accident between the shooting of STM/Donner 2 and Lester's 2. That is why I believe.

See, I don't get why tons of folks actually like Donner's version of the White House attack; it just seems so cmapy when comapred to the theatrical version. I mean, Zod refers to a gun as a "crude noisemaker", but then picks one up during the raid and starts gleefully shooting people? That just don't mix...

Moviefan2k4 said:
See, I don't get why tons of folks actually like Donner's version of the White House attack; it just seems so cmapy when comapred to the theatrical version. I mean, Zod refers to a gun as a "crude noisemaker", but then picks one up during the raid and starts gleefully shooting people? That just don't mix...
He actually leans against the wall and casually watches as Ursa and NOn are kicking ass. A general sits back and lets his soldiers to the work. Then when the guy sticks the gun through the window, he grags and it tries it out. He is just having fun witht hat crude noisemaker. He is evil. He is just killing people with the gun and having a good time at it.

And the white house attack shows more character from the 3. Ursa waits for the guy to look up at her in a pleading way before she kicks him in the face across the room. And, again, Zod just casually leaning against the wall and crossing his legs just makes the scene for me. He is just enjoying watching a good ass whooping.

Binker said:
I got this movie the other day and I made the right choice. Finally, a Superman II that I can watch. For the longest time, even before I heard of a Donner version of II, I could not watch it. It just didn't look right and was off and wrong.

Now with the REAL version, the villians are menacing and do kill people instead of being jack*sses, the camp is little to none and has humor like STM, the scene where Lois shoots Clark (despite it being screen tests) was better than just Clark tripping to reveal him as Superman, and because Brando/Jor-El was back there were no plot-holes like the last time. This was better and MAKES SENSE.

Just in case someone asks, people have said there was a plot hole in the end after Superman turns the world back and he, as Clark, goes to the diner. Many complained that it doesn't make sense because why would Clark even go back if they aren't suppose to remember him? Well that guy was a bully, and someone needed to teach him a lesson, and the others might've thought Clark was "someone that wanted to get back at that guy". That's my only answer. And if they did remember Clark, they would've mention it. "I had this joint fixed up, it cost me a fortune" probably meant the guy had to fixed some things of the diner and didn't want it to get damaged over that bully guy. It still works.

Thank you, Richard Donner and Tom Mankiewicz. Finally a Superman II I can watch.

:up: Good post

Two questions:

Why did Warner's use the Thorne superman 2 soundtrack on the menu for the DVD? Isn't that kind of a slap in the face to Donner?

Why is Bill cosby picture on the wall in the chief's office? It is in both versions behind Zod as he says "Kneel before Zod" to get him after Superman flies off of the flag pole outside the window. Why Bill Cosby?

Bill Cosby. Hm. Now we know which one of us needs an intervention.

Bill Cosby, finally we meet. Now, kneel before Zod.

Moviefan2k4 said:
Zod calls the gun "a crude noisemaker" when it shoots him after he first arrives at Earth (and he being invulnerable feels nothing)....it isn't until later that he sees that it can affect "the puny humans"....so takes glee in using their puny weapons against them.

C. Lee said:
Zod calls the gun "a crude noisemaker" when it shoots him after he first arrives at Earth (and he being invulnerable feels nothing)....it isn't until later that he sees that it can affect "the puny humans"....so takes glee in using their puny weapons against them.
Yeah. He is having fun with this new toy that kills the puny humans. And also, I am not sure if that puny noisemaker is in the original Mank script, but that scene was directed by Lester. I believe Donner had to keep it in for continuity of the story.

buggs0268 said:
He actually leans against the wall and casually watches as Ursa and NOn are kicking ass. A general sits back and lets his soldiers to the work. Then when the guy sticks the gun through the window, he grags and it tries it out. He is just having fun witht hat crude noisemaker. He is evil. He is just killing people with the gun and having a good time at it.

And the white house attack shows more character from the 3. Ursa waits for the guy to look up at her in a pleading way before she kicks him in the face across the room. And, again, Zod just casually leaning against the wall and crossing his legs just makes the scene for me. He is just enjoying watching a good ass whooping.

Well said. :yay:

buggs0268 said:
Why is Bill cosby picture on the wall in the chief's office? It is in both versions behind Zod as he says "Kneel before Zod" to get him after Superman flies off of the flag pole outside the window. Why Bill Cosby?

I've always wondered that! :huh:

Zod takes a shotgun from the deputy sheriff, but a machine gun in the White House. A shotgun would seem quite crude compared to a machine gun.

I don't even know why we're trying to justify this. It's General Zod...with a gun! General Zod...with a gun! It's awesome, and not only that, but it also makes him seem so much more cruel and sadistic.

Why do people nit-pick its so annoying just enjoy the f**king film.

BH/HHH said:
Why do people nit-pick its so annoying just enjoy the f**king film.

I know, oh dear something doesn't quite make sense in the land of make-believe. Who gives a s**t?

Where is the damn Bill Cosby pic? You guys are kiddin', right? I watched the whole damn movie again and found no Bill Cosby pic. So, unless someone produces a screencap with said pic, I'll be forced to commit you all to Belle Reve. You maniacs.

Here you go:

BillCosby.jpg

How far did Superman reverse time? Did he reverse throwing the missiles into space? If he didn't then this will just happen again...right? I dk...I know... I know... I'm just looking too hard into this.

Maybe he reversed it just far enough to when he throws the missile out into space in Superman: The Movie, but then diverts it, to make sure it goes off in a different direction.

captain_jimbo said:
Maybe he reversed it just far enough to when he throws the missile out into space in Superman: The Movie, but then diverts it, to make sure it goes off in a different direction.

Yeah, I guess that could be. There are an infinite number of "could haves" for this movie, so there isn't any point in picking it apart, especially the world reversal scene. I think if Donner would have gotten to do it originally there wouldn't be this problem.

Superman: TM: 8.5/10
Superman II: 7.10
Superman: The Richard Donner Cut: 7/10

I dk... A lot of the cheesy humor that kind of hindered the film for me in Lester's version appeared again in the RDC, so it made it hard for me to enjoy too much. All of the new Clark and Lois stuff, and definitely the Brando footage, made it good though.

Well, I got the Donner Cut on Tuesday. First off, I have to agree with some reviewers when they said that the Donner Cut should be viewed as a supplement to the theatrical of Superman II. Without the theatrical, SII:DC would seem terribly disjointed in the middle and have some continuity issues. It just makes me wish that everything worked out with Donner and the producers so we could've had Donner's TRUE version of SII.

That said, I absolutely love this DVD, and I think a lot of people in this thread said what I wanted to say already. So rather, I'll just discuss the new scenes and what I thought of them.

The New Credit Sequence: I marked out once I saw the credits. I love what they did with the new credits and w/ John Williams' score to boot.

Lois finds out Clark Kent is Superman - Great chemistry and very fun scene. Yet, I'm very torn by this scene in general. Its MUCH better done than the Lester sequence in the middle of the theatrical cut, but I actually find it to be more of a stretch to believe a reporter would jump off a 30 story building, than to jump into the Niagra Falls. It stretches my suspension of disbelief too much. Other than that, I love the acting and the humor involved with it.

Extended Lex Luthor Prison & Escape Sequence - I saw this on TV when I was a kid, so I was happy its been restored for this cut. As for the new setting for the hot air baloon scene, I admit that I dig it.

Lex Luthor & The Fortress of Solitude: Great to see some of the old scenes on TV restored, and the Brando excerpts. Damn, it was great seeing it, and I prefer it much more than Susannah York and the bald guy reciting "Trees". I give credit to Thau for making it an interesting scene.

Lois Shoots Clark Kent - I would've loved to see how Donner would've shot this if he stayed on as Director. I think the scene worked well all things considered, and the chemistry was there from the start. I also loved the way it ended. Though I admit, the John Williams score was a little out of place when Lois pulled out the gun.

Superman Gets Stripped of His Powers - BEAUTIFUL scene. Absolutely beautiful. Brando and Reeve were awesome, and the scene is far superior than the Susannah York one.

Jor-el's Final Message - Again, another beautiful scene, and works a LOT more than the theatrical cut. I do think Reeve's "FAAATHHHERRR" shout was better in the Lester version, but the Donner scene is just leaps and above in quality.

The Metropolis Fight - I liked how they didn't insert music during the Villains' destruction of the Daily Planet. It gave it a more foreboding mood. Though I do miss, "Would you care to step outside?" I really don't get why Donner didn't keep that line. Freedom of the press makes almost no sense. That said, the whole fight sequence was a lot more serious and less campy. I enjoyed it this way.

Confrontation at The Fortress of Solitude - This scene felt anti-climactic after the Metropolis fight. Then again, maybe it only felt that way because I was so used to the fight in the Lester version. That said, its a very good scene.

Superman Destroys the Fortress - Its a very cute scene and really shows off the chemistry between the two co-stars of Reeve and Kidder.

Superman Drops off Lois at Her Apartment (Extended) - This worked a lot better with the dialogue. I always wondered in the Lester version why Lois was crying at that scene, and know we know why.

Superman Turns Back Time - Hmm . . . I'm sorry, I disliked this scene for two reasons. One, its a cop-out. Two, its been used already in part 1. Granted, it was how it was originally conceived, but I would've left in the Lester kiss.

Epilogue w/ Clark and Lois - The scene was amusing, and works solely with the idea that Superman turned back time (which is probably why Donner & Thau opted to do that). I also liked when Lois told Clark he was "super". Leaves it open to the idea "does she still know even after all that?"

This DVD is a great addition to my library, but again, its merely a supplement to the Lester version since the Donner Cut was never finished. Its such a shame we never got to see Donner do his version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"