The 25 Greatest Batman Graphic Novels!!!

While its a good read, this is Germans it was posted in June.

Does anyone know of any similar lists to this? I'm just curious about different people's opionions of what order they should be ranked.

My own top 25:
25 Batman: Dark Joker, The Wild
24 Batman/Hellboy/Starman
23 Batman: Gotham By Gaslight
22 Batman: War On Crime
21 Batman Dark Knight Archives vol. 1
20 Batman Dark Knight Archives vol. 2
19 Batman Dark Detective
18 Batman Strange Apparitions
17 Batman Tales of the Demon
16 Batman Crimson Mist
15 Batman Bloodstorm
14 Batman & Dracula: Red Rain
13 Batman Year One
12 Dark Knight Returns
11 Batman: The Cult
10 Batman/Judge Dredd Judgement On Gotham
9 Batman Black & White II
8 Batman Black & White
7 Batman Illustrated by Neal Adams vol. 2
6 Batman: Killing Joke
5 Batman In the Seventies
4 Batman Chronicles vol. 1
3 Batman Illustrated by Neal Adams vol. 3
2 Batman: Gothic
1 Batman: Arkham Asylum
(Extra) Batman: Haunted Gotham 1-4
(Extra) The Forensic Files of Batman book (not a comic, but fascinating)

I cant give you a top 25, my top 5 however are:
1. The Long Holloween
2. Batman: Year One
3. Batman: HUSH
4. Batman: Dark Knight Returns
5. Batman: Dark Victory

I haven't read most of those. Some of them shouldn't be on there (Hush) and some should be lower (Year One).

I just don't get why everyone seems to forget Batman: Faces by Matt Wagner, maybe the best Two-Face story.

Spidey-Bat said:
I haven't read most of those. Some of them shouldn't be on there (Hush) and some should be lower (Year One).
That's cool. Everybody has their own taste. I however think Year One is right where it should be.

Spidey-Bat said:

Its simply a difference in opinion, I loved Hush, I think it was a great story, had fantastic artwork and well intigrated all of the characters involved. Plus Batman beat the crap out of Superman, always a good time.

Year One is simply a masterpiece, but I can understand how some may not like it. It is not a normal comic book, it is classier than that. To me I see it almost like a play with the great narritives, the colors, the whole style of it.

theMan-Bat said:
My own top 25:
25 Batman: Dark Joker, The Wild
24 Batman/Hellboy/Starman
23 Batman: Gotham By Gaslight
22 Batman: War On Crime
21 Batman Dark Knight Archives vol. 1
20 Batman Dark Knight Archives vol. 2
9 Batman Dark Detective
18 Batman Strange Apparitions
17 Batman Tales of the Demon
16 Batman Crimson Mist
15 Batman Bloodstorm
14 Batman & Dracula: Red Rain
13 Batman Year One
12 Dark Knight Returns
11 Batman: The Cult
10 Batman/Judge Dredd Judgement On Gotham
9 Batman Black & White II
8 Batman Black & White
7 Batman Illustrated by Neal Adams vol. 2
6 Batman: Killing Joke
5 Batman In the Seventies
4 Batman Chronicles vol. 1
3 Batman Illustrated by Neal Adams vol. 3
2 Batman: Gothic
1 Batman: Arkham Asylum
(Extra) The Forensic Files of Batman book

No Long Halloween?

StorminNorman said:
Year One is simply a masterpiece, but I can understand how some may not like it. It is not a normal comic book, it is classier than that. To me I see it almost like a play with the great narritives, the colors, the whole style of it.
I agree. Year One is the first comic I can remember noticing the coloring.

souloffire said:
I agree. Year One is the first comic I can remember noticing the coloring.

Its simply a piece of art, I absolutly love it. The fact TLH is ranked aboved it should also give you my opinion on that book as well.

StorminNorman said:
No Long Halloween?

No. There's sooo many other Batman graphic novels that are great and have been overlooked by many.

StorminNorman said:
Its simply a difference in opinion, I loved Hush, I think it was a great story, had fantastic artwork and well intigrated all of the characters involved. Plus Batman beat the crap out of Superman, always a good time.

I hated the story. I LOVE Two-Face. He's my 3rd favorite villain and Hush "cured" him which was completely unnecessary and stupid (much like the death of Ra's, my 2nd fav villain). The story should have ended with Joker killing Elliot.

I like Year One. It's a good story. The problem is it is not a Batman story. It's about Gordon. Other than Gordon, it's Bruce Wayne becoming Batman. It's good but could have been better. If you group this with The Man Who Laughs (which is pretty much as direct of a sequel as it can be), it'd be on my top lists.

Spidey-Bat said:
I hated the story. I LOVE Two-Face. He's my 3rd favorite villain and Hush "cured" him which was completely unnecessary and stupid (much like the death of Ra's, my 2nd fav villain). The story should have ended with Joker killing Elliot.

Your complaints are vallid, the Two-Face being healed was unnecessary but it made for a neat little twist, no matter how gimicky. Plus in the world of comics villians are never truly gone so it really doesnt matter.

Spidey-Bat said:
I like Year One. It's a good story. The problem is it is not a Batman story. It's about Gordon. Other than Gordon, it's Bruce Wayne becoming Batman. It's good but could have been better. If you group this with The Man Who Laughs (which is pretty much as direct of a sequel as it can be), it'd be on my top lists.

I dont review it like I do other comics because its not like other comics, your right it is not a Batman (character) story, but a Batman (comic/world) story. Its a fantastic story, even though it isnt full BAM!, POW! and BIFF! Plus the art is incredible.

Batman: Ego
Broken City
Batman: Gothic

all left out, craziness!!!

My top five would be:

5.The Dark Knight Returns
4.Dark Victory
3.Arkham Asylum
2.Year One
1.The Long Haloween

I ordered Night Cries and Blind Justice, just waiting for those to arrive. Maybe they will change my list.

Batman/Deathblow: After the Fire would defenitely be in there...its the great batman story that no one ever read. i always suggest it, but no one ever checks it out....you seriously dont know the sheer awesomeness that you're missing!

1. Batman The Long Halloween
2. The Dark Knight Returns
3. Dark Victory
4. Batman Year One
5. The Killing Joke

theMan-Bat said:
No. There's sooo many other Batman graphic novels that are great and have been overlooked by many.

What? you're got to kidding me.:down

StorminNorman said:
Your complaints are vallid, the Two-Face being healed was unnecessary but it made for a neat little twist, no matter how gimicky. Plus in the world of comics villians are never truly gone so it really doesnt matter.

I hope Two-Face comes back and has a good rebirth origin. Joker and Ra's need to make a comeback as well.

I dont review it like I do other comics because its not like other comics, your right it is not a Batman (character) story, but a Batman (comic/world) story. Its a fantastic story, even though it isnt full BAM!, POW! and BIFF! Plus the art is incredible.
It's a good story that's become somewhat overrated. Not really a fan of the art though.

That's a pretty good list. Usually IGN has really bad lists and voting choices, but this was a good one.

I'm glad to see that Batman: The Cult got a really good placement on that list because it's a really good Batman story that I don't think gets enough credit.

And the top five is cool but I'd switch some things around. Dark Knight Returns, in my eyes, is the best Batman story out there right now. Year One is a step behind and The Long Halloween is right behind it...such a great story. :up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"