Homecoming "The Amazing Spider-Man 3" Rotten Tomatoes Thread

In red: I don't think screentime is the best measure as to whether something was a good villian or not. Equivalent to saying, "Kafka was a deeper villian then the Joker, as far as funny German accents go at least"

In green: Citation? I've never heard of that before. I thought they always intended to do Gwen's death, therefore Goblin, therefore Electro to keep people guessing, there was a big fuss about it in the forums.

In red: I never said he was a better villain, just more of a villain. Count the encounters they had with each other. In TASM 2 he literally had 5 minutes with the Goblin total with Gwen's kidnapping and all. Franco at least had a chase scene with him at the beginning of the movie. They had a fight in his apartment to which the side of his face got blown up. Then they had the finale together. Just saying, side by side the Raimi Harry was more of a villain to Spider-Man, IMO.

In green: Read what I wrote. "I wish they left him out of it like they originally intended." I don't see what that has to do with Gwen's death? I'm talking about Harry's character in general. I wish they left him out of the Spider-Man universe they created like they did in TASM, no mention of him at all.

Last edited:
In red: I never said he was a better villain, just more of a villain. Count the encounters they had with each other. In TASM 2 he literally had 5 minutes with the Goblin total with Gwen's kidnapping and all. Franco at least had a chase scene with him at the beginning of the movie. They had a fight in his apartment to which the side of his face got blown up. Then they had the finale together. Just saying, side by side the Raimi Harry was more of a villain to Spider-Man, IMO.

In green: Read what I wrote. "I wish they left him out of it like they originally intended." I don't see what that has to do with Gwen's death? I'm talking about Harry's character in general. I wish they left him out of the Spider-Man universe they created like they did in TASM, no mention of him at all.

I love this colour coded conversation.

In red: What is the literal distinction between "a better villian" and "more of a villian", how on earth is that different? Heck, in this context, the words are pratically synonyms. Franco's villian is certainly better, but for more reasons then just screentime, he had more development as Harry Osborn and a much better motivation to become the green goblin. I just found screentime a perplexing criterion to measure a villian with, as I'm sure some D-list villian in some film in the past 20 years has had more screentime then the Joker, does that make Captian Anti Planet the Great better than the Joker? If not, perhaps screentime isn't an accurate criterion for judging villians, just ponder that.

In Green: When you said "I wish they left him out of it like they originally intended." I assumed you meant they left him out of the film, since we're in TASM2 boards. "I don't see what that has to do with Gwen's death? They never intended to leave him out, that was my point. They wanted Harry to kill Gwen, which is how it's related to Gwen's death, something Marc Webb always wanted for this film.

I love this colour coded conversation.

In red: What is the literal distinction between "a better villian" and "more of a villian", how on earth is that different? Heck, in this context, the words are pratically synonyms. Franco's villian is certainly better, but for more reasons then just screentime, he had more development as Harry Osborn and a much better motivation to become the green goblin. I just found screentime a perplexing criterion to measure a villian with, as I'm sure some D-list villian in some film in the past 20 years has had more screentime then the Joker, does that make Captian Anti Planet the Great better than the Joker? If not, perhaps screentime isn't an accurate criterion for judging villians, just ponder that.

In Green: When you said "I wish they left him out of it like they originally intended." I assumed you meant they left him out of the film, since we're in TASM2 boards. "I don't see what that has to do with Gwen's death? They never intended to leave him out, that was my point. They wanted Harry to kill Gwen, which is how it's related to Gwen's death, something Marc Webb always wanted for this film.

In red: When I say, "more of a villain" I'm literally talking about more of that villain. I'm telling you exactly what meant by saying that. Take it however you choose.

In green: You misinterpreted what I said, green conversation is over.

In red: When I say, "more of a villain" I'm literally talking about more of that villain. I'm telling you exactly what meant by saying that. Take it however you choose.

In green: You misinterpreted what I said, green conversation is over.

In red: Leeeeet's just pull back to the actual context of the original quote.

Do people really consider Harry a villain? He was blinded by his personal vendetta against Spider-Man, but helped save MJ in 2 and both Peter and Mary Jane in 3.

How did he help save MJ in 2? By sending Otto after Peter and almost killing her in the process?
And he was more of a villain than Harry was in TASM 2, as far as screen time goes anyways. TASM 2 ruined Harry for me... I wish they left him out of it like they originally intended.

So, in asserting that Harry was a villian, we point to the fact that he had more screentime than TASM2 harry? Isn't that, by attempting to assert Harry's status as a villian, effectively identifying the screentime as a quality of a villian? As we imply that he was more of something than something else. (More of SM-Harry than ASM-Harry) You're comparing two things based on quanitity to identify something, hence, you're attributing screentime as an actual measurement or parameter in the measurement of a characters status as a villian.

I think, as the statement was originally intended, we're saying that screentime is a factor in measuring whether something is a villian or not, which, as I stated previously, is pretty odd.

Green: Funny that, I thought when you said that they originaly intended to leave him out, that you meant they originaly intended to leave him out of TASM2, which was false, but I suppose you meant the entire series? We never really have any indication that's true either, but, it doesn't really matter.

In red: Leeeeet's just pull back to the actual context of the original quote.

So, in asserting that Harry was a villian, we point to the fact that he had more screentime than TASM2 harry? Isn't that, by attempting to assert Harry's status as a villian, effectively identifying the screentime as a quality of a villian? As we imply that he was more of something than something else. (More of SM-Harry than ASM-Harry) You're comparing two things based on quanitity to identify something, hence, you're attributing screentime as an actual measurement or parameter in the measurement of a characters status as a villian.

I think, as the statement was originally intended, we're saying that screentime is a factor in measuring whether something is a villian or not, which, as I stated previously, is pretty odd.

Green: Funny that, I thought when you said that they originaly intended to leave him out, that you meant they originaly intended to leave him out of TASM2, which was false, but I suppose you meant the entire series? We never really have any indication that's true either, but, it doesn't really matter.

ibo6OdpZBbBXEk.gif

I put, "as far as screen time goes anyways". I'm literally saying he's more of a villain because he has more screen time... What aren't you understanding? Stop trying to tell me what I was trying to say.

:bdh:

Well, if that's all your saying, guess it's just good to say what I originally said, slightly modified.

I don't think screentime is the best measure as to whether something was more of a villian or not. Equivalent to saying, "Kafka was a deeper villian then the Joker, as far as funny German accents go at least"

Just wanted clarification, you might have been being sarcastic again for all I know, sorry if that offends you.

Well, if that's all your saying, guess it's just good to say what I originally said, slightly modified.

I don't think screentime is the best measure as to whether something was more of a villian or not. Equivalent to saying, "Kafka was a deeper villian then the Joker, as far as funny German accents go at least"

Just wanted clarification, you might have been being sarcastic again for all I know, sorry if that offends you.

I'm not saying I think that, "screen time is the best measure as to whether something was more of a villain or not." I'm literally saying he was in it a lot more than Dane. That's it, it has nothing to do with the quality of Goblin. Quantity only.

If critics dislike it, 33% is where I see it landing.
If critics like it, 63-73% is where I see it landing.

Regardless, this franchise has no hope when it comes to critics, considering a lot of them start off their reviews by stating the reboot is entirely unnecessary.

I'm kinda losing hope in this franchise sadly, and this is from someone who likes TASM and loves TASM2.

However, part of me still has faith in Sony to turn this around. The last thing I'd want to see is Marvel get the rights back.

If critics dislike it, 33% is where I see it landing.
If critics like it, 63-73% is where I see it landing.

Regardless, this franchise has no hope when it comes to critics, considering a lot of them start off their reviews by stating the reboot is entirely unnecessary.

I'm kinda losing hope in this franchise sadly, and this is from someone who likes TASM and loves TASM2.

However, part of me still has faith in Sony to turn this around. The last thing I'd want to see is Marvel get the rights back.
I agree with you on that. If more good news comes around the third movie then hopefully the the third movie and the franchise can be saved

I hope TASM3 is the last one. I hope it makes less money and gets poor reviews, but does good enough for Sony to reboot the film's instead of giving the rights back to Marvel.

i hope there will be more good news coming about the films that give fans of the movie and fans of spiderman some things to feel joy over

I honestly think that the third film is gonna be awful. I loved TASM 2, but this franchise is heading off in the wrong direction. Basically, even if they get a good writer, they still cannot overcome the general overcrowded feel of ASM3 (if they plan to do the Sinister Six, that is). I would love for them to just throw all of these plot lines away for a while and just focus on delivering a Spidey tale. Have Mysterio and Kraven as villains and focus on Peter's recovery. Then, you can have a back-to-basics ending in which Peter visits the Daily Bugle and meets JJJ, Robertson and Betty in person.

Perhaps the next one needs a little time to breathe. The dust has to settle on ASM 2. That is why I think the optimal release date for the next one should be in the latter half of 2017.

The franchise going back to Marvel will be the best thing to happen to Spider-Man since SM2.

I don't know about that. Sony has gave us great in the past and even in the present. I know I'm one of the few that like TASM 2. I think we just need to wait for the third film. In all seriousness, people say TASM 1 was to dark for Spider-man (I actually thought it was the perfect tone) and people say that TASM 2 was to cheesy so really think TASM 3 could have the best tone all around. Not to mention I think Sony defiantly should of learned from their mistakes this time. Plus, after Marvel got the animation rights back to Spider-man and made Ultimate Spider-man, I don't trust them at all

In the last ten years Sony has given us three substandard Spider-Man films and two horrible Ghost Rider films. Excuse me if I'm not exactly patient. One mistake I can forgive, but five in a row?

Sony needs to show something before they deserve the benefit of a doubt again.

I don't know about that. Sony has gave us great in the past and even in the present. I know I'm one of the few that like TASM 2. I think we just need to wait for the third film. In all seriousness, people say TASM 1 was to dark for Spider-man (I actually thought it was the perfect tone) and people say that TASM 2 was to cheesy so really think TASM 3 could have the best tone all around. Not to mention I think Sony defiantly should of learned from their mistakes this time. Plus, after Marvel got the animation rights back to Spider-man and made Ultimate Spider-man, I don't trust them at all

2002 was a good year, 2004 was a great year. It's been 10 years...

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"