The Amazing Spider-Man 2 The Amazing Spiderman 2 - User Review Thread! - SPOILERS! - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that would've been better. They should've included it as a shirt on the Blu Ray.

The Forgetting his name thing is basically the straw that broke the camels back. And it wasn't just that.

Basically Max is nuts, like verging on split-personality. He imagines Spidey as his best-friend, he builds up this false relationship and history between the two of them, and when he sees Spidey again and he doesn't remember him and he looks to the crowd to see people supporting a person whom he feels has lied to and betrayed him it sets him off.

It basically takes the Syndrome/Nigma/Killian character and takes it to another level. They were rejected by the person they admired and then wanted to be that person but better and rub it in their faces. Max doesn't want to be Spider-Man he just wanted a friend and like many in real life he became obsessed with a Celebrity.

It's like anything else. If you take it as face value and just focus on "How could you forget me" then it's easy to dismiss. But if you look at all the scenes of Max and look into his character it makes sense for his character to lash out.

He knew, he just wasn't fool enough to use it. Harry was impatient and desperate.

Thanks for the explaination.

But the Norman thing, I don't know. If Norman knows about the Venom in Oscorp, he would have most likely save himself from dying.

Especially since he spent so many years with Peter's dad , trying to research and find a cure for his disease.

And the Rhino, he reminds me of Juggernaut from X Men: The Last Stand. A very typical brawns without brains kind of a villain.

Good to see some positivity here, I'm getting sick & tired to read the other thread, like RT score, etc, the movie gets so much unwarranted hate, I do not understand at all the complaints.

Let's keep it going ! For Electro, I'm surprised how well his character is handled, it's a clear, simple arc, and I really enjoyed most of all Max Dillon, and how they quickly establish in minimal screentime who that guy is, it's well done.

I liked his character development. The parents subplot was also pretty intriguing.

Something else that kinda annoyed me, that I forgot to mention in the review, was the "performance art" nature of the heroes and villains in the movie. The crowds would gather around for Spider-Man VS Electro or Spider-Man VS Rhino, and Spider-Man will do something heroic, and then both hero and villain will stop their fight to let Spidey look around and milk all the cheers. Similarly, the bad guy would do something, then both would stop to allow the villain to act up to the crowds booing him and shouting "YOU SUCK! YOU BIG JERK!" I don't know about you, but if a terrifying mutated guy with big-time electrical powers was on the loose in Times Square, I wouldn't be heckling him. These scenes often felt less like a high-stakes battle and more like a pro wrestling match.

And that was something else I didn't like about Electro's character, that his turn into full-blown evil comes from the crowd cheering Spider-Man and booing/insulting Electro. And all the screens on Times Square suddenly switch to Spider-Man. Felt really contrived and heavy-handed.

The villains were terrible. But one of the few things I really liked about this movie is how Spidey would interact with them and feed off their anger and the crowd. I actually loved the "I'll be right there" on the megaphone while the crowd cheers him on. Very much, a man of the people, which describes Peter Parker's appeal. Same goes for Times Square where he teams with the NYFD in a way that does not feel corny like the bridge scene in SM1 or the flag in SM3.

Still, did not stop the villains from sucking.

But the Norman thing, I don't know. If Norman knows about the Venom in Oscorp, he would have most likely save himself from dying.

Good point, being so near there's nothing to lose by trying really.

And the Rhino, he reminds me of Juggernaut from X Men: The Last Stand. A very typical brawns without brains kind of a villain.

Pretty much, since he's like that in the comics I s found it fitting

Actually I really don't mind Gwen dying in this movie if they have made Green Goblin the main villain.

But since they choose Electro as the main villain, I would have prefer they save the death of Gwen for the third movie.

Because having Harry/Goblin suddenly shows up towards the end to kidnap Gwen and killing her , it feels very rushed and it's like we don't get to see much of the Goblin at all except in that scene only.

Reminds me of the Venom situation in Spiderman 3.

The parents subplot was also pretty intriguing.

To me, it just seemed a much too elaborate way to drive the point home that Oscorp were bad guys... while also removing the sense that Peter is a regular everyday kid who just happened to be bitten by a spider. Not a fan of that storyline at all, it just seems like dead weight to me.

I liked his character development. The parents subplot was also pretty intriguing.

See, I actually really enjoyed the "mystery of Peter's parents" angle in the first film. It gave the film something different to set it apart from the previous franchise, and I thought an overarching conspiracy with corporate espionage and genetic experimentation was a really interesting world within which to ground a new Spider-Man meta-narrative to sustain a few films. But I don't think it gelled so well in this second film, it felt a bit awkward amidst the more broad, cartoony stuff, and the mystery and ambiguity was traded for overt reveals and wrapping it up in a kinda pat and simple way.

Really? I don't really know anything about the Rhino from the comics.

I just based my opinion on the movie itself.

Rhino is a strange character in the comics. Half the time he's just written as a generic dumb bruiser, like this. But when he's written really well, he's actually really well developed, and one of my favourite villains in comics. He has at times been presented as a sympathetic figure, a blue-collar criminal who has morals and ethics, but constantly finds himself working as the bad guy because it's the only thing he's good at and the world won't let him change.

The thing i totally forgot about was uncle ben's killer in TASM . Not one word of that revenge story in this on . With having that picture as his focusing point before the credits rolled in i would of thought they would of had abit of insight.Mind you with the amount of crap they edited out it doesn't surprise me it wasn'nt explored.

Yeah they just dropped it, no time for it I guess, plus it's not that interesting, it's been explored before in Spidey 1, then Spidey 3.

2233864-4062d1330549361-enhance-workouts-juicing-1617295_i_see_what_you_did_there_holysmurf_super_re_sharenator_community_unite-s444x475-150637-5.jpg

:word:

Actually I really don't mind Gwen dying in this movie if they have made Green Goblin the main villain.

But since they choose Electro as the main villain, I would have prefer they save the death of Gwen for the third movie.

i think fans can be blamed for gwens [BLACKOUT]death[/BLACKOUT] in TASM2, there just wasn't enough to sell green goblin being the main villain because it would just get compared to raimis so they had to have another villain they could market that hasn't been used before, but from what i noticed people were saying how annoyed they would be if she didn't die this film because they wanted to see it so bad, so sony gave fans what they wanted but i always say sometimes what fans want isn't always good for the film

Last edited:
Yeah, they did a similar thing with MJ in Spidey 1, even though she lived, they're doing something different and I like that, they have to, otherwise, what's the point.

Honestly, that whole part is done beautifully, I just feel so broken down thinking about it, people like hating on the movie globally, but they could at least acknowledge how incredible the direction is in that scene alone, that small touch with the web is really touching & full of love & heart, the aftermath
with Peter not realizing that the speed & shock of the impact killed her, removing the webbing from her chest, almost thinking nothing of it, and realizing

It could not have been done better for me, real Green Goblin or not, I don't even care. That's why you just cannot call Webb a hack like so many are doing, that scene I think, few directors (or those who can handle the superhero genre) could have handled this way.

It is a testament to how well that scene was handled (and how invested we were in the performances of the actors) that something was so heavily telegraphed both by the plotting of the film itself and by the history of the character, and yet still we're on the edge of our seats as viewers not wanting to happen.

Here's my review. I will do a video review with the same text for my YT channel. My apologies for grammar errors.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 directed by Marc Webb and starring Andrew Garfield as the main hero has started playing in US cinemas, and has already been out throughout the world for two weeks.
This highly anticipated sequel for the 2012 summer blockbuster The Amazing Spider-Man has already earned over one hundred and thirty million dollars and the third and fourth film have already been announced alongside two spin off films with Venom and Sinister Six.
This is a non-spoiler review of the movie, so you can relax. Spolier review, which will be longer, is also coming out very soon.
As you probably know, in this installment, Peter Parker enjoys his life as Spider-Man. Everybody in the New York City loves him. In the costume, he's confident and invincible. But, his private life is way complicated as he wants to keep promise which he gave to late father of his girlfriend Gwen Stacy about leaving her out of his dangerous vigilante job. When his old companion Harry Osborn comes back to town and mysterious villains Electro and Rhino emerge, his life will be even more busier.
Personally, for me, the first film from Marc Webb series was satisfying, OK summer popcorn movie. It had it's moments, ups and downs, but it was generally pleasing and served as a great introduction to the new exciting franchise.
I had high expectations for this movie, and, judging by the trailers, I thought this one will be a movie driven by the action. But, trailers can very easily trick us, and they exactly did that in my case.
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is two and a half hours long movie, for some people too much. But, it's interesting how fast it goes when you figure out that there is actually very little amount of action and adrenalyne in the movie. If you've seen the trailers, you basically have seen about 75 percent of action that's actually in the movie. For some other film, it wouldn't be bad, but for Spider-Man? Hell yeah.
The second problem with this movie is the script. The script for the first The Amazing Spider-Man wasn't perfect and it had many plot holes, but if you compare her to this one, the things that happen there are much more connected than in TASM2. This movie wants to tell us so much many stuff so it loses in it and fails to build any significant and reasonable plot. The film is having too much subplots which are not connected at all and the film loses it. Now we don't have any main plot that will occupy our minds.
Third and the last problem I had with this movie were the villains and their motifs for doing the stuff they do in the movie. They are just unconvincing and it feels they're hating Spidey just because they need to hate him because they're villains. And, with few of them, to be precise, three, nobody stands out and nobody is the main villain. With the movie with so little bit of action nobody gets much screen time, which is strange when we realise that Electro, played by Jamie Foxx, even has a subtitle of the film in some countries and was promoted as the main villain.
What's good in this movie are definitely the two main actors and their chemistry. Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone who plays Peter's love Gwen Stacy are just brilliant. Literally, brilliant. Their relationship onscreen feels so real and sweet that you start to think that their characters are real people. Also, Dane DeHaan gives terrific performance as Harry Osborn. His character is menacing, arrogant and even scary in some scenes, and Dane does him so well. Also, the film generally did good in terms of acting – Jamie Foxx gives good performance as Max Dillon aka Electro when he's onscreen, Sally Field is excellent aunt May, Colm Feore as Donald Menken, Campbell Scott as Peter's dead father and Chris Cooper's brief appearance as Norman Osborn are also good. Paul Giamatti as Rhino is, on the other side, too goofy and campy, which is definitely not the actor's fault.
Also, the action and CGI are great, the best that we're ever seen in any Spider-Man movie. In some scenes, you'll feel like you're actually reading comic book – especially in slow-motion scenes that are visually stunning. And, in adapting comic book spirit, TASM2 gets it. Spidey's never been funnier, his movement is just like from comics, and also the looks. The soundtrack from Hans Zimmer and Magnificent Six featuring Pharrell Williams and Johnny Marr is breath-taking and you gotta love new Spider-Man theme. Also, the credit goes to Marc Webb for putting some great songs into the movie.
In general, TASM2 succeeds in adapting heart and spirit of a comic book to the big screen, but fails in giving us strong and interesting plot that will actually satisfy us. Also, there's not enough action for a superhero movie and villains are not used well.
By that, I will give this movie 3.5 webs out of 5. I'm looking forward to the future movies, expecting big improvement in the writing. The rest is generally good.

Because having Harry/Goblin suddenly shows up towards the end to kidnap Gwen and killing her , it feels very rushed and it's like we don't get to see much of the Goblin at all except in that scene only.

Reminds me of the Venom situation in Spiderman 3.
Agreed. I'd prefer that whole event to take place in 3 having been built up and set up in this film. Goblin's whole arc was just too short.

Agreed. I'd prefer that whole event to take place in 3 having been built up and set up in this film. Goblin's whole arc was just too short.

it think we saw nothing what is coming yet from his arc. I am sure Goblin will be back for TASM3 and Sinister Six (either as Norman or Harry or both). I am pretty sure we are going to see something in line where Peter start asking himself if there are two Goblin's. You dont use the most iconic Spider-man villain, whole Oscorp angle in this trilogy, and Sinister Six prelude for GG be in them maybe for 20 minutes.

Just a bunch of random thoughts.

Saw it last night. Had some great moments, but mostly felt like a chore to watch. It really does feel like a bunch of random scenes thrown together without any feeling of flow.The swinging scenes were amazing to watch in 3D, and there are some truly well-done dramatic scenes; like Harry's betrayal and Gwen's death. Mostly everyone turned in solid performances, but I think DeHaan's Osborn was the best character.

I wish they could've thrown out that parents story line, it was such a bore to watch...just unnecessary to me. Some of the action wasn't as exciting as I needed it to be either. Maybe I was just desensitized from watching clips and trailers. I did like how they got to show us 3 of Spidey's villains without it feeling crowded and messy, like in SM3. The villain I enjoyed most was Harry/ Green Goblin. Wasn't crazy about Electro, although, I thought Max was funny and Electro's delusions were interesting to watch(like the "You're so selfish..." part in Times Square). The audience seemed to really enjoy him and his powers, though. People also got a kick out of Rhino at the end. I'm interested to see more of him, but I want Giamatti to turn in a stronger performance next time.

While the movie had some strong moments, it also had some heavily cheesy moments that had me shaking my head. Like the scene with Dr. Kafka, where Max names himself Electro and gives his "World without Spider-Man" speech. *shudders* It did remind me of Raimi's cheese, but the difference is that I was to young to care at the time. Now that I'm older, scenes like that in these cbms are much harder to digest and like.

I think Raimi's Spider-Man 2 is the better made movie, and I give TASM2 a 7.5/10. The entire time watching, I couldn't stop thinking about how much of a better movie TWS was. What can I say? I really loved that movie. Now that was a sequel done right, after a lackluster first movie.

Just came back from seeing this. Some of you had me worried, but I really enjoyed it. Max (pre-Electro) was a bit too much, as was Kafka, but other than that I thought it was good.

Just came back from seeing this. Some of you had me worried, but I really enjoyed it. Max (pre-Electro) was a bit too much, as was Kafka, but other than that I thought it was good.

Nice. I'm glad you liked it.

it think we saw nothing what is coming yet from his arc. I am sure Goblin will be back for TASM3 and Sinister Six (either as Norman or Harry or both). I am pretty sure we are going to see something in line where Peter start asking himself if there are two Goblin's. You dont use the most iconic Spider-man villain, whole Oscorp angle in this trilogy, and Sinister Six prelude for GG be in them maybe for 20 minutes.
I meant his arc in this film (having the Gwen event happen here was too soon in Harry's development for me and led to this film being more crammed than I'd wanted and overall less impressive to me) ...but what you said is good to know. I hadn't followed the build up to this film much or kept up with the news about the future films so I hope it works out like you say in the next few films. :up:

I did love Garfield's general day to day wisecracking Spidey stuff in this though, best we've seen of that in any Spidey film to date.

while also removing the sense that Peter is a regular everyday kid who just happened to be bitten by a spider.

Peter was just an ordinary kid who got bit by a spider. The fact that his father created the spiders with his own DNA has nothing to do with Peter. This is not a Hulk situation where Richard Parker was experimenting on his son. Richard Parker didn't force Peter to walk into the room full of spiders, the element of random chance in Spidey's origin is still there. The only difference is that if someone else had been bitten by that spider it would have just made them sick. Peter Parker wasn't destined to be Spider-Man, it just so happens that his father designed the spiders which gave him his powers. Not once do they ever bring up the idea that Peter was destined to be Spider-Man in this film.

Last edited:
I meant his arc in this film (having the Gwen event happen here was too soon in Harry's development for me and led to this film being more crammed than I'd wanted and overall less impressive to me) ...but what you said is good to know. I hadn't followed the build up to this film much or kept up with the news about the future films so I hope it works out like you say in the next few films. :up:

I did love Garfield's general day to day wisecracking Spidey stuff in this though, best we've seen of that in any Spidey film to date.

well in movie Harry said "they are just starting it" when Mr. Fries come into his cell, and dont forget line in same scene "it comes and goes", also death of Norman is suspicious as i dont say what.

Just back from my second viewing, wasn't intending on another but my dad hadn't seen it and we always go to cbm movies together,

Sadly it doesn't get any better. In fact it gets kinda worse when you know the story a lot of the minor faults become more apparent and the major ones scream in your face

Pros

The 3d is superb, my first screening was 2d and the web slinging and mid air fights are amazing
Emma stone steals the movie as I said before I can not stand gwen as a character but she actually made me enjoy her

Cons

The rhino, I didn't give much thought to him before as it's essentially a glorified cameo, but Jesus Christ that was painful to watch, a poor design but the actor who's name escapes me at the moment left no scenery unchecked and it wasn't even good ham. I kept expecting him to ask dr evil if he could coat spider-mans dong in gold

The story is far to convoluted and doesn't flow. Even with knowing what's coming it still seems to just be a random bunch of scene that have been put together with a lot missing

The goblin is just a a waste, yeah there is impact with the death of hewn but otherwise he's has little to no real reason to be there. He's been forced in. It may have been better to save him and the death for the third movie. At least them may have been able to fix the design

Electro may have been the most interesting villain of he piece when he was finally a villain. I know what they were trying but I just couldn't feel any sympathy for max. Especially the second time it was just a case of come on I know some people are bad but that was nothing but a low stereotype.

Why the hell did gwen need to be there at the power plant, she claims she knows how to reboot the grid, it was a damn switch my granny could have rebooted that damn thing

Also a lot of people on here say we don't know if Norman is dead as we don't see the body, umm yes we do, when his death is announced they show a bunch of medical staff cleaning up, you can see he shape of Normans head just above the footer of the dead, he'll a nurse can be seen using a torch to look at his face

I'll leave it at that because otherwise I feel I'll just be repeating what I posted after my first viewing, Sadly though I don't want them to making spider-man films I have little excitement for the S6 or the asm3 if this the style of thought process

2 movies so far that have been kinda subpar with a lot of wasted potential .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back