The Amazing Spider-Man 2 The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - User Review Thread! - SPOILERS! - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm saying for all movies in general, not just this one. I despise that studios continue to pull this bullcrap, especially as frequently as they do. I don't want a Director's Cut DVD, I WANT THE DIRECTOR'S CUT IN THE DANG THEATER OPENING DAY!
Nothing made me angrier then seeing the Director's Cut of Kingdom of Heaven. A great film imo. A great film I never saw in theaters. What I saw in theaters was a cutdown, mediocre film. The only really acceptable example imo was the LotR. That stuff was incredible fan service.

To fatten their wallets. Deleted scenes are used as a gimmick to sell DVD's now a days
Oh I know that. And it is embarrassing and crap. It shows a lack of artistic integrity. Nolan's Batman didn't need deleted scenes. Whedon cut scenes because they didn't work for him.

Nothing made me angrier then seeing the Director's Cut of Kingdom of Heaven. A great film imo. A great film I never saw in theaters. What I saw in theaters was a cutdown, mediocre film. The only really acceptable example imo was the LotR. That stuff was incredible fan service.

I remember seeing Kingdom of Heaven when it came to DVD first on pay per view (at the time). My brother and I hated that with a firey passion. I was angry because Ridley Scott is one of my favorite director's and I was beyond disappointed. Years later I found out it had a DC, and I wanted nothing to do with it. I eventually caved and saw it...borderline masterpiece. I was made even more angry.

I agree on LOTR. Honestly, the extended are basically the same. Except for Saruman's death. That should have been in it. But, if they do that this film...shame on you Sony!

First, that entire plotline was poorly conceived. All his scenes are goofy and poorly written. He unnaturally narrates to himself all the time! I know I never really cared about his struggle. Yeah, guy had to work on his birthday. But, he was already creepy and off putting. No one feels bad for the creepy guy. The fact THIS was what led him down the path to evil is weak. They had a blank canvas basically to work with for Electro, and the plot they came up with was cliche, poorly written, and jarred the narrative to a signifcant extent.

Honestly, if they had not developed him at all and made him someone Norman Osborn experimented on before he died and used him as muscle (later maybe Harry teams up with him once he finds out about him), the movie would have been better. No poorly used screentime on him, and you could have further developed Harry's subplot and done more with Peter's interpersonal relationships and maybe given the dumb parents plot a better ending. Instead, Max Dillon sings happy birthday to himself in an awful scene, and no one cares. Not good use of the screen.

To each his own. I thought he was handled just fine and developed just fine and I personally felt sorry for him on many occasions. He wasn't off putting to anyone face to face. All of his interactions with people were fairly normal. His scene with Gwen was awkward, but only because we know how messed up he is, not because of what he's saying to her in the scene itself. He just comes off like a dork, nothing more.

I remember seeing Kingdom of Heaven when it came to DVD first on pay per view (at the time). My brother and I hated that with a firey passion. I was angry because Ridley Scott is one of my favorite director's and I was beyond disappointed. Years later I found out it had a DC, and I wanted nothing to do with it. I eventually caved and saw it...borderline masterpiece. I was made even more angry.

I agree on LOTR. Honestly, the extended are basically the same. Except for Saruman's death. That should have been in it. But, if they do that this film...shame on you Sony!
They have to pay for all those overtime hours for the CGI work Spider-Fan. They have to pay bills. :funny:

To each his own. I thought he was handled just fine and developed just fine and I personally felt sorry for him on many occasions. He wasn't off putting to anyone face to face. All of his interactions with people were fairly normal. His scene with Gwen was awkward, but only because we know how messed up he is, not because of what he's saying to her in the scene itself. He just comes off like a dork, nothing more.
What happened to the days of striving for greatness? Why are reduced to, "just fine" being passable these days? Forget quality, as long as the character doesn't completely and totally ruin the film, :up:.

They have to pay for all those overtime hours for the CGI work Spider-Fan. They have to pay bills. :funny:

What happened to the days of striving for greatness? Why are reduced to, "just fine" being passable these days? Forget quality, as long as the character doesn't completely and totally ruin the film, :up:.

What ruins the film for you may have the opposite effect for someone else you know?

LOL!!!!! Touche! That stuff is money :hehe:
On a slightly more serious note. If they really are looking to sell an extended cut, I am going to start worrying that Sony might end up pulling an MGM. Add the Sinister Six and Venom stuff, if they really are that desperate that is one way they could lose Spider-Man.

On a slightly more serious note. If they really are looking to sell an extended cut, I am going to start worrying that Sony might end up pulling an MGM. Add the Sinister Six and Venom stuff, if they really are that desperate that is one way they could lose Spider-Man.

That might be for the best, LOL! :oldrazz:

What ruins the film for you may have the opposite effect for someone else you know?
Which is cool. But at some point it feels like we are denying what was happening on screen. I get interpretations, but there isn't much to interpret about Max. You can like it of course, but that doesn't mean the character wasn't a certain way.

Wow there, chief. That's not what I meant. I genuinely enjoyed Electro as a villain. Plain and simple.

Nice little bit of sarcasm their with the thumbs up. That's not condescending at all.

Last edited:
Which is cool. But at some point it feels like we are denying what was happening on screen. I get interpretations, but there isn't much to interpret about Max. You can like it of course, but that doesn't mean the character wasn't a certain way.

I feel the same way about some of the criticism myself. It's all subjective and you seem to want to deny that.

I'm not saying Max is the most layered or realistic villain of the genre, but I do think there is a little more to him than people see because they're put off by his cartoony depiction.

I actually really liked this movie myself. I've got it tied with the first two Raimi films: Spider-man had the best single villain and pacing, Spider-man 2 had the most fun thanks to its extremely comic-books style and tone, but Amazing Spider-man 2 had the most ambition and largest scope, which is a home run in my book.

Now, I say that because I love me some ambition; I still think At World's End is the best POTC movie, and I'd rather have a four course meal than a high priced single issue masterpiece.

First off, all the acting in this film is excellent.

Fox pulled off a character that I wasn't convinced I would enjoy watching, and while I don't much care for Max-pre-transformation, he does it very well and then has fun giving kids frights as Electro. Electro does a lot for this film, giving us a unique and fun antagonist who helps our hero make awesome set-pieces. I even really loved the way he starts playing music while trying to kill Spider-man.

Garfield and Stone continued to nail their roles. The romance here was fun and engaging, and both show serious chops, especially at the end for Garfield. He manages to pull off a kind of relieve at being back in gear while still being just obviously broken after the climax.

Dane DeHaan makes me love his Harry and Goblin. If he has any expanded scenes on a future release, I want to see them. A great example of a deuteragonist, Harry is sympathetic and actually somewhat heroic right up until he gets betrayed by the company, and even then, the use of his transformation to make him break mentally works because of his emotive performance. I also do appreciate how this is a proto-Goblin we have right here, and I think he deserves to be compared to Defoe.

And everyone else is excellent. Moore almost made me cry, and Giamatti is a comic book character come to live who's just so much fun you can't help but smile whenever he's on screen.

The story was rushed in several parts that I want to see expanded, but overall this film shows how much fun the mythos can be when embraced fully, and the shifting tone works to engage the audience. You laugh for five minutes than they punch you in the gut.

It's good to me.

I want more.

Last edited:
I feel the same way about some of the criticism myself. It's all subjective and you seem to want to deny that.

I'm not saying Max is the most layered or realistic villain of the genre, but I do think there is a little more to him than people see because they're put off by his cartoony depiction.

Honestly, YES! His cartoony depiction IS a problem! I can't take him seriously. I can't care about him. He is just...stupid! That, to me, undermines the entire point of the character. I get WHAT they wanted to do with him. They just failed with how he was PRESENTED to us.

Well, its not all subjective. How they act a scene or read a line might be subjective, but not the actual lines themselves. Not the intent.

And what there is too Max is his cartoony depiction. They played him as a stereotypical nerd, and that is what his entire character boiled down to. It all went back to that.

Honestly, YES! His cartoony depiction IS a problem! I can't take him seriously. I can't care about him. He is just...stupid! That, to me, undermines the entire point of the character. I get WHAT they wanted to do with him. They just failed with how he was PRESENTED to us.

Again, to each his own. I'm glad the film embraced the comic booky elements because lets face, Spidey books have largely always had a level of cheese to them. And for me, I honestly don't see anything in this film as any more OTT than in the Raimi films. But I REALLY don't want to drag that conversation back again.

Well, its not all subjective. How they act a scene or read a line might be subjective, but not the actual lines themselves. Not the intent.

And what there is too Max is his cartoony depiction. They played him as a stereotypical nerd, and that is what his entire character boiled down to. It all went back to that.

Yes, it is ALL subjective. People can interpret intent just as much as delivery.

They did play him a stereotypical nerd....but a stereotypical nerd with some SERIOUS mental issues.

Only Max scene that bothered me was the elevator scene when he said "she remembers my name"

It's fine if you like it, but that doesn't stop it from being poorly handled.

Only Max scene that bothered me was the elevator scene when he said "she remembers my name"

That bothered you more than the happy birthday scene? Or the scenes as Electro where he throws out Mr. Freeze level one-liners? Hell, Max only appeared pre-transformation for like 5 minutes before being turned, Dr. Connors had more development, and that's kind of sad when you think about it.

Especially considering this is one of Marvel's longest films, and it also wasn't bogged down with an origin story.

I wasn't impress with this film. I only saw it cause my brother wanted to go, so I took him. I'm not a fan of Spider-man being reboot. At all. This film is on par with Spider-man 3 imho. A mix of boring, being meh, and slightly entertaining. It did a slightly better job at handling 3 villians than Raimi's Spidy 3 did though. Haven't seen Amazing Spider-man 1 and don't really care too at all. But I've seen worse movies, and this is better than Die Hard 5 which was more boring on a second viewing sadly. :(

Spider-man
Spider-man 2
Amazing Spider-man 2
Spider-man 3

8 and 9/10 are fighting it out in the poll thread.

8 is on 24.56 per cent with 28 votes and 9 is one 25.44 per cent with 29 votes.

There really isn't much more to say. The weaknesses of this film have long been discussed so no real need to go into much depth about them some more. I will say that everything I feared from the reviews turned out to be correct. What is truly amazing about this film is how this script managed to get green-lit as is. This is the worst movie I've paid to see in theaters in years. The only thing it really has going for it is the chemistry between the leads. Other than that, it is a complete mess. I'm just stunned at how bad this was. Unless there are some major changes at Sony, they won't get me a third time.

3/10

Mods, why is thread poll closed and why can't we view the results? This makes no sense.

Mods, why is thread poll closed and why can't we view the results? This makes no sense.

It closes automatically when the thread reaches a certain number of posts. There should be a stickied thread where you can vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"