The Amazing Spider-Man 2 The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - User Review Thread! - SPOILERS! - Part 5

In Australia I was taught not to go near it as its either poisonous or been killed by something poisonous ;)

Unless its a wombat, in which case its friends will be seeking revenge

lol. Whatever, man. I still like my analogy.

I get ya though, if its dying, may as well kill it.

If I were cheif exec of Sony I'd "salt the earth" if you will, release a final film, an adaptation of the Clone Saga and Sins past, feauturing Rhino-level villians.

I'd plummet Spider-Man's name so far into the dirt that nobody could ever make money ever again off it.

Plus, then people couldn't call TASM2 the worst CBM ever anymore.

I get ya though, if its dying, may as well kill it.

If I were cheif exec of Sony I'd "salt the earth" if you will, release a final film, an adaptation of the Clone Saga and Sins past, feauturing Rhino-level villians.

I'd plummet Spider-Man's name so far into the dirt that nobody could ever make money ever again off it.

Plus, then people couldn't call TASM2 the worst CBM ever anymore.

I suppose that's one method. lol. But I honestly don't see Sony just giving up or ruining their money-making machine, not on purpose anyway. I know you're being sarcastic but as much as ASM2 was a mess, they still can turn this thing around. It's the whole 'gimmick' idea that concerns me. And I'm not at all excited about S6 or any other spin-off film, really.

You'd be suprised mate, it literally gets called the "worst cbm ever" rather regularly

I used to think it was the worst

I forgot about Son of the Mask

TASM2 still sucks and all, but SOTM is literally the worst...so...congrats Marc Webb?:huh:

The list of "worst" comic book movies is fairly large, I mean, if we put this into perspective, is it even in the "top five" worst CBMs?

On one hand there are films that are definitely worse, but few that had as big a spotlight, budget, and so far to fall...

Most of the truly awful comic book movies are low budget garbage that no effort was put into, like Jonah Hex. It isn't really fair to compare a huge tentpole to some B-film made for like a hundred bucks.

Among comic book films that were big budget and meant to be huge blockbusters, TASM2 is one of the worst.

The list of "worst" comic book movies is fairly large, I mean, if we put this into perspective, is it even in the "top five" worst CBMs?

I would say yes. I think it's so bad and it had so much potential to be good because it had a good cast and a big budget.

I give this movie a 2/10. This is probably one of the worst movies to be made in recent times.

leaving-now-grandpa-simpsons.gif

You must be seeing a whole lot of damn good movies, then.

What's your favourite movie? :)

My favorite is TF4: AoE.

The amount of baysplosions, poorly directed emotional scenes, and terrible writing...just riveting.

hogwartsclapping.gif

It is one of the worst comic book films.

Oh I'm not denying that at all, I still despise the film, I just forgot that SOTM is one the worst. But like someone said, big budget wise, I'd probably consider TASM2 the worst.

I think in a year when you've got 3 90-ish on RT CBM's you have to raise questions about TASM2.

Imagine if TASM2 did as well as SM2?

We'd have;

TASM2: 94
GotG: 92
DoFP: 91
CA:TWS: 89

Holy moly, that's good. If only...

There are definitely comic book films that are worse than TASM2, though TASM2 might be the biggest Disappointment.

Green Lantern, the Ghost Rider films, the Fantastic 4 films, Daredevil, Batman Forever, Batman and Robin, X-Men Origins: Wolverine etc. are all worse.

Oh I'm not denying that at all, I still despise the film, I just forgot that SOTM is one the worst. But like someone said, big budget wise, I'd probably consider TASM2 the worst.

Agreed but Son of Mask had less going for it so odds were against it being good. TASM2 is worse because it had more going for it and still came out terrible.

My favorite is TF4: AoE.

The amount of baysplosions, poorly directed emotional scenes, and terrible writing...just riveting.

hogwartsclapping.gif

Lol, I haven't even seen AoE yet. I might not come out alive, if I see it.

I watched the film again yesterday, for the 3rd time (and for the first time in 3D too which was pretty nice!).

The first act/third of the film is easily the best of any Spidey film so far and (with the exception of the parents introduction) it feels perfect. Seeing THE SPIDER-MAN come to life in a film adaptation is unbeatable, especially for someone who's had Spider-Man as their favourite superhero since they were very young. It felt so perfect that, as silly as it sounds, I was actually tearing up, mainly during Gwen's speech and cutting to the Aleksei chase and Spider-Man saving the group of civilians inside the bus. It was during these moments that I'd become absorbed into the film and emotionally invested in the characters; Peter, Gwen, Aunt May etc.
I remember watching the opening chase sequence in the cinema for the first time and the experience is one I'll never forget; being instantly filled with excitement as soon as I heard the *DONG*, saw Spidey free-falling (recognising it so easily from the trailers) and having the most stupidest, widest grin on my face by just seeing Spider-Man being as Spider-Man as Spider-Man can get, swinging around the city, being quippy; it was everything you could ask for.

After that, however, everything seemed to have just fallen flat on its face. We see the birth of a villain that you usually see in your standard Spider-Man movie, we have Harry introduced and the parents sub-plot still going, the pacing feels weird and everything just gets a little boring; this films crams too much in and ends up not having the room to really move forward anywhere. The only parts of the film worth watching are the Spider-Man parts and the Peter & Gwen scenes.

I gave TASM2 a high rating the first time I watched it (8/10) but the film’s flaws have become more apparent to me now. While I was really impressed with Dane DeHaan’s performance as Harry (especially with it being the first time I’d seen him in a film), I felt as if it wasn’t really enough and that he could have given us more, particularly with the Green Goblin; he only really nailed the Goblin cackle, his speaking voice wasn’t that intimidating, the tongue thing just seemed to be ripped off what Heath Ledger did with the Joker and the make-up and suit could have been done better. If Norman WAS meant to come back as the true Green Goblin, whether it be the Ultimate version or not, then maybe they didn’t want DeHaan to steal the show and have too much time as the Goblin in TASM2.

I have to say that Gwen’s death was very powerful, it still gets me very upset and Andrew’s reaction was absolutely heartbreaking. It gets so tense as Gwen is holding onto the web and Peter is doing every possible thing he can to keep Gwen hanging on, having to hold Harry still, keeping the cogs from snapping the web and going to the extreme of quickly wrapping a web line around Harry’s neck, strangling him and refraining him from moving any further. It was saddening to see that in the close-up of Gwen, just before she hits the ground, she closes her eyes, ready to accept that her time was up and that Peter had done everything in his power to save her. There was a moment when I watched this for the first time when I thought that Gwen would actually be okay, when Peter was reassuring her that she was fine and the music in the background almost begins to lift, just before her nose began to bleed and Peter realised that there was nothing he could do and when we all come to realise that Gwen is indeed dead.

The film had the potential to top every Spider-Man film we’ve had so far and while it really got some stuff right (Spider-Man, Peter & Gwen, a strong cast and believable performances, great score by Zimmer and stunning special effects), it failed to leave an overall lasting impression and failed to convince Spidey fans and the general audience that the TASM series is really going to go somewhere promisingly exciting.

I’ve updated my score for TASM2 to 7/10. It only just manages to do more right than wrong, hence it getting a “good” score but nothing more or less than that.

An A on cinemascore is very attainable for any halfway decent comic book movie.
I enjoyed it but it was disappointing overall, I appreciate the effort and the movie clearly had heart. It was just to ambitious for it's own good.
I can't help but wonder if their recent focus on "world-building" could have been what threw a wrench in the system.

It's interesting how much my opinion has evolved over time.
At first I told myself that I liked it, but it really sunk in for me a few weeks later when I realized that I had no desire to see it again. I'm a huge fan of the character and have seen every previous film in theaters numerous times, but the notion of me not caring to see a Spider-man movie twice in theaters was borderline incomprehensible.
Then I rewatched it on blu-ray and it hit me like a brick; I didn't want to see it again because it made me sad. I was sad to see Spider-man become a limp turd in a day and age where superhero movies gross billions every year. I've watched it a handful of times and it gets dramatically worse with each viewing. The initial charm of Garfield and Stone's performances as well as the superficial joys of seeing the best Spider-man action ever on screen do nothing but show me just how hollow the entire thing is. It so desperately wants to be like an installment in the MCU, but that would be like me putting on shoulder pads and trying to be Cam Newton. I really am dumbfounded that they thought this giant, empty mess would lead to a spider-man universe.

This is my favorite Spider-Man movie. This film captured the tone I always imagined Spider-Man movies having. Plus, it spoke to me on a very personal level.

I didn't become a superhero fan because I thought they were cool. Rather for a purely almost survival point of being, I'm an adoptee which can make the world a very scary and lonely place because you enter this world losing your parents and enter one where no one is really like you. With that being the case, superheroes were like me - they came from orphaned backgrounds and still find their way. As an adoptee, that message was and still is integral to me on a very personal level. Thus, having a Spider-Man film that dives head first into orphan/adoptee/abandoned themes like this film did was amazing, pun not intended.

While I see Spider-Man 2 as the better film objectively, and as favorite it's an extremely close tie that it flip flops, Amazing Spider-Man 2 is a lot more of an emotional and personal film for me. They did their homework on orphan/adoptee psychology and it more than shows. Especially in the scene where May talks to Peter about his parents, I've experienced that same moment with my adoptive mom beat for beat and almost line for line. Kudos to the actors because I search films with these themes out and it's rare for them to feel real to me as seriously getting it. This and 'Man of Steel' both have that in common - they both did their homework and it shows.

I am speaking from biasness, but on a personal level this is my favorite Spider-Man film because it tapped into what makes me a fan of these characters: they're like me. They experience the same difficulties and angst due to the loss of their parents, but they still find a way to make it through, get the girl, and save the day. It's an inspiring message that this film pulls off in spades because it's the back bone of this film's journey. This aspect, looking into orphan/adoptee psychology, is something that I really hope MARVEL keeps for 'Homecoming.' Although most think Peter lost Uncle Ben, he first lost his parents and is still dealing with that loss - it's a loss that I don't know if anyone ever can get over - Uncle Ben's death just seriously exasperates that because it strikes at the fear those who've lost their parents have, losing a mother/father figure again, it just brings everything rushing back to the surface.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"