"The Batman" Appreciation Thread

trustyside-kick said:
No, but The Batman has like ruined the franchise. A buut-load of longtime fans hate that show. The old and new TAS still tried to be somewhat accurate to the comics. At least when it came to some of the origins.

Which is why I was comparing it to the Ultimate line.It's trying to be its own thing.

But like I said it is different when the Ultimates are like you say "being its own thing" because it is in the comics as alternate universes. This isn't the case with The Batman.

But its still a different medium,so why shouldn't you expect something different?

Cause it is crap and is hurting the franchise? No way will you change my idea. Thank you thick-headedness. :up:

Well that wasnt related to my point,but ok.

Abaddon said:
But its still a different medium,so why shouldn't you expect something different?

We were expecting some different...

but something different that was just as good if not better...

We ended up with **** called "The Batman"

I've only seen about 5 Episodes and couldn't take anymore. I won't watch it again till Season 4 when Paul starts writing.

Whack Arnolds said:
Is there anyone here, besides myself, who has actually taken a greater liking to "The Batman" than that of B:TAS?

Although I don't hate The Batman with a passion like a lot of other guys, I don't particularly like it either. I'll give it a solid chance when I see a good episode. But it's unlikely that such a situation will arise.

Granted I would like to see more of the classic villains, like Two-Face, Scarecrow, Ra's Al Ghul etc., but I personally think it is actually a better cartoon than B:TAS, and it is severely slept on by fans who refuse to get over the nostalgia of their childhood show.

It's not nostalgia, at least not for me. I mean, show me a The Batman episode equal in quality to Over The Edge, Mad Love, Old Wounds, Heart of Ice, Beware The Gray Ghost, Two-Face Part I, Two-Face Part II, Riddler's Reform, Robin's Reckoning, The Laughing Fish, Double Talk, etc. And even if The Batman could match-up to these masterpieces, it still won't have the impeccable cast of voices that BTAS had the luxury of employing. And to top it all off, The Batman doesn't have it where it truly counts: quality writing. This is something that BTAS (and the rest of the Timmverse DCAU for that matter) has in abundance.

They at least are in the upper echelon of well done cartoons. I mean, look at some of these outstanding visuals:

Perhaps animation-wise, yes. I mean, the motion of the characters and all that is smooth, but the character designs themselves are awful in my opinion. Hardly the stuff of legendary cartoons. To be sure, though, there are some good visuals in it. But I would also like to add that the visuals of BTAS, especially later in TNBAS, accomplish a sort of poetry, intimacy, and care for the characters. I guess you can attribute that to my affection for the characters, but when all is said and done, I like the animation in such episodes such as Over The Edge and On Leather Wings more.

But yeah, I will admit the animation early BTAS episodes are God awful sometimes. Thank God for the occasional stellar script.

To add to the discussion, I think a lot of people rush to criticize The Batman because they are placing BTAS within the greater context of the DCAU. If fans can just think in terms of the individual series, I think there will be a lot more intelligent debate.

Whack Arnolds said:
Hold on, first of all this thread wasn't meant to start arguments. Second of all, because MY OPINION differs from some, that makes me an idiot? Great logic there. Is one not allowed to like something different than what you favor? If anything, these comments show who the young and immature people are on this board.

Sorry. I guess I was just adding more fuel to the flames.

So, because this is an appreciation thread, I appreciate the fact that a new generation of kids will get to see a Batman cartoon.

Mr. Socko said:
New Joker, Harvey Dent, Riddler, etc would be great!

Paul Dini is the only man who can save this show.

Not really. Paul Dini isn't as talented as he used to be. His latest writing on several of the DCAU shows are mediocre at best.

TheGrayGhost said:
Not really. Paul Dini isn't as talented as he used to be. His latest writing on several of the DCAU shows are mediocre at best.
Even if he's mediocre now, it'd still be an improvement from THE BATMAN.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"