The best Cinematography shots?

Who doesn't love that shot? It was the perfect way of showing the life of being in the mob and being in Henry's position. Just the idea of going through the back is a great one.

The train sequence in The Assasination of Jesse James...
This is my top shot. The cinematography throughout the whole movie is phenomenal. Deakins was robbed of the Oscar that year. But similarly to the previous year when Pan's Labyrinth won over Children of Men, the winner (There Will Be Blood) was still worthy.

The Dark Knight not winning was also a snub. The head-out-the-window scene and others also mentioned were some of the best work of the year, where as Slumdog Millionare didn't blow me away.

I dont know whats a Cinematography tbh... can someone teach me?

It's a gopher with teeth in its anus.

Seriously, just think of great shots in films that you like.

Man-Thing.

We we first see the Sheriff on the boat when he first arrives into town. So beautiful DOP. Some of the best DOP I've ever seen in a tv/dtv movie.

Pretty much this entire sequence:

Especially the silhouette shot of John Doe standing over Mills with the gun in focus.

Last edited:
Great choice. I was thinking of which part of Se7en to include. But that had the best use.

- The scene where Malfoy lets Bellatrix and the Death Eaters out of the Vanishing Cabinet in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. Bruno Delbonnel's work in that movie is greatly underrated, and deserves its Oscar nomination.
- That long tracking shot re-establishing the main characters in Serenity (where the camera roams around the ship before tightening to the inside).
- The last two scenes of Raise the Red Lantern -- so exquisitely photographed and underline the serious nature of the film.

Pretty much this entire sequence:

Especially the silhouette shot of John Doe standing over Mills with the gun in focus.
cinematographers are like painters.this scene is like picasso was doing 24 frames per second :bow:

the lighting ,the camera angles,the placements and lenses are perfect.

this is why i will always watch a Fincher movie. no matter what the story is. i need to watch it because of the look of the movie.

Just watched The Truman Show again, and that movie have an amazing cinematography!

Shoots like this one, are priceless:

vlcsnap2010022816h47m58.png

Who doesn't love that shot? It was the perfect way of showing the life of being in the mob and being in Henry's position. Just the idea of going through the back is a great one.

from what i hear going through the back wasn't even the original plan. the theater wouldn't let them go through the front. thats what i heard at least

This is my top shot. The cinematography throughout the whole movie is phenomenal. Deakins was robbed of the Oscar that year. But similarly to the previous year when Pan's Labyrinth won over Children of Men, the winner (There Will Be Blood) was still worthy.

The Dark Knight not winning was also a snub. The head-out-the-window scene and others also mentioned were some of the best work of the year, where as Slumdog Millionare didn't blow me away.

Assassination of Jesse James has the best cinematography of the 2000's IMHO.

I was very impressed with the cinematography at the start of Last Crusade, all those mountain ranges, it was probably the biggest cinema screen I'd seen at that point, so it was extra bonus time good.

The shots of Smallville in SMTV stand out as well, the big wheat fields etc, in fact the whole movie has great cinematography.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas..the colours in this movie, wow, really suit the psychedelic abuse mood, greats shots of the desert at the beginning too.

The Elephant Man and Eraserhead....both great looking modern B&W movies, where the B&W serves them perfectly, these movies would not achieve the same effect in colour at all. Suits the creepy sense of this not being quite the real world in EH, and the mood necessary for Elephant man, that we are looking back into the past.

there is a hauntingly beatiful shot in avatar where there is a horse (or whatever that thing was) running through the woods on fire. beautiful.

TDK and Assasination of Jesse James are two of my favorite.

Lawrence of Arabia, it's what all students are told to study to become great cinematographer's.

Here's a list of some of the best Cineamatographers and some of their films.

John Seale- The English Patient
Janusz Kaminsk- Schindlers List, Saving Private Ryan, Amistad
Allen Daviau- The Color Purple, Empire of the Sun, E. T.
Geoffrey Unsworth- Superman the Movie
Douglas Slocombe- Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Vilmos Zsigmond- Close and Counters of the Third Kind
Barry Sonnenfeld- Raising Arizona
Dean Cundey- Hook, Apollo 13
Vittorio Storaro- Apocalypse Now, The Last Emperor
John Alcott- 2001 : A Space Odyssey, A Clockwork Orange, Barry Lyndon, The Shining
Michael Chapman: Taxi Driver, Raging Bull
Haskell Wexler: One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
Roger Deakins: No Country for Old Men, A Beautiful Mind
John Mathieson: Gladiator, Kingdom of Heaven
Robert Burks: Vertigo, Rear Window

Last edited:
Lawrence of Arabia, it's what all students of cinematography must study to become a cinematographer.

personally I'd hope studants follow their own path rather than present us with shots we've already seen not matter how beautiful.

The whole sequence in Children of Men where Clive Owen is searching for the girl and her baby. Fantastic steadicam work.

Lawrence of Arabia, it's what all students are told to study to become great cinematographer's.

The English Patient- (John Seale) did Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
The Four Feathers- (Robert Richardson) also did Inglorious Bastards
Schindlers List- (Janusz Kaminsk) also did Saving Private Ryan, and Amistad

Here's some cinematogaphers that I like, and some recognizable films they've worked on.

Allen Daviau- The Color Purple, Empire of the Sun, E. T.
Geoffrey Unsworth- Superman the Movie
Douglas Slocombe- Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Vilmos Zsigmond- Close and Counters of the Third Kind
Barry Sonnenfeld- Raising Arizona
Dean Cundey- Hook, Apollo 13

The lack of Roger Deakins disturbs me.

Not as much as you may think. It was the only class that covered anything to do with film. We just watched an assortment of films and answered questions about the characters, the themes, mis en scene, the cinematography. It's nothing to sneeze at. It wasn't even challenging. It somehat expanded my scope on film and I got to watch some great ones, but it wasn't anything special. It's a shame, I think schools should do more film classes. One of the best things is I had a smoking hot teacher. :awesome:

Well, at least it was a class that studied film and not a half-assed one that just went over simple techniques. At least it possibly helped you have a better idea of the depth and analyzation of film. Also, having a hot teacher is definitely a plus. Mine was a fat, bald man that had the face of a squirrel and body of a manatee.:dry:

- The last two scenes of Raise the Red Lantern -- so exquisitely photographed and underline the serious nature of the film.

The sequence in which Gong Li's character finds the hanged corpse of one of the other brides is stunning. The intense scene is executed in such a subtle, creepy way and perfectly conveys the characters' dark emotions and intentions toward each other.

Last edited:
personally I'd hope studants follow their own path rather than present us with shots we've already seen not matter how beautiful.
Sometimes you have to take a lesson in flight before you can get your wings.

Last edited:

I agree that peope should learn the rules so you know how to break them. in the years ahead I want to see NEW shots not shots that are homages to old classic movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"