The Best Young Adult Books Thread

queendarkness12

The Queenmaker
Reaction score
I wanted to create a thread about the best books that are commonly targeted towards young people. :cwink:

Most of them are kind of cool and awesome to read, even some of the young adult vampire books, which are superior to Twilight. :up:

High fantasy and adventure can be included, as well.

What are your favourite Young Adult books with drama, adventure, fantasy, horror and sc-fi?

Last edited:
My List Of Books:

Harry Potter series - J.K Rowling
The Secret Circle - L.J Smith
The Naughts and Crosses Saga - Malorie Blackman
Percy Jackson and The Olympians - Rick Riordan
Heroes Of Olympus - Rick Riordan
Gossip Girl Series - Cecily Von Ziegesar (guilty pleasure)
The Night World Series - L.J Smith
The Hunger Games Trilogy - Suzanne Collins
The Saga Of Darren Shan - Darren Shan
The Demonata Series - Darren Shan
The Thin Executioner - Darren Shan
Dark Visions - L.J Smith
The Forbidden Game - L.J Smith
The Luxe Saga - Anna Godbersen
The Hex Hall Trilogy - Rachel Hawkins

Miss L.J Smith better get Strange Fate together, it's been years in the making.

I'm excited for Riordan's Norse Mythology series, since it's interesting me because of the potential characters.

Last edited:
Are the Divergent series and The Mortal Instruments series any good to read?

Well, it may not necessarily be the "Best" (and of course, my opinion is a tad biased (no, I'm not the author, but I know her)... but if you haven't checked it out already, consider checking out:

tumblr_ne9n6hgnt41tlns7wo10_r2_400.jpg

Stitching Snow
by RC Lewis

Twitter length pitch: It's Snow White in space, if Snow were a cage-fighting tech-head with daddy issues.

Synopsis (spoiler tagged only for length):
Princess Snow is missing.

Her home planet is filled with violence and corruption at the hands of King Matthias and his wife as they attempt to punish her captors. The king will stop at nothing to get his beloved daughter back—but that’s assuming she wants to return at all.

Essie has grown used to being cold. Temperatures on the planet Thanda are always sub-zero, and she fills her days with coding and repairs for the seven loyal drones that run the local mines.

When a mysterious young man named Dane crash-lands near her home, Essie agrees to help the pilot repair his ship. But soon she realizes that Dane’s arrival was far from accidental, and she’s pulled into the heart of a war she’s risked everything to avoid. With the galaxy’s future—and her own—in jeopardy, Essie must choose who to trust in a fiery fight for survival.
(I challenge you to try to resist wanting to become a member of the Dimwit fanclub by the end :oldrazz:)

And for those also interested she has another book (not a sequel, but another fairy tale retelling) coming out in the U.S. this October, Spinning Starlight (a take on Hans Christian Andersen's "The Wild Swans")

Ok, that shameless promotion out of the way :-)oldrazz:)

Some of my (other) favorite YA Novels, or maybe not favorite but one's I've at least enjoyed. (I do tend to lean more towards the "fantasy" genre of books).

Harry Potter goes without saying :)

I've liked the books released so far in Morgan Rhodes "Falling Kingdoms" series.

I liked the first Hunger Games book, Catching Fire was okay and I didn't much care for Mockingjay

I like the first Divergent book (I haven't gotten around to reading the sequels - they're in my "To Read" pile though)

Brodi Ashton's "Everneath" trilogy was... interesting. It's a take on the Persephone myth (it does take place in modern day).

Oh, how can I forget Mindy McGinnins' "Not a Drop to Drink" (I still need to read the second book "In a Handful of Dust") - We like to call it a neo-western, and the first line of the book is "Lynn was nine the first time she killed to defend the pond...." I think is pretty good at giving an idea of what you can expect.

Those are the YA books I can think of off the top of my head, I'm probably forgetting some

The Shattered Sea by Joe Abercrombie is supposed to be pretty good. I haven't read it yet, but his adult fantasies are well-regarded. TSS is Viking fantasy. I have read the first three Earthsea books by Ursula K Leguin and would recommend those. I especially liked the first one, A Wizard of Earthsea.

Clive Barker's Abarat novels have been pretty good so far (haven't read the third book yet, though). And are almost worth getting for the pictures alone.

I heard The Song of the Lioness series is good, should I read it by any chance?

Are the Divergent series and The Mortal Instruments series any good to read?

the first Divergent book is good, the second book so-so and i didn't enjoy the third at all.

i'm on book 5 of The Mortal Instruments and i kinda just want it to be over by this point. i've heard from many people that The Infernal Devices series is far better, and it's kinda a prequel taking place in the Victorian era

some of my favorite YA books:

Looking For Alaska - John Green. i read this book literally in one sitting, only stopping to get a glass of water. it took me a long time to get over it. it hit way too close to home
The Fault in Our Stars - John Green. the book is even better than the movie
The Sea of Tranquility - Katja Millay
13 Reasons Why - Jay Asher. this book was pretty tragic cuz you couldn't do anything about the endgame, just learn how she came to be there and it should open your eyes to how things you do to someone may seem so small but may wreck them in ways that you never realize.
Perks of Being a Wallflower - Stephen Chbosky. this book is like 20 years old now, so some references are dated, but it's such a good book. i've read it at least 4 or 5 times over the years

series:

Vampire Academy - Richelle Mead. this series is infinitely better than the movie and Rose Hathaway is still one of my favorite female characters in books. i have read the series twice

Daughter of Smoke & Bone Trilogy - Laini Taylor. it took me a bit to get into it, but once i gave it a chance i really, really enjoyed it. it's pretty dark and a little out there from the normal YA stuff, but it's good

Miss Peregrine's School for Peculiar Children - Ransom Riggs. i liked this a lot better than i thought i would, and i hope to start the sequel soon. i recently heard Tim Burton is helming a film version, but Eva Green is playing Peregrine and i'm not a fan of her, but we'll see.

I Am Number Four series - Pittacus Lore. they're totally YA but they have good parts (and bad). the idea is interesting.

Starcrossed - Josephine Angelini. this is a trilogy.

Last edited:
Hi first post so first off hello there nice looking forum ....

Anyway .... my son reads a lot and I do tend to dip into his YA books from time to time and I happened upon his Skulduggery Pleasant books and found them to be an excellent read they come across very much Harry potter meets Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Tv not film)

Cannot recommend them enough... also the Maze Runner books were good

BTW does anyone know the name of a book where some kids trap a vampire inside an Igloo surrounded by crosses ?

Artemis Fowl / Eoin Colfer
Airman / Eoin Colfer
Movie Maniacs / Philip Caveney
Alec Devlin / Philip Caveney
Kane Chronicles / Rick Riordan
Heroes of Olympus / Rick Riordan

Yeah, you can't go wrong with Harry Potter. Zero Sight and Zero Sum by B. Justin Shier are amazing, sort of Harry Potter meets Harry Dresden; there is supposed to be a third but the author was finishing medical school and starting his residency a few years ago and there has been no news since then, but the first two are definitely worth checking out; much better than most of the other YA stuff out there.

The Red Rising series. Final book (the 3rd) is set to come out next year.

Divergent started interesting then got boring. I was rolling my eyes by the 102th time the main character "bit her lip."

Divergent started interesting then got boring. I was rolling my eyes by the 102th time the main character "bit her lip."

by all means do not read 50 shades, you will have a seizure

Harry Potter - GO.

Oh and His Dark Materials by Pullman, changed my life in high school.

i think i will always have a soft spot in my heart for Lee Scoresby and Hester

queen are you on Goodreads? they send out a monthly newsletter to any genres you sign up for

queen are you on Goodreads? they send out a monthly newsletter to any genres you sign up for

No, it's been a year and a half, since I last read a book.

I've been more focused on writing original stories most days. :ilv:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"