The Brave and the Bold News and Discussion Thread

Jake Gyllenhaal as the new Bruce Wayne replacing Ben Affleck...I actually like this

Affleck has already been “replaced” though. We’ve had three different Big Screen Bruce’s outside of Affleck since JL.
lol.
:nerd::batman:

I'm gonna go on a limb here and say that The Batman Part ll being delayed guarantess this movie will happen. Not for any of the reasons people commonly think but rather because if it takes Matt Reeves as long to do The Batman 3 as it did to do the second one then The Batman Saga will only conclude until 2031. Hell, it might take him longer 'cause third installments are always the hardest so it might even be 2032.
Needless to say that's way too ****ing long lmao.

So long in fact it gives Gunn plenty of time to do BaTB in-between. Hell, in theory maybe even a sequel to BaTB or a crossover that involves Batman like JL or something. So that'll work out pretty well for him. And I can't imagine the money people at WBD are happy over the fact they have to wait 4.5 years to get that sweet Batman cash so if Gunn and Safran can solve that issue AND let Reeves have enough time to do as he pleases then have at it. Everybody wins. Well, assuming the movie is good of course.

And as for the quality of the movie.

We all know Muschietti's ass is out, right? Great. So who's gonna direct the film now?

Well, I'll go out on another limb here and say: Unless Gunn manages to get a Christopher McQuarrie or something, I now wholeheartedly believe it'll 100% be him who writes and directs and The Batman Part ll delays guarantees it lmao.

How does it guarantee it? Because now BaTB doesn't have to come out until late 2027 or early 2028 at the earliest. So that means that even if Gunn began writing BaTB until he finishes filming in Peacemaker, he more than likely would still be able to meet that release date.

And why would he want to do it?

Because Batman has been Gunn's favorite comic character for a long time.

428309011_1560836584738357_2763083278917063999_n.jpg428281855_1560834831405199_7672328398385269223_n.jpg

2023-08-31 13_39_06-James Gunn on Twitter_ _@HarleyQuinnDCEU Harley, Batman, Peacemaker_ _ Twi...png

2023-02-23 01_22_02-James Gunn _ Facebook y 5 páginas más - Principal_ Microsoft Edge.png
2024-03-29 02_06_10-James Gunn _ Facebook y 6 páginas más - Personal_ Microsoft Edge.png

2024-03-29 02_09_47-James Gunn _ Facebook y 6 páginas más - Personal_ Microsoft Edge.png
GGUSflFXsAAOnoy.png
He already said he might have directed a Batman film if Matt hadn't been doing The Batman at the time:
“I’m not saying I’d never be interested in Superman, but if it was Batman, which Matt [Reeves] was already doing, it might’ve felt differently because I understand Batman. I understand Harley Quinn; I don’t understand every character.”

And there's an extremely easy emotional hook for him: He loves, LOVES to tell stories about fathers and sons, about nature vs nurture, about family. Which are all the thematic elements this film is bound to have and he's very familiar with.

Cherry on top?

His favorite female character in comics is Cassandra Cain who would be ridiculously easy to put in this movie.
2023-02-18 16_53_24-Facebook y 8 páginas más - Principal_ Microsoft Edge.png

Add to that the fact he's probably the most qualified to make this movie in general, the fact that it's the #2 most important film in the DCU... yeah this man is gonna write and direct this lmao No ****ing way he has this much love for Batman and his characters and won't want the fun of directing the film, figuring out the batcave, batmobile, batsuit, gadgets, action scenes with complete and total creative freedom which is a once in a lifetime opportunity for any Batman fan. And I'm here for it. I do think realistically he's the best actor/director this film could have.

Last edited:
Invader, ‘guarantees’ is insanely strong language lol. I think there’s a reasonable high chance he writes or co-writers it but calling it a ‘guarantee’ is nuts.

The same director rebooting Superman and Batman seems so blandly homogenous to me no matter how much I like Gunn. It makes the inherently bad shared universe, showrunner lead model of making these movies even worse.

Invader, ‘guarantees’ is insanely strong language lol. I think there’s a reasonable high chance he writes or co-writers it but calling it a ‘guarantee’ is nuts.

The same director rebooting Superman and Batman seems so blandly homogenous to me no matter how much I like Gunn. It makes the inherently bad shared universe, showrunner lead model of making these movies even worse.
I wouldn't be using such strong language if I wasn't so absolutely certain of it!

Unless Gunn manages to get a filmmaker he absolutely adores to do BaTB and whose take he'd rather see than do his own (think an Edgar Wright, Christopher McQuarrie or whatever) I think Gunn will do it himself. And you can say that it'd be homogenous or whatever but I quite frankly don't think he'd care even in the slightest. The DCU is already starting off with not 2, but 3 of his own projects (Creature Commandos, Superman, Peacemaker) followed up by another one that was also created by him prior to DCU even existing (Waller) and another one which he did the story for and put one of his friends to write (The Authority). So any notions that he'd care about "not taking up too much space" or whatever I think go out of the way. He hasn't cared about it thus far, why would we presume he'd care about it now? Also with The Batman being a thing and if the Coates film does come to fruition I think he'd just pull the argument "Wdym? Even the characters I'm doing I'm giving them to other people too!"

Also it'd be far more egregious if it wasn't for the fact that yeah, I do think that as objective as one could get for this sort of stuff it's almost undeniable Gunn would be the best choice to write and direct Brave and the Bold. If it was a Batman movie about Hush or The Long Halloween or whatever perhaps that wouldn't be the case... but it's a Batman movie with Damian Wayne of all characters.

And let me tell you, when you really think about it, Damian already has all the markings of a typical James Gunn character lmao. Ridiculously dark and tragic but also wrapped in an insanely silly and comedic presentation, daddy issues, found family element, the type of character that'd scare away the vast majority of filmmakers. That's a James Gunn character if I've ever seen one.

Hell if you've ever seen Gunn talk about Rocket is also pretty obvious how Damian would appeal to him since all the exact same reasons that made Rocket connect with him as much as he did apply to Damian too.

And yeah you can use the argument "Well he can just get complete hacks to write and direct it instead but he'll actually ghost-write and ghost-direct" but not only do I think that'd be significantly less fun for him than doing it himself but also he's probably smart enough to know the result would probably be a lot worse as well so there's zero point on taking that approach.

Also Gunn, based on everything he said about Batman and his infamous Batman movies rants does strike me as someone that has an extremely specific idea of what he thinks Batman should be. So what are the chances he'd find someone that shares his same exact sensibilities, is actually qualified to write/direct the movie, in general would be someone he'd be excited about, and be willing to make a movie with Damian Wayne? I quite frankly don't think they're that high.

The fact that last we know he hasn't hired a screenwriter for this yet also makes me think this. The movie has been in development for a while now. He could've easily hired another one of his friends or a journeyman or someone from the pre-existing DC Studios team to write it. The fact he hasn't makes me think he's being very very picky and probably hasn't been sold on any of the pitches for the script so far. So that probably does merit the "If you want something done right, do it yourself" approach.

Also. Again. Batman has been Gunn's favorite comic character/superhero for a looong time. A side character from his mythos is his favorite female character. For a mega comic fan like him that has read and loves even some ridiculously obscure characters to still come away saying "Yeah Batman's my favorite" I do think indicates he has a deep level of fanaticism for the character. And if you're that big of a Batman fan, and you've got the chance to make the Batman movie of your dreams with complete creative freedom, you take it. And I don't think any of the arguments against him are compelling enough to override that very basic fanboy instinct, especially when otherwise he really is the best choice to write and direct regardless.

Last edited:
Man I don't think that time off did you any well.
Perhaps it did or did not, but there are good reasons to think the things I do.

And I DID predict Gunn directing Superman before anyone else at a time where no one else was thinking about it:

Feige is involved with every casting decision in the MCU. I think Gunn would be quite a bit involved with casting who would ideally be the face of the franchise he's gonna be spear-heading for ideally the next 10 years.
That and I also think there's a chance he's actually directing Superman.

I know Gunn said that, but at the same time it's possible he may have changed his mind, especially because even back then when he said that he didn't rule out the possibility that maybe one day he'd be interested in it. And months ago he played weirdly coy.
View attachment 60211
Also, I think you're wrong regarding the whole "DC Studios doesn't have the infrastructure to even have a Feige", that may have been true of DC Films, but DC Studios is an entirely new beast, one that Zaslav has made explicitly clear he made with the intention of setting up the same structure Marvel had and he also explicitly stated, before Gunn was hired, that he was looking for someone to put in the Feige position, which ended up being Gunn and Safran. They've been extremely clear about that.

Also, the same way he was being in hindsight weirdly coy about Superman back then I think he's already started the same with Batman lmao

The week he finished writing Peacemaker he out of nowhere makes a post about his 10 favorite Batman comics that he goes out of his way to post on both Threads AND Instagram:

Only to later the same day say he'd write something even while directing Superman and producing if he "gets an idea at 3AM and can't help himself" (Oddly specific if you ask me)

And 1 day later respond to a fan asking if he'd write and direct more things to say that he's there precisely to write and direct:

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if he already began writing in his spare time from Superman.

@Invader Joker
That's quite a demonstration and, like stated in another thread, I also have a gut feeling BATB might be Gunn's next film.
It just make sense to me for him to do this particular one for all the reason stated.

... this post is so useless, I'm just agreeing and bringing nothing else to the table. 😅
I'd just add that I personally hope for something else entirely, but it's NEVER going to happen.

Last edited:
Gunn is going to write and direct every DCU project. :o

a392bbce-b817-4d9a-851b-c2adbd007d83_text.gif

It would be kinda funny if Gunn went full tyrannical workaholic and tried to co-write and co-direct every DC project. He definitely shouldn’t but hell… I’d take that over Andy Muschietti directing anything.

Really don't see him directing Batman. Could see a story credit though.

Last edited:
I have a question: since my favorite comic book character is Batman, do you think it is likely I will direct this movie?
Are you the CEO of DC Studios and also an established director with 3 blockbuster hits under his belt that due to his sensibilities is uniquely qualified to direct this particular Batman movie? If so yes.

It would be kinda funny if Gunn went full tyrannical workaholic and tried to co-write and co-direct every DC project. He definitely shouldn’t but hell… I’d take that over Andy Muschietti directing anything.
I think he explicitly doesn't want to ghost-write or ghost-direct anybody else... which is why I think he'd rather directly write and direct this movie for which he probably has very very specific ideas of what it should be, instead of hiring someone else he'd just be micromanaging and do a worse job than if he just did it himself.

I cannot imagine anything more boring than a cinematic universe that is so totally defined by one dudes style. I do not need more than one or two James Gunn helmed DC projects, especially big headliner ones.

Not to say I don’t think Gunn would do a good job on this! He totally would, I don’t think he’s anywhere near the director Reeves is but he’s the only one in the live action CBM genre currently who comes close in his own way.

I cannot imagine anything more boring than a cinematic universe that is so totally defined by one dudes style. I do not need more than one or two James Gunn helmed DC projects, especially big headliner ones.
Not to say I don’t think Gunn would do a good job on this! He totally would, I don’t think he’s anywhere near the director Reeves is but he’s the only one in the live action CBM genre currently who comes close in his own way.
Well, this would be the second then! Also. My argument to that would be that he'd be doing it so he doesn't have to do it with anything else. I truly do think Mangold is gonna have freedom to do what he wants in Swamp Thing, likewise whoever gets to direct Supergirl (as long as they stick to the script) and that Korean Huntress movie if it happens, etc. I doubt the Lanterns show will share anything with him tonally, Arkham will be very different from his stuff and even Waller sounds like it'll be a more serious show despite being in the TSS/Peacemaker side of things.

It's just that this specific project I do think needs Gunn because BaTB appeals to his sensibilites so directly in a way that it's unlikely to for any other filmmaker that'd be good/qualified for this, has a really tough mountain to climb because of the Matt Reeves thing (and like you said, Gunn is one of the very few filmmakers that could actually try to go toe to toe with him. And I do think a Batman film by James Gunn stands a better chance at co-existing with The Batman Saga than one by practically anybody else) and it's Batman so by default it's the most important film on their early slate aside from Superman.

Once one gets past the initial "He can't direct Superman AND Batman!" instinct I do think it's undeniable he'd do a great job with this film, which is what matters in the end. Plus who knows, maybe he could later tie him doing these two things with a World's Finest movie after.

I do think Gunn will inevitably direct this Batman a bunch in a universe where I’m wrong and his DCU doesn’t die within two movies. He’s gonna direct Justice League for sure, right? That’s the hill I’m more willing to die on with unwarranted certainty.

I do think Gunn will inevitably direct this Batman a bunch in a universe where I’m wrong and his DCU doesn’t die within two movies. He’s gonna direct Justice League for sure, right? That’s the hill I’m more willing to die on with unwarranted certainty.
I honestly think, even if the DCU is successful outta the gate, a JL film is waaaay down the road this time. I think if there's one good lesson they may have learned from the DCEU's failure, it's that one. Hence Gunn not even mentioning it in his plans. And I'd be glad for it, tbh. I have a feeling that even if I find myself fully vibing with the DCU, a Justice League film is where it will lose me. Unless they somehow manage to capture the magic of Morrison's JLA, the only DC team book I've ever loved. The solo franchises are exclusively what I'm interested in. Minor crossovers are fine. Just not into the full-on team stuff.

I have the theory that Justice League might go to Drew Goddard actually. It'd be pretty weird to have him on the writer's room and not give him something to write/direct, especially since he isn't working on anything else at the moment. And Gunn and Safran said when revealing the slate said this:
James Gunn DC Slate Q&A: Flash, Aquaman, Crossover, More
Safran: There are certain tentpoles both on the film and the television side that are imperative to the storytelling, and those ones will make sure [are released in order].

Gunn:: And that’s why we’re hiring writers and getting writers together for all of that stuff now, so that we can start developing the stuff that’s going to be ready with plenty of time

Goddard doesn't seem to be working on any of the announced projects. Hell, he doesn't seem to be working on any of the rumored ones. But idk, I feel he /has/ to be working on something. So I kinda wouldn't be surprised if he was writing their big crossover movie this early on, especially since he is a Matt Reeves-type writer that's very slow. And between him signing up previously to do Sinister Six and X-Force I do think he wants to do an ensemble.

Gunn hiring guys like Goddard and courting ones like Vaughn is a big part of why I have very little faith in those whole venture lol

Gunn hiring guys like Goddard and courting ones like Vaughn is a big part of why I have very little faith in those whole venture lol
To be fair thankfully it seems like the Vaughn thing completely fell apart and Argylle was enough of a disaster that even if he came crawling back I doubt they'd take him, but yeah I'm curious to see who he'll ultimately get for The Authority. I think Doug Liman and Adam Wingard might be strong possibilities.

To be fair thankfully it seems like the Vaughn thing completely fell apart and Argylle was enough of a disaster that even if he came crawling back I doubt they'd take him, but yeah I'm curious to see who he'll ultimately get for The Authority. I think Doug Liman and Adam Wingard might be strong possibilities.
Liman and Wingard would be fun choices for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"