The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage Of The Dawn Treader

RickO'Connell

Sidekick
Reaction score
Variety reports that Disney and Walden Media's The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader will film in Mexico instead of New Zealand, where the first two pics -- "The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe" and "Prince Caspian" -- were largely based because of government tax incentives.

Weta Digital and Weta Workshop, which created most of the films' effects and props, also are based in that country.

But producers of the third installment, to be directed by Michael Apted, needed several large soundstages plus a massive water tank. The title of the film refers to the ship that serves as a major set piece.

Because of that, production will move to Rosarito, Mexico, and set up shop at Baja Studios, where Titanic, Deep Blue Sea and Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World were shot.

Location shots in Australia will still be filmed as planned.

Production originally was slated to start in October, but will now likely begin in January.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=46556

Should be exciting. Just hope it can live up to the other two. It's the least famous of the books.

can't wait for this.
I love your user-name, man. Mogwai is the best post-rock band ever. Can't wait for the new album. (assuming that is what your user-name is for)

Oh, and yea, I cant wait for this either.

VOTDT is one of the better books in the series, so I look forward to this. I can't wait to see how the Dawn Treader looks! :D

I'm gonna miss William Moseley... :(
But still can't wait!
Prince Caspian is my favorite movie of this year, well...TDK is, so it's my second fav. :)

Glad they are actually making this despite Prince Caspian dissapointing at the BO, I think they should move it back to a winter release though.

Still No Green Light for Third Narnia?
Source: Walden Media November 14, 2008

On Friday, Walden Media announced that Co-CEO and co-founder Cary Granat was exiting the company. One thing we noticed in the press release, however, was that The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader has not yet gotten the green light:

Cary Granat, Co-CEO and co-founder of Walden Media, will transition from his Walden position to a consultant for the company effective December 1. Granat will be Walden's creative consultant on the third installment in "The Chronicles of Narnia" franchise – "Voyage of the Dawn Treader"- which the company hopes to greenlight soon. He will also provide consulting services for an initiative with AEG Live, the concert and promotion company owned by Phil Anschutz who also owns Walden.

"This was a mutual decision," said David Weil, CEO of Anschutz Film Group, Walden’s parent company. "Cary and we both felt this was the right way to formalize the change in the company's creative direction that will now be overseen by Michael Bostick who was brought in as Co-CEO of Walden earlier this year. We all owe Cary a great debt of gratitude for co-founding the company and guiding the Walden brand to its preeminent place in family entertainment today."

"I'm extremely proud of what we've accomplished in my seven years at Walden. We have been very fortunate, with the unparalleled support of Phil Anschutz, David Weil and the entire team here to create family entertainment that will last for generations. It's time for me to hit the recharge button and take on a new challenge, but I'll always look back fondly on my time at Walden."

Granat will not be replaced and his responsibilities at Walden will now be handled by Weil and Bostick. Granat expects to announce additional future plans shortly.

Disney was targeting a May 7, 2010 release date for the third installment.

Well Disney has Prince of Persia due in May... maybe they pass on this. I can't see them making May 2010 when the thing has not even been greenlit yet. I thought they were supposed to be filming by now?

cant wait

fawfulhasfury, i think VOTDT is actually one of the most famous books. many people kept thinking that the Prince Caspian movie was gonna be dawn treader, until they realized there was no boat, haha

I just saw Prince Caspian a few weeks ago - I saw it on a plane - but still, I really enjoyed it. I hope they get started VODT soon, the book was a great followup, and I think they can have some fun with character of Eustace.

Well Disney has Prince of Persia due in May... maybe they pass on this. I can't see them making May 2010 when the thing has not even been greenlit yet. I thought they were supposed to be filming by now?

They should release it for December since that's the best time for fantasy films to rake in lots of $$$. I think it was the switch from December to Summer that really hurt Prince Caspian's box office, so going back to December is the most logical choice for the third movie. Summer is getting really crowded these days, and yet the Christmas season is getting more and more ignored despite the potential for success.

They should release it for December since that's the best time for fantasy films to rake in lots of $$$. I think it was the switch from December to Summer that really hurt Prince Caspian's box office, so going back to December is the most logical choice for the third movie. Summer is getting really crowded these days, and yet the Christmas season is getting more and more ignored despite the potential for success.
Ever since Rings left that month no film has really hit it big then. At least fantasy wise, Golden compass and Eragon both got hit hard. It's understandible for disney to get afrid and move the movie. They should move it back, but I don't think this movie will be made.

If this movie never gets made I will eat a puppy.

Aren't the kids getting old? They should have made this a Harry Potter series... one movie every year and a half. I don't know how old the characters are in this book so I may be mistaken...

not all of the children are in every book, and when the others come back into the picture they are older, so it will actually work pretty well

Yeah. It's been a while since I read the books but I'm pretty sure that the four Pevansy kids were all adults by the time The Last Battle took place.

The Pevensie kids aren't in The Magician's Nephew - the main character is the professor who owned the wardrobe who was present when Narnia was created.

The Horse and His Boy was about a different kid, and it takes place while the Pevensie kids were kings and queens of Narnia (I think only 3 of them appear), so they would be adults in that story.

Voyage of the Dawn Treader only used Lucy and Edmund (in Prince Caspian Peter and Susan were told they would not be returning). Peter was off studying for exams and Susan was on a trip to America with their parents. Lucy and Edmund are staying with their obnoxious cousin Eustace, who comes along with them to Narnia.

The Silver Chair is Eustace and his friend Jill, then I think all of the kids are back for the last book (I can't remember, though).

Ever since Rings left that month no film has really hit it big then. At least fantasy wise, Golden compass and Eragon both got hit hard. It's understandible for disney to get afrid and move the movie. They should move it back, but I don't think this movie will be made.

:huh::huh: the first Narnia movie made $745 million WW in Christmas 2005, while at the same time King Kong made over $500 million WW, short memory there pal. I Am Legend made over $500 million WW last Christmas also.

Anyway, I hope the 3rd movie does get greenlight, as for me, this is the only fantasy series since LOTR that has been worth watching. So I hope they dont give it up after 2, they just need to be sensible and move the 3rd movie to December 2010 rather than May 2010.

Don't forget Alvin and the Chipmunks . . . and National Treasure Book of Secrets.

Prince Caspian was just problematically bland unfortunately. Fans are lucky they are making another one at all.

And I hope they don't try to make it more expensive. You can't get a bigger budget for Narnia right now.

I didnt think PC was bland at all, it was an improvement over the first movie, which I personally loved.

Prince Caspian was a great movie. The problem was the release date. They should have released it during Christmas time like the first movie. I hope they do that for the third film.

It wasn't that great, and Prince Caspian's accent was terrible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"