The Superhero Cinematic Civil War

So I got this idea in my head that I wanted to revisit the pandemic-era MCU films, which ironically I've watched far less compared to the Infinity War/Endgame entries. Running with that, I did a rewatch of Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings this past weekend.

Every time I watch this movie I love it more and more. I'd definitely put it in my Top 10 MCU at this point. Someone here described it as the LOTR of Marvel Movies and I found this assessment to be spot on. I would personally argue that Shang-Chi isn't as good as Jackson's LOTR trilogy (though I would argue strongly that it's better than his Hobbit films), but I definitely understand the sentiment.

Of all MCU entries, Shang-Chi has one of the strongest fantasy/fairytale aesthetics. The story is intriguing, the characters are charming, and the action choreography is fun and exciting. While it's true that it does descend into a CGI nightmare at the end, most of the film is classic superhero fun.

I really hope Destin Daniel Cretton gets to helm another MCU entry, and I hope to see more of this character. Shang-Chi has too much potential to be relegated to one-and-done status.

200w.gif

So I got this idea in my head that I wanted to revisit the pandemic-era MCU films, which ironically I've watched far less compared to the Infinity War/Endgame entries. Running with that, I did a rewatch of Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings this past weekend.

Every time I watch this movie I love it more and more. I'd definitely put it in my Top 10 MCU at this point. Someone here described it as the LOTR of Marvel Movies and I found this assessment to be spot on. I would personally argue that Shang-Chi isn't as good as Jackson's LOTR trilogy (though I would argue strongly that it's better than his Hobbit films), but I definitely understand the sentiment.

Of all MCU entries, Shang-Chi has one of the strongest fantasy/fairytale aesthetics. The story is intriguing, the characters are charming, and the action choreography is fun and exciting. While it's true that it does descend into a CGI nightmare at the end, most of the film is classic superhero fun.

I really hope Destin Daniel Cretton gets to helm another MCU entry, and I hope to see more of this character. Shang-Chi is has too much potential to be relegated to one-and-done status.

View attachment 84900
My issue with the MCU is their less known superheroes are more than likely not going to get sequels until the next saga. Right now I'm convinced Shang-Chi 2 will be saved for the next saga.

Not terribly familiar with the Lin’s work, but he seems like he could be a good fit based on sampling some of his stuff but whatever director they pick, I kind of hope we return back to the grounded street-level aspect of the character this time around. No more multiverse stuff, please.

Last edited:

I really hope Destin Daniel Cretton gets to helm another MCU entry, and I hope to see more of this character. Shang-Chi has too much potential to be relegated to one-and-done status.

View attachment 84900
100% agree. Shang Chi is most certainly in my top 10 Marvel films. Maybe knocking on the door of top 5 for all of the reasons you state.

View attachment 84900
Yeah, I really like Shang Chi (film and MCU character) and look forward to seeing him next. It's no LotR (nothing is) but it is a very fun superhero film that certainly deserves a sequel and for the lead character to appear elsewhere in the MCU and start getting some priority.

Shang-Chi's biggest problem was always that it was rejected by its target audience.

Shang-Chi's biggest problem was always that it was rejected by its target audience.

I think MS and Feige didnt really intend to make China as their main target audience when they decided to make Shang-Chi, Sithborg.

At its core, Shang Chi is still about the tale being told from the Asian American (in this case Chinese American)'s POV, not the native Chinese living in China. I think its the same with Black Panther, as it was never intended to pander to native African countries' audience (although the main character was based on the fictional African country), but more geared towards the African American community as its main target audience.

As of why the Chinese rejected Shang Chi, more than anything else, I feel it was because of their openly and blatant dislike of Simu Liu, who they deemed as "too ugly".

Last edited:
I think MS and Feige didnt really intend to make China as their main target audience when they decided to make Shang-Chi, Sithborg.

At its core, Shang Chi is still about the tale being told from the Asian American (in this case Chinese American)'s POV, not the native Chinese living in China. I think its the same with Black Panther, as it was never intended to pander to native African countries' audience (although the main character was based on the fictional African country), but more geared towards the African American community as its main target audience.

As of why the Chinese rejected Shang Chi, more than anything else, I feel it was because of their openly and blatant dislike of Simu Liu, who they deemed as "too ugly".

Feige not doing homework on chinese beauty standard, while extremely hilarious, is not exactly what I'm talking about.

The pandering comes, when it comes to attempting to use comic accurate characters, but trying to updated them to... not be so racist. At that point, you might as well just make them new characters. And given Feige's little apology tour to try to convince china that no, these aren't the racist characters form the past was indicative of just how focused he was on china for that movie.

I think it's likely that Chinese people want American movies to be about America, and that they have their own film industry for films about China.

Is Simu Liu actually ugly? In the same way that people used to say that Adam Driver was ugly?

I think it's likely that Chinese people want American movies to be about America, and that they have their own film industry for films about China.

Is Simu Liu actually ugly? In the same way that people used to say that Adam Driver was ugly?
I still say Driver's not winning any beauty contests
But he's an insanely talented actor, and not everyone in Hollywood has to have model-looks

The Chinese issue with Simu Liu is bizarre though. It's like what, he's got a freckle on his cheek so he's a hideous monster? China is a weird place. First Asian superhero, but let's get offended at a freckle and at Awkwafina's crooked teeth

I don’t know; I know a lot of people who think Simu is hot so I’m not sure where the “ugly” talk comes from.

f4b641342da48780fbc46ab1cdf70f0641c5dc73.gif

So are you saying that Asian Americans are not American enough?

(I’m not being critical, I generally don’t understand this statement.)

I don’t know; I know a lot of people who think Simu is hot so I’m not sure where the “ugly” talk comes from.
Does ugly on the inside count because he has a past about being one of those men's rights people.

I still don’t understand your statement. Shang Chi was about an American character. The first half of the film took place in America. The ending takes place in Ta Lo, which theoretically isn’t probably in China either.

I mean, the lions share of the film is set in San Francisco and the ending is a mythical village. How does it seem to be “a film about China?”

Again, i genuinely don’t understand the point that was made and I’m trying to get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"