The Superhero Cinematic Civil War

I never played the game, but wife and I decided to watch The Last of Us. We are up to episode 9 and that's an awesome show.
Sony have absolutely delivered with the show, can’t believe how good it is. I’ve rewatched the opening scene about 50 times. And they have absolutely crapped all over one of my favourite gaming franchises with Uncharted. How can a studio be responsible for both and not think, hey this one is a hell of a lot better than the other, let’s be like this more and less like that.

Spider-verse should also be dope. I liked the first one more than the second but I'm not too high on them like others. They're good, but certainly not the best things since sliced bread.

Superman, The Batman Part II, and Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow are it for me as far as upcoming CBM’s go, and that’s more than enough! :mrk:
Oh yes, Supergirl too, and especially given they are going with WoT. If the universe takes off I want to see Supergirl again asap after her film, maybe even in a JL down the road.

I personally loved Gunn's Suicide Squad. Easily Top 5 DCEU for me, which granted hasn't meant that much over the past couple years :eek:

In terms of ranking I would put Suicide Squad over Guardians 2 but under Guardians 1 & Guardians 3 :up:
Top 5 DCEU isn’t something I’d use as a compliment for a film. :tearsofjoy: Top 10 DCEU is something I would use as an active, aggressive insult. :cwink:

My number 1 has been Thunderbolts for a long time. Beyond that, I'm not super excited about much, but I am intrigued by Cap 4, Superman, Joker 2, and Deadpool 3. Probably all more or less equally.

The Batman 2 will be good, I'm sure, but - and maybe the sequel will change my mind on this - that series/world does not excite me at all regardless of quality.
If Reeves had signed on for 5 films and was overseeing shows and spinoffs my excitement would be through the roof for it. As it is I’m just expecting a great film with a slight potential of a TDK level of improvement over the first film after the awesome setup.

There are enough ingredients in Thunderbolts to get me interested but I think I need to see some material for it before I get properly invested and excited. I’ve talked about Superman and Deadpool above, but Joker 2 has gone from active disinterest to getting hyped with Gaga getting cast and it being a musical to even a very small extent.

I enjoyed each of Sonic, Mario, Mortal Kombat, and Resident Evil. I don't buy into the video game movies are bad narrative. They're fine. They might have a limited audience though.

Out of everything that's coming out in the next 2-3 years, I'm most excited to see what Reeves has in store for us with The Batman Part II.

I'm interested to see what Gunn is cooking up with Superman because apart from the cast, he hasn't yet made a comic book movie that I haven't liked.

On the Marvel side of things I'm relatively excited for Deadpool 3, Fantastic Four and Thunderbolts with the hype for the latter two being primarily for the cast more than anything else. Spider-Man 4 I'll be excited for if it doesn't push it with more multiverse stuff but I have my doubts about that. I don't really care much about Cap 4 even though I'll still see it but everything else beyond those is so up in the air that I'm not going to bother getting hyped for anything yet. Even the next Avengers movie feels like it's a decade away.

Count me as one looking forward to Deadpool 3, FF and then the other CBMs just fall in line. The one that really has my fascination is how live action MCU X-Men will be made, but that's a way's away.

There are so many games which are rich with storytelling potential for a movie. But they need to treat them with a lot more respect. TLOU was unfortunately an exception rather than the rule.

Truth be told, with the right creatives, there are so many fighting games that could potentially be great film franchises. Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter and Tekken... there's alot that could be done there, but like you said they have to be made with respect.

Give me a nice budget and I can write a helluva script for Kitana, Mileena and Jade lol.

Last edited:
Count me as one looking forward to Deadpool 3, FF and then the other CBMs just fall in line. The one that really has my fascination is how live action MCU X-Men will be made, but that's a way's away.

Truth be told, with the right creatives, there are so many fighting games that could potentially be great film franchises. Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter and Tekken... there's alot that could be done there, but like you said they have to be made with respect.

Give me a nice budget and I can write a helluva script for Kitana, Mileena and Jade lol.
Oh yes, MCU X-Men is the big one bro!! :cwink: 97 surprisingly getting things so right has got me a lot more optimistic and hyped, even though it’s still likely a very long time for the film.

I’m also a huge fan of those fighting franchises in particular and love tons of characters in each of them. It feels like they are not straightforward to translate to film while capturing the full appeal of those characters in games, but I really hope there are fan directors out there who love the source material and have the ability to get them right.

So I finally saw The Flash. While it was no where near the best CBM since TDK, I did actually enjoy it. Keaton and Calle stole the show though.

Miller wasn't terrible but they just couldn't carry this all on those shoulders and 2 of them wasnt the best idea considering the real life shenanigans.

I like that it went for the weird and crazy stuff though. But yes CGI definitely needed work.

@Shinobi Shaw something REALLY special could be done with Tekken IMO.

There are so many games which are rich with storytelling potential for a movie. But they need to treat them with a lot more respect. TLOU was unfortunately an exception rather than the rule.

TLOU has the advantage of being a game being made by someone who clearly wants to be making anything other than games. I'm sure the games are good and the show is good, but dear god, everytime I see Drukmann talking about it I just want to pull his head out of his ass and slap him.

Sighhh. This could totally be nothing and Finn trolling people but i’m not jazzed at the prospect of him returning. IF its true i hope that the intention to reinvent Finn’s version of Danny Rand from the ground up because that old version just did not work at all. Perhaps under new direction Finn could do the character better justice.

Sighhh. This could totally be nothing and Finn trolling people but i’m not jazzed at the prospect of him returning. IF its true i hope that the intention to reinvent Finn’s version of Danny Rand from the ground up because that old version just did not work at all. Perhaps under new direction Finn could do the character better justice.

Any chance he'll actually bother to learn the fight choreography this time around? Or would that be asking too much?

I think the most important part about adapting games to movies and TV is to honor the spirit of the material. The Last of Us is a rather rare example in the gaming space that is naturally built for a story-heavy HBO series. TLOU games have great gameplay, visuals, creature design, and memorable characters, but also a remarkably well-written storyline with everything ready for an adaptation. The only compromise they had to do was to cut back on the action (aka gameplay) and the series didn't suffer at all. That's not the case for most games, including many of my favorites.

Something like Resident Evil isn't built for a similar approach, the storyline is far too generic, convoluted, and melodramatic yet emotionally distant. The newer games (and remakes) have switched towards a more emotional, cinematic approach in the storytelling, but that still isn't the main selling point. It's the gameplay, all the expertly designed creatures and fun villains, the iconic tone that is a mixture of camp and genuine suspense, the gunplay, and wild set pieces. For a really good film adaptation of Resident Evil, I'd streamline the story a little bit and invest everything in the creatures, set design, and great kills. Those games deserve an adaptation that's genuinely suspenseful and gory, that doesn't take itself too seriously, and the production value has to be on point since the games are nowadays some of the most polished horror games ever made. It's a little bit funny in that sense, the Resident Evil series has always been greatly inspired by B-movies, but they can't be adapted on a B-movie budget, not anymore. Back in the day, they could've easily adapted the first three games into a series of fun, campy b-movies, but that would require artistry and vision, instead of just churning the material into a bland action-horror format. I do enjoy it to a point, admittedly, but not in any way or form as a great adaptation of Resident Evil.

Mortal Kombat is another example that should be a no-brainer in terms of adaptation. It's all about the kills, the bone-crunching martial arts, and the iconography of the character designs, stages, and fatalities. I've said it before, a really good Mortal Kombat movie would approach the lore not unlike the John Wick movies do, with great care, but it's simplistic and more or less set-dressing for all the fight sequences. Mortal Kombat, or any fighting game adaptation, should have top-notch action and fight choreography and it's unbelievable that still isn't the case. When you're making a movie about a game that's heavily inspired by Enter the Dragon and Bloodsport, how is it possible that the end result has choppy editing and lackluster fight choreography? Once again, there are things I like about former and current adaptations of Mortal Kombat, but the true spirit of the game series hasn't been fulfilled.

The real issue about all of these bad video game movies and series is that these games are simply used as fodder, there's no real passion or creativity in the process. Video game is an entirely different art format and changes have to be made to transform it, but the spirit should always be intact. Just like the new Dune movies, the story is changed and streamlined, but the spirit, the texture, and the heart of the novel are intact. That's the respect given to an adaptation of a book, the same should be the case for an adaptation of a video game. The spirit, the texture, and the heart. That's why I'm not sure what the point is with the upcoming Until Dawn movie. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited to watch it because I love the game and I want to see what decisions the filmmakers have made, but that's the issue in itself. Until Dawn is all about decisions, that's what people remember about it, the branching storyline with countless possibilities. The way I would've approached it, I would have made it into one of those Netflix interactive movies. Recreating the entire game would be too expensive, so I'd write a new story with a new cast of characters, but it would be greatly inspired by the original game and retain what makes the game special and so beloved.

I don't know why this turned into an essay. Perhaps I'm just ranting like a lunatic, but I have a passion for adaptations, remakes, and reimaginations. They can be just as special as the original work if they're handled with care.

Sir Christopher Nolan has made a bunch of good comic book films hasn’t he?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"