The Create-A-Hero RPG Season III IC Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CAHRPG

Civilian
Reaction score
WELCOME..
[FONT=&quot]TO THE CREATE-A-HERO RPG SEASON III[/FONT]

This informative pamphlet brought to you by:
[FONT=&quot]NiteMare Shape[/FONT]
- Editor-In-Chief
trustyside-kick - Editor
Erin - Editor

First, an Introduction:
It has begun.​

We are the Game Masters and this is our world. For many millennia, the small planet named Earth has continued a mundane, un-noteworthy existence. Then, the metahumans came. Slowly at first, the genetic creations of this new dawn soon began to sweep the planet - ranging from every continent to every sea. The Blue Blur of Chicago. Icon and the Survivor of Lost Haven. Pulse of the Blitzen District. Kensei of Japan. These metahumans increased awareness and ushered in a new age in human evolution. It has been an exciting, unpredictable adventure - and it has only begun.​

Super Terrestrial Review Inside Known Encounters, or S.T.R.I.K.E., has watched the evolution of these metahumans patiently - only interfering when absolutely necessary. Now, after a short time of observation, S.T.R.I.K.E. may be ready to make its move. The only question is, will they be a force of support or destruction to the metahumans? Only time will tell.​

The people of Earth and its heroes have seen destruction brought to their world by the invading alien forces of the Arlaaekean interstellar military. With the destruction wrought on this tiny planet and its moon, it is a wonder that the humans managed to overcome the sheer adversity and defeat the villainous Arlaaekeans. It was a war not without tragedy, however, as the young hero known as Blacklight gave his life to save others.​

Although they have largely rebuilt from the alien cataclysm that rained on their planet, and are still in the process of creating a substitute for their shattered moon and coping with the massive loss of life, these humans persevere. So far. Though the people of Earth think they have seen everything, they are poorly mistaken. Many secrets and lies have yet to be uncovered. Is Area 51 really just a testing site for experimental aircraft - or is there something more sinister about its nature? Does the city of Atlantis lie submerged in the ocean - or is it the product of pure fantasy? The key to uncovering these answers lies with the metahuman.​

One month has passed, and so much lies ahead...​
For Rules, Guidelines, Applications, and Rosters, go to:

Every universe has their own protectors, meet the CAH Superhero team:

miniguardians.png

[FONT=&quot]Find your way around the great metropolis of Lost Haven:[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]Full Map of Maine:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Maine.jpg
[/FONT]​

[FONT=&quot]Lost Haven:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
map2lg1.jpg
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]​
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Most Importantly:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]HAVE FUN![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](Or Else!)[/FONT]​

Last edited:
cooltext428410933.png

No More

It has been one month since Scott Morse left his life in Lost Haven behind. No longer does he take to the skies as the hero known as Icon, battling the forces of evil as they wage their war against the people of the world.

The death of his younger sister at the hands of his arch nemisis was more than he could bare. It was on that day that he made the decision that not another person would die because of him, and because of that he walked away from it all.

It isn't like he left the world unprotected. In Lost Haven there are a group of dedicated heroes standing vigilant, ready to spring into action at a moment's notice. A team more than capable of handling anything that could possibly happen...The Guardians...a team that he himself helped to form.

After walking away from his life as Icon, Scott relocated to the city of Salem, just 20 minutes north of Boston where he could live in anonimity. Taking a construction job, he goes about his daily life trying to forget about who he once was.
Scott stands before the bathroom mirror in his modest apartment, burning the whiskers from his face with a finely tuned beam of heat from his eyes. Since arriving in Salem, Scott had tried to keep to himself. He kept his interaction with those around him to a minimum, doing just what was needed to get through a day's work. Despite his best efforts, he had managed to strike up a friendship with one of the guys from work.

His new friend Marty had been trying to get him to go out with he and his girlfriend Debbie for quite some time, and finally Scott gave in. Marty's girlfried had been so excited that Scott had agreed to go out that against his protests she had arranged for a friend of hers to come along.

They had said that they would be by his apartment to pick him up around 8:00PM, and sure enough, just as he's pulling his shirt on over his head the buzzer rings.

"Right on time....Just my luck." He says aloud as he leaves his apartment, going down the stairs to meet his new friends.

*OLYMPUS MONS*

Dr. Gregory Murdock Atlas. I can’t believe it. I can’t believe he’s actually going to take me to his lab today! I’ve looked up to this man since I was crawling on all fours. He’s the entire reason I wanted to become an astronomer. He’s the reason I love science. I feel blessed to have such a great father. Without him, this would still be nothing more than a dream to me.

“Excited, Charles?”

I nodded vigorously. He chuckled and pushed open the doors to the lab.

“This way people,” he said. I wasn’t the only one. There was a group of future scientists, all around my age. It felt good to be surrounded by my kind of people.

“This,” Dr. Atlas said, “Is our crowning achievement.”

He gestured to an enormous machine that looked like some sort of futuristic telescope. It was easily the size of three or four school buses stacked length-wise. It was pointed skyward, going right through an opening in the ceiling and into the azure sky. Half of the group’s jaws drop. Including mine. This must be it. The Atmospherical Replication Unit.

“This machine both monitors and actually replicates the atmospherical conditions of any planet we point it to, making it easier for us to study here on Earth. Right now, a solar wind is sweeping through the solar system and has interesting effects on many different planets’ atmospheres. Right now, the device is aimed at Mars. We’ll start it up for you so that you can see this fine machine at work for yourselves.”

I have to keep myself from screaming with glee. It’s dorky, I know. But I can’t help it—never has anything like this ever been built. Just thinking of the possibilities—of how this machine can revolutionize astronomy is just overwhelming!

“Dr. Kaufman, please activate ARU.”

An older man in a white lab coat nods and punches a few buttons on a control panel adjacent to the machine. ARU buzzes and hums, lights begin flashing and a round “lens” on the tip of the machine begins to rotate, “focusing” in on the target.

“Activate the sonic transducer!”

Kaufman nods and punches a few more. Buttons. The buzzing and humming and mechanical whir of turning gears grows louder and louder. More lights flash. The doctor places his hand on my shoulder and smiles.

“You’ve chosen the right line of work, Charles.”

I return his smile with one of my own. Then—

“Dr. Atlas! Something’s wrong! The solar wind has caused some sort of power spike! ARU is overloading!”

“Dear God! Shut it off!”

“I can’t! It’s too far along now! It might—”

“Shut it off! Shut it off!”

There’s a panicked look on the group’s face. And mine.

Kaufman pulls a lever and the flashing lights stop. But the machine does it.

“No! Everyone, get down!” Dr. Atlas screams. But it’s too late. The base of the machine explodes and a brilliant ray of crimson light is fired from the atmosphere containment unit. The glowing ray comes right at me…

…and whizzes over my shoulder, striking a buff guy standing behind me. Charlie Atlas. Dr. Atlas’s son whom I have the misfortune of sharing a first name with. Charlie’s iPod’s earbuds and eardrum-splittingly loud music prevented him from hearing his father’s warning or the blast. He is blasted by the ray and sent to the ground, twitching as smoke billows around him.

“CHARLIE!!!” Dr. Atlas screams as he runs to his fallen offspring. He lifts the boy’s head and begins to weep.

“Oh Charlie, speak to me, son! Are you ok?!”

Charlie begins to move, just a little bit. He groans and then slowly sits up.

“Actually, yeah, I feel pretty ****in’ awesome.”

Charlie then rose to his feet…and continued to rise. He began to hover a meter off the ground.

“Holy crap! I’m one of them whatcha call its—metos or something.”

He proceeded to fire a bright ray of crimson light from his eyes, very similar to the one that hit him, at ARU, melting the machine into a huge glob of twisted metal.

“Tight. I’ma head out now,” he said as he took to the skies. Dr. Atlas stared up at the heavens, completely dumbfouned. He then turned to me.

“...So...how’s Bill?” he asked.

“Dad? He’s fine.”

“Yeah, he told me you wanted to be here. Anything for a fellow Delta Kappa Epsilon.”

theyoungster.jpg

I bust into my bedroom leaving the door wide open. Normally Id closes the door when I’m going to sleep because it’s a habit of mine but I’m so tired it doesn’t even matter at this point. Since Icon has disappeared I have been working like crazy trying keep the street’s of Lost Haven and every where else in the world safe. Now finally at 4:14pm I can get some well deserve rest.

Once I’m close to my bed I just fall forwards landing straight out on my bed, my nice and warm bed. I then close my eyes.

"Welcome to the Hotel California
Such a lovely place
(Such a lovely place)
Such a lovely face
Plenty of room at the Hotel California"

“NO NO NO NO NO!” I yell out loud as my ceil phone goes off. Without moving the rest of my body I reach into my pocket and pull out my phone.

“Yeah?”

“Hey Sam its Dave, look I’m sorry to call you on your day off man but the Hub is a little short staffed today and I wanted to know if you would mind coming in? It’s Karaoke night and I need some more hands.”

Being a hero all the time I almost forgot that I have a normal life to. This looks like a job for Sam.

“You’re just in luck Dace I’m literally walking through the door as we speak.”

“Hey thanks a ton Sam this means a lot man. I’ll see you when you walk in.”

“Okay.” I say as I hang up.

It is almost as if the universe knows when I want to get some rest hopefully I’ll finally be able to after work. I sit up from my bed and give my self a good couple of seconds then streak out the room heading to work.

Right as I come out of super speed in front of the building Dave is right there opening the door for me.

“Dang…” Dave says as I can tell I scare him a bit. “…Sam I knew you said you was outside the door I didn’t think you meant really outside the door.

“Yeah I just can’t seem to stay away from this place.” If he would have came to this door just a few seconds earlier he might have caught me using my powers.

“Well I’m here what do you need me to do?”

“Come on in and I’ll show you.”

For the past hour and maybe close to twenty minutes I and Dave and a couple of other employees have been getting the club together for tonight. My job was an easy one. All I had to do was set of the Karaoke station and the surround system. If I didn’t have to teach Dave I could have done this in 3 seconds flat since I have to show him every step that 3 seconds turn into a hour.

Once we were finish he was behind the bar cleaning some shot glasses and making sure he had a good enough quantity of liquor. While he was doing that I was sitting down looking at the paper. As I’m looking in the paper I happen to run across an interesting article.

“Hey Dave did you hear about this?” I hold the article up so it’s facing his direction.

“Are kidding me right now? Everyone heard about that man, where have you been. They have been talking about that for weeks.”

I have been saving the world my friend. “Really? I didn’t know it was something to talk about like that.”

“Sam everybody and their mother want to see that race. To see the Blue Blur to officially be known as the fastest man alive is going to be great, it’s going to be legendary. I have my ticket.”

“Your ticket? I thought it was going to be shown on T.V?”

“An event like this man they are doing it big. With state-of-the-art wriest bands that are going to be connected to satellite’s in the sky to fallow all the speedsters and they are going to show it at Lost Haven square where the race will begin. Its going to be huge.”

“I thought there were only going to be the Blur and Youngster?” I have to say this is all news to me. I didn’t know they were going to make a big thing out of this when I got the invite, well Youngster.

“Dude it wouldn’t be entertaining if he beat just one nobody, they had to get five more.”

Didn’t realize I was still known as a nobody. “I don’t know, I think a lot of people may be surprise when it’s not Blur making it pass that finish line first.” I’ve been waiting for this day since I got my powers. If I can beat Blur maybe people will finally begin to recognize me.

“Yeah right, you and the other 12 people who place a bet on him keep thinking that.”

“This race is not for money Dave, I’m… they are doing this for charity.”

“Yea they are but everyone else in the world has money on it, I know I do. ALL ON BLURRY BABY YEAAA!” He yells and i can do nothing but laugh.

He then continues to go back to do what he was doing and I just sit back in my chair. I wasn’t even aware that there was any other speedsters out there besides me and Blur. This is going to be more interesting than i thought. Only thing to do is just wait for the day of the race.

The Blue Blur

"Only way I'm doing this is if it's for charity."

"Matt...of course it is," Mr. Fry says with a smile I don't quite believe.

"All proceeds going to the rebuilding of all the damage done during the invasion."

"That's good. So it's a race around the world, eh?"

"Around the world a few times. The contestants only win bragging rights...do you think that kid will show up?"

"Youngster? I'm certain. He's a good kid with a lot to prove. Heck, he might even think he'll win this one."

"Well, start training and see that he doesn't"

[YT]SPFCHuEegsk[/YT]

I run through the sand, buried up to my waist. It helps improve my strength. It's sluggish, but I'm making progress and it's working.

Swimming in the ocean now, going close to a hundred miles an hour through the water. My body cuts through the waves like Michael Phelps on steroids.

Running down the interstate in Kansas, my whole body wrapped in a weighted suit. My legs feel almost dead, but I'm able to pass and weave through the cars with ease.

Back in Chicago, bench pressing weights in the gym. I'm getting better. I'm getting stronger.

I'm almost ready.

It had been one whole month since Goddess had lost the strength of her demonic powers, and the ravages of her mortal powers set free. A whole month of pain, meditation, control sessions, and learning of the world she now occupied. Where before, under the strains of her dark taint, Goddess was rushed, impatient, angry, and counter-productive, Goddess was now forced to patience, planned, calm, and had a new goal: To get her immense mortal power back under control. From her time in her demonic state, her mortal magic was being used as a barrier from her mortal soul, to her demonic corrosion, preventing her from becoming simply a pawn for her demonic slaves. Made doubly difficult by her need to connect some parts of her being to it, so she could use the power, but not be overcome. Apparently, in this time, her mortal magic overcame her reawoken demonic power in terms of sheer volume. It was basically killing her from the inside. Goddess, however, was always a quick study, and a natural talent for magic, and so within the month, she was back in control, safe from her own power.

However, the re-training had already begun, and Goddess decided to remain in the room often as she reconnected with long lost ancient power she would yet wield again. Goddess had returned to simple brown roses, wearing but an ornate gold chained, and gold metal hourglass necklace with purple sand, most of it being on the top. To learn of the outside world, those who thwarted her, those she dominated, those she had yet to confront. If a fight with them was inevitable, she would have to use more than the parlor tricks and simple spells she brought on last time. Next time, she would take it seriously, and would not fall to the same arrogance she had before. Last time, Goddess failed only due to the backlash of divine power which eradicated the demonic power within her. This time, she would have no such weakness. Reconnecting with the magic native to her world, to her soul, and to her very basis would strengthen her. Goddess would abandon the direct strategies, which she considered playful, in favor of much more powerful magics. With a firm resolve to her original mission to heart, she had slowed her aging, and reconnected with the immense powers beneath, above, to the sides, within, and outside of her own being. Her magic, finally calm, was ready to be unleashed on her targets and desires. However, there were some new things to contend with....

"My Goddess, we have located some magical items for you as you've requested. But they're not the...quality you asked for. The sort of items you want haven't been in existance for some time, and the purges, alongside... ahem... reckless destruction of certain items of education eradicated most of the knowledge needed to make them," the man who came to save her before described to her. Goddess was not amused with his comment, knowing full well she had a hand in destroying the information.

"And my home?"

"As I have said before, my Goddess. There are few magos left in the world, and most people who use mana do so through items runed in magic they cannot read, only replicate. And the most powerful of items have their words hidden..." his voice was shrinking some, detecting the frustration in Goddess.

"So you're telling me, out of all the people in this following, I am the only true magos?"

"There are roughly four to five left. Two are those you fought before and are dormant in the frost rest, and the other one or two are unknown, and the last is you, who is barred magically from performing the spells required on the land your home rests..."

"You've had a month to locate someone who can set foot in the area other than myself, where are you on that?"

"A little tougher. We know where your two former friends-" Goddess winced at this "-are, and the one unrelated to you. We don't even know if there really are any more magos than this outside of rumor. We approached the one outside of your past dealings, and found he was not only probably too weak for the task, but has heard of you, and wants nothing to do with you. And..." he trailed off.

"And? The others?"

"Their very lands turned on us, identifying you in our purpose, and obliterated those who meant to commune. I'm sure we're not invited. We've honestly been more worried we may have awoken them to your return..."

Goddess turned away some, in thought. She knew she was still very powerful, but probably not yet ready to take on her former comrades, who undoubtedly had stayed true to their power, but had amassed powerful items of magic as well. Firepower Goddess herself did not have. She knew the spell of the frost rest as a spell used to preserve someone until the seal of purpose is broken. It may have been for her, it may not have been. But she's been active for a few months now, and hasn't detected the risings of great magic in a world almost devoid of it any longer. She should have felt them.

"Perhaps if you were to instruct us in the ways of magic outside of the basic spells we can use. Stronger magic like the chanelling magic you use..." the man began to ask her. Goddess, half in fear, half in rage, spun to him.

"You couldn't even begin to comprehend the forces you deal with when speaking magic. You replicate it as it stands, thinking you're masters of the craft, but you have no clue the power you intend to invoke. Your bieng couldn't even hold up against speaking the true names of Dominions you wish to summon forth with your power. They would override you at their mere mention and completely obliterate you in an accidental backlash of connection you ask for. The reason chanelling magic is rarely ever used, is because most magos fear they could not contain the immense power of the tiniest flicker of the gods they ask for, and would detonate on the spot," a small cough in the excitment, her voice was rash, angry, yet concerned. "Their names are not invoked so liberally. Their names have even been used to commit suicide. Anything their names are written on becomes their domain, and always requires a great exchange for success, lest it turns on the user which consumes them to power the magic. Why do you think they have false names used for worship?"

The man had nothing to say to her, he just remained quiet in fear of her wrath.

"Why do you think I cannot go back home? I require another magos to help alleviate the seal, and lend me enough power to bargain with the god who prevents me and all associated with me from being there to let me go back home, where I may resume my studies, and make sure my break from my demonic powers didn't unleash any of the beasts I had there."

"Well, your home is completely abandoned except for a few magic weapon wielders who check on it once every few months just to make sure..."

"So there's something there they are worried about. Probably the magical experiments my husband and I used to work on, and later on, just I..." Goddess moved into thought, but quickly came back with, "Take me to the magos still active. I must convince him to let me back in my home, where I hopefully still have a store of magical items. My quest is not yet done, my purpose not complete, and..." a few coughs from the worked up Goddess, "and there is still so much left to do. Leave me, prepare a group."

"But Goddess..."

"Do not question me. Send for my cat, and Patches. I have special instructions for them."

The man left as Goddess took off a necklace she was wearing, with an hourglass on it.

"Not much time to tarry. I must regain my immortality, as mortal magic isn't enough to contend with infinity..."

"And why do you say that?" a purr, and a sly phrase from her cat, rubbing against her leg, and Patches standing behind her.

"When my immortality was released from me, so was the pact of health and longevity. The plague is upon me again. Obviously the world did not fall to it, and there must be something the healers of this world can do for me i-"

"Bubonic Plague. Way ahead of you. There are treatments for it, and you'd normally have to go to the hospital."

"Hospital? Ah... the healing shrines of today."

"Yeah..."

"Then let us depart to this hospital."

"No need. However, the problem is, the magic in the plague died down from when you combat it, and now isn't as powerful as it once was. Patches got the antibiotics, and I think you can treat it as you did before: enchant the healing herbs, and then use them to combat the organic and magic forces at hand."

The Goddess smiled, not a grin of domination, but of happiness and relief, "Well done, my pet," she scratched his head. "After this is done, and my quest, I shall find a way to reverse your curse permanantly."

"Thank Patches, his clout got us the stuff we need."

"Thank you, very much. Your Goddess is very pleased," she pat him on the head.

"Well, let's start then..."

For three days, Goddess' cat and Patches guarded the door from those interested, and those looking to give thanks and praise while she recuperated. One leg of her journey possibly down, she still had much to do, and little time to do it. For every moment she was awake, the ancient forces against her could reawaken at any time, and any new forces much like the self styled heroes of this forsaken town may make an attempt against her.

Now

I sigh with the sheer repetitiveness of the situation. Day after day, it's the same thing. I wake up in my room (cell), and the first thing I do is head over to the Doctor's. Yeah, that's actually what the call her. The Doctor. No first name, no last name. Just like The Director. The only person's name I do know is that of my new 'partner'. Bobby. Bobby Hawkes. Well, it's really Robert, but I like to call him Bobby because it annoys him a little. Although he doesn't seem to mind when the Doctor calls him Bobby...

Anyway, the Doc gives me look over. Checks the old pulse and pressure, shines a light in my eyes, tests the reflexes. Hooks me up to machines and watches all the data as if it actually makes sense. It probably does to her. She's a lot smarter than me. Book smart, that is. No one's is street smart as I am. Mostly.

After all that, she forces me to test my control over the gland. I've pretty much made every object in her office invisible over the last few weeks. And while I'm invisible, she runs ever more tests. She's probably sucked enough blood out of me to fill up a whole new person.

After the morning check up, it's Bobby's turn. He spends the day going over regulations, procedures, and everything else someone needs to become an agent.

Yeah, you heard right, they want me to be an agent.

I remember the day the Director told me like it was yesterday. But it was actually a month ago.

Then

"Sit down," Bobby says, irritated.

"I'd rather stand."

"Let the man stand, Bobby. His little acts of defiance make him feel better." The Director smiles smugly, and I just want to knock that grin onto the floor. "Alberts!" he shouts with a snap of his fingers.

"Right here, sir," the little weasel says, handing the Director a file. Oh, yes. Alberts. I met him my first day here. You look up the definition of pencil-pushing kiss-ass in the dictionary, and this guy takes up the whole page. He's anal, a stickler for paperwork, and the Director's personal toady.

The Director open the file an looks over it, placing it flat on his desk. I sigh and tap my foot as he turns each page and skims over it, even though I get the distinct impression he's already memorized every page. He finally decides to look up at me.

"I think it's about time you learned why you're here, Mr. Cole."

"Because I apparently signed my life away to you as a human guinea pig?"

"Well, that certainly is part of it." He looks over at Bobby, they guy who was so helpful in nearly giving me a concussion. "Mr. Hawkes here is to be you're new partner."

I look over at Bobby, then the Director. "Partner?"

"Yes, Mr. Cole. You're going to be an Agent. You're working for me now."

archangelbanner1.jpg

Lost Haven
Now

"This is an life-force, like no other! Never before have I--I WANT MORE!!"

leechDRAINarch1.png

Lost Haven
The Guardians HQ
1 Month Ago

"I come before you now, Michael, for there is a prophecy I have foreseen that must not go unchecked. I fear for you, Michael, because it appears that you are about be struck with much pain in the months to come. The key is to be virtuous, Michael. Achieve the 7 virtues, Michael, and you will have a better chance against The Seven."

"Who is The Seven?"

"The Seven is a group of demons, personally led by Lucifer himself. They are responsible for the Seven Deadly Sins of Man, Michael: Pride, Anger, Greed, Lust, Sloth, Envy...and Gluttony. Though they cannot all walk the Earth, for Lucifer is forever bound to Hell until the End of Days, behind the Gates of Hell they can still spread their mischief and deceit onto the realm of this world."

"So to help me in defeating The Seven, or the Seven Deadly Sins of Man, I have to be virtuous...you know, I never really understood just what exactly that meant aside from it being a good thing. I mean...I know what the 7 virtues are: Chastity, Temperance, Charity, Diligence, Patience, Kindness, and Humility. But for instance...how the heck is me practicing Chastity going to help against a Lust Demon?"

"You will not be facing these demons directly, I merely said they could all walk the Earth, Lucifer aside, should the Gates of Hell become open. What the prophecy has shown me, is that they will influence dangerous and powerful beings to become drawn to you, simply because of what you are: a Divine Agent of God. These beings will not even be aware that The Seven is what has drawn them to you for they are not directly tied say for the great Sins they embrace."

Just my luck. Typical. I have a natural 'hey, pick on me, I'm the Jesus-freak superhero angel dude' for all the demons and other nasty things of hell to see and I didn't even know it. What, do I have some big golden and shiny aura that just rings 'ATTACK ME!'?

"But I must leave you with that, for now, Michael. For these prophecies are never 100% clear and I must attend to other things to fully unravel this mystery before me."

"I guess I can talk to Father Damian, to help me understand this more. Thanks for the heads up, Bath Kol."

Lost Haven
Starbucks Coffee
29 Days Ago

I've been swirling around in my ceramic cup of coffee for a few seconds now, and I already know I'm annoying Grace. She always hated whenever I'd do that. But she doesn't know about what is about to come out of my lips. She doesn't know what I just realized I have to do.

We still have not gotten back together, though she did finally understand what happened to me a few days ago with that whole Goddess incident. But...that spirit of Love told me I have to let her go, and that if we are meant to be we will end up with each other...but it's only with this new recent prophecy about The Seven that I see I have to get her out of my life sooner than expected.

I stop swirling my spoon around. It's time to do it. It's going to be fast, but that only makes it more harsh. I need her to hate me now, so that she doesn't try to follow me or try to understand.

"I'm going to look for a new agent. Starting Friday, you are no longer under my employ. I'll mail you your check next week. I'm sorry."

I get up fast, amplifying the rudeness of the entire ordeal, and walk out the coffee house.

I didn't even address her with her name, treating her as though she was a nobody.

She's going to hate me.

But it'll keep her safe.

...God help me.

Please keep her safe.

Last edited:

No More

We arrive at this little cafe in town and head inside. It's basically your typical coffee bar, with tables and booths, and even individual lounge areas spread out around the cafe.

Marty and Deb lead us over to one of the lounge areas, which consists of a small table surrounded by a love seat and a couple of plush chairs. We sit, place our orders and just talk.

Well, they talk. I really don't have alot to say. I haven't had much to say at all since....I left Lost Haven. Deb's friend, Kelly, tries to make conversation but I do my best to evade her attempts.

I almost feel bad, she's a nice enough girl and she is quiet pretty, but I didn't leave my life in Lost Haven behind to do the same things I was doing before with a whole new group of friends.

I just can't do it. It's too dangerous....I can't risk anybody else's lives because of who I used to be.

After a few unsuccessful attempts, she decides that she'll have better luck conversing with Deb and Marty, which she does. The three of them laugh and joke, and every now and then I throw in a forced laugh or a fake smile, and I'm reminded that even though I'm surrounded by people who have gone out of their way to befriend me, I'm still completely alone.

theyoungster.jpg

I finished up helping Dave and the others and stayed for a bit just to hang out but now that the club is open and people are coming in, now is a good time as any to head out.

“Well it’s been fun but I’m head out.” I yell to Dave over the music while seating at the bar.

I watch as he pours customers some shots. “You sure you don’t want to stay a bit? I figured we could do our Flight of the Conchords bit.” He yells back.

“Normally I would man but I got to get home. We’ll do it tomorrow.” I let him know as I get up from my seat.

Truth is I don’t have to get home, its 8:58pm way past the time I’m post to do my patrol.

While heading towards the door my attention is slightly distracted as I look at a couple of honeydips at the corner of the club. While not paying attention I bump into a person.

“Oh I’m sorry.” I say as I grab this beautiful girl from falling over.

“Watch where you’re going next time.” She replies as she regains her balance.

I release my hands from her side. “Will do.” I then proceed to walk pass her.

“Sam!?”

Not even 3 seconds had pass from me hitting the young lady and someone calls my name. I then turn around and to my surprise the girl I hit is someone I know.

“Lexa?” To say that I’m surprised would be an understatement.

“Oh my God, Sam.” She then runs into my arms and embraces me with a hug so tight it was as if she thought I was dead.

“After the invasion I thought you were dead.”

Well that explains the tense bear hug.

“No I survived it, one of the lucky people that did.”

“I went to your house a couple of days after but nothing was there. God it’s great to see you. I’m happy that you are alive. How is your mother doing?”

I knew that question was going to be the fallow up. I get it all the time and I’m still not use to answering it. I don’t think I ever will be.

“She past away during the invasion.” It’s still hard to say it.

“Oh Sam I’m sorry. How are you holding up?”

“I doing well, at first it was hard but I’m doing better.” I need to change the subject. “So what is a rich girl like your self doing at a club like this?”

“This was the first club I sneak into. Since then when ever I want to get away I come here. People don’t tend to recognize me. Question is what are you doing here? Looking to break some luck girl’s heart of waiting to save someone again?”

She still believed that I saved her. I wish I came up with a better lie.

“Not doing that saving thing, I’ll leave that to the heroes. But to answer your question I work here.”

She looks surprised to my answer.

“I would have never seen you as the type to work at a club.”

“I mainly do maintenance work. An old teacher of mine owns the club and he gave me the job.”

“That’s nice. If you want you can work for me at my father’s company.”

“Thanks for the offer but I like it here.” The hours our perfect for me to do my afternoon activities.

“The offers on the table.”

As I’m about to tell her I have to she grabs my and drags me to the dance floor.

“You should dance with me.” She suggests.

Wait dancing, she can’t be serious. Now if I’m stopping a run away train no problem. Saving people from a burning building, no sweat but for me to dance is like Lex Luthor forcing a kryptonite drink down Superman’s throat. Not good at all.

“Lexa as much as I would love to dance with you I can’t.” I yell to her as she continues to pull me to the dance floor. But thanks to this loud music I’m pretty sure my words were not heard or either she doesn’t want to pay them no mind.

Right as we are literally 3 inches from the dance floor Dave comes out of no where and stops me while Lexa is still pull me.

“Sam dude we have to…” He then stops as he sees Lexa holding my hand.

“Oh I’m sorry I didn’t know you was with someone Sam.”

I then look back and Lexa then back at Dave. “It’s cool man. Is there something wrong with the equipment or something?”

“Naw man that’s cool, look people are asking for us to sing man we got to.”

Before replying I lock eyes with Lexa for a brief second.

“I would like to but I just meant my friend who…” Before I could finish yelling to Dave telling him I can’t sing with him Lexa interrupts me.

“No Sam it’s cool I’ll love to hear you sing.” She says into my ear.

“You sure you don’t mind?”

“Yeah I think this will be great.”

“Okay.” I’d rather sing instead of dance any time.

Moments later I and Dave were on the stage getting ready to do our bit.

“Hey Mike could you bring the lights down a little bit we are going to do one of our slow jams.”

[YT]Jgghjx2Ghqk[/YT]

“Lookin round the room
I can tell that you

are the most beautiful girl in the... room.”

(Once I was finish with that line I look Lexa in her eyes.)

“In the whole wide room.”

“And when you're on the street

dependin on the street

I bet you are definitely in the top three.

Good lookin' girls on the street.”

“Dependin on the street.”

“And when I saw you at my mate's place

I thought what is she doin..
at my mate's place
how did Dave get
a hottie like that to a party like this
Good one Dave,”

“You're a legend Dave
”
(I look over at Dave.)

“I asked Dave if hes gonna make a move on you

hes not sure
I said Dave do you mind if I do

he says he doesn't mind
but I can tell he kinda minds
but I'm gonna do it anyway
I see you standin all alone by the stereo
I dim the lights down to very low
Here we go.”

(I and Dave both sing the chores together.)
You're so beautiful
You could be a waitress
You're so beautiful
You could be an air hostess in the sixties

You're so beautiful

You could be a part time model

And then I seal the deal,
I do my moves, I do my dance moves.

“Its 12:02,
just me and you..
and seven other dudes around you on the dance floor

I draw you near, lets get out of here

Lets get in a cab, I'll buy you a kebab

I can't believe, that I'm sharin a kebab
with the most beautiful girl,
I have ever seen with a kebab.
Why don't we leave
lets go to my house,
we can feel each other up on the couch

oh no, I don't mind takin it slow-oh-oh
no-oh-oh, yeah-heh.”

“You're so beautiful”

“You’re like on of those girls I definitely had been talking to in the chat room.”

“You're so beautiful.”

“Wild****Angel22@yahoo”

“You’re so beautiful.”

“You could be a part time model

but you'll probably still have to keep your normal job”

“A part time model”

“Spendin part of your time modelin..
and part of your time next to me.”

Once me and Dace finish singing the crowd gave us a standing ovation.

The Present Day
The Offshore Shamrock - An Irish bar just inside of the current "boundries" of the Italian West Haven.

A familiar figure leans on the main bar. Tired and feeling the burn he orders another pint in an accent that is neither Irish, nor Italian. The fatigue shows in his face, much thinner than it was just a month ago and the face itself looks unkempt and messy. Untended whiskers which have seen neither razor nor scissors in a long time.

Isaac wears stress with little subtlety. He has clearly been burning the candle at both ends and taking on far more responsibility than he's comfortable with. Juggling the sculpting of a new subsidiary company, attending to Renee regularly, following up on keeping Themis in check and growing an unofficial reputation amongst the "right" people (which can only be done by making his presence felt) were enough work...

...but then he'd found the bug.

It didn't so much surprise him, he thought it would be just a matter of time and he didn't trust anything he was given generally anyway. But since finding the bug, an obvious Government plant, he'd driven the car a little less frequently, mainly driving it these days to divert suspicion. But it added to the pressure he was under and forced him to spend even more time, effort and funding setting up his own private bases at a few strategic locations around his new adopted home.

All of this whilst on very little sleep. He'd built up a dependence on alcohol and coffee to help carry him through his way of life and he needed another hit.

Looking down the bar he saw a girl smiling at him, he responded in kind instinctively, showing teeth brighter than his heavy eyes. He took his weight off his lead leg and stood up straight, cursing under his breath that he "broke the seal" too early and made for the mens room.

Returning a few minutes with a lighter bladder and considerably more comfortable than when he left he stepped back up to the now empty bar. Looking around to see where people went he heard a woman's scream coming from out in the alley behind the bar. Checking the sole bartender had his back to him racking up some of the last dishes, Fontaine grabbed at the acrylic bulge in his pocket and snapped on some gloves as he ran to the side exit.

"B**** this is the last God damned time you hold out on me, you hide for a week, make me look like a God damned fool and you think I'll let you f***ing live! You know you made me do this to you!"

"I didn't hold out on you, Jake. You know me, I'd never hold out on you baby. I just got this no-good trick who stole three Johns pay from me... I couldn't go back to you withot that money, Jake. You know I wouldn't..."

WHAM!

"Jake" doled out a backhand which fired her into the nearby wall of the bar, where the girl slumped down and sobbed.

[BLACKOUT]"Jake... I think you're just what I f***ing needed tonight. I'm going to try and smack the pathetic ******** right out of you. Hopefully right out of the pair of us..."[/BLACKOUT]

"What the f*** are you supposed to be? All of the other costumed heroes cleaned up all of the holiday sales before you could get to the store?" Pointing at Isaac's street clothes with balaklava and gloves ensemble.

[BLACKOUT]"What, you're the fashion police? I thought you pimp-*******s were supposed to have style."[/BLACKOUT]

The pimp runs in fast and reckless, as Isaac slips his charge and throws a knee directly into his chest, knocking the wind out of Jake's lungs early.

Isaac circles around, emitting a too-comfortable grin from the balaklava. Jake, bent over grabs at something from near a heap of trash bags and rises up to swing it at Fontaine's head. Isaac throws a forearm up in front of the swing, as it sends heavy vibrations through his forearm and fracturing his ulna. Fontaine however feels nothing, until he counters and then all he feels is Jake's nose break and squelch between his knuckles as the familiar viscous scarlet fluid flows from the pimp's nose.

"Kick his ass, baby!"

Isaac circles in again to unload on the stunned man.

"Come on, Jake baby. Kick that freak's ass!"

[BLACKOUT]"JAKE?!?"[/BLACKOUT]

Isaac gets blind-sided by a hook to the ear as the pimp swings in blind desperation.

[BLACKOUT]"Right..."[/BLACKOUT]

Fontaine sizes the erratic pimp up and unleashes a flurry of punches, finishing with an uppercut which snaps the pimp's head back as he slumps against the wall.

Isaac turned to the woman in his balaklava and just shook his head in disbelief as he left the scene, and the pair, in peace.

Just when he needed life to be simple... Fate has a cruel sense of humour.

theyoungster.jpg

Once off the stage Lexa made her way towards me. I wonder what’s running through her head? When I singing lord knows I did make a lot of eye contact with her as if I was singing to her.

“Sam I didn’t know you can sing.” She tells me as she gave my shoulder a light punch. “You have been holding out on me.”

“Well I really can’t sing, I’m just very good at mimicking other people voices. It’s something I found out I could do not to long ago.”

“Either way it was still good, in a funny way. You should really think about making singing a move.”

If there was just a little more light I’m pretty sure she might be able to see the funny face i made to that comment.

“My singing voice isn’t my own. Besides I don’t think I’m as good as you are saying I am.”

“Trust me Sam I have an ear for this kind of thing.”

“I think you may want to get…”

BOOM!

“…wait, did you hear that?”

“Hear what?”

I know for a fact I heard something. One thing I have an ear for is knowing when something doesn’t sound right. Now is one of those times. I focus my super hearing to discover the origin of the noise. I tune out the sound of the music and everything else around including Lexa. I steady begin to pick something up but its moving incredibly fast.

BOOM!

There is a bang or something going off and sounds of alarms to fallow. Whatever going on it’s not good, I have to check it out.

“Hey listen Lexa I have to run okay I’ll call you.”

I immediately make my way to the exit not thinking twice about how rude it was for me to leave her like this. While heading to the door I grab my book-bag that laid behind the counter. Once outside I do a quick glance around the area to make sure there’s nobody in sight. I then streak off to where I hear all the commotion. While running in super speed I change from my normal street clothes to my Youngster uniform.

While running I notice yellow blurs across from me two streets over, so I quickly change my direction. Who ever it is they are fast but not faster than me. I then increase my speed to catch up. Sure enough I began to catch up and once the unknown speedster seen that he or she then slowed down and came to a stop.

“Is there a reason why you’re breaking bank windows?” I ask as I myself come to a stop just a couple of feet in front of the speedster.

“You’re not the hero I was looking for.” By the sound of the voice this speedster is a man.

“I’m sorry to disappoint you.”

“I don’t have time for boys, kid. I’m looking for the Blur.” He tells me.

I look around the area and then back at the mysterious speedster.

“I don’t see him around so Youngster is going to have to do.”

He doesn’t reply to my comment at first he just looks at me and laughs.

“Pass this message to him. Tell him that at the race he better watch his back.”

“First off do I look like my…” As I was about to complete my sentence the speedster took off.

“…name is Hermes to you?” I say obviously to myself.

It’s clear to me everyone is gunning to beat the Blur. Have I not proven myself to these people yet?

“I’m going to win this thing, I got to win.” I tell myself trying to build confidence.

“But to do so I got to be ready.”

No More

After some awkward conversation in the coffee bar, Deb and Marty decide to go someplace where everyone can loosen up just a bit more. So the four of them leave the coffee bar and head to Marty's car. It isn't until they have crossed over to the next town when they finally explained exactly where they were going.

To a karaoke bar.

During his time as Icon, Scott had seen many horrors. From the atrocities of Nautican Island, to the terrors of the Arlaaekean invasion, however nothing could possibly prepare him for a night of karaoke in a small back alley bar called "The Tornado."

So Scott just sits back in the backseat of Marty's car as Kelly again tries to make small talk with him, and prepares himself for the remainder of the night.

In the Infirmary of Guardians Headquarters

Isaac sits on a sheet of butchers paper in the infirmary. A practically useless piece of butchers paper in this case as he's still fully clothed, he's never otherwise in this building. He certainly wouldn't allow it since finding the bug. He sits and he waits.

The doctor is in the other room at a computer console, going over past test results for other patients and checking his schedule for future appointments. The monitor in front of him suddenly flicks away from the doctor's regular tasks and a man in a military suit appears.

"I'm here to talk to you about the patient waiting for you in the other room..."

"The Vigilante. He is not to be cleared for active duty. Call from the top. The signs of wear and tear are showing. We want him shelved for the short term before he cracks."

"...if he passes don't bother coming in to work tomorrow. And I wouldn't recommend chasing up any pay owed, either..."

The screen flicks back to normal as the doctor sits, stunned and unsure of whether or not what he just saw really happened. The doctor spends the next ten minutes calming himself down and straightening himself out before going to see his waiting patient.

"Good morning." The doctor says greeting the young man who sits elevated slightly above comfort level on a bed covered with butchers paper.

Isaac raises an eyebrow as if to say "Good morning?!? It's not even 4 AM yet!" as he finally mumbles back [BLACKOUT]"Morning."[/BLACKOUT]

"Alright. Lets take a look at that arm."

Isaac exhales and holds an arm out for the doctor's inspection.

"Nice try... Now show us the other one."

Isaac drops his healthy arm and shows him the other one. [BLACKOUT]"Oh. Sorry. It can't be too bad, I've already forgotten which one's the bad one."[/BLACKOUT]

The doctor grabs Isaac's arm by the wrist, scrutinising the Vigilante's face for both his weak story and for signs of pain as he began to manipulate and prod at the arm.

Isaac sat deadpan, eyes focused on the doctor yet somehow distant, as if bored by the entire ordeal.

The doctor continued prodding further up the arm which Isaac continued to hold up his broken arm.

[BLACKOUT]"Are we done here?"[/BLACKOUT] He asked the doctor.

"Not quite." the doctor said, considering what he was seeing.

"Here hold this." He said to Isaac, giving him a 4lb weight.

[BLACKOUT]"I don't know what this is supposed to prove... I can curl a hell of a lot more than just..."[/BLACKOUT]

"Just hold the weight, hold your arm straight out like this and hold the weight."

Isaac held the weight at arm's length. Smirking and shaking his head as if it was simple.

"Now roll your arm and wrist to the left while still holding the weight."

Isaac turned his arm and wrist to the left and it was more than the fracture could allow, the weight dropping to the floor with a clank.

The doctor smiled up at him, "You may think you can be smart and hide your wounds, but your body can't lie to me."

"You're not ready to go back out in the field, I'm going to recommend you take more laidback roles for the immediate future and we'll see how that arm of yours looks in a few weeks."

Isaac looked defeated, he could see that this doctor was a stickler. There was no point arguing the call with him, its his job on the line if Fontaine were to aggravate the injury back in the field.

[BLACKOUT]"Alright... can we make it a week though? I know my body and it tends to recover quite a bit faster than others tend to, as hard as that may be to believe."[/BLACKOUT]

The doctor looked Isaac straight in the eye and smiled "I work in a building catering to the health of a man with wings, another who could fly without wings, a man who can have his jaw torn off his face and regenerate a new one in seconds and another who can move so fast he can start tornado like winds..."

"I'm not likely to say you can go back to active duty in a week, but if it makes you feel better we'll have another look then. OK?"

[BLACKOUT]"OK."[/BLACKOUT]

Isaac walked down the hall towards the training room.

A monitor flicked on in front of him and a military figure filled the screen. "So... how were the results?"

[BLACKOUT]"I'm fine. Good to go."[/BLACKOUT]

"I would not recommend lying to a commanding officer. If it weren't for the fact I'm a little proud that you're so anxious to get back out there I'd ... I'd make your life very uncomfortable."

[BLACKOUT]"So why ask me a question if you already knew the answer?"[/BLACKOUT]

"To see how you WOULD answer. That's alright. We can find you something to do. We'll get someone to cover your patrol and you can take some... less active duties for the short term. Round out your repertoire."

[BLACKOUT]"What do you mean by round out my repertoire?"[/BLACKOUT]

"You've seemed a little more distant of late. We want to build your image in the public eye. There's a little program we've been running called Right-track. It involves heroes going out and making time for the public and giving small talks to local school children."

[BLACKOUT]"Oh God no..."[/BLACKOUT]

"Yes. We need a speaker for it and we think it would be a good opportunity for you to interact with the public whilst letting you take a bit of a break from your regular duties to rehabilitate."

[BLACKOUT]"I really don't think that this would be a good idea..."[/BLACKOUT]

"You'll be perfect. You're a regular Joe. You can show them that ANYONE can go on and make a difference if they make the good decisions in life."

[BLACKOUT]"I am really not sure that I'm the guy you should have out there talking with children..."[/BLACKOUT]

"Well, you're going anyway. We need to send someone and you're the only one physically incapable of going out in the field."

[BLACKOUT]"I'm not physically incapable. I've fought with broken bones before. I'd be fine out in the field."[/BLACKOUT]

"You have no powers to begin with, we're not sending you out less than 100%. These times you talk about where you've fought with broken limbs, you weren't part of a team then. Chances were you didn't have much of a choice. You have teammates now. We can cover for you til you get healthy."

[BLACKOUT]"Yeah, but..."[/BLACKOUT] The monitor flicked back off. Conversation terminated.

Isaac stood alone in the hall-way wondering how the hell he let his life slip like this...

cooltext428410933.png

No More

Scott sits at a small table inside The Tornado, and as someone belts out their drunken rendition of Margaritaville, he suddenly wishes that he did not possess super hearing.

Deb and Marty have left him alone at the table while they rush up to the DJ to hand in the pieces of paper that they wrote down the songs that they plan on singing, and Kelly has excused herself while she looks for a bathroom.

So he sits at the table alone.

He's tried hard over the last month to not feel sorry for himself, but he knows that he has failed miserably in that. In his self imposed exile, he has managed to alienate not only from his friends and family, who he has not spoken to since after Jenny's funeral, but to those who would try to be his friends.

He tells himself that it's for the best, that he can't have a normal life because of who he once was. He can't afford to have friends, or a family...because they are always the ones who pay the price for him being who he was.

His days as Icon may be over, but he knows that there is always a chance that someone somewhere down the line might put the pieces of Icon's life together and figure out just who Scott Morse really is...or was. And that person might just make his friends and family a target...

Just like Jenny.

Scott is so deep in thought that he doesn't even notice Kelly come back to the table, and is startled when she sits down next to him. He looks to her and gives her a slight smile then looks back down at the table top.

"So, who was she?" Kelly asks out of nowhere.

"What?" Scott asks, surprised by the question.

"The one that you lost. Who was she?"

Scott looks at Kelly...really looks, and for the first time sees something in her that he recognizes but just can't place.

"What makes you think I lost anyone?" He asks, evading the question slightly.

"You just have that look." She says, before quickly adding, "I've lost people...and you just have that look."

DAY BEFORE THE RACE

I stand in front of my house looking out at what used to be a lively farm when my mother and I both kept it running together, as a family. The sun shines brightly down upon my face as the wind blows swiftly through the field of grass. It is moments like this when I really think of my mother.

Ever since that day I became a hero my life has been in the ‘Fast line’ so to speak. It feels good for it to semi slow down so I can try to get back to living a normal life. Things are really beginning to look up again.

Tomorrow will be a day that I’ll finally be able to have some fun not as Sam but as the Youngster. God knows he needs it too because since Icon has been gone Youngster has been working like crazy.

Wow, listen to me I’m saying Youngster like him and I are not one in the same. But when you think about it no hero really is one person. You have to be two different people just keep balance in your life. As I look at my life I see it. As Youngster I can almost do anything but I have to be careful of my actions. I have an image I have to up hold. Peoples lives are in my hands on an everyday bases. I can’t afford to make any mistakes I have to be close to perfect. On the other hand there is Sam. When I’m Sam it feels as if the weight has been lifted. Only thing I have to worry about is school, chicks, staying in touch with friends. Just being normal.

Truth is as much as I try to live a good and normal life as Sam I can’t. The hero side demands too much from me probably from every hero. We put our normal lives on hold so others can live theirs.

Look at me getting all deep.

“I really need to stop coming out here by myself.” I say as I turn around to head in the barn.

As I turn around I see Lexa standing there.

“Your right you do need to stop coming out here by yourself…” she then walks up next to me and rest her left hand on my shoulders and looks me in the eyes. “…next time call me.”

I watch as she moves pass me and look at the sun in all its glory.

“Is it always this beautiful out here?” She asks as she turns to face me.

“Can’t say I’ve really notice.” That is obviously a lie.

“Oh I get it you have to try and be tough around the ladies.”

I laugh a bit. “Naw I don’t have to be tough around you Lexa. Really you are one of the few people that I feel like I can be myself with.”

“That’s really nice to hear.”

“I’m not saying it to be nice I’m saying it because it’s true. For that fact I have to ask you a question.”

She still thinks that I have saved her life and I need her to think other wise. It would be easy for her to put two and two together and figure things out. I got to make this believable.

I turn around so my back is facing her and begin to pace back and forth.

“That day of the accident was a day that changed my life because it was the day I met you.” Also the day when I really found out about my powers. “On that day you thought a truck had hit me when i came to shield from harm, the truth is it didn’t Lexa. As much as I would like to say I’m your hero and have superpowers I can’t. I need you to know that. Now I said I can be myself around you and that is what I’m doing. I feel that since you think I’m your hero is why you are friends with me like you owe me something. I’m just as normal as you, cut me and I bleed…” Maybe I shouldn’t have watched Spider-Man last night. “… I just need you to know that I’m not who you think I am. I’m just me.”

She only stands staring at me. I can’t tell if this is a stare of disappointment of what.

“Is that what you think Sam? That I’m only friends with you because I think you are a boy with powers? Sam I’m friends with you because you’re a wonderful guy and who I am its hard for me to find nice guys like yourself.”

“It just every time I see you your making a comment about me being a hero of something.”

She then breaks out laughing. “We are having this conversation because of me joking about you being a hero? Sam I only am kidding with you that’s all. Member how I thought you got hit by the truck but it was my mind playing tricks on me. I did get hit in the head remember? I only say that stuff messing with you.”

“Really?”

“Yeah Sam really.”

“I really feel stupid now.”

She walks up besides me and grabs my arm and begins to giggle.

“I’m glad this happened now we have one of those odd moment memories to share with people.”

“I guess so.” I say as we both laugh.

A couple of hours later I and she spent the rest of the time talking about her deceased mother and mine. For two people who comes from different worlds we share a lot in common.

“That’s pretty much why I am the way I am today. All thanks to my father.”

That’s another thing I can relate with her.

“I know what you mean.”

“On to something new, are you heading to the race tomorrow?”

“I didn’t think you would be interested in something like that.”

“Normally no but the Youngster is in the race and I’m something of a fan of his.”

She my fan.

“Seems like you’re the only one, it almost seem as if the whole world counting on Blur to win.”

“He is over rated.” She says.

That has to be the most shocking thing I heard anyone say about Blur. I seen him in action and I know first hand that he is anything but overrated.

As I was about to comment on her statement she grabs her phone as it gone off. Who ever it is it must be important because the appearance on her face completely change.

“Sam I have an important business meeting I have to attend but if you like I can pick you up tomorrow and we can watch the race together?”

“As much as I would like to I got to work so I wont be able to.”

“Sorry to hear that.” She then begins to walk away but stops as she is about to exit as if she forgot something.

“By the way Sam do you remember that old hoodie I found of your father’s here?”

“Yea I remember, why?”

“Well I went out to try and find you one so you would have your own and the crazy thing is they don’t even make them anymore. You can’t even find them on ebay.”

“I guess it is one of a kind.” I reply

“Yes… I guess it is.” She says softly as she exits the barn heading towards her vehicle.

It is nice of her to think about getting me a matching hoodie. But if she did that it wouldn’t be unique when I wear it as… Oh my God how could I not have figured it out.

cooltext428410933.png

No More

Scott sits at a small table inside The Tornado, and as someone belts out their drunken rendition of Margaritaville, he suddenly wishes that he did not possess super hearing.

Deb and Marty have left him alone at the table while they rush up to the DJ to hand in the pieces of paper that they wrote down the songs that they plan on singing, and Kelly has excused herself while she looks for a bathroom.

So he sits at the table alone.

He's tried hard over the last month to not feel sorry for himself, but he knows that he has failed miserably in that. In his self imposed exile, he has managed to alienate not only from his friends and family, who he has not spoken to since after Jenny's funeral, but to those who would try to be his friends.

He tells himself that it's for the best, that he can't have a normal life because of who he once was. He can't afford to have friends, or a family...because they are always the ones who pay the price for him being who he was.

His days as Icon may be over, but he knows that there is always a chance that someone somewhere down the line might put the pieces of Icon's life together and figure out just who Scott Morse really is...or was. And that person might just make his friends and family a target...

Just like Jenny.

Scott is so deep in thought that he doesn't even notice Kelly come back to the table, and is startled when she sits down next to him. He looks to her and gives her a slight smile then looks back down at the table top.

"So, who was she?" Kelly asks out of nowhere.

"What?" Scott asks, surprised by the question.

"The one that you lost. Who was she?"

Scott looks at Kelly...really looks, and for the first time sees something in her that he recognizes but just can't place.

"What makes you think I lost anyone?" He asks, evading the question slightly.

"You just have that look." She says, before quickly adding, "I've lost people...and you just have that look."

They sit and talk over the sounds of drunken crooners belting out their favorite songs...badly.

Scott listens as Kelly tells him about her family, who were on vacation in Paris when a gigantic piece of the moon crashed into the city, leaving nothing more than a smoking crater.

And for the first time in a long time, he was able to see past his own pain and see the pain of another.

And Kelly listens as Scott opens up about the loss of Lisa and then the loss of his younger sister Jenny just six months later, and how he feels responsible for both of their deaths, though he can't explain why he feels that way.

By the time Marty and Deb finish their less than stellar rendition of "Timewarp" and join the two of them at the table, just to tell them that it's about time to head on out, Scott and Kelly both feel like they've made a sort of connection with one another, a bond created by if nothing else, mutual pain.

As they sit in the back of Marty's car during the ride home, they ride in silence, though it is no longer an awkward silence.

When Marty pulls up to Scott's apartment, he bids his new friends goodnight, and thanks them for a good time. As he walks into the front entrance of his building, he can't help but to hope that he sees Kelly again soon.

Then

"You...want me...to partner with him?"

"Yes I am, Mr. Cole," the Fatman says.

"Hey, I'm not too thrilled about teaming up with a criminal either," Hawkes says without looking at me.

"Well, good. I don't want to team up with you either," I replay without looking.

"Fine. Last thing I need is a petty thief getting in my way." Not looking.

"Fine. Last thing I need is a brainless Fed cramping my style." Not looking either.

"I'm not brainless." Ha! Got him to look first.

"And I'm not a petty thief."

"But your a thief!"

"But I'm a damn good one. One of the best, in fact."

"...heh. hehehe. HahahahahahaHAHAHAHAHA" I just cross my arms as The Fatman just laughs at me, along with Hawkes. And, of course, since The Director is laughing, Alberts has to laugh as well and keep that nose of his nice and brown.

"Laugh all you want...but I'm not doing it."

The Director stops laughing instantly, and Hawkes follows suit. But Alberts doesn't take the hint. "Enough."

"Yes, sir. Of course, sir." Bobby and I notice each other rolling our eyes, and we instantly start looking at anything else.

The Director gives me a hard look. "You, Mr. Cole, have no choice. You signed a contract. What did you really expect would happen?"

"That you'd use me as a human guinea pig, take this thing out of my head, and turn me loose. Not that you'd make me your slave."

"Well, seeing as we can't remove the gland-"

I look up sharply. "Wait, what? Say that again?"

The Director looks at me with confusion. "We can't remove the gland."

I hop of the counter and step towards the desk, leaning over the back of a chair. "What do you mean you can't remove the gland?"

The Director looks at Hawkes, who looks at Alberts, who looks at me, and then quickly looks away, and then the Director looks back at me. "The Doctor didn't tell you."

"Obviously not. I'd remember something like that. What the hell are you talking about."

The Director sighs. Obviously he hadn't been expecting to have quite the conversation. "Finding a way to safely implant the gland took Dr. Jones years of research and trial and error."

"Right..."

"The same was true for the method of removing the gland. But with Dr. Jones dead, that knowledge is lost."

I wave my hands in disbelief. "Wait, wait, wait. He was a scientist. Didn't he write it all down? Isn't that what scientists do? Write everything down?"

"All those files were lost in the attack."

"********."

The Director nods. "Let me be more specific. All the files detailing how to safely remove the gland were destroyed. Enough data survived to give The Doctor a place to start. But we have no idea how long her research will take."

I can't believe what I'm hearing. "I can't believe what I'm hearing. So, not only am I stuck with this thing in my head, and stuck with all of you, you want me to turn honest and be a Fed?"

"Precisely."

"No way. I'm not doing it."

"Then you go back to being a prisoner and locked away." The Director leans forward, his voice becoming more menacing than usual. "Believe me, Mr. Cole. If I could justify doing so, I'd do just that. But this agency has spent far too many years, and far too many millions of dollars developing this little piece of tissue for nothing to come from it. Millions we don't have to spare. So the most cost-effective thing to do is get you out in the field and put that gland to use."

"So you can get more funding."

The Director leans back and smiles. "Now you're beginning to understand."

I look over at Hawkes, then hang my head. "I don't have a choice, do I."

"No, Mr. Cole. You do not."

Now

"Dammit Cole! Squeeze the trigger. Squeeeeze it."

I bite my cheek and roll my eyes before slamming the gun down on the platform. "What the hell is the matter with you?" Hawkes demands as he picks the gun up. "Always clear your weapon when you finish." He ejects the clip and pops the round out of the chamber. He pushes a button on the firing range, bringing the paper target towards us.

"I told you. I don't like guns."

"This gun will save your life."

"That gun will get me killed."

Bobby pulls the target down and looks at it. "Yeah. You'll probably shoot yourself before you hit anything else."

"Well, thanks for that."

"Glad I was standing behind you, but I'm not too sure that's safe either."

"Ha. Ha."

"Well, you'll never get cleared to carry if you keep shooting like this."

"Thank you."

Hawkes looks sideways at me. "Was that your plan?"

"No, I honestly suck at shooting." I wave my fingers in front of him. "These hands were meant to pick locks and crack safes, not pull triggers."

"Sure, whatever. The Director wants you to see the Doc before going to his office."

"Fun. What is it now?"

"You're going home."

archangelbanner1.jpg

Cathedral of the Holy Cross
Father Damian's Study
Boston, Massachusetts
28 Days Ago

"Ah, I believe this is the book I was looking for Matthew my son. Come come."

After I left the coffee house yesterday, and laid it straight and quick on Grace, I tried to study what text and literature I could find about the Seven Deadly Sins of Man. I tried. I really really tried. But...I couldn't stomach what I did that morning, and ultimately gave up. I couldn't concentrate. Grace did not try to call me, as I knew she wouldn't; I hurt her bad.

But it doesn't change the fact that I have to live with that I did that. Even though it was to protect her, for what is coming. Will she one day understand that? Time will tell. So I spent the remainder of yesterday trying to sleep, and failing to do so. However today is a new day, and I flew into Boston from Lost Haven just minutes ago.

Now I sit before Father Damian, a priest I have long been a friend of since childhood, and a man who has been a sort of mentor for me ever since I became the Archangel. When Bath Kol is unable to give the time to explain and teach me things, Father Damian fills the gap. Not complaining though. I've had a friendship with this man for 13 years. He's like an uncle to me.

"These are old texts gathered from many of Peter Binsfeld's work. He was German Bishop and theologian, my son. In one of this many works, he classified demons; 7 of which he declared would tempt humans with different sins for they all had their favorites. Although there is no need to go over one of the 7, for you are more than familiar with Lucifer. Lucifer represents Pride. To defeat such a Vice, acquire the Virtue of Humility. You might be able to gain the upper hand should you let your enemy believe they have achieved victory. But here, is the demon Amon."

Aamon.jpg

As I gaze up on this creature this...demon, I am caught off guard. Any movie or cartoon that has designed a demon never drew anything like this. This is...much more repulsive.

"Amon is associated with Anger. The virtue that counters Anger, is Patience, Michael. If Bath Kol is indeed correct, and Amon lures someone to you and embraces such Anger, you must be patient. A cool head can strategize and overcome such an obstacle."

"Patience. Cool head. Pwn obstacle. Gotcha. Easy formula. Next?"

Turning the pages, Father Damian finally stops and settle on a page with a creature with much more human features. Nothing at all like Amon, the way the artist tries to draw it makes it look like it is cradling some prize possession.

Mammon.jpg

"Mammon is associated with Greed. I'm sure you are familiar with Matthew 6:19-21,24. 'Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also. No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other; or else he will be devoted to one and despise the other. You can not serve both God and Mammon.' One who embraces the virtue of Charity, shall be nigh immune to this demon's mischievous deeds."

"That's kind of more of a challenge. Bath Kol said if I embrace the Seven Virtues of Man, I will have more of a chance against foes drawn to me by The Seven. How is me giving out my wealth and material goods going to help me in a fight against some greedy and raw powerful dude?"

"I agree. It is unclear to me as well. But with time it should become clear."

"Time's not exactly something I'm sure I will have. Bath Kol is not fully clear about this prophecy to begin with. They could strike at me tonight, tomorrow, now, several weeks from now, or months."

While Father Damian understands, there really is nothing more that can be said or done. I'm going to have to figure it out. He proceeds to the next page. Although...he approaches this page as though he was struck stiff. He doesn't speak right away to tell me which demon it is like he did the first two.

220px-Asmodeus.jpg

I feel like I should wave my hand in front of his face, or snap my fingers. Why is Father Damian so silent and still? What's going on in that big noggin of his? What's so bad about this demon?

Last edited:
cooltext428410933.png

No More

As Scott works on digging the ditch which will contain the wires to the main circuit breaker which will be the sorce of electricity to the new dormitory that they are building, he cann't help but to think that he could do this all so much faster if he just used his powers.

When he was Icon, he once dug a ditch large enough to divert raging flood waters away from Carver in only minutes with his bare hands. But now, as Scott Morse, he toils for hours in mundane labor.

But this is the life he chose. He chose to live a mundane life, giving up his role as Icon, choosing not to use his powers.

It has been a difficult adjustment, but he knows that he made the right decision. After leaving Lost Haven, he began having second thoughts. However, he felt that with The Gaurdians watching over the planet, he didn't have to continue being Icon any longer.

However, it doesn't make his decision any easier. His biggest regret is that he was forced to walk away from his friends and family without so much as a goodbye. They all deserved better, especially Eric and Keira. Eric worked so hard along side him to make The Hub into a viable club, and Keira has been there for him when he needed her, especially after Lisa was killed during the invasion. As hard as it was to leave them all behind, he knows that it was the right decision. He can't risk putting them in harm's way because of who he was.

As he continues to dig, he can hear someone approaching him, he stops what he is doing and turns toward him, seeing Marty walking toward him.

"Hey bro. Have a good time last night?" Marty says with that big goofy grin of his.

"Yeah, I did actually. Thanks for inviting me out."

"You know, I don't know how you did it...but I just got off the phone with Deb, and Kelly won't shut up about you. Seems like you made an impression. In fact, she wants you to meet her for Lunch over at Blue's in town."

"I don't know...I brought lunch with me."

"You know what? You're going. I don't know what you're playing at, but I don't buy it. You're going, and that's that."

"But..."

"No buts, get going. She's meeting you in ten minutes so you'd better hurry."

Scott puts his hands on the end of his shovel and leans forward for a moment, then looks to Marty and gives a slight grin, nods and heads to his car.

cooltext428410933.png

No More

Scott walks into Blue's, not quite sure exactly what it is he's doing. He likes Kelly, he felt a definite connection with her the other night...the first such connection after he left Lost Haven.

He has spent alot of time thinking about their night together and despite his best efforts, she made him feel comfortable. He had a hard time finding an explanation for his feelings, which were strictly platonic in nature, yet at the same time something more, what that was...he hasn't been able to figure out.

Scott looks around the dining room, at first not seeing Kelly, but then he spots her in a small booth at the back of the eatery. He goes over to the booth and sits down across from her, reaching for the menu placed in front of him.

She looks at him and smiles.

"So, why'd you quit, really?" She asks as Scott looks at her in stunned, slack-jawed silence.

In School Hall before thousands

Isaac sweats more than he has in months, the prospect of addressing a large group of children troubling him more than taking on criminals with his limited arsenal. A local school principal is at the mic warming the crowd up, trying to calm down some of the more boisterous children.

"3rd Graders, calm down, you'll all stay back behind after the assembly if you... that's better. Students, we have a treat for you all today. We are lucky enough, to have with us today, one of our Nation's great heroes from the organization known as the Guardians. So I want you all to be on your best behaviour for the Vigilante."

Isaac walked with an unsure stride towards the podium, where he crossed paths with the principal who shook his hands and whispered behind a gritted smile "Good luck, you're gonna need it."

Isaac stepped up to the mic, tapping it briefly as it echoed slightly over the amplifier and spat a half second's worth of feedback, causing him to wince slightly. "Christ Almighty, what do I say here now" he thought to himself...

[BLACKOUT]"Hello..."[/BLACKOUT]

Hello is good, hello's a good start...

[BLACKOUT]"Well, your teachers and principals were good enough to bring you together to hear, from me the Vigilante,"[/BLACKOUT] the words of his own second name sounded weird and forced from his own mouth, [BLACKOUT]"about life. Life and choices. I mean, life is choices. Yeah. Cos your life is going to have a whole lot of choices and how you choose to... The choices you make, I mean to say, are what is going to make up your life."[/BLACKOUT]

Ugh.

[BLACKOUT]"Whether you wind up with a good job, a good life, good things around you, or if you start making some wrong choices you may wind up in the prison system somewhere, getting pounded in the a..."[/BLACKOUT]

No. For the love of God what are you doing... Just no.

[BLACKOUT]"Pounded in your life, having to settle for a worse job which will go nowhere and dying alone and miserable in a crappy one bedroom apartment or something."[/BLACKOUT]

Great save, genius... What in the hell am I doing here? When I see that military jackass I'm going to make him swallow his hat and medals...

[BLACKOUT]"So, when you're making your decisions, its always a good idea to consider the law. Is this legally the right thing to do?"[/BLACKOUT]

A child in the middle of the audience with another microphone piped up. "Is that what you did when you decided to put on your uniform and go kick some bad guys butt?"

[BLACKOUT]"What?!?"[/BLACKOUT] Isaac was caught back, he peered through the crowd trying to see who made the comment. [BLACKOUT]"Well, actually, no... but I'm getting to that."[/BLACKOUT] Great, its a Q and A event... these are the things an inexperienced public speaker should DEFINITELY know in advance. Forget the hat and medals, I'm going to make him eat his whole uniform...

[BLACKOUT]"Whilst it IS important to consider the law, its also important to do what is morally right. Now does everyone here know what morals are?"[/BLACKOUT]

Kindergarteners sitting in the front rows looked on with clueless expressions.

[BLACKOUT]"Well morals are things which we know of as being right or wrong without needing a law to tell us. For example, say you're at home and you eat all of the cookies in the jar at your house, and your mum comes home and finds out and she's pi... she's really angry, right?"[/BLACKOUT] Isaac starts to loosen up a bit. [BLACKOUT]"Well she comes home and asks you and your brothers and sisters 'Now which one of you kids ate all of the cookies?' and you look at her and don't say anything. Well, TECHNICALLY you haven't lied. So you haven't broken the rule there, but at the same time you didn't come forward and do the right thing and say 'It was me.' So that's a moral issue... kind of."[/BLACKOUT]

"Like when that really bad alien guy was killed by one of the Guardians?" A small girl asked closer to the front.

[BLACKOUT]"Yeah, kind of... Sort of. Ish. How normally murder is wrong, how that was an act of war and more socially acceptable since they were trying to kill us all. Is that what you meant?"[/BLACKOUT] The little girl nods.

[BLACKOUT]"Yeah. Alright. So... now we can see how its important to survey all of the angles when looking to do the right thing with your life, yeah?"[/BLACKOUT] Isaac grinned, finally starting to relax a little into the role, before continuing. [BLACKOUT]"Because I know in my own case, when I considered the amount that I would be capable of helping with some of the legal and personal repercussions... well that made my choice pretty easy. There are a lot of bad people out there who live off of the suffering of good, honest people. People who somehow have managed to work the system that regular people have to live within, leaving those good people who operate within that system pretty much powerless to stop these people. I have... a few things working in my favour, knew I would be able to do something and set out to make a difference. But you don't HAVE to do what I did in order to make a difference. The police and other emergency services do great work every day in their own rights, and just by living a good life yourself it makes a difference..."[/BLACKOUT]

"So why did Icon quit?" asked one of the older students, sitting closer to the back of the hall.

[BLACKOUT]"I'm sorry, what..?[/BLACKOUT]

"If you feel you can make a difference as just some guy dressed in black... So why'd Icon quit?"

[BLACKOUT]"Well that's not really for me to say... I'm sure he's got a good reason..."[/BLACKOUT]

"What good reason? Why'd he leave people to suffer and get hurt if he can make a difference? He's real strong, can fly, has all of this stuff going for him, but he just doesn't care anymore..."

[BLACKOUT]"Well I don't think its fair to say he doesn't care..."[/BLACKOUT]

"Why doesn't Icon want to help us anymore?" Asked a smaller child closer to the front. Isaac gave a "Why'd you give her the damn microphone NOW?" glare, to the teacher standing near her.

[BLACKOUT]"Look, I'm not Icon. I can't tell you what he's thinking, fact is I haven't even seen him lately... So why don't we focus on..."[/BLACKOUT]

"Why does Icon hate us? Is he mad at us?"

[BLACKOUT]"WHAT?!? No, he doesn't hate you... heck, he doesn't even know who YOU are. Why would he hate you? Can we just give me some time to answer the first question?"[/BLACKOUT]

The young audience quietens down while Isaac pinches at the point of his balaclava which bridges his nose. "What was that damn question..? Where the hell did that come from?" He thought to himself.

[BLACKOUT]"Anyway, as I was saying, its not altogether necessary for everyone to move into a police role or something like that. Everyone out there who's just doing the right thing is playing their part in making the community as a whole better..."[/BLACKOUT]

"But if you can make a positive difference, you should, right?"

[BLACKOUT]"Yes, but could we not have anymore butting in..."[/BLACKOUT] His stomach was churning like a demon was writhing inside of his gut.

"... so shouldn't Icon still be out there doing his part?"

Isaac rested the mic on the podium for a second and turned away from the mic in frustration, forgetting about the lapel mic.

[BLACKOUT]"oh for F***'s SAKE!"[/BLACKOUT] blasted over the mic, filling the concert hall.

Oh no...

Isaac froze, and slowly cast his gaze over an audience full of stunned faces.

"What's a f***?" asked a young girl in the front row.

"Yep." Isaac thought to himself, knowing full well what the consequences of his actions would be. "Right on f***ing queue..."

cooltext428410933.png

No More

Scott walks into Blue's, not quite sure exactly what it is he's doing. He likes Kelly, he felt a definite connection with her the other night...the first such connection after he left Lost Haven.

He has spent alot of time thinking about their night together and despite his best efforts, she made him feel comfortable. He had a hard time finding an explanation for his feelings, which were strictly platonic in nature, yet at the same time something more, what that was...he hasn't been able to figure out.

Scott looks around the dining room, at first not seeing Kelly, but then he spots her in a small booth at the back of the eatery. He goes over to the booth and sits down across from her, reaching for the menu placed in front of him.

She looks at him and smiles.

"So, why'd you quit, really?" She asks as Scott looks at her in stunned, slack-jawed silence.

"What?" Scott asks, still unsure exactly where this conversation is going.

She couldn't know. She just couldn't. He keeps telling himself.

"Don't you miss it? Flying through the air, beating up the bad guys? Don't you miss being a hero...The hero?"

She knows. How could she know?

"I'm not sure I know what you're talking about." He says with an uncomfortable chuckle.

"I have to admit, you're good. I never would have guessed you were him."

"Kelly, I'm not sure what you're talking about. You obviously have me confused with someone else."

He looks at her, trying to figure out who this young woman sitting in front of him is. Is she military?

STRIKE?

He runs a hundred different possibilities through his head and when he has exhausted every possibility he comes up with...absolutely nothing.

"No, I don't think so. I never forget a face."

She knows, and Scott knows that no matter how much he argues the point, there is nothing that he can do to convince her otherwise.

He knew that there was the possibility that someday somebody would confront him about his past, but he never thought in a million years that it would be this soon.

"What do you say we take this someplace alittle more private. We wouldn't want anyone listening in, would we?"

Scott finally gives in. He lowers his head and takes a deep breath, throwing his arms out in defeat.

"I suppose that's probably a good idea." he says after a long pause.

cooltext412955943-1.jpg

As the rain continues to pour down, Shadow Walker remains motionless atop his perch on the roof of the Lost Haven YMCA, which is directly across the street from the small warehouse that The Cartel has been using to store some of their more high powered weapons.

Weapons that his father had developed.

Weapons that his father died for.

It has taken him months to get this close again, to track down leads and get solid information on the the whereabouts of Midas' operations. He had been close before, but the trail went cold in the wake of the alien invasion, and then again when the vigilante know as The Dummy threatened to cause the streets of the city to errupt into chaos.

It has been a long road frought with obstacles and roadblocks. It seemed that for a long time, The Cartel was always one step ahead of him. He would pick up a lead, but by the time he got to a location they had already cleared out.

But not tonight, this warehouse is bustling with activity, and he has already made visual contact with one of Midas' more lethal enforcers, the man known as The Franchise.

Tonight his own personal war against the crime syndicate known as The Cartel comes one step closer to its climax.

It is time to go to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"