The Curious Case of Spider-Man & Hulk Rights (Or Keep Hope Alive That the Rights Will Revert)

If Oscorp really pops up in Far from Home in the former place of the Avengers tower and the MCU cast Osborn, that would be interesting and have to mean something.

That's what I've been thinking, though it is at least possible that Marvel could feature Osborn in their third and final Spider-Man and that would be the end of it.

Though if I were Sony, I don't think I'd want them using him since I'd want to save him for the Sony films.

I would much, much, much prefer to see Doc Ock and the Sinister Six in a 3rd Spider-Man MCU solo than Norman Osborn. Like, sooooooooooooooooooo much more.

Throw Norman in Thunderbolts and such.

They may very well throw Norman in with the Thunderbolts. But you can't introduce him anywhere other than Spider-man. It's Norman Osborn. This is the Batman/Joker relationship of Marvel comics.

The Goblin saga is very played out on film, though. I don't want to see yet another Goblin saga in the 3rd Spider-Man solo. I would rather see that much later down the road.

Had to go dark for a while because of Endgame, but I'm back now. While we're still on the subject, do you guys think that the critical reception of Men In Black: International (don't know what other franchises Sony has), and likely ensuing financial reception, jeopardizes Spider-Man's place in the MCU?

Had to go dark for a while because of Endgame, but I'm back now. While we're still on the subject, do you guys think that the critical reception of Men In Black: International (don't know what other franchises Sony has), and likely ensuing financial reception, jeopardizes Spider-Man's place in the MCU?
Sony makes the money off the MCU Spidey films so I'm not sure why you are coming to the conclusion that what happens with MIB would put the Marvel/Sony partnership in jeopardy.

Sony makes the money off the MCU Spidey films so I'm not sure why you are coming to the conclusion that what happens with MIB would put the Marvel/Sony partnership in jeopardy.

Hmm... yeah, I guess I'm not sure where I was going with that point entirely. Suppose it doesn't really make sense. But we are talking about Sony, so not making sense is appropriate....

Am I right in thinking that Universal's claim on a share of the Hulk rights only applies to the big screen?

In which case a Hulk/She-Hulk Disney+ series wouldn't be affected by it in the same way Hulk appearing as a supporting character in other heroes' movies isn't?

Presumably. Though, I see that being more of a benefit for She Hulk than her cousin, given the budget it would require.

The official Spider-Man FB page is doing a Q&A with the cast and producers including Pascal and Feige. Hopefully lots of people ask about the Spider-Man deal.

I'd more imagine folks just asking about Far From Home- and possibly Endgame- than anything else.

EDIT: Yeah, looking at the Facebook post now, just questions about the movies or what the actors involved like about being in the Spider-Man films. I don't see the average Facebook user or fan compared to the average Superherohype user asking a question about rights and logistics over Spider-Man.

Fair enough. I asked if they plan to introduce Osborn, Harry and Gwen.

Venom and Spider-Man Crossover Movie ‘Seems Likely,’ Teases MCU Boss Kevin Feige

I think probably it's up to Sony. Sony has both those characters and, has Venom in their world. I don't know what their plans are for another Venom or if they’re doing that. But it seems likely at some point.

A Venom in their world? Feige seems to imply that Sony could in theory have their cake and eat it too and by simply having that Spidey/Venom crossover by introducing a different version of Spider-Man that’s unconnected to the MCU version into their own universe - thus preventing Tom Hardy’s Brock from ever crossing over to the MCU. Leaving the MCU version of Spidey untainted by any of Sony’s non-MCU plans.

Venom and Spider-Man Crossover Movie ‘Seems Likely,’ Teases MCU Boss Kevin Feige

A Venom in their world? Feige seems to imply that Sony could in theory have their cake and eat it too and by simply having that Spidey/Venom crossover by introducing a different version of Spider-Man that’s unconnected to the MCU version into their own universe - thus preventing Tom Hardy’s Brock from ever crossing over to the MCU. Leaving the MCU version of Spidey untainted by any of Sony’s non-MCU plans.

I really think Mysterio is the first step in Marvel and Sony agreeing that the Sony and Marvel Earths are two alternate worlds within the same Universe. That opens up possibilities that could be beneficial to both parties. (and there's plenty of precedent for alternate worlds in the comics).

In theory, Sony could do whatever the heck they want and Marvel could do whatever the heck they want. Sony would get a cut of the Marvel films and vice versa. Then, for fun, they could have alternate characters cross-over periodically.

If done right, it could be a win/win/win for Sony, Marvel and us.

Ever since Sony started talking about and eventually did the Venom film, it's rubbed me the wrong way. Spider-man and related characters should be in the MCU.

But if they actually made it an alternate Earth - and Marvel continued their use of Spidey and added other related characters, I think I could get into it in a way I haven't been able to when they were in conflict with one another.

Thats a really interesting change of tune hes had their. During development on Venom he made it pretty clear their was no way a crossover was happening. Hopefully this is a good sign. Maybe Feige will assist Sony on Venom 2.

Thats a really interesting change of tune hes had their. During development on Venom he made it pretty clear their was no way a crossover was happening. Hopefully this is a good sign. Maybe Feige will assist Sony on Venom 2.

I’m thinking in the initial stages Marvel may have been working hard to get the rights back and hoping/expecting Venom to fail and put pressure on Sony to give up. But when Venom did well and Sony seemed determined to continue making films, Feige and Marvel may have adopted an “if you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em” philosophy.

That’s sort if where I’m at.

I don't know... I think that's reading a bit much into a statement that doesn't really say much either way beyond that Sony still has film rights to both Spidey and Venom and that there is a good chance of Marvel using Venom in a future MCU film with Spidey. Would that be Hardy's Venom? Maybe. Maybe not. Could be Marvel gets Venom to use in a Holland Spidey film but it is neither Hardy's Brock or connected in any way to it.

Feige often gets quoted here but most of these public statements about things that may or may not be in the works for the MCU are usually the most boilerplate and vague things imaginable... As they would be coming from a seasoned Hollywood pro like Feige. He knows how to play the game of PR. He's not going to make huge news or big definitive statements during a side interview with the smaller outlets or online operations. He knows what he's doing by throwing out these crumbs that don't really say much of anything. That they are open to using one of Spidey's most iconic, recognized and popular foes in an MCU Spidey film is not surprising, is it? Outside of that what he's quoted as saying is pretty nebulous.

He basically says if Sony wants Spider-Man in a Venom movie or some type of crossover, they can do it. But whether that means new Spider-Man, Holland Spider-Man, Venom in a MCU movie, etc. remains as unclear after that statement as it was prior to that statement.

All I take away from his comments is that he’s making it clear that if Sony wants to do that Spider-Man and Venom crossover film then it would have to be in Sony’s universe separate from the MCU with a different Spider-Man native to that world. This indicates Feige has no intention of allowing the Tom Holland MCU Spider-Man to crossover with Sony’s Tom Hardy Venom. That’s my only big takeaway from his comments.

So I didn’t view his comments as him being open to using Venom at all. Only him acknowledging that hypothetical Venom/Spider-Man crossover as something that could happen before clarifying that it wouldn’t have anything to do with his version of Spider-Man.

See, I don't even think his comment makes it clear that it can't be Holland Spider-Man in this hypothetical crossover movie. He mentions that Sony has Venom "in their world" but at no point does he say it would be a new Spider-Man actor if they do it.

Part of his ambiguity may be due to him and Sony not yet knowing themselves how things will play out. It may be a work-in-progress.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"