Sequels The Cyclops Problem

CB Fan

The Watcher
Reaction score
Cyclops is known to be the field leader of the x-men yet he hasn't done much leading. X1 holds the best characterization of Cyclops out of the four films he's been in and yet to many he came off stiff, boring, and a cock block to Wolverine from Jean. Anyone who has read X-Men comics past or present knows that there is untapped potential when it comes to his film characterization. In recent comics Cyke has become a true badass but at the expense of his mentor Charles Xavier, and I'm not sure Singer and Co. want to take Xavier to the place he has been taken recently in the comics. So with that said how does Singer fix the Cyclops problem? How does he take a "boring" and "stiff" character and make him someone the GA can care about and root for.

They'd need to badass him up abit like they did for cap.

They had prime opportunity with his anger and grieving state in X3 but sadly it wasn't explored.

Speaking of X3 since he died off-screen I think they could've easily had him back for DOFP with it being explained that Jean teleported him to another continent

Include him in Apocalypse as one of Xavier's new recruits, I'm open to the idea of keeping the Cyclops of Origins: Wolverine in the continuity of the movie-verse. Like they could start Apocalypse and Cyclops is already in the X-mansion and just introduce him, as one of the new students. Then after Apocalypse, resurrect him in the present if there's another film with the OT cast in 2018.

Anyway, it'd be cool to see his younger version (again) and then in the next modern-day X-Men team film, he's resurrected from the dead.

Cyclops should be in Apocalypse. A young Cyke fresh out of high school forced to become a great leader when Wolverine and Beast aren't cutting it for whatever reason is a compelling story. IMO, he's the leader, he should be the POV character and somebody able to keep Wolverine in line. And for the record, after Apocalypse, Sinister is the obvious villain. Cyclops is his arch enemy in the comics not just because of their history together but because Cyclops is the only guy who can plot and scheme nearly as well and always has a backup plan if Sinister gets involved.

For instance, if the X-Men have just defended the X-Mansion from Sentinels, Cyclops is ready for a Marauder attack. He and Sinister are stuck in the endless duel of wits and both trying to outsmart one another. That rivalry needs to be played up for all its worth.

Also, given what people reacted to with Juggernaut last time, what if one of his lines in a Deadpool spin-off is, "I'm not Justin Bieber *****, I'm the JUGGERNAUT!"
Because it's still a call back to My Way Entertainment and X3 but also to Gunther.

Last edited:
Cyclops in XMA is one of the big reasons why I still watch the X-Men films the sooner he is back the better but this time I hope we see the true Cyclops and not the guy who gets capture or knocked out anyone agree?

Growing up Cyclops was always my favorite X Men character and the way he was depicted in film was criminal. Supes and Cap have always been considered stiff and boring and look at how well they're being portrayed. Can't wait for the day he'll be written well.

Definitely eager to see him in XM:A (it's pretty much a given now right?), but I won't be fully satisfied until Marsden is given a proper returning role in a present day setting.

While Marsden is ok I felt he was missing that commanding presence you need to be Cyke. Even Jackman would have been a better Scott in my opinion.

I don't think he's been given the chance to properly prove that so far. I thought he kicked ass in that one action moment he had in X2, so I'd like to see a film where he gets to be like that for a longer duration.

My big fear with Cyclops from now on is that in the prequel setting he'll be portrayed as a kid with leadership qualities, still without seeing him as the proper hardened leader we all want.

I don't think he's been given the chance to properly prove that so far. I thought he kicked ass in that one action moment he had in X2, so I'd like to see a film where he gets to be like that for a longer duration.

:up::up:

It's really ironic that Cyclops in Origins is more badass than what he is in X2 and X3 combined. :whatever:

Eh I thought his small role in X3 was pretty cool. Scruffy, angsty Cyclops ftw

Cyclops in X2 was badass, he just wasn't in it enough...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"