Comics Question about Cyclops

nightbringer

Sidekick
Reaction score
Cyclops has always been my favorite character, so naturally I'm always interested in any info or trivia concerning him. I was reading on another website that he has a second brother besides Havok. I haven't read the X-Men comics much in the last several years, but from time to time I might pick one up and try to get an idea of what's going on.

Anyways, on the other site it mentions he has a second brother, I remember there being talk of a possible 2nd brother, but never heard anything confirming it, so I am just wondering if he does have a 2nd brother and who it is? Also which series revealed this and around what issue #?

His second brother's name is Vulcan, real name Gabriel Summers, and he was only revealed recently in the Deadly Genesis limited series.

So what's the deal with the Vulcan guy? Is he good, bad, what are his powers? Is he actually the 3rd Summers brother or is it another one of those alternate reality characters?

Oh, boy, where to begin. Oh, wait, here's a bio for him I'm putting together for a site:

Vulcan

Affiliation: None
Previous Affiliations: Moira MacTaggert’s Students, X-Men
Relatives: Summers Family
Alternate-X Versions: None
Codename Etymology: Pronounced v lkn [from Latin word Vulcnus]; Roman god of fire and metal working.
Powers and History: Vulcan possess vast energy manipulation powers that allow him to use forms of heat, light, force, and electrical energy, warp existing energies, tap into and dampen mutant energies, and flight.(Now that Darwin was pulled from Vulcan’s body, he may or may not be able to still use the abilities of his former teammates.)

Unbeknownst to her other sons, Katherine Summers was two months pregnant she and her husband, Christopher, were kidnapped by the Shi’ar. She was forced into slavery of then emperor D’Ken while Chris was put in prison, but fought long and hard to escape and kill D’Ken, but failed, and Katherine was slain, along with her unborn child, Gabriel. However, Gabe was not killed, like Chris thought, and he was put in a incubation chamber, where he was grown to a teenager in a matter of weeks. He was then put into slavery of one of D’Ken’s men on earth, where he befriended one of the Shi’ar slave women, who gave him a book on Roman Mythology, where he favored the name Vulcan. But one day, his mutant powers manifested themselves, and he accidentally incinerated his only friend, and then used his powers to escape.

He later turned up in New York City, where he was taken in by the police, and then turned over to Moira MacTaggert, who brought him to her stateside labs, which she was also using as a school for some mutants who had nowhere else to turn. He quickly became friends with the other students at the school, Petra, Sway, and Darwin, and was even favored by Moira’s compatriot, Charles Xavier. Gabe was fascinated by the X-Men, so he felt it was an honor to work with the man. Xavier had several sessions with the boy, mainly to help him recover his lost memories, but was unable to really help in that area, but did help with his training, even bringing in Cyclops to train with him, and brought Gabe along on a recruitment mission to try and bring a young Emma Frost back to the school. Then, one day, he came with a darker request. He had lost contact with his X-Men after they were sent to Krakoa and he needed help to save them. The kids agreed to help, and Xavier put them through mental training that would make them think and feel like they had been training with him for months. He then gave them their own uniforms and sent them to Krakoa.

Once there, they lost contact with the professor, but were able to free Cyclops from the island’s captivity, but severely hurting Krakoa in the process. This infuriated the living island, and after they got Scott on their jet, they went back for the others, but it sent a volcano creature after them. Sway was killed immediately, but her powers remained to slow down time for her friends, allowing Petra to open the ground to save them, although she perished too. Darwin and Vulcan were also on the brink of death, when Gabe’s last friend converted himself to energy and merged with Gabe, allowing him to survive in an almost comatose state throughout the years after Krakoa was launched into space.

After M-day on earth, a wave of mutant energy flew from the earth, washing over the rock in which Vulcan was buried, essentially resurrecting him. He found a nearby space shuttle, the pilots of which were killed from the wave, and saw the date and became furious when he realized how much time had passed. He used his powers to navigate the ship back to earth, and landed it safely by using Petra’s power to form a hand from the earth to catch the shuttle. Wolverine, Cyclops, and Marvel Girl came to the crash site to investigate, but were attacked by Vulcan, with Logan left for dead and the other two kidnapped. The other X-Men tried searching for them, but Vulcan also attacked some of them from afar, using Sway’s phantom projections in combination with Rachel’s powers to make them see demons from their pasts. He even killed longtime X-Man Banshee when he found out too much about the mutant and his past.

Scott and Rachel soon attempted to make an escape, and learned some of Vulcan’s secrets, with Gabe himself revealing his relation to Scott. Rachel escaped when a ONE Sentinel tracked and fought Vulcan, but the pilot was killed and Gabe took Scott to go and find Xavier. They arrived on Muir Island, where they met up with Xavier, who could miraculously walk again. The reunion was short as the rest of the X-Men arrived, and Vulcan attacked and took Xavier hostage, wanting him to show them what he did to Gabe and his friends, but he couldn’t because Xavier was no longer a mutant. So, Gabe forced Rachel to link up with Xavier and himself to show all the others what happened. While doing so, she sensed something strange inside Gabe, and while he was distracted by her revealing how his friends tried to save him in their last moments of life, she awoke another consciousness that was sharing the same body as Vulcan, who turned out to be Darwin. As Darwin’s energy left Vulcan, he was weakened and the X-Men attacked. He was still strong enough to fend them off, and, disgusted with how his former heroes and brothers were treating him, took off to the stars with revenge on his mind for the man who had killed his mother; D’Ken.

I think Vulcan is too powerful to be part of the Summers clan. Long Live Adam the Xtreme!

Unless Adam was created through genetic experimentation with Summers DNA, he's not a brother.

all of the summers brothers have the potential to be that powerful. it would be their "ultimate mutation" so to speak, with each having control of a different kind of energy...cyclops uses concussion beams (non-heated blast...basically a helluva punch), havok uses plasma, and gabriel utilizes a more electrical/heat based ennergy. havok and cyclops both have the potential to control their respective types of energy in the same way gabriel does, but we'll see what happens, maybe gabriel will actually be depowered to a similar level as the other two instead of the other two being powered up.

oh yea, the only reason gabe's powers had an affect on the other two was the fact that he was amped by darwin's energy. that should change now.

Havent read the arc,but was it really necessary for Gabe to be aged in an incubation chamber?Thats lame.

Cyclops occasionaly enjoys making out with his lover on the grave of his dead godness wife.
nx1.jpg

I adore him. His brothers however are whiney little *****es :(

Abaddon said:
Havent read the arc,but was it really necessary for Gabe to be aged in an incubation chamber?Thats lame.
I didn't liked that too. When he first met Cyclops, he was clearly younger than Scott... If he was aged by the Shi'ar from a baby to serve as an slave, so I'm thinking they should have aged him at least 15 years, and if Scott wasn't over 15 when the Summers were abducted, Vulcan should have been older...

I'm not too sure on why he's evil. I mean I could see that he would probably feel hurt and betrayed finding out Xavier took advantage of him sending him off to Krakoa, but did he ever say that was his motivation? Plus, I guess growing up as a slave would have been traumatic too.

GyLocke said:
Cyclops occasionaly enjoys making out with his lover on the grave of his dead godness wife.
nx1.jpg

I adore him. His brothers however are whiney little *****es :(

pah.. they all new she wasnt dead and would inevitably return.
its more like making out sumwhere that your wifes disembodied corporal form is hanging out... which is a completly different thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"