• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

The Daily Show Thread

Plus he's a comedian not a reporter.

I got a bit annoyed with Jon Stewart when he kept claiming to be "just a comedian". Whether he liked it or not, he became a journalist, when his fake news show became more credible than most alleged news outlets.

I got a bit annoyed with Jon Stewart when he kept claiming to be "just a comedian". Whether he liked it or not, he became a journalist, when his fake news show became more credible than most alleged news outlets.

You best watch it. Some people around these parts don't like that opinion...ya hear? *tips hat*

That's more telling of the state of the news then of a comedy show.

You best watch it. Some people around these parts don't like that opinion...ya hear? *tips hat*

*sigh*

Here's an article that is the closest to conveying how I understand Jon:

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/a...about-jon-stewart-is-also-why-he-ll-be-missed

We'll start with this first part that seems to affirm your thoughts:

This is common practice for those in comedy, to use real world events as fodder for their routines until push comes to shove. That’s your job, they’d say to the journalist/political commentator/politician who just told him he was wrong, or that if he was really so upset about whatever the issue was, maybe he should get off the sidelines and try to do something. I’m just trying to get some laughs. His famous line was, “C’mon, we’re just the show on after Crank Yankers.” This always struck me as disingenuous, an abdication of the responsibility of someone who certainly seemed to believe what he was saying on television; Stewart wanted the cachet of politics, the source material, but not the exchange of ideas. I thought it led to a sometimes surface-thin view of matters. I thought it limited him.

But when someone of the stature of Stewart retires, when you suddenly have to reckon with a world without him, it makes you reevaluate matters a bit. Even if you were more a fan of Stephen Colbert’s absurdity than Stewart’s occasional look-at-these-idiots grandstanding—a stylistic, subjective preference rather than one that makes much of a judgment on effectiveness—the influence of Stewart is really quite staggering. Stewart turned a show that was once a tired retread of SNL’s “Weekend Update” into a manifesto of impotent rage, the one sane man screaming at a world gone mad. He took comedy and turned it into his version of truth. Every comedian claims to want to do that; Stewart had the talent and the cojones to do it.

Then lets end it with what the matter IS:

Because that’s what this was all along. The reason Stewart would pull the “I’m just a comedian!” card wasn’t because he was looking for a cowardly way out of the conversation. It was a true representation of his worldview. Comedy and truth weren’t separate pursuits: They walked hand-in-hand the whole time. Stewart ended up becoming a public advocate and polarizing figure because the only way he knew to be funny was to expose what he considered lies, to shout the truth from the mountaintop at loud as he could. That’s what comedians are supposed to do. That Stewart became so powerful at it, and became such a compelling, vital public figure, isn’t a sign of him getting too big for his comedian britches: It’s a sign that ultimately comedy could only take him so far. (It’s another reason for Rosewater: Stewart was clearly tiring of laughing.) The source of Stewart’s comedy was his unending search for truth, the need to just shake people into getting it. After a while, though, people stop listening to what you say and just pay attention to who’s saying it. In his stepping away, Stewart seems to have recognized that.

The irony of course is that Stewart was so important to listen to because he was a comedian. It allowed him access to truths the rest of us didn’t have. So now that he’s leaving, I’m pretty sure he was right all along. He was just a comedian, using jokes—the truth—to point us to what he found truly important. It was the only way it could have been done. It was just a show on basic cable after Crank Yankers. Thank God for that.

I also notice that there seems to two sides to the people who get infuriated with Jon's "I'm just a comedian" routine:

1. Those who don't like his viewpoints looking to excoriate him on a more serious level
  2. Those who like him TOO much, and wish he'd stop being "just a comedian"

What's ironic about the two sides above is that the same people who would be on number one's side, tend to NEVER hold those who speak towards that particular viewpoint as accountable as they want to hold Jon the Comedian. Look at how Bill O'Reilly's Tall Tales were approached, compared to Brian Williams'—and that's just one out of hundreds of possible examples.

On the other hand, those on the number two side don't realize that Jon WON'T be Jon anymore if he moved outside of "being a comedian." Now, I can't speak to whether or not he'd be less effective on a more serious level, but I take him for what he is, and I'd rather he be himself, because he's pretty damned effective there.

Here's a random quote I found on the Internet that also conveys what I am trying to say better:

It seems to me that if we confer upon Mr. Stewart more gravitas than he, himself, claims, that is more a reflection of our needs than of his intent or true place in our culture. He appears to believe that his job is to make fun of the news; that, in doing so, he sometimes cuts pretty close to the bone, is a reflection more of his comedic skill than of any serious ambition as a political commentator. After all, what is great comedy other than a particular route to truth? Perhaps if the actual news outlets in this country took their jobs more seriously, we could allow Mr. Stewart to be what he really is - a great comedian.

Last edited:
Yeah, I didn't read any of that. I just like it when you guys get annoyed.

That's more telling of the state of the news then of a comedy show.

No doubt. Personally I think there should be requirements for an organization to call itself a news channel. Like, having some sort of fact checking. I mean, there are opinions, and then there are blatant lies.

We regulate whether or not you can say **** or ****, but we don't regulate whether or not the news has any accuracy to it?

60 Minutes is the only popular news show that feels like real journalism.

Most of the CNN/Fox/MSNBC pundit stuff is no better than the Daily Show.

Charlie Brooker's Newswipe show is great. Brooker is cynical and pessimistic but he cuts the BS better than any other satirist on TV today.

John Oliver's show is satirical but also like a public service announcement. Oliver tries to really inform people and motivate them to make changes.

I've only ever seen Trevor Noah do his stand up routine and guest appearances on panel shows here in the UK. Most of his comedy is about his background and observational stuff. I do recall ever seeing him do much political or social commentary type jokes.

Pretty eclectic group that first week.

So what does everybody think so far?I think he's doing pretty well 2 episodes in.

I didn't watch the second episode, but I thought he was pretty weak in the first. Not sure if he needs more time or if he's just not a good fit? We'll just have to wait and see.

I like him overall (his accent is cool as well). I mean it's going to take some time to get used to, Stewart was there for so long as is so iconic in that role that you cannot just immediately replace him in people's minds. But Trevor is off to a good start for me.

I didn't see last night's episode but he did pretty good on his first show.

I didn't watch the second episode, but I thought he was pretty weak in the first. Not sure if he needs more time or if he's just not a good fit? We'll just have to wait and see.

I think it is just that he and the writers need to get a bit closer. Some of the stuff still feels a bit too much Jon Stewart. Which is fine, Trevor needs to find his groove, and the audience needs to get used to him.

I thought the first episode was decent but nothing too interesting. I did cringe a bit when he had to explain two of his jokes to the audience. The second episode was much better, but I still feel like Trevor hasn't found his legs yet. It still feels like the same show but with a Jon Stewart substitute (which is what you want to an extent, but you also want it to form its own mold).

Basically he needs to act like he does in his standup, and not like Stewart. Nobody can do that.

I liked when Trevor Noah was on BBC show 'Would I Lie To You?' and did a skit with Rob Brydon.

Noah used to prank call people as Nelson Mandela and Brydon pretended to be a Afrikaner called Tobias Cruelty

Basically he needs to act like he does in his standup, and not like Stewart. Nobody can do that.

This is exactly it. The Trevor from his standups would really shine on the show IMO.

Last edited:
So far I have found him... okay. I still think he's a very odd choice, but he's a decent host. I assume he will get better over time, but I just don't think you can replace Jon Stewart. He made the Daily Show what it is.

Stewart wasn't just funny, he was incredibly politically savvy. I don't know if Noah has that. Maybe he does. We'll see.

I still think Comedy Central should have signed John Oliver when they had the chance.

I think it is just that he and the writers need to get a bit closer. Some of the stuff still feels a bit too much Jon Stewart. Which is fine, Trevor needs to find his groove, and the audience needs to get used to him.

In a bit of agreement. I have liked these last two episodes and this third one is also good. But... a lot of material does feel as if it's in Jon's voice. I suppose a lot of the writers are the same right now.

I like Trevor so far. I agree that a lot of the material and mannerisms feel like Jon Stewart.

I also really like the two new correspondents, they are funny.

One thing Trevor needs to work on is his interviewing because he seems a little nervous and soft. Tonight with Christie he didn't cover much and seemed to hold himself back from asking tough questions.

The racist/not racist segment with the correspondents tonight was great.

I'm really liking Noah as the host, it's a good balance of his standup sense of humor and the daily show writers. I'm sure it will become more organic in time. I didn't watch daily show when Stewart started but I'm sure there was an adjustment period there as well. And the audience also needs to adjust to him/his version of th daily show as well.

So considering its 3 days into it, it's a dman good start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"