• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

The Daily Show Thread

Last night's show was a major improvement over the previous two. Trevor is gradually getting better.

Stewart wasn't just funny, he was incredibly politically savvy. I don't know if Noah has that. Maybe he does. We'll see.

Which goes back to what everyone said regarding Trevor playing on his strengths and not simply trying to be a Jon Stewart substitute. Compared with Jon, he's already lived in several countries by now and speaks over 6 languages. He can bring a perspective Jon couldn't.

Last edited:
Since they've returned, it is clear that they were slowly building up to Trevor putting his own stamp on the show. Since the new year, the show feels like it is fully Noah's show now.

Since they've returned, it is clear that they were slowly building up to Trevor putting his own stamp on the show. Since the new year, the show feels like it is fully Noah's show now.

Yeah, but I still don't think he is all that funny. And his ratings are pretty bad. I wonder when CC is going to bite the bullet and admit their mistake? Elliot wasn't ready for the big show and his ratings are indicative of that.

I'm not surprised the Nightly Show got cancelled. It wasn't all that funny and it's political coverage didn't work for me. Trevor Noah still needs to figure out his groove. What made Stewart work for me was that it felt like news with a comedic slant. Noah's show feels like comedy with a news slant.

I doubt CC will wait much longer. Its been nearly a year and he hasn't found an audience despite the most comedic election in United States history. The Daily Show should be killing it in ratings and it is bombing under Trevor Noah's watch. The Daily Show (along side South Park) is Comedy Central's flagship show. They aren't going to let it be run into the ground.

Noah was just the wrong choice. Like you said, he comes off as a comedian with a political slant. But when he tries to get full-on political it feels like he is a pundit just lecturing the audience rather than delivering news in a comedic way. Stewart was preachy but he could interweave the preaching into the comedy routine/news report. Noah just cannot do that. Any time he preaches it feels like he is breaking character/the format of the show.

I'm not sure if this will make me come off as a bit of an ass, but it feels a bit strange to have someone non-American commenting so heavily on the election and American Politics. The just lacks the authority and sincerity that John Stewart had.

I'm not sure if this will make me come off as a bit of an ass, but it feels a bit strange to have someone non-American commenting so heavily on the election and American Politics. The just lacks the authority and sincerity that John Stewart had.

It's funny, I'm pretty much agreed with you when it comes to Trevor Noah, but I have no problem with John Oliver commentating about American politics on Last Week Tonight. I suppose he's just better suited for this type of material.

It's funny, I'm pretty much agreed with you when it comes to Trevor Noah, but I have no problem with John Oliver commentating about American politics on Last Week Tonight. I suppose he's just better suited for this type of material.

I agree. I'm not sure why exactly there's a difference, but Oliver works. Perhaps it's the writing?

Oliver has kinda been here longer I think. He went through the process, and frankly I'm like if you go through all the **** to become American you get to *****.

Yep. Oliver paid his dues. Noah didn't. He just kinda came out of no where and was announced as host of The Daily Show.

You dont have to be an american to understand or analyze or **** on american politics. Its the same with american history. You dont need to be american to be a good hostorian of american history. Anyone can learn about, study, or critique america and its politics and its history.

You dont have to be an american to understand or analyze or **** on american politics. Its the same with american history. You dont need to be american to be a good hostorian of american history. Anyone can learn about, study, or critique america and its politics and its history.

Yes, but that doesn't change the fact that there is something inherently patronizing about a foreigner telling 50 % of Americans that they are idiots for the way they vote or how they should feel on certain issues. Just as it was patronizing when Donald Trump told the UK how they should vote regarding Brexit.

Yes, but that doesn't change the fact that there is something inherently patronizing about a foreigner telling 50 % of Americans that they are idiots for the way they vote or how they should feel on certain issues. Just as it was patronizing when Donald Trump told the UK how they should vote regarding Brexit.

This. It also comes down quite a bit to the personality of the person doing the comedic commentating. Trevor Noah just lacks the authoritative voice that Jon Stewart had. Oliver has it. Colbert has it. And even though I wasn't super fond of Larry Wilmore's show I felt that he had that kind of presence and voice. Honestly they should have turned The Daily Show over to Larry Wilmore. Stewarts writers and format with Wilmore would probably be doing a bit better than Noah, who came out of nowhere.

This. It also comes down quite a bit to the personality of the person doing the comedic commentating. Trevor Noah just lacks the authoritative voice that Jon Stewart had. Oliver has it. Colbert has it. And even though I wasn't super fond of Larry Wilmore's show I felt that he had that kind of presence and voice. Honestly they should have turned The Daily Show over to Larry Wilmore. Stewarts writers and format with Wilmore would probably be doing a bit better than Noah, who came out of nowhere.

Personally, I think the biggest mistake Comedy Central made was not locking down John Oliver or Samantha Bee. Both have been filling the void Stewart left on other networks. Nothing either Wilmore or Noah did has been anything close to those two. CC really should've done whatever it takes to get one of the two.

I think it is just a bit of the weakness of the format. I don't think Oliver or Bee would be as doing as well as they are if they were constrained by the Daily Show's format. And even when Wilmore's show was morphing into a bit more like the Daily Show, it was still constrained by that the standard late night format, of having to have a guest to promote something.

I also think Noah is sadly hampered by CC. I mean, he is slowly adapting the show to him. And there has been some great stuff. I still absolutely love him playing pool with Lindsey Graham. And the new correspondents have been pretty good. Even with Bee and Oliver, I think the show would be having the problems it is having.

The Nightly Show to me always felt like a niche show. It was aimed primary at a black audience, had mostly black guests, and almost every episode I saw dealt with race. Which, granted, was and has been an ongoing issue and, I only saw maybe two dozen episodes, but still, that was the impression I took away.

Trevor Noah I feel has much broader appeal. He's no Jon Stewart, but I do like him. No one was going to have the same ratings as Jon Stewart out of the gate. The only one who would come close is John Oliver, but he got to host the show before Stewart's run ended.

Last edited:

I feel that Noah does a decent job as not coming across as mean spirited. He's not Piers Morgan, thumbing his nose at the 2nd Amendment, which was ironically enshrined into law due to the actions of Britain.

But John Oliver....

Personally, I think the biggest mistake Comedy Central made was not locking down John Oliver or Samantha Bee. Both have been filling the void Stewart left on other networks. Nothing either Wilmore or Noah did has been anything close to those two. CC really should've done whatever it takes to get one of the two.
True. Their riffs on the Daily Show formula have been much better then anything the two CC shows have done since the Stewart and Colbert left.

I saw plenty of Trevor Noah doing British shows over the years before he took over the Daily Show. Noah's comedy was never particularly political or satirical over here. I heard he did a daily show type show in South Africa before that but i never saw it.

I think what worked for Jon Stewart is that he genuinely cares which gave him a sense of authority. His passion and beliefs shined in all of his satire of politics and social issues.

Brit John Oliver and Canadian Samantha Bee have been in the U.S for over a decade. Both started as correspondents before earning their own shows.

True. Their riffs on the Daily Show formula have been much better then anything the two CC shows have done since the Stewart and Colbert left.

And neither would be as successful if they were forced to stick to the Daily Show formula. Once a week and not having to do random celeb interview have been blessing for those shows.

And neither would be as successful if they were forced to stick to the Daily Show formula. Once a week and not having to do random celeb interview have been blessing for those shows.

That may be, but John Oliver is leaps and bounds ahead of Trevor as an interviewer. Trevor seems a bit awkward in his interviews.

This is coming from someone who genuinely wants Trevor to succeed and enjoyed him as a standup comic. I was even pretty positive about his hosting, as I felt that Trevor would have insights and perspectives that many people wouldn't have.

I just find Trevor awkward and seemingly trying too hard sometimes. He doesn't carry the same impact Jon did when delivering a scathing rebuke or a funny analysis.

CC needs to dig into their piggy banks and find a way to hire the person they should have hired in the first place: Tina Fey.

I doubt Tina Fey would take the job. It's very demanding, both on a personal life, and professional life.

I think it's pretty accurate to say by now that they totally screwed up by letting Samantha Bee leave.

But John Oliver....

The reason why Oliver works better is because he's from a familiar nationality that Americans can "accept" conceptually. Oliver is every American's stereotypical mental image of an Englishman; heavy accent, giant glasses, skinny, weak chin, big nose and prone to flying off into finger-wagging rants a la John Cleese. Oliver himself is part of the joke, and he knows it; Americans who agree with his viewpoints appreciate him on that level, whereas Americans who disagree with him or don't like foreigners commenting on their politics can at least enjoy his schtick as the perpetually outraged Brit.

Trevor is a mixed-race South African. It's not a nationality that lends itself to comedy automatically, which means he has to play it a bit straighter than Oliver can, which limits the ways he can appeal to the audience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"