• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

The Daily Show Thread

I find Samantha Bee to be too harsh and too much of an ideologue. You need someone slightly laid-back. Jon Stewart had a liberal bent obviously, but I found him to be fairly laid-back, and usually quite fair. Every time I see her show, Bee is being incredulous or outraged. It's the same reason I never cared for the Young Turks or Keith Olbermann.

Sam Bee goes for the throat really hard. I love her show and she does a great job, but I don't think she's right for The Daily Show. Stewart was good at going after both sides of the aisle, though her rightly went after the right more.

No, she could certainly be a part of the show, but as host she is way too hostile. No one right of Nancy Pelosi would go on the show.

I love Charlie Brooker's stuff. Brooker is very cynical, sarcastic and irreverent yet very accurate in his satirical take downs.

Brooker's bit on the Gay Marriage vote back in 2013
[YT]/B4g3tQwvjrM[/YT]
The reason why Oliver works better is because he's from a familiar nationality that Americans can "accept" conceptually. Oliver is every American's stereotypical mental image of an Englishman; heavy accent, giant glasses, skinny, weak chin, big nose and prone to flying off into finger-wagging rants a la John Cleese. Oliver himself is part of the joke, and he knows it; Americans who agree with his viewpoints appreciate him on that level, whereas Americans who disagree with him or don't like foreigners commenting on their politics can at least enjoy his schtick as the perpetually outraged Brit.

John Oliver is aware of his image and plays up to being a stereotype.

Of course The Daily Show sends over pastries to The Nightly Show while Sam Bee, Colbert and Oliver sent over booze.

The interview that Trevor Noah conducted with Sharlto Copley was...awkward. I was expecting some banter between the two in Afrikaans but Noah was pretty confrontational from the start. In fact, Copley walked off (on camera) at the end of the heavily edited chat!

The interview that Trevor Noah conducted with Sharlto Copley was...awkward. I was expecting some banter between the two in Afrikaans but Noah was pretty confrontational from the start. In fact, Copley walked off (on camera) at the end of the heavily edited chat!

It was kind of random that Noah asked him if he gets hate for being a white South African. As far as I know it had nothing to do with the film he was promoting. The interviewed seemed a bit awkward.

I get that Trevor Noah has hard feelings toward white South Africans given the country's history, but bringing it up with Copley seems rather unkind and unprofessional. By all accounts Copley's a nice guy who isn't a racist, and he was on to promote a movie.

It was kind of random that Noah asked him if he gets hate for being a white South African. As far as I know it had nothing to do with the film he was promoting. The interviewed seemed a bit awkward.

Yeah, i think even the studio audience were taken aback by that exchange. Copley was there to promote a comedy.:loco:
I get that Trevor Noah has hard feelings toward white South Africans given the country's history, but bringing it up with Copley seems rather unkind and unprofessional. By all accounts Copley's a nice guy who isn't a racist, and he was on to promote a movie.

Noah's black mother got arrested a number of times for being in a interracial relationship with his white father.So i understand why he has a chip on his shoulder.

But even if you feel this way i don't think it's right to guilt-trip white South Africans.Certainly not one who doesn't have a history of being racially abusive.:huh:

Yeah, he did make it personal.

I make no bones about most conservative chicks being pretty hot, but once that mouth opens, it's all over.

Words cannot describe exactly how much I hate that woman.

All I can think when it comes to Tomi Lahren is that someone made a wish to a genie that Ann Coulter looked hot and that Lahren is the end result.

zojPQwz.jpg

Yes. Hopefully they didn't tape it too early.

I miss Jon. His "the white guy feels his country's being taken from him" speech is one of his all time greats and is more relevant than ever thanks to the election.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"