The Danger Room Sequence!

I think it's definitely down to the writing. And Singer's style of storytelling relies on a cool moodiness and people having internalised turmoils.. it's all in mood and subtext ....which worked fine but we could have done with some added warmth along the way as we got to see more of the characters.

Also, the focus being put on Wolverine meant it often wasn't on other characters' feelings... but i can also understand the need to give a stronger focus to some characters so the movie itself had more focus.

Additionally, in order to create conflict between characters, they often are portrayed as acting in ways that seem selfish and uncaring so that they come into conflict and create drama. This happens in many movies and other types of storytelling.

There is also the aspect of not having a lot of time to spend on characters in an ensemble movie like X-Men, so we don't get lots of character moments and we are left to fill in the gaps.

While the focus of the X-movies, so far at least, has not been on showing bonds between characters such as Storm and Jean, it is possible to show such bonds through small gestures and small pieces of dialogue.

We saw a clear bond of affection and long-standing friendship between Storm and Beast in X3 - the part where they comment on each other's hair (a bit cheesy but nonetheless a moment of affection) and when they talk on the couch about whether a cure is something a mutant might want...it's in the gestures and smiles as much as anything.

For better or for worse, the 'Wolverine' role has been the star role in the films. In X1 Logan fails to stop Magneto and Cyclops is the one who stops the machine. Logan being up there only saved Rogue. Cyclops saved the world leaders. In X3's final battle Storm stops the oncoming mutants dead in their tracks with lightning bolts but then just stops using them. Huh? I would have liked to see Storm at least try to take out Phoenix with a lightning bolt even if she got her ass kicked. The films have clearly been a star vehicle for Jackman solely.

I agree with your comment, we never really saw the X-Men work as a team even in the final battle they were doing their own thing and as a team they should've helped bring Jean back, even though she was Dark Phoenix, she would have fought them, but not killed them...It should've been like the comics/cartoon, Beast/Storm/Colossus/Gambit/Rogue/Iceman fighting her, Logan and Cycke tryin to reason with her

I would've loved to seen her absorb Storm's lightning attacks,Iceman freezing her and she melts the ice, Rogue trying to absorb her, but she gets knocked back, her delfecting Gambit's cards back at him...all this is what makes an Epic battle and does any1 else think the physic battle should've been left for the end and the only person dying was Prof. X??

I'm just saying that this place has been dead for a reason - that we have mostly discussed everything that can be discussed. If some new information were released for us to debate, then great; but other than that, we've covered all the possible debates... It all just feels like stale food reheated endlessly in a microwave.

However, if you want to debate it, go ahead. It just doesn't sound like anything new.

You don't like it?

Don't participate in the discussion. That simple.

While the focus of the X-movies, so far at least, has not been on showing bonds between characters such as Storm and Jean, it is possible to show such bonds through small gestures and small pieces of dialogue.

We saw a clear bond of affection and long-standing friendship between Storm and Beast in X3 - the part where they comment on each other's hair (a bit cheesy but nonetheless a moment of affection) and when they talk on the couch about whether a cure is something a mutant might want...it's in the gestures and smiles as much as anything.

You forget that Singer did that with his X-films all the time, whether it was a warm moment between Xavier & Cyclops in the infirmary, Wolverine & Rogue on the train, Cyclops & Jean at the museum or at the dam, etc etc.

You don't like it?

Don't participate in the discussion. That simple.

I don't see you participating either. Was your only purpose to come in here and be confrontational?

You don't like that? Then don't participate. Simple as that...with bells on it.

You forget that Singer did that with his X-films all the time, whether it was a warm moment between Xavier & Cyclops in the infirmary, Wolverine & Rogue on the train, Cyclops & Jean at the museum or at the dam, etc etc.

He didn't do it 'ALL THE TIME' - that's why many people say the movies lacked warmth and camaraderie. There was very little warmth - the scene with Jean and Logan in the infirmary at the end of X1 has warmth, for sure. Character moments and quiet dialogue are not the same as warmth. There is little warmth in SR either - it's his style of storytelling. It's an observation more than a criticism, as I enjoyed his X-movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"