X-MEN 3: Bryan Singer's version.

Come on, Maniac.

You said 'Is that not why people love you? = isn't that why people love you?

Did you mean 'Is that why people do not love you'?

See what i mean? Did you get your nots in a knot?

Well that's funny. Because everytime someone posts something about how X3 "could have, should have" been different in any way, etc, etc, you seem to feel threatened and respond to the post right away telling people to basically stop wasting their time. And it's always you. It's like you can't stand people not tolerating X3 or simply not accepting it. While you might find the action altruistic in nature :-)whatever:) it's also another way of telling people to stop bashing the movie you love. That's the way you come across as.

It's not every time. A helluva lot of bashing goes on without any intervention or response from me.

The way I see it, I'm just adding my views. Even you responded when someone suggested all of X3 be written offf as a dream or an illusion.

It's like you're the self appointed mod of the X3 boards, as far as I've seen, you practically police the place.

And now you are policing me! And you actually believe I am acting lke a mod, as though that is a bad thing to act like. Weird. Are some people here so threatened by common sense?

X-Maniac said:
I really think you are overreacting. I don't really have a problem with most people on these boards.

This is all because I might sometimes say 'it's been three years since the movie, isn't it time to move on?', which to me sounds a perfectly logical viewpoint to add to a debate.

It's logical, but if people want to spend some time wondering about what could have been (And this movie had plenty of potential) then why would they suddenly stop? Especially if no one is getting hurt or bothered by it...Unless, of course, that you are. Is this bothering you, Maniac?

The movie won't be unmade or remade for you, me or anyone else. There are loads of films I loathe, but i don't find forums just so i can go and on about them.

The only person I see "going on and on" about anything here, is you.

But anyway, consider me. When X3 came out, I never even bothered to come to this boards to spew a vitriolic rant. No, I never cared that much. Almost 3 years later, I come here mostly out of curiosity. I hated the FF films, but I hardly ventured in those. I think I have made "one" post in the entirety of the Wolverine board. Not a positive one, but...

I don't attack all 'anti-X3' posts or posters, there are many such threads I've left alone. I come on here to chat/discuss/debate and add my views.

Oh I'm sure, but the only thread active threads sure are filled with your posts, and posts where people discuss your attitude :hehe:

If someone doesn't like me telling them to move on, then they should explain why they are not going to move on and why they can't let go of the film. Let's hear some logical, intelligent debate about why you shouldn't let go of hating the movie after three years.

I don't know about anyone else, but I pretty much forgot this movie the minute I left the theater. Now, obviously regulars in here have not been able to do that, but why would they? Because it's unhealthy and pointless? The same thing could be said of you, as you seem to have a personal problem with these individuals (and now myself) wishing for something different. It's their time. If they are wasting their time, then so are you by telling them so.

You said 'Is that not why people love you? = isn't that why people love you?

Did you mean 'Is that why people do not love you'?

See what i mean? Did you get your nots in a knot?

You're an intelligent man, I'm sure I don't have to point you to the meaning of the word "sarcasm." Perhaps you're even being sarcastic right now, as I'm sure you knew what I meant.

It's not every time. A helluva lot of bashing goes on without any intervention or response from me.

The way I see it, I'm just adding my views. Even you responded when someone suggested all of X3 be written offf as a dream or an illusion.

Well, that's because it was a dumb idea, or at least unnecessary. Either do a sequel that owns up to what happened in the previous film, or forget everything and start from scratch a couple of years down the line.

And now you are policing me!

You are not wrong...

And you actually believe I am acting lke a mod, as though that is a bad thing to act like. Weird. Are some people here so threatened by common sense?

Common sense? All I see is a petulant man in love with the sound of his own words, oh and the belittling bit. You and I are not so different, perhaps.

Anyway, I suppose we better "cut it out" before a mod becomes involved. Although, considering that this board is all but dead except for you and me these days (but mostly you) ... If you happen to respond, I'll oblige, lest they close the boards and you my friend are left without an X3 board to cling to.

X-Maniac I'll add only this:

Why should people be (rudely) told to shut up or to "just let it go" when it comes to what could have been of X-men 3...Aren't we in the X-men: The Last Stand forum, which is established for fans and detractors alike to chat about the positives, and yes, even the negatives of the forum's subject matter?

^I dont know about you guys but no one has ever or will ever tell when and were I can air my views, same goes for anyone on here, so just air them and if people have a problem ignore them and lets get back on topic here.

Last edited:
I guess Bryan wouldn't **** up Rogue so badly.
Brett did.... I still hate him for that when I see the movie.

I guess Bryan wouldn't **** up Rogue so badly.
Brett did.... I still hate him for that when I see the movie.

Didn't Bryan turn Rogue into an quiet, insecure little girl who isn't pretty and looks up to Wolverine? She also can't fly and doesn't have super strength.

didnt brett do nothing with rogue all through out the film then give her the cure at the end to pretty much end her future as an X man :)

didnt brett do nothing with rogue all through out the film then give her the cure at the end to pretty much end her future as an X man :)

Well, Anna wasn't available very much, so they had to rewrite her part and boost Kitty's role in the film.

Also, Rogue was made to represent the negative/vulnerable side of being a mutant, she is the emotional part of the X-Men story.

As a comic book fan, I didn't like the fact the character was so toned down, but viewing it as mainstream viewer, her story arc makes sense because her power was such a disadvantage. Her taking the cure resolves her story arc, athough I'd prefer the deleted scene in which she doesn't take it.

I don't think we were ever going to get the comic book version - the first film set up Rogue as insecure/vulnerable and the other films followed that through.

It was quite sad how Rogue only ever used her power once in X-men 3, and technically it was Colossus who initiated the power exchange.

i know! i just got done watching the last stand on FX and i will just never e able to forgive the blatant mistakes the writing crew made!

terrible mistakes! a waste of great actor's talent that could have really carried a more dramatic story.

anna, famke, and james were incredibly under used. and the three of them in my eyes should have had the most focus within the movie. along with patrick and ian, of course!

jean and scott with the whole phoenix story, plus xavier with the terrible things he's done, and eric the manipulator, and ororo having a few good friend scenes

and rogue struggling to decide what to do. take the cure? or not? with obviously good supporting roles of logan, bobby, and kitty

thats what was really missed in the movie. the equations were all wrong.

Yea they just showed the movie on ShowCase up here in Canada.

The only consolation with Anna's role in the flick is that she was something like 5th or 6th billing, though nothing beats her X-men "and Anna Paquin" billing :p

i just watched it last night and Halle Berry's boost of screen time just feels like attention seeking, u can almost see it in her eyes

and the scene where kitty is standing outside looking at jeans,scotts and Xavias Grave just looks arkward and im not 100% sure what the director wanted us to feel at that point, as it looked silly

and as for rogues role, apart from bein linked to the comics, it really had no purpose there apart from trying to give her a happy ending

i have loads of problems with this film, but my lil bro loved it as he likes wolverine

i remember after X2 being hype when they said "we want to do an all wolverine based movie (what is now coming to life as origins) and in X3 we'll see lots of sentinels." then singer left and they did a crack job on X3.

X3 wasn't bad it's just they cut off a lot of things almost permanently (lotta deaths.) It's hard for them to continue it, short of a reboot. It's much easier to retcon in the comics than movies.

Yea they just showed the movie on ShowCase up here in Canada.

The only consolation with Anna's role in the flick is that she was something like 5th or 6th billing, though nothing beats her X-men "and Anna Paquin" billing :p

what do you mean? her and billing thing?

oh and how do you know who made the most, etc in the film?? ive wondered that. well i mean i know, but i wanna know numbers to compare actors.....

Billing as in the order of the actors/characters at the beginning/end credits.

In X-men, Anna Paquin was creditted in the "and" spot, (ie. Patrick Stewart, Ian Mckellen, Hugh Jackman, Famke Janssen...etc...and Anna Paquin), which is usually reserved for veteran actors or actors that are of high calibre.

Billing as in the order of the actors/characters at the beginning/end credits.

In X-men, Anna Paquin was creditted in the "and" spot, (ie. Patrick Stewart, Ian Mckellen, Hugh Jackman, Famke Janssen...etc...and Anna Paquin), which is usually reserved for veteran actors or actors that are of high calibre.

oh, ok. i actually noticed that a long time ago. i thought it was funny that she, (yes an oscar winner, but still...), got that "and title" when there were clearly more experienced actors involved.

and considering what huge names were involved in the third one, 5th or 6th is not bad at all!

No matter what Singer's idea was for X3, I bet the outcome would have been better than what we got (and I do enjoy X3 for what it is). And I bet Singer's version of X3 would have been much better than Superman Returns.

All in all, I think that Singer made a mistake by jumping on board for Superman. Oh well. Doesn't help to complain about it. Heh.

Didn't Bryan turn Rogue into an quiet, insecure little girl who isn't pretty and looks up to Wolverine? She also can't fly and doesn't have super strength.

Did you not see X2? All throughout the movie she was being set-up as being more confident, even flying the X-Jet at the end, not to mention stangin proud with the rest of the X-Men with an X-suit on right there in the Presidents room. X1 set her up as shy, i'll give you that, but in X2 she was anything but and was set-up for a larger role on the team, but that was all ****ed up in X3 by totally changing her character for back to X1 mode despite all the growth the character got in X2.

Idiotic film-making IMO for X3.

Did you not see X2? All throughout the movie she was being set-up as being more confident, even flying the X-Jet at the end, not to mention stangin proud with the rest of the X-Men with an X-suit on right there in the Presidents room. X1 set her up as shy, i'll give you that, but in X2 she was anything but and was set-up for a larger role on the team, but that was all ****ed up in X3 by totally changing her character for back to X1 mode despite all the growth the character got in X2.

Idiotic film-making IMO for X3.

She didn't fly the jet with much confidence. I hated how they handled Rogue in the entire trilogy, considering how Singer handled the character in the first two movies I never had much faith that he would make her into the Rogue I knew and loved in a third movie but I suppose he would have at least had her do more than what she did in X3.

She didn't fly the jet with much confidence. I hated how they handled Rogue in the entire trilogy, considering how Singer handled the character in the first two movies I never had much faith that he would make her into the Rogue I knew and loved in a third movie but I suppose he would have at least had her do more than what she did in X3.

Because she didnt know how to, this was evident, but she had the confidence to try, the Rogue from X1 and X3 wouldnt have IMO.

Really how is X3 Rogue less confident than the one in X2? Just because you didn't like the decision she made? She risked losing her friends for something she knew she wanted and She made a decision that would change her life.

When I first became a fan of X-Men, it was at the end of my childhood, pushing ever onward into early adolescence. It was first introduced to them by a kid on my bus who collected the X-Men trading cards. I was hooked and moved on from there. Rogue quickly became the character for me, she was sassy, sexy, unbelievably strong and yet tragically untouchable (what a great attribute for someone entering the uncomfortable world of teenage living).

Then Bryan Singer's X1 came about, I didn't have the internet yet, so the hype I heard was through peers and darnit was I excited. ROGUE was going to be in it! I got the film for my birthday on VHS and watched it. This was Rogue's origin story. The character of Rogue was handled with such dignity and grace, by the actors and director that I just fell in love with her all over again. And perhaps it resounded with me further, a character who can no longer love who she wants to for fear of losing them, as I was struggling with my sexuality (of course, how angsty!). The absolute shock of realization that things will never be the same, the fear of being close to people, the knowledge that you won't get to experience the same things that others will - and all of those things are handled clearly in the story, not just something my unconscious mind picked up on. And all of these things came to a soft resolve for her by the end of the film.

X2 came along, helmed by Bryan Singer again, and there wasn't a doubt in my mind that I wasn't going to enjoy it. I saw it and I fell further into the X-Men universe, drawn to the ever present theme of acceptance and fear and hope. Rogue has settled in, has a boyfriend with eyes only for her and she loves it. The new issues she is dealing with is how to be intimate with him and Wolverine comes flying up the drive and she smiles in delight, reminding me of the importance of the human connections we make and how the things we do affect others so completely. These characters were and are so real to me. During the raid she realizes she must help Logan, but cannot do it on her own, pleading with John and Bobby to do something, they would rather have ran away. Rogue finally gets another kiss after her first one (from X1) ended so horribly and for a brief second things seem to work out. But, like life, she is reminded that she is different and things just won't be that easy. But there is no moping about this issue, she doesn't pout over what happens with Bobby in his bedroom. She is speaking with his parents, interjecting "Bobby IS gifted." "You should see what he can do." In a sense she was defending her comfort with being a mutant and being surrounded by them. Taking a dramatic step forward, Rogue is confronted with heroic decision making in the next scene when she chooses to stop Pyro, a decision that no one else was going to make it seems. Embracing her power, she readily absorbs him and beckons the flames away. Asking later on the X-Jet, "When do we get uniforms?", speaks of her readiness to join the team of mutants, accepting what she is and wanting great things out of it. And then once again, with Bobby sitting back (not to knock on Bobby), Rogue becomes "sick of this kid's table *****!" and grabs the controls of a highly sophisticated jet, something she appears to have never done before, "piloting" it to rescue her family (the X-Men, Logan, the children). And even though this series of events leads to Jean's sacrifice (don't even get me started at how beautiful that was), Rogue is seen in the ranks of the X-Men at the end, in uniform, standing with Xavier as he tries to persuade the president to look towards a better tomorrow.

Alright, so then X3 comes along and craps all over that great setup. I understand that the short novel I just wrote was overly dramatic, it's just how I honestly feel. And the first two films really gave each character, no matter how insignifant their part may seem to anyone, a sense of dignity and a heart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"